Average age of river cruisers

mapsd

Realize it will be a wide range, but on average, how old is the typical river cruiser?

I would say typically 55 and up for most of them, although some might have a younger clientele. We travel with Vantage and that's the category they market to...mostly retired professionals from all over the US. (Vantage only markets to Americans and doesn't use travel agents). But if the picture that comes to mind is people with wheelchairs and walkers, that's not it!!! Most are quite active and very interested in history, cultures and travel. :)

From what I've read, it seems to depend on the cruise line. I am 47 and DH is 41. This will be our first river cruise. We don't really care how old other people are. We have fun no matter who's around.

We are mid 60s and our first river cruise was on Viking. Mostly everyone was our age or older and retired. We are very active as you need to be but ocean cruising is by far still our favorite, but river cruises will take you places the ocean liners can't go. We're heading to China in March for a trip down the Yangtze.

I thought I would be one of the youngest on our recent Viking River Cruise but at 55 I was far from the youngest. I would say the age range on our cruise was 45-75 but that is just a guess. We spent more time asking each other where we lived and what we did (many are retired) rather than how old we are :-)

From what I've read, it seems to depend on the cruise line. I am 47 and DH is 41. This will be our first river cruise. We don't really care how old other people are. We have fun no matter who's around.
Kind of what I'm thinking, but worried that the tours will move at a much slower pace than what we'd like. Even on board, we're thinking it'd be nice not to always be the youngest at the dining table.

No matter how active, a group of 65 y.o.'s just won't get around as fast as a bunch in the 40-50 range.

Is there a river cruise company that caters to a slightly younger crowd?

I wouldn't worry about the tours. We have been on AMA and they had fast tours, slower tours and those who need special attention. The river cruise we were on had people, I'd say, between 50 and 70 for the most part.

Kind of what I'm thinking, but worried that the tours will move at a much slower pace than what we'd like. Even on board, we're thinking it'd be nice not to always be the youngest at the dining table.

No matter how active, a group of 65 y.o.'s just won't get around as fast as a bunch in the 40-50 range.

I don't think you can make that generalization ie. 65 y.o's not getting around as fast as 40-50s.

60 is the new 50 in every aspect!

My 68 yr old hubby plays tennis every day and from time to time gets beaten by players in their 80s.

If both age groups are healthy, fit and active, then they will both 'perform' at an acceptable activity level needed to manage all river cruise excursions.

Most river cruise lines have a sign up for those that wish to do a shore excursion or walking tour at what they call a 'leisurely' pace. Sometimes it means that not the whole excursion will be seen ie. they may be bussed to meet up with the regular groups to avoid a long walk from ship to starting point for instance. Or they will do the same walk albeit at a slower pace.

In my experience of four river cruises, you will have no worries, and you won't be held up by those pesky 60 y.o.!

Edited by remydiva

I wouldn't worry about the tours. We have been on AMA and they had fast tours, slower tours and those who need special attention. The river cruise we were on had people, I'd say, between 50 and 70 for the most part.

Hi alador, it's Sharon from the river cruise!

To the OP, alador is right- we had all ages and everyone was accommodated. Ours was a wine cruise and I have read that those tend to attract a younger demographic. However, I really can't say firsthand if this is true in every case.

Edited by purduemom1
Auto correct edits

I've only been on 2 river cruises, both in July and both on Avalon. Both times we've had families with teenagers on board. Several Aussies who are not retired but working and on holiday. Several teachers on summer vacation with their spouses.

This talks about it a bit:

http://pdf.cruisecritic.com/travel-guide/UltimateGuidetoRiverCruising.pdf?et_cid=1262487&et_rid=99616845

But honestly, unless you are in search of your next BFF's I wouldn't worry about the age of passenger's too much. Most people who to on river cruises are mobile and active and I don't think your experience will be negatively impacted.

I would focus on finding the line and cruise that suits your needs and desires and let the rest fall where it may.

