Dollars accepted in United Kingdom?

We're going on a British Isles cruise in May, which includes Ireland, Scotland, England , Orkney, Guernsey, and one stop in France. Do we have to get euros and pounds or will shops, pubs, etc., accept American dollars? Thanks!

Are pounds and Euros accepted in Illinois?

These currency questions constantly arise. I actually find it rude and condescending that a person from Illinois or anywhere else in the US would think that USD would be accepted in the UK where the currency is pound sterling. I have been to the US quite a number of times and would never dream of thinking I could spend Euros or GBP in NYC or San Francisco.

Yes, there are large stores like Marks and Spencer or Selfridges in major cities where they accept foreign currencies at a rate of exchange favourable to themselves, but you can't spend foreign currency in my local Tesco shop and I live in central London.

I go to the Eurozone on a frequent basis and certainly don't expect to pay with GBP. I use Euros or a card.

So, maybe a little respect for other nations and a tiny bit of research will ensure that travellers know that in the UK we use Sterling, in Ireland and France they use Euros. Nowhere do they use US Dollars.

We are also rapidly going towards a cashless society. In London contactless cards are becoming the normal method of payment for public transport and many small items like newspapers.

These currency questions constantly arise. I actually find it rude and condescending that a person from Illinois or anywhere else in the US would think that USD would be accepted in the UK where the currency is pound sterling. I have been to the US quite a number of times and would never dream of thinking I could spend Euros or GBP in NYC or San Francisco.

Where is the "Like" button when you need it?

I don't blame you for feeling this way. Unfortunately a number of Americans feel it is their right to force dollars on other countries. Too many will get the "its the best currency around" or "we are the biggest richest country in the world" or "we saved your butt is WW2" attitudes, and then wonder why people in other countries think we are rude or jerks.

Or, in some cases, some will think it is too much effort to get the proper currency on our own, and expect the business person to be grateful for our spending money there, and expect the business to eat the time and cost of exchange.

I am embarrassed every time I see someone ask if they can use dollars in Britain, or Italy, or Germany, or wherever.

Edited by CruiserBruce

As mentioned earlier, euros are accepted in larger retailers

"Accepted" doesn't really address the issue of price -- the cost of doing business in a foreign currency. Just because a retailer will let you pay for something in a currency other than the local currency doesn't mean a traveler should want to use a foreign currency. The conversion rate at a department store will not be as favorable as the conversion rate from a bank's ATM.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I cringe when I read one of these posts for a fellow US citizen, but I'm not sure all the posters are being rude and condescending. Not that naïve -- clueless -- is a whole lot better, but I don't think Europeans understand just how insular most Americans are. They can travel far greater distances than the span of Europe and still be within US borders. As a result, a frightening percentage of Americans don't have much experience coping in a foreign country. Put another way, they don't even know enough to know what they don't know.

If Americans' previous experience has been cruising in the Caribbean, that only reinforces cruiser ignorance. Most of the islands of the Caribbean will accept US dollars. With that background, what seems like a ridiculous question to Europeans or experienced US travelers, seems like a reasonable option.

There is also a vast difference between Europe and most of the rest of the world, there are huge swaths of the planet that I have traveled, the entire Western Hemisphere, large portions of Asia, Africa and the Middle East where US dollars are happily accepted and in many places at better than the official exchange rate.

That being said, there just isn't much need for cash, other than a little pocket money, while traveling around Europe.

Yes, there are large stores like Marks and Spencer or Selfridges in major cities where they accept foreign currencies at a rate of exchange favourable to themselves, but you can't spend foreign currency in my local Tesco shop and I live in central London.

I go to the Eurozone on a frequent basis and certainly don't expect to pay with GBP. I use Euros or a card.

So, maybe a little respect for other nations and a tiny bit of research will ensure that travellers know that in the UK we use Sterling, in Ireland and France they use Euros. Nowhere do they use US Dollars.

We are also rapidly going towards a cashless society. In London contactless cards are becoming the normal method of payment for public transport and many small items like newspapers.

At least the person who started this thread did so with a question.

