I can't believe it!

npb

My whole problem is that there was no reason to call Security. We were not loud or demanding or been drinking . We simply wanted to leave. There is no more to this story. That is why it is so perplexing.

We DID NOT walk out with a bar bill.

Good morning.....as others have noted, we are still baffled...you said

the Maitr'd AND Security followed you to the elevators? Or did I read

it wrong?

OK....if I read it correctly, did you speak with them about why

they followed you? Did they prevent you from getting on the elevator?

I still feel like I am missing something.......

The person who is the one who is "where the buck stops" when it

comes to Personnel on the ship is the Hotel Director......I would say

the Restaurant Manager and Hotel Director would be the 2 people

who would be involved......but this still does not make a lot of sense

to me.

My whole problem is that there was no reason to call Security. We were not loud or demanding or been drinking . We simply wanted to leave. There is no more to this story. That is why it is so perplexing.

We DID NOT walk out with a bar bill.

Another cryptic post.

Intentionally cryptic? Sure looks like it since you're obviously reading the responses and trying to comment to them.

Please explain in more logical sequence and detail. It's been very hard to follow including this last post.

All this talk about skipping out on a drink bill in the dining room!

How?

They always get my card when I order and bring it back with the drink.

My experience is that, yes,, they usually do it but not always. When they don't, it can be exasperating waiting for the check or hunting down the sommelier. I can understand (but not endorse) people who walk out either on purpose or by honestly forgetting they haven't paid. Have a glass of wine at lunch in the MDR when no track is kept of who's who at the table, and you'll understand how people can skip out on the tab. In a normal restaurant the waiter would be responsible for covering the bill; on a ship it might simply be written off, as it probably doesn't happen all that often

Well, at this point, I am hoping that the OP is in contact with the Hotel Director, and in the process of getting this issue resolved. Maybe she'll come back and tell us the rest of the story, once things get sorted out. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

I just reread the first post and I'm more baffled than ever.

Hostess comes by the table in the DR, is told what is wrong, picks up a plate.

People get up and leave the DR, met at door by Maitre d' who is also holding a plate of food (their food from their table? Hostess handed it off to him? Someone else's food?)

They get to the elevator and are "confronted" by security (whatever that means) - wow, that sure was quick for security to be called and get there! And I'm not sure I've even ever been aware of security on a ship - although I know they are there - are they plain clothes? In uniform?

What was the "confrontation" - did they say "you can't leave without eating your dinner? you can't insult the chef that way? You can't have 2 meals at the same time? (wasting food both in the DR and OVC?" Or what???

I just reread the first post and I'm more baffled than ever.

Hostess comes by the table in the DR, is told what is wrong, picks up a plate.

People get up and leave the DR, met at door by Maitre d' who is also holding a plate of food (their food from their table? Hostess handed it off to him? Someone else's food?)

They get to the elevator and are "confronted" by security (whatever that means) - wow, that sure was quick for security to be called and get there! And I'm not sure I've even ever been aware of security on a ship - although I know they are there - are they plain clothes? In uniform?

What was the "confrontation" - did they say "you can't leave without eating your dinner? you can't insult the chef that way? You can't have 2 meals at the same time? (wasting food both in the DR and OVC?" Or what???

I know, they are MYSTERY DINERS. I'll bet we will never know the TRUE story.

I too have gone back and read the original post and am still confused as most of you are. As the old saying goes, "Something is Rotten in Denmark."

Edited by Snit13
spell

Knowing you guys I cant believe you did anything to bring this situation about. So disappointing to have this happen. We had a problem in Murano on the Solstice and I had a word with the Concierge when I didn't get any satisfaction from the Restaurant manager. We did get an apology and as part of the apology a free lunch in Murano.

Good luck I hope this isn't spoiling the rest of your trip!

Exactly! If the only things that happened were: you didn't like the dish, politely declined to finish the meal, and made a good-natured joke about getting a free glass of wine ... what on earth was their accusation? You said you were chastised. Did security come and chastise you for wasting food?

?????

I've been biting my tongue for 2 days.

Has anyone considered that either this waitress or the Maitre D' was on some type of "last warning before you're fired" type of notification and they were worried that if these people successfully left dinner they might lose their jobs.

Calling security and shifting the "blame" to the passengers deflects their problems.

That's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

Folks the OP is Elite+, they know how things flow n go on a Celebrity ship with 28/29 sailings. I would venture that they have erred on the side of the staff, as most of the long time Celebrity pax do, well those I know do. Which is why I read this situation is so perplexing.

The more someone sails With a certain line, the more we tend to pay no mind to some of the short comings.

If not, they would not have asked for the email to Richard or Lisa in post #5.

I tend to think Karen ( chamima ) is on the right path.

I truly don't think we will ever know.

Originally Posted by Aquahound View Post

When your husband "jokingly" hold the Maitre' D he was owed a glass of wine, was he really joking, or was he angry and threatening toward him?

My reckoning is that the op meant the Maitre'D owed him a glass of wine. It depends on how you read it

That is what Aquahound is saying too.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I've been biting my tongue for 2 days.