That's the kind of attitude that makes for a good trip!!! The ability to have fun and a good time is not age specific. I just came back from a train trip across Canada and one of our group was a 92 year old lady traveling with her daughter and she put us ALL to shame! She used her walker on walking tours but you could hear her laughing a mile away.....:)

Edited by Hydrokitty

We just love to explore the world. :) I just wish it was 2016 already. I had the privilege to be stationed in Germany for 3 years so this is sort of a home coming for me. I'm excited to share it with the hubbs.

As others have said, active and healthy 65 year olds do move aruond just as well as 40-50 year odls nowadays, but most excursions aren't about rushing anyhow.

Even on the cycle tour excursion (32 km from |Durnstein to Melk) on our recent Scenic cruise, many of those who came along were well into their 60's, and seemed to have no difficulty keeping up.

But if you do want a cruise line that aims at a slightly younger demographic, I believe Emerald is probably your best bet.

AMA offers Active Tours and bike tours and we have enjoyed a nice mix of ages on our AMA cruises. We are active and enjoy a faster pace; we either participate in an active level tour or DIY.

I was indignant about the generalization that all 65 y.o. can't move as quickly as younger folks since I am 65, walk at least 3 miles a day, bike 15+ miles on the weekend (often much more), lift heavy weights with a trainer (I'm stronger than most of the men that she trains and much stronger than the 20 something woman) and move quickly. However, that being said when we went on our 1st river cruise to China with VRC 2 years ago, there were people who shouldn't have been on such an active cruise that involves walking 3 miles the first morning (if you start in Beijing) from Tienanmen Square to the other side of the Forbidden City. Since on this cruise you are assigned to a group with which you stay the entire time and it is a one size fits all tour, this could be a problem. We were lucky to have only one couple in our group who fit this and they were the most accommodating of all, using carriers and wheelchairs with pushers when necessary and not going on the tour if they felt it would be too strenuous. They became the most popular couple in our group who ranged from 30 something to 80 something. Most people were fit and ready for anything and in their late 50s to late 60s. We are going on our second river cruise this summer and it sounds to me that the European cruises cater to different levels of fitness and that they gauge the fitness necessary for each excursion. Go and enjoy. You are not there to make friends (unless you happen to and ours are 2 guys in their 30s and 60s with whom we are cruising again).

we have done 8 European river cruises and have found the demographics are changing. the cruise companies are marketing to appeal to younger people even family groups in some cases. baby boomers certainly feature widely but so do ages above and below.

anyone with enough disposable income for travel is welcome. age and fitness level can be different as others have said. some 30-40 yr olds maybe unfit some over 60s can be very fit and keen to stay that way by keeping active.

its also possible to do things on your own as others have said. sometimes the city walks are slow because of crowds in small areas. people are forced to shuffle or stop to give way. we did see larger groups on our last 2 cruises and more of them, from many different brands.

My husband and I always said when we got older we would try a cruise. We didn't start traveling abroad until our last dog died and by then my husband was in his 60's and I wasn't far behind. For years we rented cars in Europe and traveled on our own, which is, in my opinion, the best way to go, though it involves a lot of planning, not pampering. In our 70's we went with Elderhostel (now Road Scholar) which assured us of a well-educated, well-traveled group. But now we're too elderly for Elderhostel, (we don't want to be on a tour bus by 8:30 a.m., so in recent years we returned to going on our, but not driving. For those who want to go at a fast clip, be assured that most active people in our generation won't slow you down. They'll simply choose to go on their own at their own pace. That said, we live among Florida snowbirds in the winter and my husband, at 92, is still playing water volleyball and I'm one of the few women who walks two miles a day. I'm 85. This summer will be our first riverboat cruise and I hope all the 60-year-olds won't slow us down. I say this only half-jokingly because 60 sounds young to me. Besides, it's not age that counts, but one's ability to be healthy and active in mind and body.

