Who does princess think they are fooling

timbom

Do that, but continue to check prices on your own. I've found the best price drops last a day or two and are not part of announced promotions.

I check frequently for price drops and call my TA - she always gets me a better rate then. For my next cruise, unfortunately, my category is sold out so won't be getting anymore drops. But I did get a big price drop in March so I'm happy. :p

Even though the OP wasn't impressed with the Princess sale prices, I decided to check out a cruise we have booked through a TA that discounts. When I checked the Princess prices last week they were higher than what we are confirmed at. Today, the Red, White & Blue sale prices are over $100 pp less than our discounted price plus there are additional OBCs for excursions. Sent an email to our TA hoping she can get better pricing for us.

So OP, even though you weren't thrilled with the prices, it looks as though it will be in our favor, so thanks for posting! :)

Regarding non refundable deposits I booked the Regal for early December and the "deal" included a non refundable deposit. After discussion for an extra twenty bucks each we booked with a refundable deposit. I felt that was reasonable.

Heard back from our TA. The fare for the cruise went down $275pp plus we got $300 additional OBC. That's a net gain for us of $850. Not bad. so the moral of the story is....depends on the cruise, but for some the Red, White & Blue sale was definitely a big positive.

Thanks again, timbom. Even though you didn't think it was anything special, for us it turned out to be a real positive.

Maybe it is just cruises that seem to go down as sailing approaches but we are taking a Princess land tour/cruise and our tour/cabin has gone UP almost $1300 as we get closer to departure.

The cruisetours will rarely ever get a price reduction that someone already booked can take advantage of.

If the price of the cabin (without the tour) goes down, it will not change the pricing for the cruisetour, especially if all spots on the cruisetour have been booked.

Prices may be lower after final payment, but only for new bookings.

There is no "fooling" going on. This is standard marketing 101, and it should come as no surprise that Princess is trying to sell cruises to people for as much as they can get. :rolleyes:

Most of us are shareholders aren't we? We want them to make a nice profit on every cabin of every sailing....except for mine!

While you can't count on it, the best deals as mentoned start 75 days before the sailing date. We virtually never book prior to 75 days. Consequently no perks or princess booking OBC ever applies to our sailings but what DOES apply is the lowest prices seen. I usually book direct through Princess because I rarely see TA's advertising lower last minute deals and it is just easier to book direct when jumping on last minute deals that need instant decisions.

Terry

It's called marketing and these promotions are done to attract new sales, not to provide lower prices to customers who have already booked the cruise. Its really up to the us to separate the wheat from the chaff. The disappointment here is that there wasn't the anticipated lower price that we all hope for.

Yep it is all about marketing and it is not just Princess they all do it.

Look at the reports on Celebrity and pricing with and without 123 go.

You MUST do your homework.

Totally agree with the OP. When I get a flyer about the latest Princess promotion, I trash it immediately. It's a waste to keep them or even pay much attention to them. They do have Flash Sales which have very good pricing but most people can't use those.

This is why Celebrity has won out with us for our next 2 cruises. We got $350 OBC, free drinks, free tips and the price went down after two months of them being on the books and Celebrity dropped the price without batting an eyelid and we kept all of our promotions. I like Princess, but when I'm at the Elite Level with both cruise lines, Celebrity wins out with their great promotions.

Totally agree with the OP. When I get a flyer about the latest Princess promotion, I trash it immediately. It's a waste to keep them or even pay much attention to them. They do have Flash Sales which have very good pricing but most people can't use those.

This is why Celebrity has won out with us for our next 2 cruises. We got $350 OBC, free drinks, free tips and the price went down after two months of them being on the books and Celebrity dropped the price without batting an eyelid and we kept all of our promotions. I like Princess, but when I'm at the Elite Level with both cruise lines, Celebrity wins out with their great promotions.

Sure you didn't get a choice of the OBC, beverage package OR tips? You don't get all three

Most of us are shareholders aren't we? We want them to make a nice profit on every cabin of every sailing....except for mine!

While you can't count on it, the best deals as mentoned start 75 days before the sailing date. We virtually never book prior to 75 days. Consequently no perks or princess booking OBC ever applies to our sailings but what DOES apply is the lowest prices seen. I usually book direct through Princess because I rarely see TA's advertising lower last minute deals and it is just easier to book direct when jumping on last minute deals that need instant decisions.

Terry

That is because they can't advertise them. You must ask them for a quote.