Has anyone considered that either this waitress or the Maitre D' was on some type of "last warning before you're fired" type of notification and they were worried that if these people successfully left dinner they might lose their jobs.

Calling security and shifting the "blame" to the passengers deflects their problems.

That's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

You could well be right, but I think we're now getting into the realm of conspiracy theories where one can try to make up almost any scenario.

I can't even create a scenario that has the maitre d' walking after a passenger as they leave with their plate of food...and I have an equally hard time creating one that has security involved at all unless they threatened a waiter or someone else...but then I also can't envision the staff, at any level, chastising a passenger....even if it was a security issue.

The whole situation is bizarre....

Folks the OP is Elite+, they know how things flow n go on a Celebrity ship with 28/29 sailings. I would venture that they have erred on the side of the staff, as most of the long time Celebrity pax do, well those I know do. Which is why I read this situation is so perplexing.

The more someone sails With a certain line, the more we tend to pay no mind to some of the short comings.

If not, they would not have asked for the email to Richard or Lisa in post #5.

I tend to think Karen ( chamima ) is on the right path.

I truly don't think we will ever know.

Good point, "conspiracy theories":eek: notwithstanding. Very strange.

Edited by richsea

The whole situation is bizarre....

Agree with you there the whole thread is bizarre!

People are getting carried away here with some of the theories being banded about. In my mind the OP has a responsibility to put the record straight and explain what really happened. That way we can all move on to another thread! If the OP isn't prepared to do that they shouldn't have started this.

Agree with you there the whole thread is bizarre!

People are getting carried away here with some of the theories being banded about. In my mind the OP has a responsibility to put the record straight and explain what really happened. That way we can all move on to another thread! If the OP isn't prepared to do that they shouldn't have started this.

I agree that this whole thread is bizarre. If I were the OP I'd just let this thread just go on with any further comment. I'm on vacation and have better things to do!

Psst. And the theories are just getting more and more bizarre - and strangely entertaining. ;):D It would make a good read when I got home.:p

Let's wind up this thread so we can all get back to the increase in the drink package thread.

But I wanna know what happened!!! And WHY it happened!!!:eek::p:D:rolleyes::confused:

Let's wind up this thread so we can all get back to the increase in the drink package thread.

And don't forget the issue re OJ! Is it squeezed, pre-squeezed, or frozen?:D

(and I would still like someone to tell me what "pre-sqeezed juice" is. If an orange has been squeezed it is juice. If it has not been squeezed it is an orange:confused:)

When your husband "jokingly" hold the Maitre' D he was owed a glass of wine, was he really joking, or was he angry and threatening toward him? :confused:

See, that's what I was thinking too. Even if husband said it in "jest" , perhaps the comment was lost in translation and the words in and of themselves were perceived at a threat or some form of wine extortion? :eek:???

YOU OWE ME..... That is the part the maitre'd took issue with possibly?

A year or 2 ago, my friend and I were on the Equinox and had a similar thing happen. We were MOST aggravated by poor service which is SO not what I'm used to on Celebrity. I thought I was on Carnival b/c the waiter would DAILY tell us about the end of cruise survey and how we NEEDED to fill it out w/ superlatives. That if there was anything we wanted changed to just let him know. But that the food and service should have the highest rating. OK, I know how to fill out surveys, but perhaps some of the other people at our table just fell off the turnip truck. No big deal.

Day 2 we were given the SAME drill from the waiter (the service was adequate, but not nearly outstanding, btw) and I told him "OK you've told us twice. We get it."

DAY 3. SAME THING :eek: This time I said in a low but "stern" voice "DO NOT ever tell us how to fill out a survey card again. Three times is three times too many."

Day 4: He started AGAIN saying about how only the top grades on the survey would be acceptable yadda yadda. My friend and I stood up, put our napkins on the table and didn't say a word but started to walk out. The waiter said "OH OH I think I went too far." Evidently this was noticed by the maitre'd. Still not speaking, we went to the elevator and were followed by the maitre'd AND a chef. As with the OP it was ALL the way to the elevator w/ profuse apologies and I just kept saying "PLEASE leave us alone. PLEASE just leave us alone." I felt like a spectacle. BUT they persisted... "what can we do? Can we get you a glass of wine?" (We had the premium package so NOOOOOO) They stood there being very annoying until the elevator came and we just went inside.

No; security wasn't called (though I considered it :D ), but I tend to believe and empathize with the OP. I too couldn't believe it.

OH and I DID fill out a survey and it was scathing as far as MDR service. We got a call from customer service and wound up w/ a nice OBC which I told her we didn't "deserve". That I thought perhaps a teaching moment would suffice and I'm not trying to get any freebies. But she insisted and I have to say the OBC was MORE than generous. We already had another cruise booked and I'd had enough wonderful Celebrity cruises to realize this cruise was a one off. (there were other WEIRD difficulties along the way... totally a 180 from my other dozen Celebrity cruises).

I can't actually think of a reason that the chef and or maitre'd should EVER follow a diner out of the dining room unless they've committed some really off the wall faux pas like stealing the silverware.