Why not 1 really good formal night instead of 2 half hearted ones?

Maybe it could be an event that you book online. No extra charge, but maybe a themed costume formal. First sea day, small dining room, perhaps only 75-100 passengers. One seating only. I would not participate, but would love to watch folks make their way to the dining room.

I have no hard data, it's just my opinion based upon what I read here on cruise critic. The people who love traditional dining just seem to be the ones who like formal nights. It seems to be so 'hand in glove'.

The big problem with that idea is that there are a significant number of cruisers who would insist that the ambiance of formal nights is ruined unless everyone participates. I have a problem with that because it is the equivalent of someone saying my incremental pleasure of seeing you dressed up is more important than your displeasure at dressing up. I don't believe I have the right to make someone do something just because it makes me feel better.

Well said, but it is a hopeless battle to make some posters understand this.

I'm not sure I've ever heard that argument made. For the record, I most definitely don't feel I have "the right" to make any passenger on the ship do anything at all. On the other hand though, I most definitely think RCI has every right to do so. And by extension, I have the right to expect a certain cruise experience, based on the policies & rules that RCI states in writing via their website & in other spots. I'd never call a passenger out myself - be it for ignoring the dress code, smoking on their balcony or whatever. But I WILL complain to RCI and ask that they enforce their own policies.

Dress to the 9's every night if you wish

Please don't encourage this. That would ruin the ambiance of casual night by some not dressing to the guidelines:

- Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

The atmosphere of the evening and the enjoyment of my meal would be ruined by these people not being dressed appropriately.

I like the idea, but your still going to have the people that just don't want to get dressed up.

I'm one who likes the idea that the MTD section of the dining room should be casual/smart causal every night, while those choosing traditional dining will get their formal nights. But unfortunately, this will cause a whole new fight from those who like a combo of MTD and formal night. It's a no win situation.

But I have to admit, I like the whole idea of DD/DD Classic. I think it's a really good compromise (if to works). Those wanting a set time, same waitstaff, and formal nights can choose Classic, and be able to go to the Grande for their formal night(s). Those wanting flexibility, but also like formal nights can do regular DD, but dine in the Grande as many times as they like. And those not liking formal night can also choose regular DD, but avoid the Grande all together.

The only issue would be those who like a set time ad same waitstaff, but don't want to dine in Grande. However, I would guess that those people would be few, and they could somehow make a compromise.

I think RCI could make formal night popular again, especially on 7 day itineraries, by going from 2 half hearted (weak) nights to 1 really spectacular night. White glove service. Special captains and officer events all evening. Midnight buffet on formal night. An ice carving show and display. Display some of the grandeur thrown away to save costs the past 10 to 20 years.

The thought being maybe if the cruise line put some Chutzpah back into their efforts more people would get excited for it and participate. I'd look forward to one really nice event versus what currently is really no different than other evenings offerings.

Okay, I've skipped over the 129 posts pro and con to say - Wow! What a great concept!!!

Ya got my vote. I think they have already pretty much passed on formal nights on the shorter cruises, why not have one big shebang on the 7+ night cruises??

Edited by temple1

What I liked was pre drink cocktail (free) with canapes, meet and greet with Captain and introduce staff, photo op with Captain, then dinner with the table staff doing the baked alaska cake song/dance while we all swing our napkins in the air and sing along.

Now that could be called a gala night, formal night or even royal night.

Perfectly said! This is what I loved about the old formal nights. It was fun, different and special.

BTW, we have been cruising with our son since he was 4 years old. We always dressed him for Formal nights in khaki's, dress shirt, tie and blue blazer. He now loves dressing for formal night (he's 15) and looks forward to it on our cruises. His old Formal night clothes have been passed down to my younger nephew who cruises with his parents and loves getting dressed up too. The tradition does not go away unless the parents are too self involved to teach their children how to dress and behave in certain circumstances. And if you don't want to spend the money on formal clothing for children then you can visit consignment shops and get things for very little cost.

For those who don't want to spend Formal night with their younger kids, you can always feed them early at the Buffet and check them into the kids club so you can enjoy a date night minus kids.

