Please help a Carnival cruiser!

jetexpress

My DW and I are in the process of booking our next cruise. After being fairly loyal to Carnival, we have decided we are ready for a change up again. The last time we tried another line was RCCL Liberty of the Seas. Needless to say, the ship was impressive (especially compared to anything we have been on with CCL). Our only disappointment was the quality of food, however, we know this is subjective and can vary from sailing to sailing.

Our options for next years cruise are all relatively closely priced for similar category balcony staterooms for the sailing dates we are looking at. (Approx $1100 p/p) We are both in our early 30's and have no kids. We enjoy activities and attending comedians and production shows. However a quiet, relaxing spot to read with ocean views is also a must. I have read that this is an issue for some on Oasis/Allure and Royal/Regal Princess. So here is what we have it narrowed down to...what do you think as non-CCL board users?

A- Allure of the Seas. 7 night. Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten

B- Regal Princess. 7 night. Princess Cay, St Thomas, St Maarten

C- Emerald Princess. 7 Night. Princess Cay, St Thomas, St Maarten, Grand Turk.

Emerald would have bigger balcony than the Regal. However, the Regal has an awesome buffet (Horizon court). I think I would choose the Emerald as it has an extra port. Great ship. After the Emerald, you should then try the Royal or the Regal :)

We were big Carnival cruisers. Once we tried Princess, we pretty much stayed with Princess. We go back to carnival when we take grandkids. However, for just the two of us, Princess wins hands down.

Janet

[quote name=jetexpress;46712244

A- Allure of the Seas. 7 night. Nassau' date=' St Thomas, St Maarten

C- Emerald Princess. 7 Night. Princess Cay, St Thomas, St Maarten, Grand Turk.[/quote]

Emerald Princess. You will not be wowed like the Allure , and there isn't any rock walls or surfing attractions, and no comedy clubs.

The Emerald Princess will have:

Production shows, Guest Entertainers which most likely will include a comedian, Movies Under the Stars

5 Pools with the Terrace Pool and the Lotus Spa Pool for adults only

Free dining in 3 MDR's, International Cafe (24/7), Horizon Ct./Cafe Caribe Buffet (5am 'till midnight), Trident Grill & Pizza/Soft Ice Cream (11am-11pm), Pub Lunch on sea days served in the Wheelhouse Bar, Room Service.

Surcharge Dining includes Sabatini's and the Crown Grill plus some special dining experiences.

Evening Live music from rock, pop, jazz, piano man tunes, classical, ballroom in the many lounges plus late night DJ in Skywalker's.

I find the food good on Princess, with always a choice.

I'd still book the Regal. While it doesn't have the Skywalker's lounge at the top of the ship, there are some nice, quiet, comfortable places onboard to escape to. There's the seating areas on Promenade deck with loungers where you can relax and watch the ocean. On Lido deck outside the Horizon Bistro are some comfortable chairs and small couches. Not as quiet as Promenade deck, I had no problem reading and relaxing.

Promenade deck:

acedad11809b1615b2615e44602432de.jpg

Lido deck:

9a499257ca2c1749f2976ce67e40141c.jpg

0f2aea26e59e0f5a35aa0dec0dfec24c.jpg

We've been on the Emerald Princess and had a great time aboard her.

We found Princess offers constantly good service and good food--this opinion based on five Princess ships/five Caribbean cruises.

Only warning: desserts can be dangerously good.

Have fun, whichever ship and itinerary you chose!

Maybe one day I'll try an Oasis-class ship & one of the comments I've read is that a week is not enough time to experience everything. ;)

I haven't been on the Emerald but have enjoyed sailing several times on her sister ship the Crown & I've also sailed 6 weeks on both of the Royal-class ships. For me the Royal-class ships are best and I have enjoyed them very much. We were able to find quiet spots to relax onboard in addition to our deluxe balcony cabin with a small couch. We are older than you however the things you said that you enjoy are very similar to us & what the Royal-class ships provided us.

