Suite guests bump Select Dining

Redtravel

The solutions are fairly simple:

1. There should be no reservations for Select; holding tables for people who may not even show up is ridiculous and adds to the chaos.

2. Suite passengers should be free to use the MDR during Select, but on the same terms as everyone else. No jumping the line, no reservations, no special treatment. This is more than fair, as they have another option for sit-down dining that Select guests do not.

How about people entering Select dining and being asked to wait can be offered tables in club dining that obviously are vacant as the diners have eaten elsewhere that night.

Maybe Suite passengers, in line with they can eat anywhere when they want, should be allowed to take a seat in the crew restaurant and make a few cabin stewards wait for a table? Or in the other direction Suite passengers can choose to eat in the Officers Mess. Where do we end this silly situation?

Whilst lines such as Cunard have different classes of restaurants, those in a higher grill restaurant cannot just opt to slum it in a lower class restaurant. They are assigned a restaurant and that is their restaurant. Celebrity are like weak politicians, they dont want to offend a certain group but in doing so offend another group.

If Celebrity love Suite passengers so much then switch to being all suite ships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stopped selecting traditional dining after my Princess cruise in 2006. The dining room was empty most nights and as a result the moral of the servers was just going through the motions. The service wasn't bad but they were not very lively. The were probably depressed over the tips they were going to lose with an empty dining room. Princess just compounds the problem by allowing traditional diners to jump back and forth between traditional and anything goes dining.

It is obvious that the issue in the MDR is that there are unused seats in the lower area which can't be made available to other diners not suite users.

Maybe Suite passengers, in line with they can eat anywhere when they want, should be allowed to take a seat in the crew restaurant and make a few cabin stewards wait for a table? Or in the other direction Suite passengers can choose to eat in the Officers Mess. Where do we end this silly situation?

Why is it a silly situation that someone who pays for flexibility gets flexibility. You make it sound as if a suite passenger is given latitude in dining choice for some other reason than having paid for it.

Go to the Maître D' at 6pm on an evening when there are no 7:30 PM reservations left and slip him a C-note and see if you don't get seated 5 seconds after you walk into the dining room at 7:30.

Whilst lines such as Cunard have different classes of restaurants, those in a higher grill restaurant cannot just opt to slum it in a lower class restaurant. They are assigned a restaurant and that is their restaurant. Celebrity are like weak politicians, they dont want to offend a certain group but in doing so offend another group.

If Celebrity love Suite passengers so much then switch to being all suite ships.

Do you really think that if a passenger in Queen's Grill shows up at the Britannia restaurant and asks to be seated, that the request is not honored?

This whole thread began because a dining room staff member used suite guests as an excuse for the wait in MDR. I reiterate that an M-Class ship has 100 suite guests (at double occupancy). Even if only 50 people eat in Luminae, their stateroom, off the ship, at the buffet, at the specialty dining establishments, that still leaves just 50 people looking for a table at a restaurant that has 662 seats and is open for dinner for 3 and a half hours. Just not a factor.

It is obvious that the issue in the MDR is that there are unused seats in the lower area which can't be made available to other diners not suite users.

This is clearly the larger issue.

Just curious...

1. What is the longest you had to wait to be seated at a private table?

2. What is the longest that you had to wait to be seated at a table where you joined others?

3. If you want a table right away and do not have the patience and/or capacity to wait, why not book the main dining either early or late seating?

IMHO the Suite pax is entitled to a special restaurant with better quality food and service because they pay many more thousands of dollars.

BUT they are not entitled to come into our dining room and displace us.

I have looked all over the Celebrity web site and cannot find where it is "your" dining room. It is for anyone and everyone.

As we normally cruise the Med, Baltics, Asia eg I have never noticed many (if any) empty tables at our early seating. For the times when we left late and a lot of people were in port, the whole dining room became open seating as people trickled back in from tours. Maybe it's the more casual "feel" to the Caribbean sailings which maybe has more people at the buffet's etc or it is the Specialty Rest Packages which people might sign up for once on board which could have them eating in a SR 5 nights out of the 7!! On longer cruises people get into a rhythm in Select and usually there are no waits (at least there never was for our friends).

When you sit downstairs and look up sometimes it looks soooo busy as opposed to us below, where everyone is seated, just the waiters moving through the tables and everyone pretty much on the same course. Up top there are people coming and going, waiter trying to serve meals, tables being turned - just really busy.

IMHO the Suite pax is entitled to a special restaurant with better quality food and service because they pay many more thousands of dollars.

BUT they are not entitled to come into our dining room and displace us.

That seems a shade silly. I am not trying to be, in any way, rude, or irreverent but how are suite guests displacing you.

On a regular S class ship there are only about 40 suites who do not have unlimited specialities. That is 80 people out of 2880. How can that number in any way be regarded as displacing other guests. A number of them will use Luminae regularly as the paid the extra for that. They also have their 2 nights free in other restaurants if on a 2 week cruise.I am ignoring the RS and PH guests as they get free specialities.

