interesting rumor - X going to all select?

suec12

The cruise line needs to be very careful about a all select dining because any one with ADA medical problems will need to eat at certain times . If the cruise line denies these people ,the Federal government will be involved ;because the cruise line headquarters here in the USA & must live under USA laws when it comes to issues like health:eek:

How does NCL as well as the open dining luxury cruise lines handle this?

I think the introduction of so many dining venues necessitates this change so that they can better utilize the space. Our experience was that our 8-person table had one other couple seated with us the first night and then we were the only 2 at the table for the other nights we went to the MDR. On our final night, there were the two of us staring across at the 2 people sitting by themselves at their 8-person table. We had a good laugh over it. I was looking forward to meeting other people at dinner but that just didn't happen because everyone at our table didn't show up.

What's not to like is how busy it is in Select:( People coming and going, tables being turned all around you etc. They put through approximately 3 seatings in Select as opposed to 2 in Traditional. The feeling is much calmer with just the waiters moving between the tables. Also we have found that the low ceilings really amplify the noise.

I think this is one of the few valid objections I've seen to Select.

The cruise line needs to be very careful about a all select dining because any one with ADA medical problems will need to eat at certain times . If the cruise line denies these people ,the Federal government will be involved ;because the cruise line headquarters here in the USA & must live under USA laws when it comes to issues like health:eek:

Nonsense. The ADA does not require that anyone provide a specific table, and a specific waiter at a specific time.

Food venues are open at scheduled times. No land based restaurant is required to open on demand, and neither are those at sea. Diabetics or others that require food at certain times can carry snacks with them.

What's not to like is how busy it is in Select:( People coming and going, tables being turned all around you etc. They put through approximately 3 seatings in Select as opposed to 2 in Traditional. The feeling is much calmer with just the waiters moving between the tables. Also we have found that the low ceilings really amplify the noise.

I think this is one of the few valid objections I've seen to Select.

But is this not exactly how Blu is now?

We will get our first experience in Blu on our upcoming Nov cruise.

RCCL quietly informed travel partners that effective today pre-paid gratuities will no longer be required for MTD. There was no mention of Celebrity and Select Dining changing the policy though.

I expect Celerity will also switch, probably sooner rather than later. A significant part of the current chaotic mess is the number of people booking MDR traditional for the sole purpose of avoiding prepaid gratuities.

Someone booked in a suite said she questioned why her reservation had MDR traditional and was told it was the only way to stop Celebrity's computer from billing prepaid gratuities.

Don't know as we have never eaten in Blu as it would not work for us plus we prefer the ambiance of the MDR. We always travel with friends and have way too much fun:D at dinner as it is the only time we all get together and discuss our day. I think the patrons of Blu are too staid for us and we would probably get the stink eye haha:) Plus most of our friends are not impressed with the Blu menu.

Personally, I wouldn't be a fan at all. I like the structure of knowing that every evening at 8:30, my table would be ready and my waiter will be waiting for me. Having never tried Select, I can't really comment on it, however traditional dining is perfect for me. I don't need any other option than that. I just booked a group of friends for a 2016 sailing, and Select is the only option as well. I was told that is most likely because there are large groups blocking out seating times, but that will change as the sailing gets closer as people drop out.

We had the same experience on a 2016 sailing . I contacted my TA who conted the dining concierge and he got us the seating we wanted.

Except that Blu is a MUCH smaller dining room.

The only experience we've had in the MDR was at lunch a couple of times. Much too loud and tumultuous for us.

On Princess we eat lunch in the MDR whenever it's offered (only on sea days now :( ) but after trying it those few times on Celebrity we've opted for lunch in the Aqua Spa cafe. (It's nice we have so many choices.)

Well, as far as that goes, no one is legally entitled to the dining room at a particular time. It would be of concern if someone could not ACCESS FOOD when they needed to.

If someone has to wait a bit due to a large crowd at the dining room, the person with the dietary concerns could always grab a small something from the buffet or room service to tide them over until the dining room was available.

Not true. We have booked our first Celebrity Cruise and have the 123Go with Select Dining; our initial booking didn't reflect the gratuities but I was told to request a copy of my reservation/confirmation 7 to 10 days after booking and it would then be reflected. On the revised confirmation the amount of the gratuities was credited and the pricing was correct.

Agreed. I'm a TA so I know this to be true. Their system doesn't auto reflect this but it is done closer to sailing or they can put a request in for faster if for instance one of my clients was freaking out about not seeing it in writing at deposit

I expect Celerity will also switch, probably sooner rather than later. A significant part of the current chaotic mess is the number of people booking MDR traditional for the sole purpose of avoiding prepaid gratuities.

Someone booked in a suite said she questioned why her reservation had MDR traditional and was told it was the only way to stop Celebrity's computer from billing prepaid gratuities.

This amazes me that people would do this to avoid prepaying grats.

It makes me think that these may be the same people that stiff the staff by opting out for grats.

It could be that people have OBC and feel they can't spend it if the grats are prepaid?

Don't know as we have never eaten in Blu as it would not work for us plus we prefer the ambiance of the MDR. We always travel with friends and have way too much fun:D at dinner as it is the only time we all get together and discuss our day. I think the patrons of Blu are too staid for us and we would probably get the stink eye haha:) Plus most of our friends are not impressed with the Blu menu.