If you think some folks can be insular, then read the first couple of pages of the thread in the link below where a couple of posters from Oklahoma were running Martinique, an integral part of France, the EU and the Eurozone, down and saying they didn't deserve US tourists as they wouldn't accept dollars. All because the poster has, and I quote, 'a problem with places that tell cruise visitors that they will not accept US dollars at all'.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2101403

Edited by Corfe Mixture

To be fair to the OP, there are many places that cheerfully accept Dollars instead of their own (shaky) currencies. In Egypt a couple of years ago, it was made clear to me that Dollars would be fine, thank you very much. My daughter has been advised that in Tanzania, Dollars are welcome as an alternative to the Tanzanian shilling (They aren't so keen on Euros apparently). In Turkey, the cafes and shops were happy to accept almost any solid currency.

Cruisers on shore excursions do not really have a great need for local currency. Large purchases (rug anyone?) can be made with a card, leaving only the smaller ones like coffee. Buying Turkish Lira or Egyptian pound in advance to save a couple of percentage points on the rate is simply not worthwhile.

Even people on a pre/post visit to the UK may not have a huge need for GPPs. All the major stuff - hotel, transport, restaurants etc can be paid with a card or in advance. I am sure that we all have a drawer with a good collection of foreign currency that was left over, but not worth changing back - souvenirs maybe, but not good business.

I totally understand that there are places in the world that accept USD and other currencies, but surely if you are going on a foreign holiday and possibly, the holiday of a lifetime, part of the research is finding out what is there? Not only what there is to see in each place, but the local language, culture and (importantly) currency.

In the UK we are very pleased we are not part of the Eurozone, especially as our economy is much better for not being a part of it. When European countries changed from their 'old' currencies like Francs, Lira, Pesetas etc they felt they were losing part of their identity.

Many years ago I worked in Israel where it was far better to trade in the local shops in USD than Shekels. I think in many parts of the world those days are long gone. Many countries these days would be just as happy to do business in GBP and Euros.

I think I will have to try and skip over these silly currency questions in the future. Not good for my blood pressure. Along with the other questions about pickpockets.

1. They asked a question. Many countries accept US currency in preference to their own; the OP was only asking. Don't be so touchy that someone doesn't know as much as you would like about our country.

2. A tiny bit of research? The OP asked a question on a site where people know the answer. What's that, if not research?

I totally understand that there are places in the world that accept USD and other currencies, but surely if you are going on a foreign holiday and possibly, the holiday of a lifetime, part of the research is finding out what is there? Not only what there is to see in each place, but the local language, culture and (importantly) currency.

In the UK we are very pleased we are not part of the Eurozone, especially as our economy is much better for not being a part of it. When European countries changed from their 'old' currencies like Francs, Lira, Pesetas etc they felt they were losing part of their identity.

Many years ago I worked in Israel where it was far better to trade in the local shops in USD than Shekels. I think in many parts of the world those days are long gone. Many countries these days would be just as happy to do business in GBP and Euros.

I think I will have to try and skip over these silly currency questions in the future. Not good for my blood pressure. Along with the other questions about pickpockets.

DITTO, well put!

To be fair to the OP, there are many places that cheerfully accept Dollars instead of their own (shaky) currencies. In Egypt a couple of years ago, it was made clear to me that Dollars would be fine, thank you very much. My daughter has been advised that in Tanzania, Dollars are welcome as an alternative to the Tanzanian shilling (They aren't so keen on Euros apparently). In Turkey, the cafes and shops were happy to accept almost any solid currency.

Cruisers on shore excursions do not really have a great need for local currency. Large purchases (rug anyone?) can be made with a card, leaving only the smaller ones like coffee. Buying Turkish Lira or Egyptian pound in advance to save a couple of percentage points on the rate is simply not worthwhile.

Even people on a pre/post visit to the UK may not have a huge need for GPPs. All the major stuff - hotel, transport, restaurants etc can be paid with a card or in advance. I am sure that we all have a drawer with a good collection of foreign currency that was left over, but not worth changing back - souvenirs maybe, but not good business.

I am doing a post cruise visit to the UK plus while on the ship doing ship excursions. I know tipping is a big topic around here but we do need to have SOME local currency for tips. I don't think people in the British Isles, Ireland or Europe want US dollars for tips.

At least the person who started this thread did so with a question.

