Royal to raise gratuities

Just thought I would share the email my agent sent me today ...

Me,

There is no way around the 95 cent a day increase. Even the prepaid gratuities

will be increased (even if booked and paid now) according to two of the

representatives at RCCL.

Regards,

My TA

Just thought I would share the email my agent sent me today ...

Me,

There is no way around the 95 cent a day increase. Even the prepaid gratuities

will be increased (even if booked and paid now) according to two of the

representatives at RCCL.

Regards,

My TA

Well that seems in direct contradiction to most of the other stuff people have said including the stuff quoted from Royals own website

"The three largest cruise lines say they distribute all the tips to crew members who staff eligible positions"

I don't necessarily take that to mean all money is a pass through, but it was still an interesting link that you shared.

Then royal need to update the info on the Countdown to Cruise tips and reminders page. Currently it puts the breakdown of tips as:

10. Tipping – So that you can thank those who have made your cruise holiday better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant: USD 7.25 a day per guest

Stateroom attendant: USD 5.00 a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter: USD 3.75 a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: USD 2.15 a day per guest

Head Waiter: USD 0.75 a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Tips for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine bill when you are served.

This adds up to $13.90 for suite guests and $11.65 for non suite guests which is less than the daily amount BEFORE the increase. Where has the extra gone?

I posted earlier about this. My information contradicts the post about the increase. RCI told my agent before June 1st. I have 26 days booked for Oct., the $12.00 a day was handled yesterday. I have not paid final payment due in August.

I received an email, my TA same email, directly from RCI and said before June 1st. Is it different for bookings done now and paid before June 1st, which doesn't make sense.

Well that seems in direct contradiction to most of the other stuff people have said including the stuff quoted from Royals own website

I'm well aware of that. That is why I posted it.

Of course Royal Caribbean has a reputation of being very inconsistent, so in fact, this contradiction is no surprise.

While I don't disagree with anything you said, tipping seems to be a USA thing. Most people from Europe and Asia do very little, if any, tipping. Thus, would not even expect it, especially since the ships are no registered in the USA.

I see what you are saying about ship's registry locations. To me, that is somewhat like offshore banking or opening factories in other locations and employing workers there to avoid paying fees and taxes mandated by the U.S. Government. If they register their ships in various other locations, they can avoid U.S. Labor laws and other stringent rules. I don't necessarily think that is all bad- as our taxes and laws are growing ever more ridiculous.

So I guess what I am saying is that if a cruise line's main corporate officers and structure are in the U.S., I would feel compelled to look at gratuities from a U.S. point of view especially when a particular ship departs from and returns to a U.S. port. Maybe it is different when Royal's ships sail in the Mediterranean or Asia. I don't know. Although, I don't think these folks work any less than they would if they were on a U.S. departing vessel. So I would likely still tip unless it were actively discouraged or forbidden.

I am not quite that well traveled. Not that I don't want to be. I just don't have enough vacation time to make it happen right now.

Hey my decisions are not for everyone. Just stating how I got to where I am in my thought process on this matter.

Not true at all. From the RCI website....."Should you have questions or wish to adjust the amount of the gratuity, please visit the Guest Services desk onboard by the morning of your departure from your cruise".

Have you personally experienced a decline in service with prepaid gratuities or is this just an assumption that service will be bad??

We have been doing MTD since it was first introduced. MTD requires gratuities being prepaid with final paymwent. We have seen no decrease in service nor attitude. In fact, I think that the service has improved.

If prepaid the gratuity amount is not part of your onboard account and can not be adjusted. The info on RCL Website refers to gratuities added automatically to your account on a daily basis.

The decline in service quality and availability of servers is reported within several threats and even if there are positive exceptions I also noticed this trend. Unfortunately it comes together with an ongoing increase in costs for guests. P&O charges ~ 7 USD per Person day and service is equal or better.