I have to agree. For the first time I booked a cruise 18 months out. I never do that but this is for a milestone anniversary. I really wanted to book Princess since that's the line we spent our honeymoon on but when I was pricing similar itineraries Celebrity gave me more bang for the buck. Like you I'm getting all three perks and the price dropped $200 from the time I booked. As of now the pricing for a midship balcony on a Princess ship is about the same as what I'm paying on Celebrity but It's not going to cost me a dime on board with drinks, tips and $300 obc included in the price. My C2 category is sold out for a May 2016 sailing. Those who are complaining on the Celebrity board are those who normally book the last minute fire sales. Those don't seem to be happening since they seem to be filling the ships early with these promotions.

Sure you didn't get a choice of the OBC, beverage package OR tips? You don't get all three

If you book a Concierge class stateroom or higher catagory you get all three. Ocean view or standard veranda you get to pick one. Some itineraries like Europe you get to pick two of the three for OV or veranda.

I've always used travel agents who are "high-volume-Princess" agents. They give me 12-15% discounts on cabins, lots of OBC and other perks. If you book directly with Princess you pay the highest price. :(

Very very true.

I agree and they are getting worse. :(

THEY ARE KEEPING UP WITH THE COMPETITION. it seems that is what all the lines do with pricing now. !,@m # Sales. WOW sales. Etc,etc,etc.

A good travel agent knows the difference and can often do better than sale pricing.

I went back and took a look at some of the pricing. The best deals seem to be on the fall/winter 2015 cruises that haven't sold out. The 2016 cruises, and beyond, don't seem to be part of the sale. The Memorial Day sale did include some of the 2016 cruises. Maybe that pricing will come back for Labor Day?

Could not disagree more and it is surely not standard marketing 101.

Rather, it is SMOKE AND MIRRORS 101.

135 Cruises (including 35 on Princess)

and no more!

Really? Because you booked a cruise at what you thought was a fair price (why else would you have booked it?) and then the price didn't drop? And that's never happened on any of the 100 cruises you've taken on other cruise lines?

That is because they can't advertise them. You must ask them for a quote.

This has not been my experience at all. TAs get an email from Princess with last minute, FLASH fares every Friday afternoon. They don't get that email so they can print it out, put it in a drawer and hope that someone asks them for a quote for one of those cruises.

I too use a Travel Agent that has been working with Princess for 30 years...she's not high volume, but she knows her way around Princess. Unless I'm looking at a specific cabin for some reason or a mini suite, I never book anything above the lowest fare balcony. And I usually end up mid-ship on Caribe deck. There's nothing better than having a qualified Travel Agent. Not only that, SHE checks prices for me and gets adjustments when appropriate.

Princess is a pretty conspicuous company - lots of people do business with them and I highly doubt that they are scamming or using bait and switch tactics. They do provide specials that may not seem advantageous for those already booked...but then they aren't supposed to.

I would suggest taking Princess to the Better Business Bureau if you're really sure they are scamming people. I would also suggest you not ask the person next to you what they paid for their airplane seat ticket - you might feel the same about the airline as you do Princess.

This has not been my experience at all. TAs get an email from Princess with last minute, FLASH fares every Friday afternoon. They don't get that email so they can print it out, put it in a drawer and hope that someone asks them for a quote for one of those cruises.

Discount TAs can give you a lower price than the advertised FLASH fares, but you must ask for a quote.

Glad to see you are still an active member Pam. You are always so helpful. OMGosh I booked a Jan 23 and 30 on Emerald Princess on Caribe deck first cabin forward. I have never paid so much for the Caribbean in my life! Second guessing myself on the cabins. We needed two together and like Caribe because of the balcony. We got C104 or something. Used a big box TA this time to save a few $$ Don't know why this cruise is so popular..Giving Princess one more chance(: Our last one on Star to Hawaii was less than desirable . Again so good to see you!

Exactly. Sometimes I pay even less. It all depends.

Princess is a business and they are trying several different marketing promotions. Some people are happy to be paying a net discount of $50.

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

Absolutely not! I got:

$300 OBC

Free Drinks

Free Gratuities

$50 OBC for being booked in a Group (and $75 on my other booking)

This was part of the 123Go Promotion. If you booked in a Concierge Class cabin or higher (often cheaper than Princess' balcony cabins), you got ALL 3 promotions. :D

Edited by DrivesLikeMario