Average age of river cruisers

mapsd

My husband & I are 36 & 35 (respectively). Our first river cruise will be in October/November. It was funny when we booked through the travel agent; he made sure we knew the demographic tends to be a higher average than where we are in life. We're more than ok with it. We're always the youngest in our group of friends & tend to really enjoy our time with people who are older than we are. Can't wait!

Edited by mouse84

My husband & I are 36 & 35 (respectively). Our first river cruise will be in October/November. It was funny when we booked through the travel agent; he made sure we knew the demographic tends to be a higher average than where we are in life. We're more than ok with it. We're always the youngest in our group of friends & tend to really enjoy our time with people who are older than we are. Can't wait!

I see from your signature that your cruise will be AMA Cello Enchanting Rhine. They will offer Active and Slow walking tours in addition to the regular ones, so you should have no problem finding a pace that suits you. The first evening on board we met two other couples -- one younger than us and two sisters who were much older. We each ended up in different groups each day (the sisters took the "slow" group) and all enjoyed our excursions. We got back together each night for dinner and compared notes -- age was not a factor in our new friendships!

But, some folks do move slower, regardless of age.

The Viking cruise I was on did have a slow group, but no fast group. And you had to 'self assign' to be in the slow group. There was a lady and her husband who were not slow in their mind. She had an oxygen tank on wheels, and her husband almost passed out going up a hill.

But they were in the regular speed group. So, at least on that ship, all groups just were kinda slow (I'm an old soldier, but can still range walk). We went off on our own a few times. Sometimes the area is so crowded with other tourists

that you have to go slow.

We seemed to have an older crowd, but I'm told that is common on the 2 week and longer trips. The one place that was a bit slow was the staircases. Some people did take longer, but after the first day I was use to it, and just stayed clear until they were past. Smiles and hello's would be exchanged, it's vacation, no problem.

This is terrible but...my 2 daughters were w/ us, early 20's. They'd go off exploring, and then come back looking for the group. Of course in some ports you've got 3-5 other boats, and all their groups.

So the kids fell in with the wrong tour, took them a few minutes...'then we realized that they weren't our old people'. They always checked for certain couples after that. They loved having the older folks around, w/ the couples that have been together forever, and they're still traveling the world. :)

I see from your signature that your cruise will be AMA Cello Enchanting Rhine. They will offer Active and Slow walking tours in addition to the regular ones, so you should have no problem finding a pace that suits you. The first evening on board we met two other couples -- one younger than us and two sisters who were much older. We each ended up in different groups each day (the sisters took the "slow" group) and all enjoyed our excursions. We got back together each night for dinner and compared notes -- age was not a factor in our new friendships!

I sure hope that AMA has an "active" walking group for our Sept trip. They didn't offer one on the Black Sea cruise that we did with them, nor on the Douro River cruise. My husband and I are active walkers and we often get ahead of the group and have to wait for others to catch up :eek:.

That's one of the things we love best about traveling & life in general. Age really doesn't matter - as long as you have something in common to talk about. I really enjoy hearing about other's experiences!

My experience indicates that the time of year on is cruising affects the OP's question. During the June-mid August months, I have been on cruises where a significant number of 35-50 year olds have been on the boats. However, if one is traveling Sept-May, the crowd tends to be almost totally 55+ with more on the 60-65+ side.

H2Ostr, several years ago my DH and I did a AMA cruise in Holland and Belgium. We too were excited that they had slow, medium and active walking groups. However, the reality was less exciting. As Ural Guy states, the groups are totally self selecting. Where you and I might think those who needed a cane to assist with their walking would select the slow, or at least "medium" group, there was a couple who insisted on they were "active for their age" and joined our group most days. There was nothing the guide could do put go as slow as the walkers using canes could go. We learned to join the "medium" group as it was the smallest and then go off on our own. We have sailed with Viking twice, and AMA and Avalon once each. We definitely thought Avalon had the most active passengers, possibly because they had a fitness center on board. I was disappointed that Viking did not put a small fitness room on their new longships. When we asked about this they replied that this was "not their demographic."

AMA ships have fitness centers aboard.

I agree that the "self-selecting" of tours can be an issue. During our Tulip Time cruise last April, a lady in her 80s decided she really wanted to do the Active Tour in Ghent. She was in no way capable of keeping up. Many of us went our own way when it became clear she was going to stay around.

It is unfortunate and one of the reasons we so often opt for DIY. We really do not want to have to slow down and wait for others, and prefer our own pace and to pursue our own interests.

