Need Advice on Oct Cruise

duggancci

--Do we let the cruise line book our flights or do we book our own?

--Where do we fly into and out of?

--How much time do we allow on each end of cruise?

--Any other advice would be great!

Oceania Cruises - Marina, departs 10/4/15, 10 nights

Day Date Port or Activity Arrive Depart

Sun Oct 4 Venice, Italy Embark

Mon Oct 5 Venice, Italy 5:00pm

Tue Oct 6 Dubrovnik, Croatia Noon 11:59pm

Wed Oct 7 Kotor, Montenegro 8:00am 5:00pm

Thu Oct 8 Igoumenitsa, Greece 8:00am 6:00pm

Fri Oct 9 Taormina (Giardini Naxos), Sicily, Italy 8:00am 6:00pm

Sat Oct 10 Sorrento, Italy 8:00am 6:00pm

Sun Oct 11 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 8:00am 8:00pm

Mon Oct 12 Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy 8:00am 8:00pm

Tue Oct 13 Monte Carlo, Monaco 8:00am

Wed Oct 14 Monte Carlo, Monaco Disembark

Check the price to see if the cruise line is competitive. Cruise line usually include transfers.

I assume you would fly into Venice unless you wanted to go early and visit other place.

I think on the other end the nearest airport is Nice.

On most lines, if you book air thru them, you can cancel those flights before final payment...so it gives you time to search airfare and schedules. That's what we do...we take the airfare option....do our research, and if I find something to suit me, with price and timing, I book on my own, and cancel thru the cruise line.

We use Oceania air but pay the deviation fee ($175 pp) to fly in a day or so early or stay later we can request the flights we want as early as 9 mths out

Do not use their hotel package it is way overpriced along with their transfers

Transfers are NOT included with Oceania air program

Come to the Oceania forum you will get all the answer you need

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

How long before and after?

As long as you can afford, but IMO not less than one night each end three is what I normally aim for.

We love Venice. Embarking in Venice, we would probably go a week ahead. Anyplace else in Europe, at least 36 hours ahead. On our three cruises completed and three scheduled, the average time before is 3-4 days, the average time after is 5-6 days. (We've picked cruises based on embarkation/disembarkation ports as much as any consideration of ports along the way.)

We use Oceania air but pay the deviation fee ($175 pp) to fly in a day or so early or stay later we can request the flights we want as early as 9 mths out

Do not use their hotel package it is way overpriced along with their transfers

Transfers are NOT included with Oceania air program

Come to the Oceania forum you will get all the answer you need

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

We take the air credit from O, book our own flights and use FF points to upgrade to business.

We always spend at least 2 nights pre-cruise in embarkation port and varying days post cruise in end port. This summer, 3 nights Lisbon and 4 nights Rome either side of a 10 night O Med cruise.

I look at both options.

Often cruise lines air includes transfers.

But be careful on Cruise Line air because if you don't pay extra to customize your flight you can end up with very short connections or more change of planes than if you were selecting the flights yourself.

Keith

Hi. We will be on the Marina in late October. (Barcelona to Venice)

If you look at your paperwork you will [probably] see that O has automatically charged you for transfers both before and after. If you're happy with the amount you are paying, then yippee! But if you do a little internet legwork, you will find that you can save a substantial amount by booking your own rides to/from the ship. There are many private (and public) taxi services in Europe.

If you plan to arrive/depart a few days before/after the cruise, definitely get them to remove the transfer fee because you will pay for it even if you don't use it.

If you want to use your own air (e.g. miles), O will give you an air deviation, something like $100 (sorry, my DH takes care of that part) off your price to make your own flight arrangements.

Also, look for private excursions in the various ports and hooking up with other folks on your cruise. You can find your mates in the Roll Call section of this forum.