Glacier Bay - where to go for best view?

Jota62

I'm cruising to alaska this September on the lenend and was looking at some amazing pictures others have taken at glacier bay and I was wondering where on the ship people recommend for the best view.

I will be in an aft balcony room, should we stay there for a view? Or is there a good deck or direction? Would love to hear what people have enjoyed in the past!

The glaciers will be on the port (left) side going in and the starboard (right) side going out. On deck is the best place to view the glaciers. You might want to go to your balcony as you leave the bay and spend some time there. I wouldn't recommend spending your time there going in.

Edited by judynorth

Near the bow and then be prepared to move around. Everyone seems to congregate in the same areas although I’ve never had problems finding a spot on the rail by finding another deck or area with less people and the same view.

Not to worry. The Captain will rotate the ship so everyone get a view from their balcony. Just enjoy the excitement. From the fantail, you will get the best view of Grand Pacific Glacier as you leave the Park.

The Legend is new to Alaska, but the Miracle did not have bow access. For me, aft is never the place I want to be, I want to be tracking from ahead. :) As for the "ship turns" this is also useless to me, as there is no guarantee when that big glacier calving is going to happen or harbor seals hauling out etc. IF you stay in one place, you are missing over 50% of the whole, some may want that whole. :)

With Glacier Bay, I am always out at least 1/2 hour prior to the stated time. The ships all stall out in Icy Strait, and this area is prime for wildlife, easy to spot humpbacks, and sea otters. More difficult for sea lions. Lots of sea birds. You can get a look at the rangers coming aboard. From that point it's about a 3 hour time to get to the glaciers. You will pass by at least 4 with the commentary lining up with the port side.

But that first hour of entry is good for wildlife potential. Reverse on the way out.

My preferred space for viewing is the lowest open deck, usually the embarkment deck. I never have any problem getting plenty of rail space, so keep the "crowded" myths going. :) The top open decks are more crowded but the numbers are in a constant state of change, due to the large number of unprepared people with their attire. :)

Not to worry. The Captain will rotate the ship so everyone get a view from their balcony. Just enjoy the excitement. From the fantail, you will get the best view of Grand Pacific Glacier as you leave the Park.

Although you may wish to wander about, the view from your aft verandah will be spectacular. All of the photographs from our aft verandahs of Glacier Bay were taken on numerous visits to Alaska:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/glacier-bay/

Having our own bathroom close at hand eliminated sharing a public restroom with many others. Room Service delivered food and hot beverages during our stay in Glacier Bay. Nobody competed for a spot at our verandah railing or raised a camera in front of mine. We also stayed dry and out of the wind while the ship was in motion.

p5222227.jpg

I'm cruising to alaska this September on the lenend and was looking at some amazing pictures others have taken at glacier bay and I was wondering where on the ship people recommend for the best view.

I will be in an aft balcony room, should we stay there for a view? Or is there a good deck or direction? Would love to hear what people have enjoyed in the past!

Up high where you can move side to side. An aft balcony is probably one of the worst places to stay.

Up high where you can move side to side. An aft balcony is probably one of the worst places to stay.

Although I have never had an aft balcony so I am sort of criticizing from ignorance, I have never been able to figure out the advantage of the aft balcony on any cruise where seeing and especially photographing stuff on land is important.

If you are on deck, you can see stuff coming, passing and going on both sides of the ship- a nearly 360 degree view. If you have a balcony, you can see the same stuff as long as the sight is on your side of the ship - a 180 degree view. If you have an aft balcony, you can only see stuff going with an inability to plan your photo shot until the object comes into view.

Just my opinion.

DON

I also go to a low outside deck, such as a Promenade deck. I am not familiar with the Carnival ship you are on to know if there is an outside deck.

I much prefer the lower decks for pictures and viewing as opposed to top deck. Also, everyone goes to the top deck thinking that is best.

A little tip from my trip... We spent our time at a window seat in the buffet... when the Zuiderdaam did a 180 to depart Glacier Bay.... the buffet was FLOODed with cruisers.... they ran out of clean dishes and had people wait (starving!).

Plan your meals in advance. Perhaps that was time for me to leave the buffet and get some quiet time on deck.

Since when has Legend been able to obtain a permit for Glacier Bay National Park? The sources I rely on show her sailing Tracy Arm.

Carnival often goes to Glacier Bay very early in the season and/or very late in the season. In-between, they usually go to Tracy Arm.

It appears May 26, Sept 1, and Sept 8 are going to Glacier Bay.

Although you may wish to wander about, the view from your aft verandah will be spectacular. All of the photographs from our aft verandahs of Glacier Bay were taken on numerous visits to Alaska:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/glacier-bay/

Having our own bathroom close at hand eliminated sharing a public restroom with many others. Room Service delivered food and hot beverages during our stay in Glacier Bay. Nobody competed for a spot at our verandah railing or raised a camera in front of mine. We also stayed dry and out of the wind while the ship was in motion.

p5222227.jpg

Wow what beautiful photos crew news!

We have an aft balcony (not a wrap veranda) for our upcoming Alaska cruise. I hope we get spectacular photos like yours. (Love the eagle shot flying in front of the glacier, the reflection photos, the beautiful milky blue color of the water, and the blue of the face of some of the glaciers!). The photos are getting me excited for our trip in 21 days.

I also plan to be up early and flexible for the great viewing opportunities and looking for wildlife all over the ship.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions on this topic.

Joyce

Carnival often goes to Glacier Bay very early in the season and/or very late in the season. In-between, they usually go to Tracy Arm.

It appears May 26, Sept 1, and Sept 8 are going to Glacier Bay.

I'm on the 5-18 sailing, which also does Glacier Bay, plus Tracy Arm. :)

I'm on the 5-18 sailing, which also does Glacier Bay, plus Tracy Arm. :)

I'm in Juneau the day after you visit. It would have been nice to maybe meet but in any case I'm headed down to Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound again so I still would have missed you. Maybe some day we will both be in Alaska at the same time and place :)