Seawitch IPA wins Bronze medal

RickEk

Why?

Look at the competition. I don't see the beers I drink on the list. Samuel Adams is in a number of the spots. It's not bad beer at all but certainly not what I think of in a "craft beer" or "excellent beer" sense.

Sea Witch is drinkable. It's better than the other beers offered by Princess. That's about it. I make better beer.

I've tried IPAs and would not give a medal to any of them, despite their incomprehensible popularity. Like Sam Addams Family lager, too bitter.

Strangely enough I had Bitters in London but it wasn't bitter.

I think its a great beer and I am in beer country. Washington and Oregon have some of the best craft brew houses in the country. Just spent some time in Astoria and if your ship ever makes a stop there be sure to visit Fort George brewing company!

Guess I'll have to give it a try in a few weeks time then:D.

Nice to see that you guys 'over the pond' have finally got to appreciate proper beer;).

What Colt 45 is not proper?

I have yet to try Seawitch.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

It sounds less impressive when you read up on how the NYIBC actually categorize the products which pay to be entered. Cut & pasted from their website:

Award levels are Double Gold, Gold, Silver, and Bronze.

- Double Gold: Phenomenal Product for Buyers

- Gold: Buyers “Love” It

- Silver: Buyers “Like” It

- Bronze: Buyers will purchase it

CAMRA it ain't...

It sounds less impressive when you read up on how the NYIBC actually categorize the products which pay to be entered. Cut & pasted from their website:

Award levels are Double Gold, Gold, Silver, and Bronze.

- Double Gold: Phenomenal Product for Buyers

- Gold: Buyers “Love” It

- Silver: Buyers “Like” It

- Bronze: Buyers will purchase it

CAMRA it ain't...

Haha that's funny, "buyers will purchase it". Ya think?

Look at the competition. I don't see the beers I drink on the list. Samuel Adams is in a number of the spots. It's not bad beer at all but certainly not what I think of in a "craft beer" or "excellent beer" sense.

Sea Witch is drinkable. It's better than the other beers offered by Princess. That's about it. I make better beer.

Agreed. It is good and drinkable but certainly not the best out there. Princess and Sierra Nevada need to hook up.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Agreed. It is good and drinkable but certainly not the best out there. Princess and Sierra Nevada need to hook up.....:):):)

Bob

Howzabout Princess and Stone Brewery...? :)

Princess should have a Boston-style Tea Party & throw overboard Dos Equis. Replace it with Negra Modelo.

I like Dos Equis Amber... just be glad they offer Dos Equis, they used to sell Corona :p

Edited by RickEk

I find it better than the other beer offerings on Princess. It's not bad for a commemorative beer.

I wouldn't mind the Dos Equis IF they had Amber, but no. That's one point X has over Princess: they have actual beer choices! (I drink more Russian Standard on Princess than I do beers, anyway. But I do enjoy an occasional beer when relaxing by the pool.)

I'd like to see Princess hook up with New Belgium brewing co. Fat Tire has been my favorite since I found it several years ago. It would be great to be able to find FT on Princess ships too.

Howzabout Princess and Stone Brewery...? :)

I like Dos Equis Amber... just be glad they offer Dos Equis, they used to sell Corona :p

Stone is okay, but has never been one of my favorites. Sierra Nevada (IMHO) is by far the best. Better yet, Princess really needs to take a lesson from the Celebrity playbook. The below is a list (from several years ago) of the craft beers list from Michael's club.....:):):)

http://beyondships.com/files/Michael_s_Club_Menu.pdf

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I've tried IPAs and would not give a medal to any of them, despite their incomprehensible popularity.
Any you don't like - pass to those who do, you won't have any problems offloading them !!!

I was in San Francisco a couple of months ago and had several very acceptable IPA style brews.

Hats of to the American craft brewers and the "new generation" of converts to hopped ales.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Any you don't like - pass to those who do, you won't have any problems offloading them !!!

I was in San Francisco a couple of months ago and had several very acceptable IPA style brews.

Hats of to the American craft brewers and the "new generation" of converts to hopped ales.

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

Seirra Nevada is available in at least one of our local chain supermarket stores.

We have a large range of excellent real ales in Britain and SN is well thought of - it must sell well enough in a very competitive and extensive UK market for craft beers/real ales.

A few UK brewers are now punting authentic IPAs brewed from Victorian era "recipe" books - high ABV and heavily hopped as per the requirements for shipping to the Indian sub continent in those times.

At various times (student days, and at retirement) I've worked in three local breweries - it's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it !!!

Incidentally, we had a wee laugh in San Francisco when I ordered a pint of draught IPA - the waiter appeared with a glass which didn't quite meet my expectations. Apparently an American "pint" is 16 fluid ounces - whereas ours is 20 fl ozs.

Life is a learning curve !!!:)

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Bob

Celebrity carries Sierra. Even got a Torpedo last Spring.

Seawhitch is not bad, but is a heavier IPA versus Citrus lighter color, which makes more sense to me in Caribbean Cruises.

Seirra Nevada is available in at least one of our local chain supermarket stores.

:)

Sierra Nevada Brewery is here in Chico, CA where we live. We ate at the Brew Pub just the other night. Of course we each had a sampler and then a pint with dinner. (Yes, it's a 16 fl. oz. pint)

Sierra Nevada Brewery is here in Chico, CA where we live. We ate at the Brew Pub just the other night. Of course we each had a sampler and then a pint with dinner. (Yes, it's a 16 fl. oz. pint)

I don't fancy these children's portions !!! :D

I don't fancy these children's portions !!!

If you are looking for big portions, don't come to New Hampshire. Under our antiquated liquor laws I could not buy two bottles (12 oz ea)of beer with lunch at Rockingham Park racetrack. I explained that there were two of us but they could not do it, so I had to wait in line twice.