Upgrade offer???

I would not hesitate when it comes to an Alaskan cruise, for sure! I loved being able to see the glaciers, seals, etc when I woke up in the morning! Alaska is an itinerary where a cabin view is a significant part of the enjoyment. Unless you are a very early riser, who has time to get up, wash up, get dressed and go to an outside deck by sun-up(or at least morning:-)), it would be worth it in my opinion. My first cruise to Alaska we had an inside; my husband rose early, took pix of what I missed! Not as much fun seeing the seals on rocks and icebergs in a picture; so next time I had an OV!

7 days Alaska!

Personally, I would pass. I recognize this is a contrarian view.

The oceanviews, with some very rare exceptions (forward-facing balconies with restricted access at sea that are sold as oceanviews) do not have a view out the window from any seated position, and assuming you'll have the bed made up as a queen, no close-to-the-window standing position. So the viewing is really limited.

For the natural light issue, I am starting to prefer an inside in Alaska because of 19+ hours of light during most of the season. Especially if your cabin is facing east in the morning, it gets bright early, even with the draperies drawn. The advantages of a balcony outweigh the light leaks; the advantages of an oceanview that you can't enjoy from a relaxed position do not.

Personally, I would pass. I recognize this is a contrarian view.

The oceanviews, with some very rare exceptions (forward-facing balconies with restricted access at sea that are sold as oceanviews) do not have a view out the window from any seated position, and assuming you'll have the bed made up as a queen, no close-to-the-window standing position. So the viewing is really limited.

For the natural light issue, I am starting to prefer an inside in Alaska because of 19+ hours of light during most of the season. Especially if your cabin is facing east in the morning, it gets bright early, even with the draperies drawn. The advantages of a balcony outweigh the light leaks; the advantages of an oceanview that you can't enjoy from a relaxed position do not.

Maybe mistaken but I thought the OV's on Emerald deck had the bed on a side wall unless it was a 3rd or 4th berth cabin?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I wouldn't do it for $198, but I would for $99. $198 would pay for a cool shore excursions, a spa treatment, dinner at a specialty restaurant, shopping, gambling, drinks, or a combo of those things! Also, some obov staterooms are awesome, and others are almost worthless. If you do decide to do it, make sure you consult the website a user created with pics of the staterooms, and make sure you can get a good one. It would beyond suck to pay $198 for a sliver of sunlight!! Let us know what you decide, and have a great cruise!

Maybe mistaken but I thought the OV's on Emerald deck had the bed on a side wall unless it was a 3rd or 4th berth cabin?

You're correct; there are some oceanviews where the bed runs fore-aft. It depends on the specific ship as well. What bites is that the deck plans online are not correct quite a bit of the time, so it's hard to say. So I guess it's most accurate to say that none provide views from a relaxed position and at least some don't let you stand close to the window.

I should also be clear, if this is a ship with the forward-facing "balcony sold as oceanview", it might be worth responding to the offer to see if any of those particular cabins remain available, as $200 from an inside to a proto-balcony is a pretty sweet deal.

We wouldn't do it either. We agree with the poster about liking the inside cabin in Alaska. We slept wonderful. We definitely would rather go outside to see the beauty everywhere and hear the naturalist while watching. She would point things out to us as we sailed. We enjoyed going from side to side to see everything. We brought enough warm clothes and even hand warmers for comfort.

We wouldn't even do balcony.

I received this offer as well, and called to inquire further. I was told the offer is for unobstructed on Deck 5....there are still 5 or 6 left along the port side and 3 in the far aft on the Aloha deck. These 3 are aft facing and only have portholes. I have decided to save my $200 for the reasons described above. The light around the window will impact my sleep and sitting on top of the bed with my nose glued against a window doesn't sound so comfortable...lol :o

I think there is an advantage to seeing the scenery in Alaska without needing to put on a coat if it's cold outside. But I don't know if that is worth $200 to you.

Having had an outside cabin in Alaska more then once, I think the main benefit is natural light. If any scenery is worth seeing, it wouldn't be through that window but on deck or in a room with large windows (horizon court, sky walkers, etc..).