It is IMO quite rude of guests not capable of participating in such a tour to impose on everyone else who is.

Self selecting on Viking did not help on our last cruise. Many people that should have , refused to join the slow group. The tours became mostly walk a block and wait for others to catch up, walk another block and wait. In Arles we couldn't complete our scheduled tour because some dragged behind and slowed us down to the point we couldn't complete the scheduled course. We had one shouting match between a 40 something and a 70 something, because she had brought his group to a near halt everyday he was with her. Some did not complete their tour of the Palace in Avignon because some of their fellow tourmates couldn't make it up the steps and the tour had to divert out. Viking rotates the assigned groups everyday, so one never knows who will be in their group. It can be painful. Some believe that since they are in better shape than other residents in their nursing home, it makes them in good shape. I believe in the larger cities, unless expensive museums are included in the tour go off on your own and get away from the boat tour. The problem that arises on both ocean and river cruises are those passengers that drink copious amounts of liquid in the morning and then take their water pills. They get on the bus and start asking about a potty break. They walk two blocks and the group is held up as they disappear for a potty break. They'll want 4 potty breaks in a three hour morning stretch. If they are in such bad shape they can't skip their water pill on morning tour days, maybe they shouldn't be going on the tours! :mad:

Self selecting on Viking did not help on our last cruise. Many people that should have , refused to join the slow group. The tours became mostly walk a block and wait for others to catch up, walk another block and wait. In Arles we couldn't complete our scheduled tour because some dragged behind and slowed us down to the point we couldn't complete the scheduled course. We had one shouting match between a 40 something and a 70 something, because she had brought his group to a near halt everyday he was with her. Some did not complete their tour of the Palace in Avignon because some of their fellow tourmates couldn't make it up the steps and the tour had to divert out. Viking rotates the assigned groups everyday, so one never knows who will be in their group. It can be painful. Some believe that since they are in better shape than other residents in their nursing home, it makes them in good shape. I believe in the larger cities, unless expensive museums are included in the tour go off on your own and get away from the boat tour. The problem that arises on both ocean and river cruises are those passengers that drink copious amounts of liquid in the morning and then take their water pills. They get on the bus and start asking about a potty break. They walk two blocks and the group is held up as they disappear for a potty break. They'll want 4 potty breaks in a three hour morning stretch. If they are in such bad shape they can't skip their water pill on morning tour days, maybe they shouldn't be going on the tours! :mad:

I must say that the three river cruises that we have been on, Russian river, China, and Rhone River (Vantage and AMA) we had no serious problems with the extra slow people.

I remember on lady walking with a cane and was slower, but made a huge effort to move smartly, even starting out ahead of the group at times.

We did have a few elderly that just dropped out and said they couldn't keep up, then went back to the ship. Since we had walked from the ship, not bussed, the tour guide had a keep up or else policy.

I must say that the three river cruises that we have been on, Russian river, China, and Rhone River (Vantage and AMA) we had no serious problems with the extra slow people.

I remember on lady walking with a cane and was slower, but made a huge effort to move smartly, even starting out ahead of the group at times.

We did have a few elderly that just dropped out and said they couldn't keep up, then went back to the ship. Since we had walked from the ship, not bussed, the tour guide had a keep up or else policy.

This has been my experience as well with Vantage and I am one of the ones who has trouble walking at a rapid pace. I keep my headset turned up so I can always hear the guide and I never lose complete sight or sound of the group ahead of me. I figure it's up to ME to keep up.....not the other way around. As for the diuretics unfortunately if you're blood pressure is not controlled really bad things can happen so I wouldn't mess with taking them but the buses we've been on all have bathrooms available, so I don't understand the problem here.

AMA ships have fitness centers aboard.

I agree that the "self-selecting" of tours can be an issue. During our Tulip Time cruise last April, a lady in her 80s decided she really wanted to do the Active Tour in Ghent. She was in no way capable of keeping up. Many of us went our own way when it became clear she was going to stay around.

It is unfortunate and one of the reasons we so often opt for DIY. We really do not want to have to slow down and wait for others, and prefer our own pace and to pursue our own interests.

