Pinnacle member attacked in Naples Italy

No, I think that when you introduced "Pinnacle" into the topic it comes across as them being special and nothing should happen to them. IMHO.

Purple People Eater attacks a Blue Man... That's rediuclous to think that Pinnacle has anything to do with anything.

When we were in Naples waiting for our Pompeii tour we walked around the port. We witnessed aggressive drivers and bikers and saw a huge altercation in the middle of the street. Naples is not a safe place to wander off on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by abridalmaven

When we were in Naples waiting for our Pompeii tour we walked around the port. We witnessed aggressive drivers and bikers and saw a huge altercation in the middle of the street. Naples is not a safe place to wander off on your own.

So because you saw some typical hot-headed Italian behaviour in regards to driving you reached the conclusion that Naples is not a safe place to wander off on your own :confused:

Whilst it is very unfortunate that this happened to the person involved there are thousands of cruise ship passengers who do wander off on their own in Naples and come to no harm - myself included, on several different cruises.

Please don't over-generalise.

So because you saw some typical hot-headed Italian behaviour in regards to driving you reached the conclusion that Naples is not a safe place to wander off on your own :confused:

Whilst it is very unfortunate that this happened to the person involved there are thousands of cruise ship passengers who do wander off on their own in Naples and come to no harm - myself included, on several different cruises.

Not the only reason. Many of the top travel sites warn about Naples. And we also have family there who say the same. And since we used to work in and visit NYC frequently we are always aware of our surroundings. But in all of the international cities we have visited this is the only one where we saw so much aggressive behavior. But I guess because you were safe, the rest is made up? .

Edited by abridalmaven

We had a great time walking on our own in Naples and would do it again, great pizza.

What is the significance of the man being a Pinnacle member? It would be an awful experience for any passenger or crew member.

There are a number of things significant about the man being a Pinnacle member.

1. It indicates that the person is a very experience cruiser, and not a novice traveler. This can serve as an important reminder that, just because you've been around the block a few times, this kind of thing can still happen to you.

2. Many of the more experienced RCCL cruisers have run into each other at various times, so the information that it was a pinnacle C&A member on this particular cruise narrows it down to a small number of people it could be. This could be significant to those who might know the individual.

3. As an extension of #2, some people reading might know someone on that sailing, and knowing that the victim was a Pinnacle member might give them some relief knowing it was not their friend/family member.

Edited by Paul65

What is the significance of the man being a Pinnacle member? It would be an awful experience for any passenger or crew member.

When I read the title, I assumed it was because as a Pinnacle member, there's probably several people on this board who know him. Speaking for myself, I'm curious who it was and I'd like to know if it was a friend of mine.

The OP brought up the fact that the news of the mugging was spreading through the suite lounge. If the OP hadn't mentioned that the victim was a Pinnacle member, a lot of people would have been questioning why the news would be spreading through the suite lounge. Pinnacle members have access to the suite lounge, so most people using the lounge probably know the victim.

Eileen

A couple years ago, my friend and her family (DH and four kids roughly teenaged) were vacationing in Spain. Her DH is 6'5" tall and at the time was active duty Army (has since retired... but a BIG guy in excellent physical condition). He's also traveled extensively due to his Army career -- not a noob to international travel at all.

They were all crowded onto a bus, and as the bus was pulling away from one of the stops, a guy banged on the window near my friend's DH, pointed at him, then flashed his wallet (with $500+ in cash plus several credit/debit cards) that had been picked out of his front pocket.

They were able to call and cancel all the credit cards, but the family was in dire financial straits for a few days while waiting for the credit card company to deliver a replacement card. The wife was the joint account holder for all of the credit/debit cards, so canceling the husband's cards ALSO canceled all the cards that she had with her on the trip.

Fortunately they had already booked their hotel, so they had someplace to stay, but they had to ration their remaining cash from the wife and the kids in order to feed the family of six in the meantime. (The dad had just taken the cash out at the bank that morning, and hadn't yet split the amount with his wife.)

Cross-packing gets discussed a lot when it comes to luggage -- by putting some of your clothing in your spouse's bag and vice versa, you still have something to wear in case your bag goes missing. The same cross-packing concept applies to credit/debit cards.... don't put all your eggs in one basket.

If the husband is carrying the card from Bank A, the wife should carry the card from Bank B, and each spouse should leave the other card out of their wallet. If the wife's purse gets stolen, only the Bank B account will need to be cancelled, and the Bank A card can be used in the meantime.

Even better, the wife can carry both his-and-hers cards for one account and the husband can carry both cards for the other account. This way, you can use the card you want for purchases (assuming you're together at the time of the purchase -- just ask your spouse for your card if needed and give it back after the transaction) and if something does go awry with one person's wallet, both people already have a functioning card available right away.

Cross-pack, cross-pack, cross-pack, people!

I hope they are ok. I take off my watch and all jewellery in Naples. I even carry a few notes tucked away in case my purse fastened to my wrist is snatched. Hubby has a plastic watch he puts on and leaves his normal one in the safe

Common sense has to apply anywhere in the world where you do not know the lie of the land. Crime is possible anywhere, and Naples has winding alleys which are ideal for criminals to steal. Most people in Naples, as with anywhere, would not dream of stealing from you, but there's good and bad everywhere.

I have been to Naples on several occasions, and I do know that there are pickpockets and thieves going around on mopeds, just as there are in many cities throughout the world. I have on occasion felt uneasy, and removed myself from ant situation in which I felt unsafe. A general rule, no matter where you are, should always be to hide ANY valuables (if you cannot leave them on the ship), and to walk to the inside of the pavement. Just be vigilant, but do not let fear spoil your vacation.

I have no idea why the Crown and Anchor status of the victim is of any relevance.

Two of my family members have been victim to theft and muggings on vacation. Once in Chicago, and once in Frankfurt. It can happen anywhere at all. Be careful and sensible and vigilant. This will reduce the chances of being a target.

I hope the gentleman is OK.

It's an old way of stealing. This happened to my aunt some 20 years ago in Molfetta, Bari, where she lived. My mom was visiting her from the States, and while the 2 were shopping some guys on a motor scooter grabbed my aunt's gold chain--thank God it broke, otherwise don't know what the consequences would have been.

Ps. When in any port(s), we carry as little noticeable items as we can. Don't want to attract anyone.

I agree, with this comment. We never wear anything fancy when we go out on ports of calls

Also: for the first time I noticed on each cruise compass it stated to be careful of your surroundings at each port of call

Edited by trev71

There are a number of things significant about the man being a Pinnacle member.

1. It indicates that the person is a very experience cruiser, and not a novice traveler. This can serve as an important reminder that, just because you've been around the block a few times, this kind of thing can still happen to you.

This is EXACTLY what crossed my mind the minute I read the title and then the post. In that case, indicating the C&A status is most certainly relevant.

Edited by ryano

I hope this passenger is ok.

We had our honeymoon in Sorrento in 1989 and I recall a tour guide mentioning this modus operandi then to visitors thinking of a trip to Naples.

I figure my wife is less vulnerable than she was at 21 years of age as the weight of her handbag has gained half a pound a year since and most likely would pull a thief off his scooter leaving him at her mercy.

Hopefully next time this happens to a gold or platinum member! It's so sick we live in a world where pinnacle members get attacked. I'm emailing the CEO right now so this won't happen again.

Some people are so focused on "Pinnacle shaming" that they are missing the entire point of this thread. OP, thanks for the info. We all hope the individual is okay. Really, people, grow up.