How much should I tip the porter at Port of Miami ?

june123

It`s just over 2 years since we sailed out of POM and i can`t remember how much per case we should tip the porter who takes the luggage off you at the port prior to check in . Could somebody help ? Many thanks x

A buck per bag or more if the luggage is HEAVY awkward.

If with a group of people watch what exchanges between hands.

A dollar folded up can be made to look like more - but don't use

this as an excuse to stiff the bag handler.

I am saying it directly that if one person in a party is a bad egg

and tips poorly the tone for the porter may reflect on all in that

group. There really is no set firm scale to tip by. If with a group

set the tone early on by discussion. A family or individual use

your best judgment - if you arrive at the port by limo tip more

if you arrive by cab or shuttle bus a dollar or two per bag will

work. Arriving by NCL or other chartered bus have a discussion

so everyone tips basically on the same page.

It can be an awkward moment if you have to ask for change to

tip. Plan ahead so this doesn't happen.

Tips are a private function between you and the receiver.

And of course YMMV

I think about a buck a bag is pretty normal, maybe a little more. If we have 3 bags it is easy to give them a $5, but normally we only have a couple, so we stick with the $1 or maybe a little more per bag. As someone mentioned, they get paid more than most people realize. This doesn't mean stiff them, but no need to go overboard.

In Miami, there are usually 4 of us so we give the porter $10. I've seen the same porter at Miami on two different cruises but I don't think he remembered us but we did remember him. He was very helpful so I thought he deserved the $10. Still, I think $1 to $2 is what I've seen most people tip although I've also seen (a lot!) of people not tip anything. A tip is a tip, some do, some don't.

In Miami, there are usually 4 of us so we give the porter $10. I've seen the same porter at Miami on two different cruises but I don't think he remembered us but we did remember him. He was very helpful so I thought he deserved the $10. Still, I think $1 to $2 is what I've seen most people tip although I've also seen (a lot!) of people not tip anything. A tip is a tip, some do, some don't.

good post, everyone has to do what feels right for them. I still do not think stiffing them is the answer, but for many, if it doesn't bother them, it isn't my business.

Nor do I as I prefer to have my bags delivered and the contents intact.

I wish people wouldn't post stuff like that. It's completely untrue.

The porters curbside load bags into rolling metal bins that are then taken to the ship and loaded by forklift operators. The porters don't even take the bins to the ship. Nor do they have time to mess with anyones bag.

The average porter salary at POM is $42K. That's before tons of cash (untaxed) tips. It's not uncommon to hear of porters that hustle making 6 figures per year. And this is not 40 hours per week work.

I tip them because they provide a physical service to me, not because I think they are going to damage my bags or throw them out or something like that. It's all urban legend myth scare garbage.

Nor do I as I prefer to have my bags delivered and the contents intact.

I wish people wouldn't post stuff like that. It's completely untrue.

The porters curbside load bags into rolling metal bins that are then taken to the ship and loaded by forklift operators. The porters don't even take the bins to the ship. Nor do they have time to mess with anyones bag.

The average porter salary at POM is $42K. That's before tons of cash (untaxed) tips. It's not uncommon to hear of porters that hustle making 6 figures per year. And this is not 40 hours per week work.

I tip them because they provide a physical service to me, not because I think they are going to damage my bags or throw them out or something like that. It's all urban legend myth scare garbage.

We feel $1 per suitcase is plenty.

On our last cruise out of POM a few months ago, we didn't pay anything. The port was a complete mess & not a porter to be found.....and we were there at 11am. We finally found a group of luggage that belonged to a group of people coming off of a bus & I checked their tags (did not physically touch, just looked at them) to make sure they were on the same cruise. They were, so we rolled our 2 suitcases up & left them with the other suitcases. Still, no porter. :(

I think about a buck a bag is pretty normal, maybe a little more. If we have 3 bags it is easy to give them a $5, but normally we only have a couple, so we stick with the $1 or maybe a little more per bag. As someone mentioned, they get paid more than most people realize. This doesn't mean stiff them, but no need to go overboard.

indeed.... So don't try to be frugal here - or they might...

• 5 months later...
I have read tons of posts about tipping porters at embarkation but nothing about tipping when your bags arrive at your cabin. Is a tip customary for the people getting your bags to your cabin.

It couldn't hurt, but rare is the time that you'll actually see the person delivering it. Either it gets there before you do, or it's delivered and waiting outside your cabin when you're out exploring. At least this is my experience.

--Michael

This is really getting out of hand. Soon people will be saying just drop $1's like rose petals for every worker you see.

Yes, I always tip the porters a couple of bucks. However, to give some large tip to someone who will spend less than a minute with your bags is unnecessary especially considering they are already a $20/hr employee. They pick up your bag and put it into a bin....that is it. Everything else is handled by other people.

Edited by ray98