Is Canada/New England on your horizon?

As a cruise region, Canada/New England intrigues me because:  

128 members have voted

1. 1. As a cruise region, Canada/New England intrigues me because:

• Fall foliage
    • Watersports (fast boats, kayaking, sailing)
    • Historic landmarks and museums
    • Recreation (hiking, cycling, ziplining)
    • Food and wine
    • Urban life (Halifax, Portland, Boston, Quebec City)
    • Arts and culture (music, galleries, museums)
    • Other (Please tell us in comments below)

Hi. We're curious about Canada/New England as a cruise region and would love to know: Is it on your bucket list and if so, why? What about the region appeals to you? And if this region, which features ports like Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Prince Edward Island, Trois Rivieres, Quebec City and Montreal -- among others -- isn't on your cruise list, why not?

Thanks so much -- feel free to weigh in here or vote in our poll. Note: It's multiple choice so vote for everything that appeals!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

Hi Carolyn,

My late DH and I sailed Boston to Montreal to Boston on HAL's Maasdam b-to-b year after year and never tired of that cruise. We are from Boston and had never seen any of these locations but for Boston and Montreal when we started doing that cruise.

It is one of HAL's best short cruises, IMO, and most people are amazed how much there is to see and do.

I hope to do it again one day soon. :)

Edited by sail7seas

For some reason I can never vote on Cruise Critic polls on my iPad.:confused:

I am going to Canada/NE this fall and looking forward to it. I have never been to Maine or any of the Canadian Maritimes. We have chosen a time when, hopefully, the foliage will be beautiful.

Been there want to go back . The pods of white whales in the Saguenay Fiord were exciting to see . The huge tides in St. John were a sight to behold . I fell asleep and missed the Aurora Borealis . The puffins already left . It was to much fun to call the Concierge early in the A.M. with news of snow outside . And to funny telling my crew friends that never saw snow to catch a flake on their tongue .:D

Edited by biker@sea

I love Canada and have enjoyed many land-based trips to Vancouver, Toronto, Quebec, Halifax and Niagra Falls, but don't know enough about a Canadian cruise to know if it would appeal to me or not. It would be helpful to have a better idea of what there is to see and do when on such a cruise.

Aboard the Maasdam, Montreal to Fort Lauderdale, I have done this cruise once. And most certainly would do so again. My favorite ports were Beau-Comie (SP?), Saguenay, Gaspe, Prince Edward Island, and Halifax. My recommendation for any visiting Charlottetown on P.E.I.--dine on their mussels! Along with a bottle of Labatt's, they are a delight!

At Saguenay, the friendliness of the citizens and the welcoming native/cultural activities at the pier led to a Welcome Center building that had artisans and others selling their wares. Those on the pier and in the Welcome Center displayed a genuineness that is memorable for me. That was followed by a great tour on-land as well as on the water through the fjord, getting to the mouth of the river where the Statue of the Virgin Mary stands on a hillside while Ava Maria was being played. Another significant travel memory!!

Most disappointing port and one where I would remain on the ship to enjoy her facilities in the future was Bar Harbor. Only the craving for a Lobster Roll would entice me off the ship.

Edited by rkacruiser

We've done this cruise twice and have to say we love Bar Harbor, not for the town, but for the proximity to Acadia National Park. Both times we took the Island Explorer out to the park and spent the day hiking. After the morning hike, we get back on the Island Explorer, head to Jordan Pond House for lunch and then hike a bit in the afternoon.

I figure we can take this cruise 20 more times to exhaust our hiking possibilities in Acadia.

Grew up in Nova Scotia, lived in PEI when I was in my early 20's, DH is from north of Quebec City and I lived over 20 yrs in Ottawa, 2 hrs away from Montreal.

If I want to see the east coast I just go home for a visit.

I would not spend my cruise money on a Canada/New England cruise.

Lois

We went to the Maritimes for our honeymoon 35 years ago - and I've wanted to go back since then. A cruise seems the perfect way to re-visit. Also, I've always wanted to see Boston, so that would be a good start-off point.

Yes, it's on our bucket list but pretty deep in the bucket as we have travelled extensively in the Maritime provinces of Canada and New England. In the meantime there are just so many places that we haven't been to that are taking priority.

Hi, sail7seas, it's an amazing trip and I can't believe I've only done the cruise part twice (two different cruises, one on Holland America, the other on the St. Lawrence Cruise Line). Have a hankering to go back!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

My late DH and I sailed Boston to Montreal to Boston on HAL's Maasdam b-to-b year after year and never tired of that cruise. We are from Boston and had never seen any of these locations but for Boston and Montreal when we started doing that cruise.

It is one of HAL's best short cruises, IMO, and most people are amazed how much there is to see and do.

I hope to do it again one day soon. :)