Perfectionist planning our first cruise

tismon

First, this forum is exactly what I was looking for. So thank you to the mods and the community for building this resource.

Into the question:

I tend to be a perfectionist while planning so that I can relax more during a trip and this is our first time shooting for a cruise. And wow, this is a different beast entirely from regular travel.

I will be researching everything and writing out many scenarios so this isn't a request to plan our trip for me. Rather, I'm hoping for the common pitfalls and tricks of the trade that would make this a lot easier. I've already dug into a dozen or so articles on this site (more on others) from the romatic cruises and honeymoon lines, to internet access and My First Cruise.

The purpose is for a delayed honeymoon (new job, no vacation until June) that was this past weekend. Now that the nuptial planning is officially done, time to get on that trip.

And as young newlyweds, cost is a factor. To help with that, I have about $1000 in Discover cashback that can be doubled with partner cruise lines.

So, points for me to start looking:

Discover Partners (* made the romantic list | # made the honeymoon list):

Celebrity Cruises *#

Princess Cruises *#

Royal Caribbean International#

Carnival Cruise Lines #

Holland America

Norwegian Cruise Line *

Also partners for shore activities:

Shore Excursions Group

Tour Sales

Tauck Tours

I'm leaning towards a Caribbean cruise and probably a western one to include Belize and specifically Cave Tubing.

----------------------------

I will probably use this as a public journal during planning to outline my process in case someone else would like to reference.

To start, I'm focusing on Celebrity and Princess at the moment and will definitely book some form of romance package.

Are you asking a question?

If you are planning on cruising the Caribbean in June through about September, most of your cruise line choices will have already left the area for Europe or Alaska. That will narrow your choices considerably.

Edited by 6rugrats

I'm mostly looking for suggestions, but I will definitely have more questions as I get deeper into this. And it looks like you just gave me one. I saw the gap in their schedules, but couldn't figure out why.

It can be for the fall as well. I haven't gotten to weather patterns just yet.

Should this thread go somewhere else?

Yes, only Carnival and one NCL ship will be there in the summer. Hurricane season runs June 1st through Nov 30th, with Sept statistically being the month with the most hurricanes. Also, ships will be full of children on vacation. Just something to think about.

Edited by 6rugrats

As 6rugrats has pointed out, if you are hoping to cruise between mid-May and October, your choices will be Carnival and Royal Caribbean, plus NCL Getaway and Sky from Miami. All the others will have gone to Alaska and Europe. Knowing what summers are like in MO, you might consider a cruise to Bermuda, or even Alaska. Being a Meticulous Planner, it might kill you to wait for bargains, but if you go to the websites of each of the major cruiselines and sign up for emails of deals/sails, you can sometimes get amazing prices.

You are going to factor airfare into any budget, unless you plan on driving to the departure port, and that can add significantly to the costs. EM

I'm mostly looking for suggestions, but I will definitely have more questions as I get deeper into this. And it looks like you just gave me one. I saw the gap in their schedules, but couldn't figure out why.

It can be for the fall as well. I haven't gotten to weather patterns just yet.

There is a forum for new cruisers so most of your questions may have been answered there

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=631

How is Jan/Feb for your schedule?

I would choose Princess or Celebrity for more adult type vacation

Nothing in life is perfect :D

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

No matter how much research you do and how much you plan, I hope that you can live with glitches when you finally take the cruise. Don't be one of those people who come back and say their cruise was ruined because some minor, or even worse thing goes wrong.

I agree with the Celebrity suggestion over the other lines you mentioned. Also agree something is bound to go wrong, so you can't let that spoil your cruise.

Plan your own shore excursions and don't book through the cruise line to save money. There is a Ports of Call section on this site where you can do research, or go to tripadvisor.com to see what attractions are at each port.

Purchase travel insurance through a third party.

Edited by 6rugrats

That's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for the tips.

It looks like this will be a fall trip then.

I meant to add Norwegian to the list, but can't edit yet it seems.

Just signed up with each of the lines. Although I'm a planner, cost is a variable worth being patient for.

And I plan to minimize issues, but so far don't have a history of stressing too much over little things

Thanks

EDIT: ...I clicked on the wrong section. I thought that I was in the First Time area. My fault.

Edited by tismon

That's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for the tips.

It looks like this will be a fall trip then.

I meant to add Norwegian to the list, but can't edit yet it seems.

Just signed up with each of the lines. Although I'm a planner, cost is a variable worth being patient for.

And I plan to minimize issues, but so far don't have a history of stressing too much over little things

Thanks

EDIT: ...I clicked on the wrong section. I thought that I was in the First Time area. My fault.

So does this mean you are planning to move your discussion to another section of CC? Just wanting to know, for those of us who nostalgically want to follow the progress of your first cruise planning... :rolleyes:

That would be best, but since I don't have the ability to move or delete this one without a mod's help, all that I can do is to repost, which is usually looked down on in other forums.

I think that Princess might be a better bet than Celebrity for a younger couple. I have only been on one cruise on each line but the Princess cruise (on Ruby) seemed to have more activities on sea days and the demographic seemed to skew a bit younger.