Brooklyn

I like the idea, but your still going to have the people that just don't want to get dressed up.

I'm one who likes the idea that the MTD section of the dining room should be casual/smart causal every night, while those choosing traditional dining will get their formal nights. But unfortunately, this will cause a whole new fight from those who like a combo of MTD and formal night. It's a no win situation.

But I have to admit, I like the whole idea of DD/DD Classic. I think it's a really good compromise (if to works). Those wanting a set time, same waitstaff, and formal nights can choose Classic, and be able to go to the Grande for their formal night(s). Those wanting flexibility, but also like formal nights can do regular DD, but dine in the Grande as many times as they like. And those not liking formal night can also choose regular DD, but avoid the Grande all together.

The only issue would be those who like a set time ad same waitstaff, but don't want to dine in Grande. However, I would guess that those people would be few, and they could somehow make a compromise.

There are already complaints that Grande doesn't offer a true formal night experience since only 25% of the passengers are dressed formally on any given night.

I'm not sure I've ever heard that argument made. For the record, I most definitely don't feel I have "the right" to make any passenger on the ship do anything at all. On the other hand though, I most definitely think RCI has every right to do so. And by extension, I have the right to expect a certain cruise experience, based on the policies & rules that RCI states in writing via their website & in other spots. I'd never call a passenger out myself - be it for ignoring the dress code, smoking on their balcony or whatever. But I WILL complain to RCI and ask that they enforce their own policies.

You've never read posters insisting that everyone has to dress up or the ambiance of the formal night experience would be degraded?

I wouldn't expect a person like yourself to 'call a passenger out'. I think you're too much the gentleman to do that.

I have seen posters state that they do have that right. I've seen posters claim that they have refused to allow a waiter sit someone at their table if that person is not, in their opinion, fully compliant with the dress code.

I have seen posters state that they do have that right. I've seen posters claim that they have refused to allow a waiter sit someone at their table if that person is not, in their opinion, fully compliant with the dress code.

Please post a link. True, I stay away from the formal night fights so I probably haven't read such a post.

That this is another dress code debate is regrettable.

It should be about things the company can do to improve the evening/dinner/ambiance.

I love the Carnival Journeys throwback concept but none of the voyages are short enough for us to take advantage of. If they had it on week long cruises that would be activities and events that would draw my interest.

Please post a link. True, I stay away from the formal night fights so I probably haven't read such a post.

I'm sorry I didn't keep a record. You can use the search function and read through some of the formal night dress code threads. It may not have been on Royal. It could have been on a Princess thread.

I think RCI could make formal night popular again, especially on 7 day itineraries, by going from 2 half hearted (weak) nights to 1 really spectacular night. White glove service. Special captains and officer events all evening. Midnight buffet on formal night. An ice carving show and display. Display some of the grandeur thrown away to save costs the past 10 to 20 years.

The thought being maybe if the cruise line put some Chutzpah back into their efforts more people would get excited for it and participate. I'd look forward to one really nice event versus what currently is really no different than other evenings offerings.

But you will still have the plebs stating: "It's my vacation, I paid for it, no one can tell me how to dress for MDR:" or " the food has gotten so mediocre in the MDR-why bother to dress up?" Good luck on this one!!

Happy Cruising,

TnT

I don't want to take away your formal nights. If you like dressing up, then do so. But, I wouldn't think of telling someone else that they have to dress up to increase my dining pleasure. I'm a big boy and I can tolerate seeing someone in blue jeans on formal night. If won't affect my enjoyment one bit.

Glad you can.

I don't think anyone is 'telling you'.... It was a custom, a recommendation, a tradition, an event, an expectation. So..........for cruise lines to have suggested attire and then not adhere to it does create disappointment.

What if some expectation you really wanted/expected was not realized after planning your cruise/saving for your cruise/taking time off from work/(you fill in the reason), I think you might think differently in how it might effect your enjoyment.

I did have cruises where the majority did adhere to the formal dress and it was fun and we did anticipate the evening of getting dressed up, taking pictures, seeing what everyone would wear. The current policy or level of adherence has lessen the cruise experience for us. Other things have also changed our experience both positive and negative.

