British Isles Royal princess now - colds and flu

lolabarola

Currently cruising and due back in Southampton tomorrow. A beautiful ships and terrific cruise, mainly British, American and Japanese/Korean guests. Captain announced an unexpectedly high number reporting sick suffering from cold and flu symptoms. Guests are in isolation and treated with anti viral medication. Crew are also affected of course. Authorities have been informed. So far we're flu free, although one of our party sadly affected. Shame for those who have waited so long for the trip to be unable to fully enjoy the wonderful ship and great itinerary.

I agree it seems to be all over the country, it's a nasty bug. I picked it up at school and it knocked me off my feet for two weeks, a course of antibiotics and approaching the end of week 3 and I am beginning to feel better.

Not nice to suffer on board ship, especially if it was a much anticipated trip, International cafe will do a soothing honey and lemon, and the mint tea is great.

I hope everyone is feeling better soon.

I agree it seems to be all over the country, it's a nasty bug. I picked it up at school and it knocked me off my feet for two weeks, a course of antibiotics and approaching the end of week 3 and I am beginning to feel better.

Not nice to suffer on board ship, especially if it was a much anticipated trip, International cafe will do a soothing honey and lemon, and the mint tea is great.

I hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Sounds like you boarded while ill and infected the ship!! :eek: The cruise is 12 nights and you are heading back to Southampton, sounds like you were still feeling ill when boarding.

Sounds like you boarded while ill and infected the ship!! :eek: The cruise is 12 nights and you are heading back to Southampton, sounds like you were still feeling ill when boarding.

:confused: Pink-belle didn't actually state that s/he was on a cruise, just offered sympathy and advice to those that were cruising. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm aboard and having a brilliant time. I am perfectly well and was when I came on board. But many others are suffering and some still in isolation to the point where the captain made an announcement on behalf of the chief medical officer to say the number of cases far exceeded the norm and that the authorities had been informed and those affected were being treated and in isolation.

I feel so sorry for those who today should be exploring Paris and have travelled great distances and hope that won't deter them from coming back to the beautiful UK soon!

:confused: Pink-belle didn't actually state that s/he was on a cruise, just offered sympathy and advice to those that were cruising. :rolleyes:

Thank you:) you are correct.

Jo, I am not an idiot, and as I stated I was off my feet with this flu type bug, I wouldn't have been able to board even if I was.

I was just highlighting the fact it is all around the country at the moment, would have been easy for someone to board with it, unknowingly, or pick it up in any port.

I have caught a cold whilst on a cruise in the past, until that point I had not known that the International cafe would make a hot lemon and honey. There was no charge (I did have UKP and coffee card, so don't know if that was the reason) I found this very soothing. I thought this information would be helpful for anyone sailing currently who is unwell.

I agree lolabarola, and I hope you manage to stay well.

Currently cruising and due back in Southampton tomorrow. A beautiful ships and terrific cruise, mainly British, American and Japanese/Korean guests. Captain announced an unexpectedly high number reporting sick suffering from cold and flu symptoms. Guests are in isolation and treated with anti viral medication. Crew are also affected of course. Authorities have been informed. So far we're flu free, although one of our party sadly affected. Shame for those who have waited so long for the trip to be unable to fully enjoy the wonderful ship and great itinerary.

We were on the May 21 Royal Princess, and in 20 something cruises I've never seen anything like it. There were sick people everywhere. Unfortunately there were quite a few people who didn't see the reason to be in isolation and took excursions, and wandered the ship, rubbing their runny noses and using handrails. The woman who coughed, sprayed and snorted without attempting to cover it throughout the 6 hours on the bus to/from Paris, reminded us why we don't book Princess excursions! We were careful and more likely, lucky and didn't get sick, but I can see how this may have snowballed....staff probably got it, they HAVE to work, then back to passengers, back to staff....

I hope it's over soon and doesn't ruin too many cruises!

Yikes....we board her on June 26 after a land tour pre-cruise. I hope it is contained by then.

Containment will be an uphill battle if the entire country is suffering from it. Even if passengers are conscientious and don't embark while sick, I'm sure that it has a couple of days (at least) incubation period. I hope for your sake (and all others) that it will have run it's course by then.

This has happened to us on almost every longer cool climate cruise we've taken. People are more likely to stay indoors, and all it takes is a few inconsiderate people who sneeze/cough and then touch everything in sight without washing their hands.

