Cruise Trip (no passport required)?

wz243

Does anyone know if a passport is required to go on a cruise trip to Alaska? Are there any other cruise routes that do not require a passport?

If the cruise is totally in Alaska, then you're not leaving the USA, so no, no passport is required.

If it is a closed loop trip (starting and finishing in the same US port, it's not needed, even if there's a stop in Canada, but it is recommended.

Check NCL's T&Cs for full details.

Does anyone know if a passport is required to go on a cruise trip to Alaska? Are there any other cruise routes that do not require a passport?

A passport is recommended . There are excursions in Skagway that require a passport (birth Certificate and Gov't picture aren't acceptable).

Canada requires a passport if you cross the border in Skagway .

On a closed loop cruise, leaving and returning to the same US city, a US citizen needs a government issued birth certificate and government issued photo ID. If you have to cross a land border on a shore excursion then you would need a passport, passport card, or enhanced drivers license. If you needed to leave the cruise and fly back then a passport would be required or an emergency travel document from a Consulate.

A passport is recommended . There are excursions in Skagway that require a passport (birth Certificate and Gov't picture aren't acceptable).

Canada requires a passport if you cross the border in Skagway .

Skaway is in Alaska; why would a US citizen need a passport for this city? If they sail NCL Seattle to Seattle they should be ok

Skaway is in Alaska; why would a US citizen need a passport for this city? If they sail NCL Seattle to Seattle they should be ok

They don't, but there are excursions that go up into the Yukon, which is Canada. A popular one is a bus to Carcross and then the train back (or the other way round).

I am assuming that they were talking about excursions (train ride) into the Canadian Yukon Territory. It would also apply if a port stop is anywhere in Canada (Victoria/Vancouver). :)

Keep in mind that if you are outside the US and need to fly home, a Passport Book is required. A Passport Card is only good for land or sea travel. Why the restriction? ... I have no idea.

I always carry my passport book anytime I leave the country ... no matter what country it is. You just never know.

The only cruise route that I can think of that doesn't need a passport would be a Hawaiian Island itinerary.

Edited by Tarheel_Cruiser

Without a passport you can cruise on the Pride of America within the Hawaiian islands.

Without a passport I believe you can cruise Alaska round trip Seattle. Tho you still need a BC and govt photo ID.

It may also be that you can cruise Alaska without a passport on the Alaskan Marine Highway. Suggest you verify this.

I am assuming that they were talking about excursions (train ride) into the Canadian Yukon Territory. It would also apply if a port stop is anywhere in Canada (Victoria/Vancouver). :)

Keep in mind that if you are outside the US and need to fly home, a Passport Book is required. A Passport Card is only good for land or sea travel. Why the restriction? ... I have no idea.

I always carry my passport book anytime I leave the country ... no matter what country it is. You just never know.

The only cruise route that I can think of that doesn't need a passport would be a Hawaiian Island itinerary.

A US citizen on a port stop in Canada does not require a passport as long as it's a closed loop cruise (just clarifying you fir paragraph).

Cruise routes that require a passport are plenty, but for NCL's Hawaii cruises you only need a government issued photo ID (while on CCL's Hawaii cruises you would need a birth cert/Gov't issued photo ID or EDL or passport card or passport since they are closed loop cruises that entail a stop in a foreign port).

As said excursions into Canada require passports. This is actually a US requirement for entry .

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

As said excursions into Canada require passports. This is actually a US requirement for entry .

One could also use a passport card or enhanced drivers license for crossing/re-entry.

We have taken two cruises on NCL - one to Alaska and one to the Western Caribbean, without passports.

We have had no issues. There was one excursions to the Yukon we couldn't take, but there were other options.

You do not need a passport to get off the ship and go into Victoria in Canada.

• 1 month later...

If you plan to take the train excursion in Skagway you will need a passport since it goes just across the Canadian border before returning. They will not let you on that train excursion without a passport.

There is one train trip that will not require a passport - the Summit RT Excursion. This one simply goes to the summit and back to Skagway. The trains that go beyond this point - to Fraser and Carcross will require a passport to be shown at Fraser (entering Canada) and again at the US border crossing on the return to Skagway.

They recommend a passport,for Alaska. On cruises roundtrip from Seattle spend 3 days in Canadian waters. If you have be medivaced it will be to Canadian health care facility. Then you'll need passport cross the US border.

The State Department has the authority under the regulations to waive the passport requirements for emergencies or for humanitarian reasons. I would be no more concerned about taking a closed loop cruise involving Canada as I am in taking a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean.

If you plan to take the train excursion in Skagway you will need a passport since it goes just across the Canadian border before returning. They will not let you on that train excursion without a passport.

See post 13:).

ANY cruise that leaves from a U.S. port and returns to a U.S. port on a closed loop cruise DOES NOT REQUIRE A PASSPORT.

You can cruise Bermuda, Caribbean, Bahamas and the East Coast as well as the West Coast (Catalina, Ensenada and Mexico) You can even take the 14 day West Coast departures from L.A. to Hawaii without the passport as the distant foreign port is a stop somewhere in Mexico as well).

Do not limit your cruising to just Alaska if you enjoy cruising. Be sure you have a properly issued CERTIFIED Birth Certificate issued by the state or county you were born in.

do you need a passport? Absolutely no, should you have one:absolutely yes. it is once every 10 year investment and offers so much protection. Who know where your next cruise will take you and who knows what the cost of passports might be, even a year from now?

On another NOTE:

A PASSPORT is the best ID for travel by air to anywhere whether it is required

or not. A passport trumps the Drivers License even the enhanced ones and

also you do not need to take a flimsy certified paper copy of the birth certificate.

If one does a great deal of foreign travel look into the Global Entry Program

which speeds you through the airport TSA check points and also back into

the country after foreign travel - cost $100 for 5 years.

Yes there is a modest expense in the first time application for the passport

but when taking a cruise it makes the filling out of the cruise documents a

breeze with no further questions asked.

So you don't have one then questions like the title of the this thread happen

resulting in further confusion i.e. the White Pass and Yukon train travel at

Skagway.

Once you have a passport good for 10 years the renewal is relatively easy

and almost effortless - photo upgrade and any address or other notable changes.

Even if you have Travel Accident insurance the lack of passport may hinder

your timely entry back into the country - you don't need this kind of stress

trying to recover from an unforeseen event.

Canada doesn't recognize passport cards anymore. They are too easily forged.

First I've heard of it, got a link (and passport cards are made with the same RIFD technology used with passports so I'm not sure that they are all that easy to forge)? I know that one of the provinces no longer issues EDL's because there wasn't enough interest in them to justify it.