Fort Lauderdale Hotel with Shuttle to Pier

cruiz30

Don't worry about a shuttle...a cab is only about $10-12! Faster, too!

I agree - for us to go from the Embassy Suites to the pier (under a mile) they wanted $10.00 PER PERSON for the shuttle.

We took a taxi for $10.00 total.

Even if you stay at a hotel out near the airport a taxi is only about $15 - $17.00.

Edited by DebJ14

I think most of them have shuttles to the pier, but I agree....Embassy Suites was $12 p/p, and we could have taken a cab for much less. We won't be doing that again. We will take a cab next time. :D

If you are flying into MIA or FLL to catch a cruise ship, and you are traveling with children 5 years or younger, Florida has a car seat requirement... That means that the shuttle services and taxi cabs wont take you if you don't have your own car seat for each child!

I agree - for us to go from the Embassy Suites to the pier (under a mile) they wanted $10.00 PER PERSON for the shuttle.

Yep. We were also at the one on 17th last October and it was something like that per person. We were suckers and took it. For a cruise on Vision, when there were three MUCH bigger ships embarking the same day. We waited nearly an hour, outside, for our tiny little shuttle to be ready. The bigger ships were a bigger priority.

At one point, as we saw countless cabs come and go with smarter people than us, we thought about getting our money back and taking a taxi, but at that point we just wanted to keep doing what we had been doing. Silly us.

Take a cab! :)

We also stay at the Embassy, and sometimes take the Shuttle, sometimes get a Cab. We really like the Embassy Suites.

DITTO

Staying there for the third time this August.

Meets our needs and love the location.

Enjoy

We stayed at Springhill Suites, not right by the ocean in FLL. But within walking distance of restaurants, Costco( if you buy your wine there) and a strip mall. We were picked up at the airport by their shuttleas well as taken to the pier by their shuttle. Free breakfast. Sign up for the shuttle in the lobby. The hotel seemed to be full of cruise passengers. We arrived at the Allure on time. Would we stay there again? The perks were nice. We used Marriott points so it was free. The hotel was clean and a typical Springhill Suites. But we found we liked being closer to the beach.

Edited by pinkroses

We stayed at a place that had a free shuttle to the pier but still took a cab because we didn't want to wait until 12:30 for their shuttle.

This is very good to know...free shuttle is very limiting so sounds like if you want to board early, then cab is better and worth the extra cost.

A few months ago I stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th St., called the hotel when I arrived at the airport for van to pick me up and was charged $8.00, took a van to the cruise port from the hotel and was charged $8.00, and took a van from the hotel to airport after a post cruise stay and was charged $8.00. I have no idea why others were charged different rates for the same trips.

Contact me at ontime6402@aol & I will give hotels that offer FREE shuttles to pier.

george35

Those hotels are nearer the airport. If one wants to say near the beach/pier and popular areas, you won't find shuttles for free. No need for them.

If you are arriving late and just want a place to sleep, then the further hotels would probably run less money too. Nothing to do tho if you have time.

Last November I stayed at Extended stay America on 17th st. It is a basic hotel, and ok for one night (it had a very good rate compared to others in the area 110.00). No pool, no real breakfast just granola bars and fruit. Rooms were clean though and beds comfortable. Staff were excellent. The shuttle was well run by hotel staff and was only 4.00 pp. Shuttle left on time.

If you are flying into MIA or FLL to catch a cruise ship' date=' and you are traveling with children 5 years or younger, Florida has a car seat requirement... That means that the shuttle services and taxi cabs wont take you if you don't have your own car seat for each child![/quote']

The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation.

The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation.

You left out the next sentence which holds the parents responsible.

This is from the Florida Highway Patrol website:

(6) The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation.
It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in s.
to comply with the requirements of this section

I interpret the first sentence as letting the hired drivers off the hook but the second sentence does not absolve the parent/guardian. The intro to that section reads:

(1)(a) Every operator of a motor vehicle as defined in this section, while transporting a child in a motor vehicle operated on the roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall, if the child is 5 years of age or younger, provide for protection of the child by properly using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device.

You left out the next sentence which holds the parents responsible.

This is from the Florida Highway Patrol website:

(6) The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation.
It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in s.
to comply with the requirements of this section

I interpret the first sentence as letting the hired drivers off the hook but the second sentence does not absolve the parent/guardian. The intro to that section reads:

(1)(a) Every operator of a motor vehicle as defined in this section, while transporting a child in a motor vehicle operated on the roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall, if the child is 5 years of age or younger, provide for protection of the child by properly using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device.

your previous statement that a shuttle or taxi cab will not take you and your child if you don't have a childseat is incorrect. They will take you and yes you are taking a risk however, how else are you going to get from A to B?

your previous statement that a shuttle or taxi cab will not take you and your child if you don't have a childseat is incorrect. They will take you and yes you are taking a risk however, how else are you going to get from A to B?

I never said that (you even quoted Phyllis's ATM in your first response) - all I did was provide the section of the Florida Highway Patrol regulations in its entirety so that folks contemplating not using a car seat understand that they are still responsible. I live outside Fort Lauderdale and know what the traffic and drivers are like. As a new grandma I would be advising my DD to bring a car seat (airlines don't charge a luggage fee for them) - no way would I risk the welfare of my grandchild.

Edited by capriccio

I never said that (you even quoted Phyllis's ATM in your first response) - all I did was provide the section of the Florida Highway Patrol regulations in its entirety so that folks contemplating not using a car seat understand that they are still responsible. I live outside Fort Lauderdale and know what the traffic and drivers are like. As a new grandma I would be advising my DD to bring a car seat (airlines don't charge a luggage fee for them) - no way would I risk the welfare of my grandchild.

OOPS! Sorry!