Another plus was that the Regal is currently the only Princess ship with the new 45 minute production shows. Fiera! (a state fair that fully used the digital screen to simulate riding a roller coaster & Ferris wheel) and Bravo (opera & show tunes) were very enjoyable for us.

For me the Piazza is amazing with the addition of things like Alfredo's Pizzeria and Gelato's and is 50% larger than on the Emerald. The Horizon Court buffet is a big improvement in variety of food, ability to get a seat & filtered coffee made from ground coffee & not from concentrate like on all of the other Princess ships.

Whichever cruise you decide is best for "you" have a great experience. :)

Maybe one day I'll try an Oasis-class ship & one of the comments I've read is that a week is not enough time to experience everything. ;)

I haven't been on the Emerald but have enjoyed sailing several times on her sister ship the Crown & I've also sailed 6 weeks on both of the Royal-class ships. For me the Royal-class ships are best and I have enjoyed them very much. We were able to find quiet spots to relax onboard in addition to our deluxe balcony cabin with a small couch. We are older than you however the things you said that you enjoy are very similar to us & what the Royal-class ships provided us.

Another plus was that the Regal is currently the only Princess ship with the new 45 minute production shows. Fiera! (a state fair that fully used the digital screen to simulate riding a roller coaster & Ferris wheel) and Bravo (opera & show tunes) were very enjoyable for us.

For me the Piazza is amazing with the addition of things like Alfredo's Pizzeria and Gelato's and is 50% larger than on the Emerald. The Horizon Court buffet is a big improvement in variety of food, ability to get a seat & filtered coffee made from ground coffee & not from concentrate like on all of the other Princess ships.

Whichever cruise you decide is best for "you" have a great experience. :)

We decided to try oasis class last year and after reading those comments that 7 days wasn't enough we booked the 12 night TA.

We enjoyed the ship and entertainment with very few kids DH was able to do the zip line and surfing without long waits.

With cooler weather though the promenade was crowded constantly.

Entertainment was great, we enjoyed the change but did miss Princess and our perks and found RCI very 'status' orientated with lots of areas for only diamond and D + etc

Sent from my iPhone

Princess is my favorite line but we switch lines frequently and a year ago last October we sailed on Oasis OTS. We had a Central Park Balcony and found it to be large and a very relaxing place just to chill out. The activities were non stop and we had a great time. We sail on RCCL frequently so we know their drill and despite the size of the ship, we found many things similar to those on the smaller ships. If you are looking for a totally new experience, then I would go on the Oasis in a heartbeat, but if you enjoy a more traditional cruise, then go with Princess. IMH, Princess food is better than RCCL, but the activities and entertainment on Oasis can't be beat.

We decided to try oasis class last year and after reading those comments that 7 days wasn't enough we booked the 12 night TA.

We enjoyed the ship and entertainment with very few kids DH was able to do the zip line and surfing without long waits.

With cooler weather though the promenade was crowded constantly.

Entertainment was great, we enjoyed the change but did miss Princess and our perks and found RCI very 'status' orientated with lots of areas for only diamond and D + etc

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the Oasis-class.

...the Regal...Horizon Court buffet...filtered coffee made from ground coffee & not from concentrate like on all of the other Princess ships...

OT: I sure hope this spreads to the HCs in the rest of the fleet. It is annoying to have to get real coffee in the IC, then take it up the stairs or on the elevator to the HC for breakfast :(.

...So here is what we have it narrowed down to...what do you think as non-CCL board users?

Since you have already tried RCCL, I would give Princess a try. If you are looking for a "wow factor" ship, then I would book the Regal. If you are looking for a smaller (a relative term here) ship with more of a traditional feel, then I would book the Emerald.

I've been on all three classes of ships, travelled during the same time of year on each (the first two weeks of December), and not surprising is there are lots of pros and cons on each of them.