Edited by Coral

Happy travels,

I also travel solo and I was offered a move from an inside to an obstructed OV. There is a great list offered here at CC that shows the obstructed views and this helped me decide on my upgrade. Search 0bstructed views and have fun.It is amazing to see the range of views.

I took the upgrade as it was no charge and I am sailing 28 days. I told the very nice person that called to call anytime.

4boysnana

I could never cruise Alaska in an inside cabin. Just my personal preference. I don't find the light as a problem as the drapes do a very good job and there are always eye masks that work quite well. There is so much to see along the inside passage that happen in the very early moments of the day, before the ship comes into port, and I would not want to miss it. It's not my nature to be up and ready at the break of dawn (in Alaska that is REALLY early), dressed and ready for coffee. I could not be on deck that early in the morning yet having a window would allow you to see land.

If it was an island cruise I could care less if it was an inside cabin. Nothing to see during the day except the sea. It'll still be there when you dress and come top side.;)

I could never cruise Alaska in an inside cabin. Just my personal preference. I don't find the light as a problem as the drapes do a very good job and there are always eye masks that work quite well. There is so much to see along the inside passage that happen in the very early moments of the day, before the ship comes into port, and I would not want to miss it. It's not my nature to be up and ready at the break of dawn (in Alaska that is REALLY early), dressed and ready for coffee. I could not be on deck that early in the morning yet having a window would allow you to see land.

If it was an island cruise I could care less if it was an inside cabin. Nothing to see during the day except the sea. It'll still be there when you dress and come top side.;)

Our first cruise was a 10 day SF/Alaska round trip. We sailed in an inside cabin on Sea Princess which means it was a very small cabin. We spent very little time in the cabin and it obviously wasn't a terrible experience as it's the cruise that changed my mind from "I know I will hate everything about cruising" to "I want back on a ship ASAP!". We spent a lot of time on deck.

The number of hours of daylight really depends on the time of year. When we cruised in September there was maybe 12-13 hours of daylight. When we go back next June there should be 19-21 hours of daylight. Obviously those are just ballpark figures but it does show there is a big difference in hours of daylight depending on when you visit Alaska.

Edited by Thrak

I feel that loosing my lido cabin location isn't worth a window. I think I am gonna pass. I can easily be out on deck for sunrise and pulling into port in 5 min after waking up. I have no problem going out of the cabin in sweats for an hour to have a looksee and then go back and get ready for the day. I don't much care for eating in the morning and will be bringing protein powders and shakes with me for this purpose!!!

I'm really excited and have quite a busy itenary planned. But I'll keep my little dark box on the lido deck and save the $$$$ to pay half of my drinks package.

If it was a balcony I'd be all over that like white on rice!!!!!

I feel that loosing my lido cabin location isn't worth a window. I think I am gonna pass. I can easily be out on deck for sunrise and pulling into port in 5 min after waking up. I have no problem going out of the cabin in sweats for an hour to have a looksee and then go back and get ready for the day. I don't much care for eating in the morning and will be bringing protein powders and shakes with me for this purpose!!!

I'm really excited and have quite a busy itenary planned. But I'll keep my little dark box on the lido deck and save the $$$$ to pay half of my drinks package.

If it was a balcony I'd be all over that like white on rice!!!!!

I love the location of lido cabins! Very convenient!

I'm with you on this one, "Paradise Princess" . :-) If it were a free upgrade, or $200 for balcony, maybe.

I admit I am a little curious about that Aloha far aft but my friend sent a pic of that and you would have to sit backward on your bed to look way down out of the window. It is so HIGH up that I think I would have nightmares of slipping backward out the window. I am also a little afraid of heights. There is nothing below that window but a 100 foot drop straight to the wake. Yikes......only 4 like it on the ship. Kind of a novelty. Ah well...sigh. First world problems, I realize

Oh, and to answer the question above. This is the Grand, 5/16-23 Alaska Southbound.