You are really looking at probably no more than, on a bad night, 30 people in suites using MDR or Blu. How are that number likely to displace anyone.

As we normally cruise the Med, Baltics, Asia eg I have never noticed many (if any) empty tables at our early seating. For the times when we left late and a lot of people were in port, the whole dining room became open seating as people trickled back in from tours. Maybe it's the more casual "feel" to the Caribbean sailings which maybe has more people at the buffet's etc or it is the Specialty Rest Packages which people might sign up for once on board which could have them eating in a SR 5 nights out of the 7!! On longer cruises people get into a rhythm in Select and usually there are no waits (at least there never was for our friends).

When you sit downstairs and look up sometimes it looks soooo busy as opposed to us below, where everyone is seated, just the waiters moving through the tables and everyone pretty much on the same course. Up top there are people coming and going, waiter trying to serve meals, tables being turned - just really busy.

The cruise we had issues with was in Alaska.

I have looked all over the Celebrity web site and cannot find where it is "your" dining room. It is for anyone and everyone.

Um...not quite...

Traditional Dining room is for Traditional diners (only)

Select Dining room is for Select diners (only)

Blu is for AQ diners (only)

Luminae is for Suite diners (only)

See, some of the suite diners feel they are entitled to dine at any restaurant they choose. Perhaps they can now start dining in the Traditional dining area and displace you there, since by dining in Select they are doing exactly that to a Select diner.

And judging from the input received on M Class ships (see a couple of threads) it is considerably more than the "30 diners" mentioned above.

Edited by ECCruise

That seems a shade silly. I am not trying to be, in any way, rude, or irreverent but how are suite guests displacing you.

On a regular S class ship there are only about 40 suites who do not have unlimited specialities. That is 80 people out of 2880. How can that number in any way be regarded as displacing other guests. A number of them will use Luminae regularly as the paid the extra for that. They also have their 2 nights free in other restaurants if on a 2 week cruise.I am ignoring the RS and PH guests as they get free specialities.

You are really looking at probably no more than, on a bad night, 30 people in suites using MDR or Blu. How are that number likely to displace anyone.

I am only responding to what others are reporting.

We last cruised on the Eclipse in January and never had to wait, whether it was 6:30,7,7:30 or 8 pm.

Heartfelttraveler: You certainly know how to choose what part of a post to emphasize! Of course, what I meant is the Suite pax has another venue just for them, but we have only the MDR that is included. (I am not counting room service or the buffet.)

Please remember that you are a Heartfelt traveler!

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

Um...not quite...

Traditional Dining room is for Traditional diners (only)

Select Dining room is for Select diners (only)

Blu is for AQ diners (only)

Luminae is for Suite diners (only)

See, some of the suite diners feel they are entitled to dine at any restaurant they choose. Perhaps they can now start dining in the Traditional dining area and displace you there, since by dining in Select they are doing exactly that to a Select diner.

And judging from the input received on M Class ships (see a couple of threads) it is considerably more than the "30 diners" mentioned above.

Actually the suite diners are entitled to dine in all of these areas. That is what they pay for. I have an extremely fussy DW who will struggle with the Luminae menus and need a bail out for some nights. She had the same issues in Blu so I don't see it not being an issue when the food is more elaborate.

Actually the suite diners are entitled to dine in all of these areas. That is what they pay for. I have an extremely fussy DW who will struggle with the Luminae menus and need a bail out for some nights. She had the same issues in Blu so I don't see it not being an issue when the food is more elaborate.

I am being serious here. If DW has food issues, why don't you discuss it with the assistant maitre'd the first night. I am sure they will do their best to make her dishes that she can eat.

Also, what about the AQ guests who are assigned to Blu that go to Select in the MDR to eat with friends or for the menu? They are also taking up seats that should be available to Select diners.

Yes. They are. Just me but I'd go to the buffet if not eating in Blu. Gets difficult when travelling with friends I guess but maybe that should have been thought about when booking (different) cabins.

The solutions are fairly simple:

1. There should be no reservations for Select; holding tables for people who may not even show up is ridiculous and adds to the chaos.

Reservations in Select dining are different than those in a restaurant at home. Celebrity doesn't save tables for reservations. The reservation allows you to stand in a "reservations" line and you will be seated at whatever table is available when you arrive. On most ships, they alternate the "no reservation" line with the "reservation" line. If the no reservation line is long, having a reservation helps get seated faster. If the lines are equal, there is really no advantage to having a reservation.

I am being serious here. If DW has food issues' date=' why don't you discuss it with the assistant maitre'd the first night. I am sure they will do their best to make her dishes that she can eat.[/quote']

I am afraid that the issues change from meal to meal. There is not set pattern to what she can/will eat. She is diabetic and can order a meal which she feels able to set, and when it arrives she will pick at it and send mist if it back. It is all caused by the metformin medication which controls the disorder but also restricts appetite. She can eat everything one night and leave most the next.

She finds it really frustrating as she hates wasting food.