It is IMO quite rude of guests not capable of participating in such a tour to impose on everyone else who is.

this is one of the main reasons the way Vantage USED to do things was so successful. When they had 1 TM for every 30 people it was easy to put the slower ones together as well as the rapid walkers. The TM got to know the limitations and preferences of her group, which did not change for the duration of the trip after initial adjustments, and everyone had a good time. Unfortunately, while I agree with you Caviargal, it's really hard for some people to accept that they really aren't as active as they used to be.

this is one of the main reasons the way Vantage USED to do things was so successful. When they had 1 TM for every 30 people it was easy to put the slower ones together as well as the rapid walkers. The TM got to know the limitations and preferences of her group, which did not change for the duration of the trip after initial adjustments, and everyone had a good time. Unfortunately, while I agree with you Caviargal, it's really hard for some people to accept that they really aren't as active as they used to be.

If you do Vantage's wonderful China trip the total group has only about 26 persons. Its the best we have ever done anywhere.

My experience on tours with Avalon and a private group tour in St Petersburg is different. In our experience, the tour guide would talk through the microphone and walk. It is up to you to keep up. They don't treat you like school children. There was not different level tours on our Avalon cruises. Either you keep up or meet at bus. And if you are not back at the bus at the appointed time they will think you went off on your own and not wait more than 15 minutes.

Original Poster Here.

The dialog my thread generated confirmed a few things for me:

1. Fitness level in the 60-75 age range has a wider variation than other groups.
  2. There's going to be seniors who over-estimate their fitness level (walking faster than the other 70 year-olds on your track doesn't make you fast enough to keep up with younger tourists on hills/cobblestones)
  3. We'd better be prepared to DIY if we get frustrated. I don't want to end up resenting my boat mates.

That being said, which tour company makes the most sense if we abandon the group tours often?

Do some dock nearer city-centers?

I don't want to pay for a lot of tours that we wind up skipping. Do some have more ala carte tours vs all included?

We've hired a personal tour guide previously. Something that needs to be done way in advance?

Edited by mapsd

Original Poster Here.

The dialog my thread generated confirmed a few things for me:

1. Fitness level in the 60-75 age range has a wider variation than other groups.
  2. There's going to be seniors who over-estimate their fitness level (walking faster than the other 70 year-olds on your track doesn't make you fast enough to keep up with younger tourists on hills/cobblestones)
  3. We'd better be prepared to DIY if we get frustrated. I don't want to end up resenting my boat mates.

That being said, which tour company makes the most sense if we abandon the group tours often?

Do some dock nearer city-centers?

I don't want to pay for a lot of tours that we wind up skipping. Do some have more ala carte tours vs all included?

We've hired a personal tour guide previously. Something that needs to be done way in advance?

Several companies have all the tours included. We have only used Scenic, who are one of those.

They also have a "Tailormade" device, which includes maps and built-in guides to all the places you visit (and riverside sights when sailing), so going off on your own is pretty easy with them.

Most of the other companies seem to have a device to listen to the tour guide through headphones, but AFAIK, Scenic is the only one where the device also has GPS with maps and guides built in.

We had friends that did the same Viking tour we did last fall this Spring. We advised them which of the Viking tours to skip and go out on their own and which to go on. I wish we had received the same advice.

Despite an earlier rant by someone about accommodating the slow, I don't believe that is the greater issue. The issue is that by at least Day 2, most of those that can't keep up realize they can't but still refuse to join the "slow group". On our last cruise, of 184 passengers, we had about six (6) that daily signed up for the slow group, with a couple of them being the spouse of the slower party. The number should have been closer to 60. We had one person in one of our groups that said " I know I should be in the slow group, but my ego won't let." Another piped in and said "Yes, you should be in the slow group". So to accommodate his ego, he brought the group to a crawl everyday.

Viking rotates its passengers between groups on a daily basis. The CD talks with the tour guides and sometimes walk with the different tour groups. They know who is holding the groups up. On our cruise a couple of people went to the CD and complained about a certain individual and said she should be placed in a slow group. The CD said Viking didn't do that, the slow group was all volunteer. It is this policy, along with the character of certain cruisers, that lead to the verbal battle on one of our tours between a couple of the passengers. One insisting upon her right to be on any tour she choose while ignoring the other's response of her obligation to keep up and stop slowing the groups down day after day. To me, Viking was the biggest culprit in all of this. They knew they had a problem, but refused to address it. They could have easily identified, by Day 3, those that were constantly holding the groups up and quietly assigned them all to the same bus, thereafter, Nothing said, Nothing suggested. It would just become another regular tour group, in everyone's mind that just went slower. That they don't do that is, I believe, a huge disservice to the majority of their passengers.