Edited by shipshape sam

Interesting thought. Do not believe they would ever do it. They are on a path to mimic land based vacations of 'have it your way'. Some have suggested a venue for formal night and that might work, but I could see issues on how to plan for it? Good thought and you never know. I do not think I would go back. We quit bringing formal wear a couple of years ago. 2 evenings was great, 3 was even great on longer cruises. Not sure I want to pack for just 1 night.

Please don't encourage this. That would ruin the ambiance of casual night by some not dressing to the guidelines:

- Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

The atmosphere of the evening and the enjoyment of my meal would be ruined by these people not being dressed appropriately.

Don't forget your clubs on the way to the 19th hole :)

SLACKS !! just the mere word

makes me feel a bit queer !

Interesting thought. Do not believe they would ever do it. They are on a path to mimic land based vacations of 'have it your way'. Some have suggested a venue for formal night and that might work, but I could see issues on how to plan for it? Good thought and you never know. I do not think I would go back. We quit bringing formal wear a couple of years ago. 2 evenings was great, 3 was even great on longer cruises. Not sure I want to pack for just 1 night.

With that agree and image all those who refuse to comply with the suggested standard now, "I'm not going to take up all that luggage space for one night".

There are already complaints that Grande doesn't offer a true formal night experience since only 25% of the passengers are dressed formally on any given night.

Well that just shouldn't be allowed. And no, I'm not getting upset about what other people are wearing, but when a cruise line introduces a formal restaurant (that is completely OPTIONAL for those who don't like formal dining) they should enforce the dress code! There was basically no point in saying that Grande is formal if its not going to be enforced.

Glad you can.

I don't think anyone is 'telling you'.... It was a custom, a recommendation, a tradition, an event, an expectation. So..........for cruise lines to have suggested attire and then not adhere to it does create disappointment.

What if some expectation you really wanted/expected was not realized after planning your cruise/saving for your cruise/taking time off from work/(you fill in the reason), I think you might think differently in how it might effect your enjoyment.

I did have cruises where the majority did adhere to the formal dress and it was fun and we did anticipate the evening of getting dressed up, taking pictures, seeing what everyone would wear. The current policy or level of adherence has lessen the cruise experience for us. Other things have also changed our experience both positive and negative.

When there is a requirement/recommendation (that is going to be adhered and enforced) they are 'telling you' what clothing is expected to be worn. I am sorry for you, that the current policy or level of adherence has lessened the cruise experience for you.

What someone else wears in no way impacts my enjoyment of the evening, unless they are not clean in some way. I don't want to have dinner (any dinner) sitting at a table with a tablemate that looks as if he just came from the beach or pool and forgot to visit the shower before arriving for dinner.

Well that just shouldn't be allowed. And no, I'm not getting upset about what other people are wearing, but when a cruise line introduces a formal restaurant (that is completely OPTIONAL for those who don't like formal dining) they should enforce the dress code! There was basically no point in saying that Grande is formal if its not going to be enforced.

I think that the poster that you were referring to was meaning that as the Grande is 1 of 4 restaurants on board then 25% of the people on board would not be dressed formally not that only 25% of the people in the Grande are dressing formally.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I think that the poster that you were referring to was meaning that as the Grande is 1 of 4 restaurants on board then 25% of the people on board would not be dressed formally not that only 25% of the people in the Grande are dressing formally.

You may want to check your math. If the situation you are describing is true, wouldn't 75% not be dressed formally?

To me the Grande is an enclave with its own bespoke menu and dress requirement, but there is nothing about it otherwise that evokes cruise traditions and events. Maybe that is why there has been resistance to the Grande; people again stating "Well, if you (the cruiseline) aren't going to make this differentiated and special, why exactly should I bother with dressing to the 9's?"

If the Grande included events or activities peripheral to the dinner that were either unique to Grande or somehow reminiscent of cruising traditions thrown away in seek of profit, I think they could solidly pack the place every night and people would self-select to participate at the same level the cruise line does. Slapping a title and formal dress code on a restaurant does not make it formal. It's still half-pregnant