If you think some folks can be insular, then read the first couple of pages of the thread in the link below where a couple of posters from Oklahoma were running Martinique, an integral part of France, the EU and the Eurozone, down and saying they didn't deserve US tourists as they wouldn't accept dollars. All because the poster has, and I quote, 'a problem with places that tell cruise visitors that they will not accept US dollars at all'.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2101403

Ugly Americans should just stay home and mow their lawns.

I am doing a post cruise visit to the UK plus while on the ship doing ship excursions. I know tipping is a big topic around here but we do need to have SOME local currency for tips. I don't think people in the British Isles, Ireland or Europe want US dollars for tips.

Smart move. I'll also point out that there are smaller restaurants that won't take a credit card.

I just finished two weeks in the UK and used a credit card for two things the entire time. My one day car rental and a bottle of wine at Duty Free as I was out of cash. Otherwise I paid anything not prepaid with cash. It was nice coming home to a credit card bill with a whopping $160 on it. :)

If they won't take a credit card then we won't be eating there as we won't have enough cash. Don't know if we will be back again so don't want too much foreign currency left over.

Depends on where & how long you will be there

Take some local currency for small purchases or if they do not accept CC

You can always get a few GBP from an ATM with your bank card (be sure to let them know you are travelling )

If we have money left over I usually buy something at the airport ..food or gifts

For tips if on the bill I round up, same for taxis

I prefer to take local currency then no big CC bill waiting for me when we get home but that is just me

YMMV

We are spending 5 day in the UK after the cruise so I am taking cash then I am not stuck searching for places that take CC if I am hungry ;)

Lyn

Hi dickinson - I would suggest that you always check before you go into a restaurant whether they accept credit cards as there are indeed many smaller establishments who do not take them.

Also check which cards are accepted as there are many establishments of all sizes which do not accept American Express.

Wouldn't want you to be embarrassed.

Thanks all for the info on restaurants. We will check before we sit down. We plan on using our master card because of no foreign transaction fees. If not than our AMEX so we will be sure to make sure they take it if necessary. We will be in London for two full days after our cruise.

Where do you dine, Scriv & Ducklite ?

Lunch trucks?

Market stalls?

Greasy-Spoon cafes?

The Outer Hebrides?

I don't recall any UK restaurant or pub in the past decade or two that hasn't accepted Visa or MasterCard.

That includes an awful lot of small establishments too. :)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

:D

Lunch trucks?

Market stalls?

Greasy-Spoon cafes?

The Outer Hebrides?

I don't recall any UK restaurant or pub in the past decade or two that hasn't accepted Visa or MasterCard.

Beat me to it JB. We eat out quite a lot and I cannot recall a pub or a restaurant that didn't accept my cards. There are a few places that do not like American Express because of its high charges, but they are not so common as they once were.

Evem the Golden Arches take cards these days; chip and pin and contactless. I don't know what they would do with a non-chipped card though.

Oh dear: I just re-read your post. I thought that Scriv & Ducklite was a chain that I had not heard of....:D

Edited by Bob++

If they won't take a credit card then we won't be eating there as we won't have enough cash. Don't know if we will be back again so don't want too much foreign currency left over.

You should be able to figure out approximately how much currency you'll need and take that plus a small cushion from an ATM. They are on every street corner in the UK.

Lunch trucks?

Market stalls?

Greasy-Spoon cafes?

The Outer Hebrides?

We stopped at a coffee/tea shop in Chiswick that didn't take cards. Also for sure some of the market stalls won't. One of the pubs we ate at in Lambeth was having trouble with their credit card machine that day and had a note on the door that they were sorry for the inconvenience but cash only that day.

Ha Ha - well, I have been in some smaller establishmentsand pubs only recently in Winchester and area that have not been able to take cards and have had several occasions of my AMEX card being declined.

Scriv and Ducklite would of course accept both as a progessive chain of eateries lol

My credit card that has no foreign transaction fees has no chip. I was told by them that the info can be entered manually. I hope they are right as my other card is an Amex with 2.7% foreign transaction fee (although does give cash back - 2% in restaurants so ultimately only .7% fee).

There are some smaller establishments in the UK where they have a minimum spend to use a CC, say £10, but those places are few and far between. I wouldn't call a small coffee shop in Chiswick exactly a restaurant.

I can't remember going to a restaurant that doesn't accept cards for years. There are many places throughout Europe that don't accept Amex,so best to use Visa or Mastercard.