Allure of the Seas - Wow. The whole ship was just WOW. But it's built that way. Big, impressive, and with 6000 passengers. But the ship distributed that passenger load very well, and it rarely if ever felt crowded unless they were having a big event in the Royal Promenade (70's Disco Party, Move It Move It Parade, or a One-time Only jewelry sale). Of the three ships on your list Allure of the Seas has, without a doubt, the very best specialty restaurants, best entertainment, and best on-board shopping. Don't miss trying the fantastic Tapas at Vintages (the Picasso Select was a meal in itself, and they are an extra charge, but are a delightful afternoon treat!). There's plenty to do, see, and eat, so much so that the ports of call are almost an unwelcome diversion. I don't remember too many quite places that had a sea view, but the Solarium upper level was a great place to escape. Unfortunately, they've eliminated the very best place - the Viking Crown Lounge- and turned it into a class-restricted area for the Crown Loft (and higher) level suites. Central Park at night is nothing short of magical, and the ship itself with all it has to offer is almost overwhelming.

Regal Princess - The sister-ship to Royal Princess, which I spent two-weeks on. The most elegant and most beautiful of the three ships you've listed. Although the there is no wrap-around promenade deck, there are several really nice areas to sit and watch the ocean: my favorite was the aft promenade deck, port side at the stern - very few people ever make it back there. There are also lots of little places to get free or surcharged food and snacks: Alfredo's, the International Cafe, and The Pastry Shop, all free; delicious bites at the Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar, a-la carte charge but well with it; the popular British-style Pub Lunch, free of charge on sea days (Emerald Princess will have it to); Gelato, the best of the three ships; and the Royal Afternoon Tea, $10-15 per person - there is a free afternoon tea held in the MDR. You could avoid the MDR all week and still find plenty of wonderful options for places to eat. As noted, Regal Princess has the production show called Fiera! which has been getting excellent reviews. Regal Princess is the newest ship in the Princess Cruises fleet.

Emerald Princess - Sister-ship to Ruby Princess. Of the three ships you've listed this will have the most spaces and places for finding a quiet spot; from the many venues like Skywalker's, Adagio,Wheelhouse Bar, and Explorers Club that are all but unused and vacated during the day, to the wrap-around promenade deck. Overall, these ships feel the most intimate. However, while the ship was at sea, and especially in the evenings, this class of ship also felt the most crowded and claustrophobic to me. I'm not sure if it's due to the low ceilings or what, but it just felt that way. Entertainment will be 'industry-average' production shows, singing acts, comedians, etc; the atrium has a smaller version of the International Cafe; the Horizon Court buffet on Lido Deck is the older style (probably the worst layout of the three ships) and a bit cramped; this ship has the best pool deck arrangement of your options; and Emerald Princess is the oldest ship of the three you've listed. But, she is also a perineal favorite among many on these boards.

With your very specific criteria - that there be quiet places to read as a 'must' - I'd probably go with Emerald Princess, although the Royal-class ships are my personal favorite of those three ships. Don't get me wrong, I loved Allure of the Seas too. It's just that she is a unique experience, and not one where you go to find a quiet holiday with places to sit quietly and read; choose her if you're looking for the most active vacation among your choices.

You'll find lots of opinions here on the Royal Princess and Regal Princess when compared to Emerald Princess. I don't think I'd choose the latter just because it has one more port, especially since Grand Turk really doesn't offer that much other than a 'beach day'. And heavens forbid there be two ships docked there on the same day. As a matter of fact that's the exact same itinerary I did on Ruby Princess, and we had the Carnival Valor sitting next to us. I really appreciated the extra sea day on Royal Princess so that I could enjoy all of the dining and entertainment options aboard. And for food choices on Princess Cruises, nothing beats the two new Royal-class ships.

Which ever ship you choose, have a GREAT cruise.