You might consider Alaska as a destination if you are into outdoor/adventure travel (the tubing in Belize made me think that you might be). I think that there are also repositioning cruises from the Pacific coast of Mexico up to Alaska that "might" fit within your time frame.

Thank you, I'll look into Princess a bit more.

My time frame is pretty open. I just hit the year mark with this job in June, but anytime after that is open.

We are typically adventurous and the next trip will be a Jackson Hole week in winter, but we've never just had a hands-off trip and could really use some relaxation.

Agree that Celebrity is very good, but possibly not as active as you might like.

If you decide to go with the Caribbean, one of the RC mega ships might work for you - Oasis or Allure. They can be a lot of kids during the summer - the ships are very family oriented. However, have sailed them in September/October and there are not as many kids on board.

Allure and Oasis definitely have the edge when it comes to on-board activities - rock climbing, full sports court, table tennis, shuffleboard, mini golf, zip line, ice skating - might have missed something (didn't mention all the pools), if you are an active couple. They also have excellent night-time entertainment and a mixed bunch of ages.

As you research the cruise you wish to take, also research the actual ship - even with ports of call you still spend a lot of time on the ship.

Good luck!

I think that Princess might be a better bet than Celebrity for a younger couple. I have only been on one cruise on each line but the Princess cruise (on Ruby) seemed to have more activities on sea days and the demographic seemed to skew a bit younger.

You might consider Alaska as a destination if you are into outdoor/adventure travel (the tubing in Belize made me think that you might be). I think that there are also repositioning cruises from the Pacific coast of Mexico up to Alaska that "might" fit within your time frame.

I haven't been on Celebrity, but my one Princess cruise was during Spring Break, on the Ruby Princess as well, and the demographic was so much older that it made me feel young, and I'm in my late 40's:eek:.

OP I would suggest booking when the kids are in school for off-season pricing and less kids (on any line). For a younger couple I would suggest Carnival, NCL, or RCCL. My experience has been finding the best deals on Carnival, but I do sail on other lines when price is not a main factor and the other lines offer what we are looking for at a price I am willing to pay. Do book insurance through a third party such as insure my trip.com. For excursions look on the port of call threads. You will find many inexpensive suggestions not through the cruiselines. Have fun planning.

You don't need to move your thread to the other forum, as I think more first timers post here than there.

As far as demographic goes, the longer the cruise, the older the demographic. The really short cruises, 5 days and under, have the youngest and the most families. Once you go over 7 days, it will skew much older, because younger folk don't have the money or accrue the vacation time for them. And the more exotic the cruise, the older the passengers, because they've already been everywhere else, and they are more expensive. EM

Hi there!

Congrats on the wedding and on ur first cruise, u r gonna love it! I started cruising in my late 20's and have done HAL, RCL, Princess, Celebrity and Norweign. I'm in my late 40's now and really think it's all what u r looking for to determine what line u choose. HAL , Princess and Celebrity r alittle more formal and tend to cater more toward relaxation versus multiple things to do, every minute of every day. Have only been on one Norweign and it was a Christmas cruise so I can't really give advice on that line. We have done quite a few cruises on RCL both with and without young children, teens and now adult children. Usually lots to do unless u go on one of there smaller ships the it's hit or miss, depending on the cruise activities staff. I think if u r looking for lots to do and a younger crowd stick to one of RCL's larger ships. We did the Allure a few years ago and it was awesome. If u r looking for really good deals in between thanksgiving and Christmas seem to b the cheapest, in my opionion. Especially right before Christmas.... Everyone is so busy!

As far as cruise tips.... I always tell everyone to take an extra plug for the outlet, u r lucky to get one or two in ur room! Also, be aware that they kick u off the ship first thing in the morning.... We just got back last Friday (12 days on the Quantium) and had to b out of our room at 7:45! If u do end up having to fly to the ship and book during the winter months I would suggest going a day early....u never know!

Good Luck,

Jacki

I don't think this is different from any other travel! While I do enjoy planning, I don't go "overboard" (pun intended!)..

We research where we're going...whether by land or sea! We decide what interests us, and if it needs pre-booking, we do that....otherwise, we sort of "go with the flow"...it is a vacation, after all...not a contest or marathon!

Edited by cb at sea

Although I'm not a perfectionist by any means, I LOVE planning for our cruises. Just a tip on what works for me in navigating the craziness that is cruise-planning - I set up a spreadsheet. I put all of the possible options for my family, and include everything that I need to make a decision. I have categories for the ship name, possible sailing dates, port of departure (only those in driving distance for us), stateroom prices for the lowest category that we will be interested in, and then also include dining options, ship entertainment, activity options, itinerary, any promos available, and year the ship was built (along with year of most recent dry-dock). I also pull up wikipedia to check out background information on the ships, pictures on Flickr, and also look for ship tours on Youtube. I don't read the reviews, but I do pay attention to what people say on CC and the line's FB page. This isn't necessary by any means, but something I genuinely enjoy in making cruise decisions. As we begin to narrow down and mark off (usually the most expensive and the least impressive itineraries are first to go), we have a good idea of what we want to go with, and also a reminder for why we didn't choose others. Happy planning! :)

You don't need to move your thread to the other forum, as I think more first timers post here than there.