. ANfor this re i

Then royal need to update the info on the Countdown to Cruise tips and reminders page. Currently it puts the breakdown of tips as:

10. Tipping – So that you can thank those who have made your cruise holiday better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant:USD 7.25a day per guest

Stateroom attendant:USD 5.00a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter:USD 3.75a day per guest

Assistant Waiter:USD 2.15a day per guest

Head Waiter:USD 0.75a day per guest

Tips for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine bill when you are served.

This adds up to $13.90 for suite guests and $11.65 for non suite guests which is less than the daily amount BEFORE the increase. Where has the extra gone?

Royal takes it as a "handling fee" seems to be the explanation that has been given for this.

Sorry for asking this, if it's been asked already.....

We are sailing in August on Oasis and received the email about the increase and pre-paying. Does anyone happen to know if RCL eats the difference if we pre-pay now? Will the crew members receive $12pp in tips or the increased amount? TIA

Royal takes it as a "handling fee" seems to be the explanation that has been given for this.

How is the automatic daily gratuity shared between members of the staff and crew?

The automatic gratuity is $12.95 USD, or $15.95 USD for suite guests, applied to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. Here's how it is shared between your onboard service team:

• Dining & Culinary Services: $7.75 USD
  • Stateroom Attendant: $3.85 USD OR Suite Attendant: $6.10 USD
  • Other Housekeeping Services: $1.35 USD OR Housekeeping and Suite Services: $2.10 USD

3[/b]]Then royal need to update the info on the Countdown to Cruise tips and reminders page. Currently it puts the breakdown of tips as:

Suite attendant: USD 7.25 a day per guest

Stateroom attendant: USD 5.00 a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter: USD 3.75 a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: USD 2.15 a day per guest

Head Waiter: USD 0.75 a day per guest

If you do a search on the RCI website entering in the word "Gratuities" you will come up with many links including What is the adjusted automatic gratuity amount? This is the most current breakdown.

For those of you stating that the gratuities will be increased no matter if we add them before June 1st.....

I just added mine, received an invoice , with the amount added( $12.00 per day) with a per person total for everyone cruising.

My cruise price increased by said amount. It is due in full by Dec.

How will they charge me the .95 per day /per person difference? My invoice is what it states. And it WAS $12 a day.

Are you saying that we will be charged on our stateroom account when we are onboard?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding....

For those of you stating that the gratuities will be increased no matter if we add them before June 1st.....

I just added mine, received an invoice , with the amount added( $12.00 per day) with a per person total for everyone cruising.

My cruise price increased by said amount. It is due in full by Dec.

How will they charge me the .95 per day /per person difference? My invoice is what it states. And it WAS $12 a day.

Are you saying that we will be charged on our stateroom account when we are onboard?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding....

You paid by June 1st. You won't be charged any more. You're done.

• 1 year later...

When something is automatically charged to your bill, it is a fee, not a tip. In many cases (my time dining) the tips cannot be removed, or they make it difficult for you to remove them. They make you go to customer service and explain why you want them removed. It is a way to charge you more without adding it to the price. The responsibility for paying the contracted workers is passed from the cruise line to the customer.

Why are these hard working and deserving cruise workers not paid a fair and guaranteed wage? Because tipping enables the cruise lines to get out of paying them a fair and guaranteed wage.

Do you tip everyone who serves you? NO Do you tip the cook? The cook is the most important person that is involved in your food.

Do you tip the security people that keep you safe? How about the medical staff that keeps you healthy? The bridge crew that gets you safely and timely to your destination? No, because they are all paid a fair and guaranteed wage. So should those who serve you.

Do you feel like an aristocrat doling out your generosity to the servile class? Is it fair to demean the servers, making them hope for a tip, beg or smooze for a tip? Is it fair to the passengers to be guilted, pressured, or obligated to tip? Is it a tip, or a bribe?

Tipping is undemocratic and unfair to those who serve us on our cruises. Everyone should be paid a fair and guaranteed wage and not have to go begging for what they deserve. Tipping also allows free riders - those who do not tip and force the rest of us to pay a higher amount to make up the difference.