My husband and I always said when we got older we would try a cruise. We didn't start traveling abroad until our last dog died and by then my husband was in his 60's and I wasn't far behind. For years we rented cars in Europe and traveled on our own, which is, in my opinion, the best way to go, though it involves a lot of planning, not pampering. In our 70's we went with Elderhostel (now Road Scholar) which assured us of a well-educated, well-traveled group. But now we're too elderly for Elderhostel, (we don't want to be on a tour bus by 8:30 a.m., so in recent years we returned to going on our, but not driving. For those who want to go at a fast clip, be assured that most active people in our generation won't slow you down. They'll simply choose to go on their own at their own pace. That said, we live among Florida snowbirds in the winter and my husband, at 92, is still playing water volleyball and I'm one of the few women who walks two miles a day. I'm 85. This summer will be our first riverboat cruise and I hope all the 60-year-olds won't slow us down. I say this only half-jokingly because 60 sounds young to me. Besides, it's not age that counts, but one's ability to be healthy and active in mind and body.

Hello Floridasnowbird,

that is so great to hear. The age range on my cruise was 30 to 80. I am closer to that first figure than the second and I must admit all those new experiences made me tired, the people older than me seemed fitter (most of them). :o

I hope you have a lovely cruise.

notamermaid

I was indignant about the generalization that all 65 y.o. can't move as quickly as younger folks since I am 65, walk at least 3 miles a day, bike 15+ miles on the weekend (often much more), lift heavy weights with a trainer (I'm stronger than most of the men that she trains and much stronger than the 20 something woman) and move quickly. However, that being said when we went on our 1st river cruise to China with VRC 2 years ago, there were people who shouldn't have been on such an active cruise that involves walking 3 miles the first morning (if you start in Beijing) from Tienanmen Square to the other side of the Forbidden City. Since on this cruise you are assigned to a group with which you stay the entire time and it is a one size fits all tour, this could be a problem. We were lucky to have only one couple in our group who fit this and they were the most accommodating of all, using carriers and wheelchairs with pushers when necessary and not going on the tour if they felt it would be too strenuous. They became the most popular couple in our group who ranged from 30 something to 80 something. Most people were fit and ready for anything and in their late 50s to late 60s. We are going on our second river cruise this summer and it sounds to me that the European cruises cater to different levels of fitness and that they gauge the fitness necessary for each excursion. Go and enjoy. You are not there to make friends (unless you happen to and ours are 2 guys in their 30s and 60s with whom we are cruising again).

Agree. I am 67 and just finished a 350 mile bike ride (seven days). DW and I ride 30 miles ever other day.

I remember climbing the 800 plus steps to the fort at Nafphilon, Greece five years ago and passing several persons half my age.

We have been on river cruises were there were people that slowed down our group, but it wasn't age that caused this. The persons just had a tendency to dawdle.

Having a slow walker group helps to cull out those that can't keep up with the usual pace. Great, unless you wind up in that group when you are not a slow walker.

Doesn't it also depend on what you want from a tour? We take photos and don't feel like rushing through a medieval town or a market. On the other hand, we are not interested in cutting a tour short because half of the participants need assistance.

We have been on a tour that was described as strenuous and three participants could not walk it. The tour guide managed to take our small bus inside the area and therefore gained us a lot of time! Great bonus! I could do that any time. :D

Hi mapsd,

My husband & I took our 1st river cruise last year at the ages of 43 & 46. We chose Uniworld, they have several sailing dates/itineraries that are "multigenerational". Those specific dates run 1 tour at each port geared toward kids/teens, a regular tour, 1 called gentle walking (geared to anyone of any age who wants to take it a bit slower & one called go active for anyone who wants some extra exercise. Taking a multigenerational sailing date meant there were several people in our age bracket but they were traveling w/ their kids & we wound up palling around w/ people in their 60's & had a great time.

Next year we want to take Tauck's French Waterways river cruise, we know we'll be among the youngest on the ship but we don't care. We've taken 8 land tours with Tauck & have been among the youngest on all of them but traveling isn't about sticking to your own age bracket, it's about seeing the sights you want to see with people who have the same interests you do. Enjoy yourselves & have a great time!