:D

Coming from a similarly aged 'empty nester', and looking at those three itineraries, the Emerald's is a clear choice.

Addtionally (as a personal preference from a ship design standpoint) I enjoy the adult-only aft pool on the Grand Class Princess ships as a place to hang out on sea days. Unfortunately, the Regal's aft pool is merely a small soaking pool. Also of note, the Regal's balconies are considerably smaller than the Emerald's AFAIK. Some also complain about the lack of a wrap around promenade deck on the Royal Class ships.

As for overall onboard experiences, we've personally found less pax is better, whether it's queing up for this or queing up for that. While the Emerald is around a moderate 3000 IIRC, the Regal is closer to 3600.

Unfortunately, as far as entertainment goes, Princess is kind of lacking in that dept (compared to other lines we've recently sailed). MUTS(Movies Under The Stars) is a nice way to spend the evening, but the theater production shows are usually pretty canned and bleh. Don't expect to see any cirque-type or other variety acts beyond standard era-themed singing/dancing production performances.

While better entertainment IMHO, The cabaret/nightclub acts in the Explorer Lounge can also be hit or miss. We've seen some very good entertaining acts and also some so-so ones. While we've had a few laughs, most of the stand-up comedian acts that we've seen on Princess haven't come close to those that we recently viewed on Carnival for example. That stated, there can be some interesting magicians/mentalists/hypnotist/vaudeville type acts that can help provide for an entertaining evening on Princess ships.

Food is indeed subjective, and unfortunately isn't always consistent depending on the ship and crew at the time of sailing. Princess' food is generally pretty good for the most part. One doesn't have to eat at a specialty restaurant every night just to get a decent meal - Like what we had to experience on a recent sailing on NCL.

Princess has a pretty good variety across the board, but I am amazed at how bad they screw up desserts(at least in the buffet) - which often taste like they've been recently thawed after having been frozen for weeks.

We're primarily itinerary based cruisers, but one thing we really do appreciate about Princess is more refined atmosphere among fellow passengers. While there are all ages aboard from the very young to old, the overall mix is not too old, but not too young either. While people do let loose a little, Princess is not really a party boat atmosphere. There are usually a few kids on board, but there are not large areas of the ship designated to accomodate for them. While still family friendly, Princess is definitely more adult oriented than some other mainstream lines.

So in sum...Based upon your query, I would suggest the Emerald for your next sailing, however I'm sure you wouldn't be wrong in choosing any of the three options.

Thank you all, especially SKAI and DMWNC1959 for your very in depth analysis. We have wanted to try Princess for some time now so we at least have eliminated Allure based on feedback here and the RCI boards. We are still torn between Regal and Emerald and it honestly might come down to whichever sailing has more convenient flight options to and from for us. Don't think any cruise is ever a 'bad' decision. Thanks again and very excited to try Princess soon!

Thank you all, especially SKAI and DMWNC1959 for your very in depth analysis. We have wanted to try Princess for some time now so we at least have eliminated Allure based on feedback here and the RCI boards. We are still torn between Regal and Emerald and it honestly might come down to whichever sailing has more convenient flight options to and from for us. Don't think any cruise is ever a 'bad' decision. Thanks again and very excited to try Princess soon!

We have never been on the Emerald, but, have been on the Ruby (sister ship, I believe, I know I will be corrected if it isn't) and we have been on the Regal. We would book either one again as they are both great, although, with different features. The itinerary would be the deciding factor for us.

Here are some 'visuals' for you...

The first set of pictures are from Ruby Princess, but Emerald Princess will be, for the most part, exactly identical in every aspect:

And the Cruise Critic photo-spread of Regal Princess

http://gallery.cruisecritic.com/ships/regal-princess-679/

Have FUN whichever ship you choose! Let us know the verdict when the decision's been made....;)

Bon Voyage!!!

11314402236_d46585e615_c.jpg

Those are some excellent photos. You may want to consider copywriting those(if you haven't already) and offering to sell them to Princess to use for promo use.