The way people jam into elevators over the last couple of cruises doesn't help either. If we're on an elevator and people are squeezing in when there's obviously no more room we opt to get off rather than share the germ laden air. We also walk down the stairs as often as possible--the old knees aren't too fond of climbing up stairs anymore so we do have to rely on elevators sometimes.

On our Ruby ta last fall the ship sounded like a floating tb ward with all of the passengers with colds.

Much of the time it is 'Cruise Cough' and is caused by the air conditioning in the staterooms. The atmosphere is far too dry - the remedy is to have moisture by having open ice buckets, jugs of water and flannels hanging from the vents at night. The damp flannels dry out overnight which is amazing. Try Vaseline on lips and nose at night, wash hands regularly with hot soapy water and press all buttons on lifts/elevators with knuckles if at all possible. If the sea is smooth, try not to touch stair handrails................we no longer suffer from the dreaded 'lurgy' - once was once too often!!!!

Hope this might help.............

We were on the May 21 Royal Princess, and in 20 something cruises I've never seen anything like it. There were sick people everywhere. Unfortunately there were quite a few people who didn't see the reason to be in isolation and took excursions, and wandered the ship, rubbing their runny noses and using handrails. The woman who coughed, sprayed and snorted without attempting to cover it throughout the 6 hours on the bus to/from Paris, reminded us why we don't book Princess excursions! We were careful and more likely, lucky and didn't get sick, but I can see how this may have snowballed....staff probably got it, they HAVE to work, then back to passengers, back to staff....

I hope it's over soon and doesn't ruin too many cruises!

It's interesting how we all have different experiences aboard ship. We were also on the May 21 Br Isles cruise as well as the prior TA. Although the weather was at times frigid with cold blustery winds none of our party were affected by cold/flu symptoms and we saw very little evidence of others being sick, so much so that we all commented on the fact that there seemed to be fewer sick passengers than one usually encounters.

I just returned today from the June 2nd sailing and I have to say that the flu and all bronchial ailments and infections were a lot worse than what I have seen in the recent postings. I got sick on day 3 with a bronchial infection and it stayed with me on and off the whole cruise even after a course of antibiotics, breathing treatments and iv cortisone. Just when I was starting to feel better, someone else would be hacking away on the elevator or a tour. There was no getting away from this illness. Anyone taking some of the upcoming cruises should build up their immune systems with zinc/vitamin products.

Now I'm reading that the 5/21st cruise had the same problems. I know it's hard to avoid illnesses on ships, but it makes me think that Princess dropped the ball on preparing the ship for our sailing. I'll report back tomorrow about this cruise. The ports were fabulous and aside from not feeling well, I tried to make the best of it.

This is all to bad. Hopefully the UK will have had some nice summery type weather by the time we arrive in late August and germs will have disappeared. We normally come down with whatever is going around the ship but knock on wood, we have been illness free for the past 3 or 4 cruises.

I just returned today from the June 2nd sailing and I have to say that the flu and all bronchial ailments and infections were a lot worse than what I have seen in the recent postings. I got sick on day 3 with a bronchial infection and it stayed with me on and off the whole cruise even after a course of antibiotics, breathing treatments and iv cortisone. Just when I was starting to feel better, someone else would be hacking away on the elevator or a tour. There was no getting away from this illness. Anyone taking some of the upcoming cruises should build up their immune systems with zinc/vitamin products.

Now I'm reading that the 5/21st cruise had the same problems. I know it's hard to avoid illnesses on ships, but it makes me think that Princess dropped the ball on preparing the ship for our sailing. I'll report back tomorrow about this cruise. The ports were fabulous and aside from not feeling well, I tried to make the best of it.

I disagree, all of our cruises are like this to some degree. You can blame some of your fellow passengers for it as well. Princess does as much as they can.

I can't tell you how many times I've been on cruises and gotten sick. :( It doesn't matter where in the world you're cruising or which cruise line. When you get literally thousands of people in an enclosed environment, you'll be exposed. Wash your hands constantly. I got sick on the Royal T/A last September... a lot of people were sick. I finally went to the doctor and got medications (and verification it was bacterial, not viral.) My sister was quarantined for three days on our 15-day Hawaiian cruise in February when a lot of people got sick. It happens. On most cruises, I try to stay outside most of the day, depending on the weather.

That's awful!! [emoji47] Is this typical for the region this time of year, or is this an unusual spike in respiratory illness? We are considering the same cruise in June of 2016.

It is unusual for this time of year. I commute through central London and mix with students every day, so if there was something going round it would be evident at College - it is not. I have caught nothing so far (though my immune system is probably quite robust given my commute and work environment).

It is currently unusually cool for June as well.