Seawitch IPA wins Bronze medal

RickEk

Having just returned from the Royal Princess I can report trying Seawitch a couple of times. IMHO it was too bitter - not hoppy but bitter (not in a good way). Fortunately, being on a round Britain cruise, I was able to grab a couple of decent pints on shore!:D

Strangely enough I had Bitters in London but it wasn't bitter.

FYI the beer is called 'Bitter' as in 'A pint of Bitter'

Bitters is usually means Angostura Bitters, used in some cocktails, Pink Gin etc.

Strangely enough I had Bitters in London but it wasn't bitter.

Historically, the genre of beer called bitter in UK is hopped, as opposed to mild which is not. It has a somewhat bitter aftertaste, but not so 'in-your-face' as Seawitch was.

Fullers London Pride and Youngs bitter are great examples of the genre.

Mild is hard to find nowadays (except perhaps in the Midlands and the North). Another London drink which is hard to find is porter - it is a sort of 'Guinness lite' - a dark beer and not hoppy.

Beers go through fashions - highly hopped, light coloured summer ales are quite in vogue at the moment. If you get to try Hop Back Summer Lightning, it is one of the best of that genre.

For the beer aficionados out there, come to London in the first week or two in August and hit the Great British Beer Festival at Olympia http://gbbf.org.uk/ - getting on for at least a thousand or so different beers to try (and some decent snacks as well)!:D:eek::D

What Colt 45 is not proper?

I have yet to try Seawitch.

I thought it was very good when I first tried it. After drinking a number of additional ones, I came to the conclusion that it really wasn't all that great.....:):):)

Bob

Seawitch is mild as far as an IPA. My brother is a hop head and would consider it watered down. I prefer milder IPAs like the growing Black IPA offerings.

Princess should scrap Vines. Years ago they scrapped the sommelier program. Now you go into Vines and as the rum slinger what their favorite wine is and they reply, "I don't like wine." So put in a tap room with flights of small market brews. Let people experience the craft brew explosion that Budweiser is against. Alaska brewing makes some good beer and in Grand Cayman I plan on hiking over to their tap room for samples and a t-shirt. I'd love a Pumpkin Ale flight on my upcoming Oct cruise.

That felt good, I need to repeat it. I'd love a Pumpkin Ale flight on my upcoming Oct cruise.

:D

Seawitch is mild as far as an IPA. My brother is a hop head and would consider it watered down. I prefer milder IPAs like the growing Black IPA offerings.

The term IPA has now become generic to beer which is hopped.

The true IPAs of the Victorian era had to have a strong alcohol level and also be heavily hopped to withstand the temperatures of long sea voyages in ships holds to far flung outposts of Empire (hot in daytime and cold in evenings) such as India, hence the name.

Many modern ales carrying the IPA title would not meet these standards - but then they don't need to nowadays !!!

Scottish brewers tended to name such types of ale as Export, for obvious reasons.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Princess should scrap Vines. Years ago they scrapped the sommelier program. Now you go into Vines and as the rum slinger what their favorite wine is and they reply, "I don't like wine." So put in a tap room with flights of small market brews. Let people experience the craft brew explosion that Budweiser is against. Alaska brewing makes some good beer and in Grand Cayman I plan on hiking over to their tap room for samples and a t-shirt. I'd love a Pumpkin Ale flight on my upcoming Oct cruise.

That felt good, I need to repeat it. I'd love a Pumpkin Ale flight on my upcoming Oct cruise.

Absolutely fantastic idea.....:):):)

Bob

For the beer aficionados out there, come to London in the first week or two in August and hit the Great British Beer Festival at Olympia http://gbbf.org.uk/ - getting on for at least a thousand or so different beers to try (and some decent snacks as well)!:D:eek::D

You just had to post this, didn't you. :mad:

The festival is Aug 11-15, and I'm on the Caribbean Princess out of Southampton from Aug 1-15 (with a flight to Dublin on the 15th). With almost no drinkable beer on the ship (I really hope the Seawitch is better than everybody is saying), I'm really going to have to load up on my fill in the 3 days I have booked in London prior to sailing. :D

The term IPA has now become generic to beer which is hopped.

Many modern ales carrying the IPA title would not meet these standards - but then they don't need to nowadays !!!

That is why I always read the %alcohol and IBU on the bottle (or look up the beer if on tap) before purchasing one I'm not familiar with (too many imitations these days).

I have had good luck with beers labeled as "Double IPA" or "Imperial IPA".

Look at the competition. I don't see the beers I drink on the list. Samuel Adams is in a number of the spots. It's not bad beer at all but certainly not what I think of in a "craft beer" or "excellent beer" sense.

Sea Witch is drinkable. It's better than the other beers offered by Princess. That's about it. I make better beer.

You must not be a beer drinker ... LOL if you think Sea Witch is the best beer available on Princess.

I think its a great beer and I am in beer country. Washington and Oregon have some of the best craft brew houses in the country. Just spent some time in Astoria and if your ship ever makes a stop there be sure to visit Fort George brewing company!

Cheers! I have some vortex in my fridge right now!

In response to your Cayman comment - I was recently there and did the Caybrew tour. I'm a huge craft beer/IPA drinker and was disappointed in their beers. They weren't bad, but not my thing. Worth doing to check it out, but if you only have a little time in Cayman and want a drink, I would strongly recommend a tour at the Cayman Distillery (Cayman Spirit Co, I think it called).

They do a great tour and the price includes an open bar. . .

You must not be a beer drinker ... LOL if you think Sea Witch is the best beer available on Princess.

My first Princess cruise is coming up. From what I've been able to learn, it looks like the beer list is:

Bud and Bud Light

Stella draft

Miller and Miller Light

Dos Equis

Becks

Fosters

Bass Ale

Grolsch

Guinnes

Coors & Coors Light

I can't really knock Guinness, but I'm not a stout drinker. The Dos Equis would be ok if it were the amber, but from what I've heard, it is not. What drinkable beers am I missing? I sure hope you are right!

My first Princess cruise is coming up. From what I've been able to learn, it looks like the beer list is:

Bud and Bud Light

Stella draft

Miller and Miller Light

Dos Equis

Becks

Fosters

Bass Ale

Grolsch

Guinnes

Coors & Coors Light

I can't really knock Guinness, but I'm not a stout drinker. The Dos Equis would be ok if it were the amber, but from what I've heard, it is not. What drinkable beers am I missing? I sure hope you are right!

If I'm not mistaken, Fosters is no longer available. At lest I haven't seen it on our last 2-3 Princess cruises.....:):):)

Bob

With almost no drinkable beer on the ship (I really hope the Seawitch is better than everybody is saying), I'm really going to have to load up on my fill in the 3 days I have booked in London prior to sailing.

Just remember what winning a bronze medal means.

Award levels are Double Gold, Gold, Silver, and Bronze.

- Double Gold: Phenomenal Product for Buyers

- Gold: Buyers “Love” It

- Silver: Buyers “Like” It

- Bronze: Buyers will purchase it

The festival is Aug 11-15, and I'm on the Caribbean Princess out of Southampton from Aug 1-15 (with a flight to Dublin on the 15th). With almost no drinkable beer on the ship (I really hope the Seawitch is better than everybody is saying), I'm really going to have to load up on my fill in the 3 days I have booked in London prior to sailing. :D

If you like real ale the best places to look in the UK is the JD Wetherspoon chain who promote a wide range - and at very attractive prices.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/

They get CAMRA's seal of approval - which says it all.

Of course there are individual pubs that also cater to this market, especially in city locations.

Pubs which carry the Cask Marque sign carry a selection of real ale - I think you can get an app on smartphones etc. which will identify locations.

http://cask-marque.co.uk/

Hope that helps.

If you like real ale the best places to look in the UK is the JD Wetherspoon chain who promote a wide range - and at very attractive prices.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/

They get CAMRA's seal of approval - which says it all.

Of course there are individual pubs that also cater to this market, especially in city locations.

Pubs which carry the Cask Marque sign carry a selection of real ale - I think you can get an app on smartphones etc. which will identify locations.

http://cask-marque.co.uk/

Hope that helps.

I already have my updated CAMRA guide for 2015 (now available as an iPad app :)), and my copy of "London Heritage Pubs".

In the past, I've been partial to Fuller's pubs, but I have to admit that for good beer and food at a reasonable price, it is hard to beat Wetherspoons pubs.

Can you suggest any "not to be missed" pubs in London that aren't also listed buildings (and hence in my "london Heritage Pubs" guide)?

For those of you visiting London before or after your cruise who like good beer and want a bit of history, I strongly recommend that you pick up a copy of "London Heritage Pubs" from CAMRA.

I strongly concur about Cask Marque. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a CAMRA approved pour or real ale on our cruise? If they had that, I would be tempted to get the all inclusive beverage package. :D

Edited by DrMark

I already have my updated CAMRA guide for 2015 (now available as an iPad app :)), and my copy of "London Heritage Pubs".

In the past, I've been partial to Fuller's pubs, but I have to admit that for good beer and food at a reasonable price, it is hard to beat Wetherspoons pubs.

Can you suggest any "not to be missed" pubs in London that aren't also listed buildings (and hence in my "london Heritage Pubs" guide)?

For those of you visiting London before or after your cruise who like good beer and want a bit of history, I strongly recommend that you pick up a copy of "London Heritage Pubs" from CAMRA.

I strongly concur about Cask Marque. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a CAMRA approved pour or real ale on our cruise? If they had that, I would be tempted to get the all inclusive beverage package. :D

Here are a few of my favourites -you may already have several of them.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/92/924/Harp/Covent_Garden

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/15/1564/Ye_Old_Mitre/Holborn

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/16/1660/Jerusalem_Tavern/Clerkenwell

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/19/194/Princess_Louise/Holborn

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/36/3637/Nags_Head/Belgravia

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/45/455/Grenadier/Belgravia

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/21/2195/Star_Tavern/Belgravia

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/15/159/Dove_Inn/Hammersmith

Enjoy!

I am definitely a beer drinker. (Posting this from Calder Brewery I Ashland Oregon where I'm enjoying a Mowgli which is a Bourbon Oak-Aged Chocolate Imperial Porter.) My point was that Princess really doesn't carry ANY decent beer. Seawitch is their attempt to provide something other than swill but it misses the mark.

When I fish my Mowgli I'll have an Old Growth Imperial Stout. ABV: 8.8% IBU: 55 SRM: 56. Like the Mowgli it's only served in half pints. Both are truly wonderful beers.

I am definitely a beer drinker. (Posting this from Calder Brewery I Ashland Oregon where I'm enjoying a Mowgli which is a Bourbon Oak-Aged Chocolate Imperial Porter.) My point was that Princess really doesn't carry ANY decent beer. Seawitch is their attempt to provide something other than swill but it misses the mark.

When I fish my Mowgli I'll have an Old Growth Imperial Stout. ABV: 8.8% IBU: 55 SRM: 56. Like the Mowgli it's only served in half pints. Both are truly wonderful beers.

Those two sound very tasty.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Actually, it IS the best available on Princess Cruises (and I AM a bit of a beer lover). The exception would be on Alaska cruises when Alaskan Amber is available. Remember, the selection is very limited.

Any you don't like - pass to those who do, you won't have any problems offloading them !!!

I was in San Francisco a couple of months ago and had several very acceptable IPA style brews.

Hats of to the American craft brewers and the "new generation" of converts to hopped ales.

For sure! IPA's are very good for most part. I do love English bitters too!

I now have to check to see what the ABV% is! I like to drink 2-3 beers and like 5-6% ABV's. Like taste over buzz.

Edited by shipshape sam