Joe

When something is automatically charged to your bill, it is a fee, not a tip. In many cases (my time dining) the tips cannot be removed, or they make it difficult for you to remove them. They make you go to customer service and explain why you want them removed. It is a way to charge you more without adding it to the price. The responsibility for paying the contracted workers is passed from the cruise line to the customer.

Why are these hard working and deserving cruise workers not paid a fair and guaranteed wage? Because tipping enables the cruise lines to get out of paying them a fair and guaranteed wage.

Do you tip everyone who serves you? NO Do you tip the cook? The cook is the most important person that is involved in your food.

Do you tip the security people that keep you safe? How about the medical staff that keeps you healthy? The bridge crew that gets you safely and timely to your destination? No, because they are all paid a fair and guaranteed wage. So should those who serve you.

Do you feel like an aristocrat doling out your generosity to the servile class? Is it fair to demean the servers, making them hope for a tip, beg or smooze for a tip? Is it fair to the passengers to be guilted, pressured, or obligated to tip? Is it a tip, or a bribe?

Tipping is undemocratic and unfair to those who serve us on our cruises. Everyone should be paid a fair and guaranteed wage and not have to go begging for what they deserve. Tipping also allows free riders - those who do not tip and force the rest of us to pay a higher amount to make up the difference.

Joe

Royal no longer requires the prepayment of gratuities for MTD. They are not added to your bill when you book and can be removed easily on the phone before your cruise if you had booked a while ago when they were automatically added.

Joe

Your CRUISE FARE goes to pay everything associated with the cruise: the amortized cost of the ships, the dishes, the sheets, the laundry detergent, the fuel, the uniforms, the swizzle sticks, the lemon wedges, the escargot AND THE SALARIES OF EVERYONE WHO WORKS ON OR OFF THE SHIP.

Why draw such a distinction between the gratuities "paying the contracted workers" and your cruise fare "paying the contracted workers"?

Just pay up or don't cruise!

:mad:

This must be JoMoe's annual tipping whine.

May15, 2015:

DirtyDawg,

You missed my point. They were open and glad to share how everyone's compensation was structured except for those who get tips. My point was to show that they are not transparent and there is no way to know what happens to the tips. Why are the cruise lines so up front with how some of the crew is paid and not others? If you are being asked to pay extra for something you have a right to know why and who the money is going to. All the crew members have a contract with the cruise line. They are not just there to work and only get tips. If you don't tip do they still get paid? If you do tip do they get to keep it all? Is their salary reduced by how much they get in tips?

If they wanted tips for the Captain would you just pay it and say it is none of your business. Isn't he paid a fair salary. I know he provided a great service by getting us to all the locations timely, safely and comfortably, so maybe he should be tipped also. I am trying to show the ridiculousness and unfairness to the passengers and crew members of the surcharge that is called tipping

Why are you blasting the guy? It's a charge, not a tip. If you want to tip, add more in cash. If you're content with services, do nothing, it is taken care of. If you are unhappy with services, reduce your charges. It's all very, very simple. I disagree with brow beating people with talk like "pay up or don't cruise". It provides incentive to provide good service.

This thread is a year old. Maybe CC needs to have a red banner pop up to get folks attention when this happens!!! Talk about beating a dead horse :rolleyes:

Your CRUISE FARE goes to pay everything associated with the cruise: the amortized cost of the ships, the dishes, the sheets, the laundry detergent, the fuel, the uniforms, the swizzle sticks, the lemon wedges, the escargot AND THE SALARIES OF EVERYONE WHO WORKS ON OR OFF THE SHIP.

Why draw such a distinction between the gratuities "paying the contracted workers" and your cruise fare "paying the contracted workers"?

Merion,

It is the cruise lines who draw a distinction between the employees. I was just pointing out that they all have a contract, but only some are paid a decent wage and some are made to grovel (my opinion)for tips.

I bet those who work for the lines that do not "add gratuities" get paid more than the lines that try to pass the costs off as tips.

Yes, I do over focus on this. I just wish the lines would pay everyone fairly and charge us accordingly, not the guilt or groveling for tips.