On one of our GCT cruises, a passenger and his spouse went home early apparently because he could not keep up and constantly complained about the group's modest pace being too fast. I say apparently because the PDs absolutely refused to talk about it other than to announce that the couple went home and they were OK

On another, several people complained about the pace being too fast. The Next morning the PD announced to the whole group that we needed to go at her pace, otherwise we would not get through the tours. The slower folks, from time to time dropped out of the tour or skipped it. Years later we ran into this same PD on another cruise. Obviously her "hard core" approach didn't cost her her job.

After reading the posts with references to nursing home residents, water pills and frequent bathroom breaks, I am surprised that anyone would self assign to the "slow" group! By the way, I doubt that residents of nursing homes are taking river cruises. For them, the reality of their life is that they are fortunate to leave the nursing home for just a few hours.

Caviargal has it figured out, if she feels a tour will not meet her needs, she is prepared to DIY.

Edited by purduemom1

I took a Uniworld cruise on the Danube when I was 31. I most often chose the "do as the locals do" (AKA, walking rather than bus) tours or the "go active" options. I never felt like I was going too slow, and on occasion I would catch an extra photo opp (like up on the podium at the Nuremburg rally grounds) by wandering off during a stationary/talking part of the tour. As long as we were ready to move when the group did, we were fine. I was by far the youngest person on the boat, but I never felt like I was being held up.

After reading the posts with references to nursing home residents, water pills and frequent bathroom breaks, I am surprised that anyone would self assign to the "slow" group! By the way, I doubt that residents of nursing homes are taking river cruises. For them, the reality of their life is that they are fortunate to leave the nursing home for just a few hours.

Caviargal has it figured out, if she feels a tour will not meet her needs, she is prepared to DIY.

I have never seen a scooter on a river cruise boat, but I have been on ocean cruises were there were several.

Most of the time, the people that slow down a group on a tour, either with an ocean cruise or river cruise, do so not because an inability to keep up, but just being dilatory in keeping up.

I do remember on our excursion from Malaga to Grenada to see the Alhambra that four members of our bus group of about 30 had enough of all the walking and indicated that they would meet us at the previously assigned meeting spot. It turned out those persons were over half an hour late meeting us, which held up the entire group. They said that they got lost, but our meeting spot was at the entrance to the facility. I think they just were not keeping track of time. Some people are on time, some are there early and others always late. That is human nature.

Like a boyscout, I try to be prepared for anything. :D

I really do not comprehend why someone would choose an active pace tour while not being in shape to do so. My mom is 83 and travels with us often. What works so well for us on river cruises is her enjoyment of the "gentle walker" tours while we go out and enjoy the destination at our speed. She would never want to feel that she was slowing others down by her slower pace.

We head out on the active pace tour or DIY, depending on our preference in that port. We have occasionally showed up for the active tour and observed others that really should not have been there (not generalizing due to age but having observed them during the cruise elsewhere). In this case, we just bag the tour and do our own thing.

..It is unfortunate and one of the reasons we so often opt for DIY. We really do not want to have to slow down and wait for others, and prefer our own pace and to pursue our own interests..

Sounds like this may be our best option, but I hate the thought that all these land excursions are paid for & I'm going into it planning not to use them. How

It is IMO quite rude of guests not capable of participating in such a tour to impose on everyone else who is
Agree. I'm not as quick to write it off as human nature when the perpetually late person is making the entire group wait. It's one thing for the slowpoke to make himself late to work or a show, entirely another to delay a group of 30 on the trip of their lifetime.

... We have only used Scenic, .

They also have a "Tailormade" device, which includes maps and built-in guides to all the places you visit (and riverside sights when sailing), so going off on your own is pretty easy with them...

Sounds like this might be a good option.

Hate the thought of missing so much from the local experts though.

Edited by mapsd

I took a Uniworld cruise on the Danube when I was 31. I most often chose the "do as the locals do" (AKA, walking rather than bus) tours or the "go active" options. I never felt like I was going too slow, and on occasion I would catch an extra photo opp (like up on the podium at the Nuremburg rally grounds) by wandering off during a stationary/talking part of the tour. As long as we were ready to move when the group did, we were fine. I was by far the youngest person on the boat, but I never felt like I was being held up.

Good to hear this! We also plan on the Go Active tours. I figure at worst the tours might be a bit slow, but then we can wander out on our own later. Now, just have to make sure my DH can keep up with me ;)