Do you prefer roundtrip or one-way cruises?

Gig103

I know r/t are the most common, especially out of Florida with all the ports in the Caribbean. But DW and I love the one-way cruises - One reposition under our belt, another booked, and even in Alaska we went from Vancouver to Seward! I'm not sure if it's because they feel like a voyage, or if it's because the itineraries are more unique. But I was just wondering if other folks have a preference when planning their vacations?

We love repositioning cruises. Have done quite a few them in Europe -- Istanbul to Barcelona -- several other med ones, Baltic ones.

Transatlantic ones.

Have done Ft Lauderdale to Montreal, Ft to Seattle, Seward to Vancouver, Seattle to Ft Lauderdale.

And the list can go on.

We use one-way re positioning cruises as a means to get to and from many parts of the world. When you have the time (we are retired) these cruises are great alternatives to flying (and sometimes actually cheaper). We have used one way cruises to get to and from Europe more then a dozen times (several times we have used another one-way cruise to go the other way on the same trip) where we then spend some time (often at least a month) doing driving trips. Last fall we used a 38 day HAL repo cruise to get from the US to New Zealand. If we didn't have to be home for Thanksgiving we could have taken a different ship back to the US (this would have been a really neat trip) like a few others we met.

For folks wanting to cruise in Europe we often recommend one-way cruises (such as from Civitavecchia to Istanbul) and suggest spending some land time at both ends. So-called "Open Jaw" air fares usually work fine for these type trips allowing folks to get round trip air (to and from different cities) with no real penalty.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Repositionings are a great way to cross oceans - often as inexpensively as flying - and generally much less expensive than business class. Of course you need the time. Most cruisers, certainly those who do not want passports, are limited to shorter, round-trip cruises to/from the same port.

One way cruises as the ports are almost always a little more unusual and less touristy. We did our first one last year and got another booked this year.

We have plans to do a Asia/Oz or Oz/Asia cruise as our best open one yet at some point as well as a TA.

One way cruises often have a special feeling on board too with passengers and crew. Its not just the same old route and same old ports.

Most of my cruises have been one-way and that's the format I prefer. The down side (if there is one) is that you have to work out the travel arrangements to/from both ends of the cruise...and sometimes that's a challenge.

I have never had the opportunity to try a one-way cruise, but I sure would like to try. I really think trans ocean and re positioning cruises offer a great value for those that have both time and enjoy sea days.

Now that many airlines allow you to price and book segments separately, it seems that the higher pricing of open jaw tickets has evaporated. On our last trip, pricing varied by time of day of the flight. As a result we look at the itinerary rather than the start/end ports.

Two great ports at start and end so you can have extended land tours at each end make for a great cruise. But then when we cruise, it is for the ports and not the ship.

Edited by maryann ns

Repositionings are a great way to cross oceans - often as inexpensively as flying - and generally much less expensive than business class. Of course you need the time. Most cruisers, certainly those who do not want passports, are limited to shorter, round-trip cruises to/from the same port.

That's true now if only there wre more that would let us do one way there a few weeks land tour and then one way back.

There are many one way cruises that aren't for repositioning. We have taken several, including our last two, one this past January from Singapore to Hong Kong, and the one before from Barcelona to Venice. In both cases, the next cruise was a return to the first port.

We much prefer these one way cruises. We take advantage of being in a different city before and after the cruise, spending a few days in each. With the cost of international airfare forever increasing, it's one way to get time in more cities with just one set of flights. We get to spend time in one more city for the same travel cost.

I know r/t are the most common, especially out of Florida with all the ports in the Caribbean. But DW and I love the one-way cruises - One reposition under our belt, another booked, and even in Alaska we went from Vancouver to Seward! I'm not sure if it's because they feel like a voyage, or if it's because the itineraries are more unique. But I was just wondering if other folks have a preference when planning their vacations?

Depends on the itinerary. We book the cruises we're interested in, don't really pay attention to whether they are one way or round trip.

Round trips - 9 (67 nights total)

1 way trips - 5 (52 nights total)

Roundtrip means cheaper airfare. But we look for long cruises of any sort, more than 14 days.

So we often do back-to-back that have different itineraries. Those are rarely roundtrip.

Edited by NMLady