I can produce her favourite meal at home cooked exactly how she wants, to no bavail. It goes into recycling.

I have been living with this for years. As we have mainly done AQ on Celebrity even the Blu menu gives challenges but she often uses the always available bits with mashed potatos and no sauces etc.

They can make the most delicious meal for her and she may not eat it due to the drugs.

Thank you so much for your suggestion though, it is mist appreciated. We will speak to the maitre'd to see what we can sort out.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

well I guess one would hope that if they KNEW they couldn't dine together because of stateroom location and THAT was important to them that they would book accordingly....if they don't then you're right it will never get fixed.... My statement was based on those that booked PRIOR to the announcement of the new suite dining room and the rules it imposed....perhaps at least SOME of them might have booked differently....either all SUITES or all NON-Suites...

Again, that is irrelevant as I believe suite guests can dine where they wish (or so pax are claiming). Additionally, some connecting cabins are not in the same cabin categories e.g. a S1 and a C1 may be booked together (one for the adults and one for the kids), but officially are allocated in different dining venues. Obviously connecting cabins are predominately for family groups travelling together, so as X have altered the dining arrangements of those cabins since those ships were initially built, they have in fact exacerbated the situation. Why have connecting cabins with different dining venues?

For the life of me I don't understand why Early Seating always sells out first.

In the 15 years we have been cruising we have always had second seating (late) dining. We could never eat at 6:00 PM.

In all of our 25 cruises over 15 years, we have always had early dining -- we don't eat late at home and would prefer not to on a cruise. 6:00 works well for us.

mac_tlc

I am afraid that the issues change from meal to meal. There is not set pattern to what she can/will eat. She is diabetic and can order a meal which she feels able to set, and when it arrives she will pick at it and send mist if it back. It is all caused by the metformin medication which controls the disorder but also restricts appetite. She can eat everything one night and leave most the next.

She finds it really frustrating as she hates wasting food.

I can produce her favourite meal at home cooked exactly how she wants, to no bavail. It goes into recycling.

I have been living with this for years. As we have mainly done AQ on Celebrity even the Blu menu gives challenges but she often uses the always available bits with mashed potatos and no sauces etc.

They can make the most delicious meal for her and she may not eat it due to the drugs.

Thank you so much for your suggestion though, it is mist appreciated. We will speak to the maitre'd to see what we can sort out.

I feel for you both.

I am on a low salt diet and the maitre'd or waiter brings me the next day's menu at the end of the meal and we go over it. They are very co-operative and I hope they can ease your situation for you both.

Again, that is irrelevant as I believe suite guests can dine where they wish (or so pax are claiming). Additionally, some connecting cabins are not in the same cabin categories e.g. a S1 and a C1 may be booked together (one for the adults and one for the kids), but officially are allocated in different dining venues. Obviously connecting cabins are predominately for family groups travelling together, so as X have altered the dining arrangements of those cabins since those ships were initially built, they have in fact exacerbated the situation. Why have connecting cabins with different dining venues?

I don't think it's irrelevant but get what you are saying....

However as someone pointed out a few posts back there are not that many suites, actually I just counted them...there are 66 on Eclipse, which translates, roughly, into 132 people....don't see how that number, given that it is never going to be ALL 132 "invading" a non suite dining area at the same moment can be held responsible for whatever the delay is in the Select area...... based on that number the issue seems to be that more people PERIOD want Select and, no doubt, want to sit at prime time (6:45-8:00) and thus the backlog..... Several others have suggested increasing the Select dining size, especially since, repeatedly people are referring to mostly empty tables at the traditional dining times..... Don't think the suite guests are really responsible at all...how do 132 or even 150(if there are 3 in some of the suites) make everything so much more difficult for 2700+ others.......nope something else is the issue....

Edited by Gracie115

This to me is an interesting point.

The reason we choose Select Dining is choice: our choice at what time to dine.

If we arrive at 7:30, how do we know how many Suite guests were seated at 7:15 thus reducing available space for Select ?

My point is how do we know if there are 20 Suite guests in Select Dining or 2 ?

At page 2 of this 8 page (and counting) thread I asked "how do we know if there are 20 Suite guests in Select Dining or 2"

Anybody have an answer to that question, or are we all just running on speculation that Select is full because Suite guests are choosing to dine in that venue?

It may well be it isn't Suite guests at all but an oversubscription of Early and Late Traditional diners who have moved to Select.

Are there any hard facts to support the statement the problem is caused by Suite guests eating in Select ?

At page 2 of this 8 page (and counting) thread I asked "how do we know if there are 20 Suite guests in Select Dining or 2"

Anybody have an answer to that question, or are we all just running on speculation that Select is full because Suite guests are choosing to dine in that venue?

It may well be it isn't Suite guests at all but an oversubscription of Early and Late Traditional diners who have moved to Select.

Are there any hard facts to support the statement the problem is caused by Suite guests eating in Select ?

I think the problem is all the Suite guests eating in Blu. :eek: