Scissors and corkscrews...allowed?

ROXIETHEHORSE

Just in case I forget to pack or misplace the cork screw, I now board with wine with a twist off cap. When I've requested a cork screw from my cabin steward, the request then went to room service - another person shows up a couple hours late to open the bottle, then looks for a tip, and leaves with the cork screw. Apparently Princess doesn't trust me with such a dangerous item. It would be so much easier to have a generic cork screw in the mini fridge - if it goes missing, then tack on a small fee when doing the soda/mini liquor bottle inventory. Better yet, supply simple cork screws with the Princess logo - a sure item to keep - great revenue source, too.

Darcy

One cruise line used to give passengers a corkscrew with their logo on it. Wasn't very fancy, but still does the job. I also carry a pair of "school" scissors. They are small and have a short blade, but I need scissors more onboard than when I'm at home!

My search is not working...are we allowed to bring a corkscrew and scissors on board Princess? Thx!

I'm not sure it's quite as simple as yes and no. On our first Princess cruise, an overzealous security type held my bag hostage for hours because I had a Swiss Army knife in it. The knife blade was within the allowable length, but that didn't keep the mistake from happening. And there was absolutely no apology for his error. That was a big part of the reason we didn't sail Princess again for a few years.

Anyhow, point is the rule and what's enforced are sometimes two different things.

Jim

I'm not sure it's quite as simple as yes and no. On our first Princess cruise, an overzealous security type held my bag hostage for hours because I had a Swiss Army knife in it. The knife blade was within the allowable length, but that didn't keep the mistake from happening. And there was absolutely no apology for his error. That was a big part of the reason we didn't sail Princess again for a few years.

Anyhow, point is the rule and what's enforced are sometimes two different things.

Jim

You stopped sailing Princess because of the issue with your Swiss Army knife?

You stopped sailing Princess because of the issue with your Swiss Army knife?

I wouldn't put it that way. I was inclined to take my money elsewhere because I didn't like the way I was treated.

First they treated me like I was trying to get away with something. ("I think you know why we held your suitcase.") Then after they showed me in their rules that I couldn't bring any blade over 3 inches, I pointed out that it was under that. They could have and should have said, "sorry for the inconvenience," but the self-important twit just turned his back and walked away.

So, no, I was not impressed with some of the personnel on that first cruise and it seemed like they didn't want our business.

Jim

Then after they showed me in their rules that I couldn't bring any blade over 3 inches, I pointed out that it was under that.

For a knife blade over 3 inches you will need to go to the dining room and get one.

On our BI cruise last summer I was called back to the checked luggage check-in to retrieve my Swiss Army knife from a pocket of my suitcase. I had carried it there on the plane, and left it there. I was told it was best to transfer it to my carryon prior to cruise check in so it would be easier to show it was an ok size to go onboard.

I wouldn't put it that way. I was inclined to take my money elsewhere because I didn't like the way I was treated.

First they treated me like I was trying to get away with something. ("I think you know why we held your suitcase.") Then after they showed me in their rules that I couldn't bring any blade over 3 inches, I pointed out that it was under that. They could have and should have said, "sorry for the inconvenience," but the self-important twit just turned his back and walked away.

So, no, I was not impressed with some of the personnel on that first cruise and it seemed like they didn't want our business.

Jim

Not to disagree with you, however, I had the same thing happen to me on RCL when they saw the RCL corkscrew that they gave me as a gift with a wine carrier (2 bottle) on a previous cruise in my check-in. So, it is not one cruise line, nor one ship. It all depends on the Security person checking the scan. Just like TSA in the airports, never consistent.

I always carry nail scissors and cork screw but make sure they are in my checked bag. I have been on RCCL Carnival and Princess and never had a problem. I use zip ties to close my bag and put the nail scissors in the outside pocket to cut them off.

Candi

My search is not working...are we allowed to bring a corkscrew and scissors on board Princess? Thx!

I carry a corkscrew, scissors, bottle stopper and swiss army knife in my toiletries kit. To avoid any issues with check-in security, I put these items in my checked luggage. In Venice, Italy, I had mistakenly kept my toiletry kit in my carry-on after a pre-cruise hotel stay. During security clearance at cruise check-in the swiss army knife was taken away "for the duration of the cruise" but was actually returned to my cabin the next day by a ship's officer.

I carry a corkscrew, scissors, bottle stopper and swiss army knife in my toiletries kit. To avoid any issues with check-in security, I put these items in my checked luggage. In Venice, Italy, I had mistakenly kept my toiletry kit in my carry-on after a pre-cruise hotel stay. During security clearance at cruise check-in the swiss army knife was taken away "for the duration of the cruise" but was actually returned to my cabin the next day by a ship's officer.

Venice terminal security are extra vigilant about these types of items.

They will confiscate them and turn them over to ships security who will either turn it back over to the passenger or hold it for the cruise.