They're that good.

I'm thinking our next Princess cruise may likely be on the Ruby...

(Akin to the Emerald)I really like the aft layout of having Skywalkers up above Sabatini's like that vs. how it is oriented on the Star and CB etal.

Edited by Skai

Those are some excellent photos. You may want to consider copywriting those(if you haven't already) and offering to sell them to Princess to use for promo use.

They're that good.

I'm thinking our next Princess cruise may likely be on the Ruby...

THANKS for the kind words! I remember one of the Roll Call members on a past sailing saying that they always say me with a camera around my next. lol ;) This last cruise on Royal Princess my camera was mostly replaced with an iPhone 6 Plus which fit in my back pocket, making it easier to take pictures, then download them straight from my phone to Flickr for storage.

As for copywriting my images....I've never really gave much thought about it. I wanted everyone to enjoy them for free and without hesitation, as long as they credited me somehow if they shared them with others. And I guess if I had used them as a source of income I could have probably retired by now. (j/k)

I'm too old now to worry about it though. I do love taking pictures, and of just about everything. It was a missed career opportunity.

And I'm sure Princess Cruises are quite happy using their old outdated stock images. It is a shame, because they could use any of mine for the asking.

:D

The first set of pictures are from Ruby Princess, but Emerald Princess will be, for the most part, exactly identical in every aspect:

And the Cruise Critic photo-spread of Regal Princess

http://gallery.cruisecritic.com/ships/regal-princess-679/

Have FUN whichever ship you choose! Let us know the verdict when the decision's been made....;)

Bon Voyage!!!

11314402236_d46585e615_c.jpg

Great pictures!

Just my opinion. I haven't been on these ships, but I've been on Carnival, RCI and Princess many times. I was on the Golden Princess last Oct.

A) Yes, if you want to be WOW'd then pick Allure. It's way over the top with every activity you can think of. Regarding Food - is typical RCI food, but you can go to the pay venues for upscale dining. This ship would cater to all passengers types including those in their 30's and will have a much more lively vibe with tons of entertainment options. Much closer to Carnival vibe, but RCI ship are far more classier and upscale.

B & C) Princess is very nice; however, depending when you go it's going to cater to an older 45+ crowd. There will be some young folks, but you will be in the minority. Summer and holidays tend to get more families and younger folks. Princess is typical upscale mainstream cruising on their newest ship. Food is very good to excellent - maybe a step up from RCI, but not much. Princess is great if you want that typical upscale cruise experience, but don't expect a Carnival experience on Princess. You will be disappointed.

It all depends upon what type of cruise experience that appeals to you. They are both very different cruise experiences and passenger demographics. There are a ton are passengers reviews on all these ship here in Cruisecritic. Read as many as you can to find the right ship for you. Throw out the best and worst reviews and focus on the middle of the road objective reviews. The more homework you do the better choice in ship you will make.

Both ships offer adult's areas for quiet times so that should be an issue.

I don't see it mentioned here (or maybe I just missed it) but you do know that Princess is a Carnival company, right? :confused:

What this means for YOU is that since you frequent Carnival you can get "past guest" discounts on Princess. Don't expect the same level of "status" but you can at least take advantage of past guest promos. You or your TA can call and see what "perks" Princess can give you for your cruise with them.

As for Princess vs Carnival, what others have said it about right. When I want to cruise with my kids, I do Carnival. I do Princess when its just my husband and me. IMO Princess is geared toward a more mature audience. It won't be boring, just "different" then what you normally see on a Carnival cruise. :)

Think about what you are looking for this cruise. Smaller ship, means a more intimate cruise with both the guest and the crew. My favorite part about Princess is the "white" glove service they seem to give. Its like I'm getting a Cunard cruise without the price tag. :) Another reason I love to cruise on the Carnival Cruise Line. :D

~Gin