As far as demographic goes, the longer the cruise, the older the demographic. The really short cruises, 5 days and under, have the youngest and the most families. Once you go over 7 days, it will skew much older, because younger folk don't have the money or accrue the vacation time for them. And the more exotic the cruise, the older the passengers, because they've already been everywhere else, and they are more expensive. EM

This is not necessarily true. The oldest average demographic we have seen on our 12 cruises was on our 5 night Ruby Princess out of FLL in March!!! I thought we would see Spring Breakers but instead we saw Snow Birds and groups from Florida Retirement Villages.

This is not necessarily true. The oldest average demographic we have seen on our 12 cruises was on our 5 night Ruby Princess out of FLL in March!!! I thought we would see Spring Breakers but instead we saw Snow Birds and groups from Florida Retirement Villages.

I would agree. We don't get a lot of vacation time so we DO try to do 7-day cruises, unless we are aiming for a quick getaway. We are either tent-camping on the weekends or planning our next cruise. lol

I also enjoy planning my vacations, though I don't consider it a perfectionist trait; rather, I see it as a determination to get the most value/best experience for the money we're spending.

Planning a cruise really isn't difficult -- just keep reading, and soon it won't seem overwhelming. If you do nothing but buy your cruise ticket, it'll be okay -- though not ideal.

You said budget is important, so let's start with that:

- A cruise, like most vacations, is kind of like raising a child. You can spend a lot, or you can spend frugally ... and in the long run, your results won't be significantly different. It's more about your attitude than how much you spend.

- Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think you're going to double that $1000 in Discover cash back. I use Discover too, and what you said didn't sound right -- so I just checked the website. The biggest cashback certificate you can choose for a cruise is $200 (I checked two cruise lines at random, but you should do your own research) ... and you can only use one certificate per stateroom. So you can turn your $1000 into $1200, but not $2000.

- However, all is not lost: Consider using some of that cash back for other cruise-related items. You're going to want to arrive a day early /spend the night near the port before you cruise. If you drive, you'll need meals on the road. Will you buy any clothes before the cruise? Consider getting a Discover gift card for yourself -- you can use this for excursions, for gratuities, etc. You can use cashback for these things; not double, but it's also not really money out of your pocket.

- When you're figuring up your budget, here's what you should plan for a FRUGAL trip: Cruise ticket + gratuities + transportation (including night-before hotel, meals, parking at port) + insurance + a small amount for onboard spending + excursions. You can find ways to skimp on many things, but this is a realistic list.

- You should buy travel insurance, but consider NOT buying it from the cruise line. They offer only full-service insurance that covers travel, luggage, medical, everything. We drive and our medical covers out of country expenses ... so we only want evacuation insurance (yes, you need this). By purchasing from an online vendor, I want to say we paid less than $30 for our whole family, but I'm not 100% certain my memory is right on that number. Consider, too, cancellation insurance; we don't always do it -- it depends up on how much the cruise cost, and how we'd feel walking away from that amount of money.

- Look into private excursions. They're not only less expensive, they're better. You'll be in a smaller group, and you'll have more control over your day.

- We always book a cruise to which we can drive. Driving instead of flying is significantly cheaper, and it makes packing easier.

Other thoughts:

- We like best to cruise in the fall. October weather is perfect in the Caribbean -- warm enough to wear shorts, you might want a light jacket walking on the deck in the evenings, but you won't find yourself sweating mid-day, and you won't be driven into the air conditioning by excessive heat. I suspect spring would be the same, but I haven't personally sailed then.

- I would avoid spring break and holidays. They'll command a high price, and the ship will be more crowded (giving you less value for your dollars).

- All rooms are not created equal, even at the same price. Look into the ones that give you an extra-large balcony or a superior location.

- Don't feel that you need to buy a bunch of stuff to cruise. You probably have all the clothes you need, and you really don't need much else. Do pack all the sunscreen, over-the-counter medicines, etc. that you're going to need -- they are very expensive to buy onboard.

Edited by MrsPete

Expect the unexpected. Don't plan so darn much. I like to have a general plan and then let the details unfold at the time.

If you plan everything, you are just setting yourself up for something to go wrong. Then you may be disappointed.

Planners are planners though. Just plan with a general idea of what you want to do, and then let the small stuff go.

This is your VACATION. Your reward for surviving the wedding planning. I didn't give a rat's behind what happened on my cruise. I was so glad not to have to think about wedding plans anymore.

Planning my wedding was second only to buying our home in terms of stress. Everyone has expectations, and everyone wants their expectations met. I was NOT going to be a bridezilla. I gave in on a lot of things I wanted. I am married to someone I love dearly. We are celebrating 20 years this year, but I kid you not- I would either stay in a loveless marriage Or never marry again just to avoid having to plan another wedding.

The cruise and the no rules and the no planning was perfect.