another child drowns on a cruise ship

ozarkmama

A drowning can happen in the blink of an eye...and it's NOT what folks think it is...no screaming and thrashing about....it's very silent and calm. I wonder where the parents were...not to notice?

A drowning can happen in the blink of an eye...and it's NOT what folks think it is...no screaming and thrashing about....it's very silent and calm. I wonder where the parents were...not to notice?

my thoughts also.

I was heart broken to hear of this childes death , I have always known how to swim (thanks to our local swim club) and growing up near the ocean. I think swimming is one of the most important life skills . It would save so many lives if we had a way to make sure everyone can swim (it is not hard) I lost a dear friend to this in my teenage years and every year when summer comes the news is full of these stories . I worry about my own grandchildren who are in the ocean every week in the summer (no matter how good you can swim the ocean is dangerous ).I know these stories will never really end is there anything we can do.

Probably right where you noted: there was no screaming and thrashing about, so they figured everything was fine. This is often the case with drownings, it is not uncommon for it to happen right in front of people because real drowning is 100% opposite of the fake drownings we see in movies. Sometimes people just think someone is floating peacefully or kids especially; are trying to hold their breath to show off.

If you're swimming and see someone screaming and thrashing about, that is a good sign. It means they are not drowning(yet); just scared.

My thoughts are with this family, I can't imagine. :(

Edited by Lerin

On one cruise my husband saw a kid was having difficulty in the pool so he went in and helped him out. The parents weren't even paying attention and never noticed what was happening.

I think some language should be added to the cruise contract which states that you are responsible if your child should drown in the ship's pool. Since there are no lifeguards to watch over them, it is your duty as a parent/guardian to do so.

Maybe this is already there don't know.

On one cruise my husband saw a kid was having difficulty in the pool so he went in and helped him out. The parents weren't even paying attention and never noticed what was happening.

I think some language should be added to the cruise contract which states that you are responsible if your child should drown in the ship's pool. Since there are no lifeguards to watch over them, it is your duty as a parent/guardian to do so.

Maybe this is already there don't know.

Really!!!! At what point did the parent(s) lose responsibility for their child? Do you think cruise contract language will somehow make parents pay more attention to what their children are doing?

Every death is a tragedy and having it happen "on vacation" doesn't make any worse. The linked article doesn't provide enough information for a rational discussion but the first thing that came to mind . . . Where were the parents ?

The issue is not language and there is always a sign near the pool warning of no lifeguards. But, as cruel as this might sound, the parent that does not carefully watch their children usually pays no attention to signs or language in a cruise contract (which nobody reads). This is about careful parenting and child care! Too many parents think there is safety in numbers and expect others to spot any problems. And sadly, there are even drownings in pools (and the ocean) where there are lifeguards, because even lifeguards are not perfect, are often distracted by other issues, etc.

And then there is the issue of "drown proofing" which means teaching your baby (many do these programs as early as 6 months old) to survive in the water. Even that is no guarantee but it sure does help. If you have very young toddlers or have young grandchildren get them in the "Water Babies" program at your local "Y". We are often shocked on cruises (and when we are at various beaches) at how many children do not know how to swim and depend on cheap floatation devices. We have strong opinions on this issue having been a paramedic (in another life) and dealing with the results.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The issue is not language and there is always a sign near the pool warning of no lifeguards. But, as cruel as this might sound, the parent that does not carefully watch their children usually pays no attention to signs or language in a cruise contract (which nobody reads). This is about careful parenting and child care! Too many parents think there is safety in numbers and expect others to spot any problems. And sadly, there are even drownings in pools (and the ocean) where there are lifeguards, because even lifeguards are not perfect, are often distracted by other issues, etc.

And then there is the issue of "drown proofing" which means teaching your baby (many do these programs as early as 6 months old) to survive in the water. Even that is no guarantee but it sure does help. If you have very young toddlers or have young grandchildren get them in the "Water Babies" program at your local "Y". We are often shocked on cruises (and when we are at various beaches) at how many children do not know how to swim and depend on cheap floatation devices. We have strong opinions on this issue having been a paramedic (in another life) and dealing with the results.

Hank

Thank you for saying that! I have taken my grand baby into the child pool a couple of times at our condo. She is not enrolled in swim lessons or water babies yet, but I am going to address the subject now with my daughter. You make me realize that just because I am holding my granddaughter and watching out for her every second, there is ALWAYS THE POSSIBILITY that I could have a medical situation myself and she needs to know how to survive in the water for those moments before help comes. We owe it to our babies and grand babies to get them in that program.

Thanks Hank!

Hank

Hank, I'm with you on this. Both of my children were in the Y class at 6 months with me learning how to float and get to the side of the pool if they are in trouble. I consider this as essentIal as learning to read and write. I was also the Mom that was either in the water with them or sitting on the ledge of the pool within an arm's reach of my children in the event there was any distress. I never relied on Lifeguards..I am the one ultimately responsible for their health and well being.

Flame away, parents are the ones that need to look after their children. Never be fooled by safety in numbers, ANYONE can drown whether it is inexperience, a cramp, heart attack, etc.

Thank you for saying that! I have taken my grand baby into the child pool a couple of times at our condo. She is not enrolled in swim lessons or water babies yet, but I am going to address the subject now with my daughter. You make me realize that just because I am holding my granddaughter and watching out for her every second, there is ALWAYS THE POSSIBILITY that I could have a medical situation myself and she needs to know how to survive in the water for those moments before help comes. We owe it to our babies and grand babies to get them in that program.

Thanks Hank!

A few years ago I was at my Uncle's house. His 4 grandchildren were in the hot tub (heated like a pool) along with my 4 grandchildren. All but the youngest 2 could swim. There were 5 adults sitting within 4 feet of the hot tub. In addition, I was sitting with my legs inside on watch. My 3 YO granddaughter was against the edge facing those sitting. With all of us watching she just started falling asleep and slipping under the water. Another few seconds and she would have drowned. Needless to say it was quite the commotion with all of us jumping towards her. That is how easy a child can drown. It had nothing to do with whether she could swim or not (in this case). She was a 3 YO who wanted a nap but didn't want to stop the fun of the hot tub.

A few years ago I was at my Uncle's house. His 4 grandchildren were in the hot tub (heated like a pool) along with my 4 grandchildren. All but the youngest 2 could swim. There were 5 adults sitting within 4 feet of the hot tub. In addition, I was sitting with my legs inside on watch. My 3 YO granddaughter was against the edge facing those sitting. With all of us watching she just started falling asleep and slipping under the water. Another few seconds and she would have drowned. Needless to say it was quite the commotion with all of us jumping towards her. That is how easy a child can drown. It had nothing to do with whether she could swim or not (in this case). She was a 3 YO who wanted a nap but didn't want to stop the fun of the hot tub.

Terrifying experience. And a reminder of just how easily an accident can happen. Glad your story had the happy ending and, as a grandparent myself, I can only imagine how frightened you must have been.:-(

On many cruises I have seen groups of adults having a great time - with their children in the pool and them paying little if any attention. I'm NOT saying that this was the situation in this drowning but - all parents need to remind themselves that their being on vacation doesn't mean they can forget that their attention must stay on their children.

On many cruises I have seen groups of adults having a great time - with their children in the pool and them paying little if any attention. I'm NOT saying that this was the situation in this drowning but - all parents need to remind themselves that their being on vacation doesn't mean they can forget that their attention must stay on their children.

Heck, I have seen kids allowed to play in the pool while their parents go off to do something else! :eek: Such bad parenting should be severely punished. :mad:

Edited by SantaFeFan