What do you use the Internet for?

I have seen so many threads in the last several months regarding the internet prices per ship, diamond discount, minutes price etc...

Just curious as to what different people use the internet for and during which part(s) of the cruise.

The last few cruises I have been on, I haven't thought about logging on at all. Am I in the minority or the majority?

I don't even think about logging on, I go on vacation to unplug. Nothing is so important it can't wait for a few days. Our kids are grown, so no worries there. (now it's their turn to worry about what we are doing!)

Now that Early Bird check in is available, we don't even use it for boarding passes. We don't use the internet at all. There sure are a lot of people plugged into their devices onboard, though.

I don't use the internet all day at work, so it is a part of my recreation time. I like to check emails, have a look what family and friends are doing on facebook. Check out the news.

I am all for relaxing and reading on holidays, but I do like to get a little bit of internet time in. It is not something that stresses me so I don't need to get away from it. I enjoy keeping in touch.

There is a different priority for everyone, and getting away from the internet is not my priority. :)

When we cruise, DH and I generally leave our 4 children at home. We always give them a schedule of specific days we'll check email so they can touch base and give us updates about how they're doing and what's going on at home. On a 7 day cruise, we generally check email 2-3 times.

Our preference is to schedule our email checks at ports where we know we can find cheap wifi. In that case, we will surf the internet for maybe 30 minutes to an hour to catch up on news, our friends/family, etc. in addition to checking our email. If our port plans aren't conducive to finding cheap wifi, we quickly check email on the ship on the designated days, but that is all we do on the ship internet.

Edited by soccermommie

Lots of reasons, we travel for three months every year but still run our businesses. We don't need the down time on the cruise. I have had to deliver a report to my clients that I finished on board, I organised a group tour in Rio that was a a quarter of the price of the ship excursions, kept in touch with friends & family, downloaded ebooks and finalised travel plans. My husband checked out the AFL Grand Final scores. So looking forward to the improved speed on the Allure.

• Emails is primary purpose
  • BBM to keep in touch with one another on the boat...
  • browsing the web on news at home.... especially when killing time waiting for service

I would love to have 24/7 internet access on the ship but I will definitely not pay the prices RCI charge for them. Internet to me is a way of relaxing and chilling, 99.9% of my internet usage is for pleasure so none of these I need to be disconnected whilst on the ship etc. I like going on forums like this one, keep up with the news, sports and entertainment, social media etc. If the speed is fast enough, it would be nice to stream videos or radios too.

OK, I'm just the opposite of most folks and please keep the flames to a minimum.

I use it for work (if necessary), but all but the most critical work can be accomplished on my iPhone these days. I work for a small software company, telecommute full time, and both the iPhone and Internet allow me to work from wherever I am. I have been doing this for over 17 years. It took some getting used, and it took a few years for me to realize I can work from anywhere.

So now I take anywhere from 3-4 months of vacation plus skiing 3+ months in Vail, but work a bit while on vacation and in Vail. This year, in addition to skiing 60 days in Vail, 4 weeks in Europe including a 11 day Baltic cruise, 1 month out to Vail to get away from DC August heat and humidity, 3 weeks in China in September, 1 week in Hawaii in October, and Nov-Dec 3 weeks in South Africa, TATL cruise (free unlimited Internet!), and Brazil.

If I unplugged when on vacation, I could only take 3 weeks of vacation a year. As I said, it takes some getting used to, but the freedom telecommuting provides is awesome.

As far as cruises are concerned. For my upcoming Baltic cruise on SOS I will not get an Internet package, as I'll only purchase Internet if I actually need to get online. For Europe, the iPhone AT&T Global Passport 800 MB plan will hopefully be more than sufficient for my telecommuting needs. For my Nov/Dec TATL cruise (Oceania) the free unlimited Internet will be my main connection, as Namibia and the Atlantic Ocean aren't included in AT&T's Global Passport plans.

Business. It's not always possible to completely detach when you are self employed in the same way as you can if you are an employee. I keep it to a minimum though.

Occasional checking in at home. That depends on the length of the cruise though. I wouldn't do this on a cruise less than about 10 days.

We recently purchased Internet access on Adventure. It was our first time doing so and I didn't know how much we would use it. We were celebrating a special Occasion and I wanted her to want for nothing on this particular cruise so I splurged on the unlimited package for two devices. $209 after C&A gold discount. She enjoyed staying in touch with friends and family (son home alone) via email and facebook. And surprisingly, I used it more than I would have ever imagined. In addition to email and the occasional FB post, I found it very useful in planning some activities on shore, planning my running routes, restaurant reviews, and of course cheking the boards on cruise critic. I even did a mock booking on RCCL'S Web site before visiting the next cruise desk on board to make sure i was getting the best deal possible. We are not rich people and we pinch pennies at home to splurge on vacation. I will not think twice about getting Internet on future cruises, it truly enhanced our trip.

For us 60 minutes of internet time to be used throughout a cruise would be sufficient. We have family that is elderly and sons that travel. If we do a fast download of our email, and then read it offline all is well.

Paying for one day of 24 hour access is useless to us and paying for 24 hour access for an entire cruise is a waste.

We need 60 minutes of internet time, and no more....we unplug as much as possible....the reason my DH cruises is to be unplugged from work....because at home he is on call, too often 24/7.