Except that Blu is a MUCH smaller dining room.

The only experience we've had in the MDR was at lunch a couple of times. Much too loud and tumultuous for us.

On Princess we eat lunch in the MDR whenever it's offered (only on sea days now :( ) but after trying it those few times on Celebrity we've opted for lunch in the Aqua Spa cafe. (It's nice we have so many choices.)

We are sailing with the same 2 couples we sat with in the MDR last year, and this will be all 6 of us, first time in an Aqua cabin and Blu.

Christine what you described sounds like many other threads I have read with comments about Blu, being a cramped, and noisy room. Yes it is a concern. We all have bought the 3 night specialty pkg. None of us has ever done select either. So one way or the other, this will be an exciting and different sailing for us!

EW

Overreaching much? ;)

There are plenty of lines that do all select style meals, following your logic, U.S. based airlines should be forced to provide a meal included in all classes, which I don't believe that they do.

As far as Celebrity going all select, it would have zero impact on me one way or the other, so I really have no opinion.

Would NOT like this. We like dining at 8:30PM with the same table, same group of [new] friends, same wait staff.

You can do that. You just make a reservation at the time you desire, tell the hostess which table you want and meet your friends and enjoy. I have done this on numerous cruises and never had an issue.

We are sailing with the same 2 couples we sat with in the MDR last year, and this will be all 6 of us, first time in an Aqua cabin and Blu.

Christine what you described sounds like many other threads I have read with comments about Blu, being a cramped, and noisy room. Yes it is a concern. We all have bought the 3 night specialty pkg. None of us has ever done select either. So one way or the other, this will be an exciting and different sailing for us!

EW

I've not found Blu to be either cramped or noisy. It was an oasis of calm compared to the MDR. And the service was wonderful.

Linda

Try and answer your questions. You can make reservations or just show up. They will sit you at a table with other people if you wish and from my experience the waiters try and follow the traditional model and serve everyone at the table the same course at the same time. You can of course sit by yourself and this seems to be the majority in Select Dining.

The lines can be for a couple of reasons, first is when people show up at the popular times and can't be taken care of right away. Another reason is that the tradional dining now on most ships has only one entrance due to the other side being taken up for Blu or the Suite restaurant. Saw quite a few back ups until everyone got in a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks seems there are not that many tables for 2 around.,........we will still book BLU but were thinking about a concierge stateroom with a Specialty dining package for change of pace...I expect we would then be requested to pick Select...as we'd be away from MDR on the specialty dining nights...

used to be simpler!

Edited by hcat

BLU has set a high bar for us .. menu, food prep, portions and presentation, great service, schedule, layout, ambiance....you can dine in twos, solo, or chat with very nearby neighbors...

it will be interesting to see if you enjoy it

I expect Celerity will also switch, probably sooner rather than later. A significant part of the current chaotic mess is the number of people booking MDR traditional for the sole purpose of avoiding prepaid gratuities..

What "current chaotic mess"? :confused:

Edited by SantaFeFan

BLU has set a high bar for us .. menu, food prep, portions and presentation, great service, schedule, layout, ambiance....you can dine in twos, solo, or chat with very nearby neighbors...

BLU is wonderful, but usually a bit more than I like to spend.

Last cruise we were on Early sitting and there were many empty tables. Many passengers who had chosen 'Select' were taken into the MDR and placed on one of these spare tables.

Since part of the MDR has been carved out for Luminae, passengers have had to wait for tables in Select dining. It seems sensible to make use of the spare tables in MDR.

Maybe preparations have already been made for the transfer to all 'Select' as our next cruise in 5 weeks has Early and Late wait listed. As to stopping people eating when required ( ADA medical requirement- whatever that is) there is more choice, you just go when you need to.

I found Early and late too restricting, Early is too early and Late is far too late for me.

We have found that on cruises with a lot of Europeans and South Americans that early dining has a lot of empty tables. Many of them wish to eat late.

I am used to getting up at 6am and bed by 11pm, so I like te eat about 6:30pm or no later than 7.

Would NOT like this. We like dining at 8:30PM with the same table, same group of [new] friends, same wait staff.

I agree. DH and I feel the same way.

And you would STILL be able to do exactly the same thing with all select. ;)

And you would STILL be able to do exactly the same thing with all select. ;)

It's different in Select!! Busier, noiser more confusion etc. It is not the same!! Plus with our group we have had 4 to 10 tops. I do not want to be making reservations each night for a 14 night cruise!! Plus we have done 2 28 night cruises in the last couple of years. Can you imagine in Select trying to seat us? I don't want to have to deal with that. We have cruises booked out until Oct 2016 with our table and dining time selected and all our resevation #'s linked. Yes you people that just sail as a couple don't mind but we and our friends do.!! I refuse to be handed a pager or something. Sorry for the rant but people who just travel as a couple don't realize how much we and our friends enjoy our evening meal at the same time, same table, same servers, and no line ups.

Edited by Christine Frances

I've not found Blu to be either cramped or noisy. It was an oasis of calm compared to the MDR. And the service was wonderful.

Linda

Thanks Linda! All 6 of us are so looking forward to this cruise and the experience in Blu.

hcat, we stayed on the sailing you decided to cancel on the Equinox last Nov:rolleyes: which is where we met one of the other couples we are dinning with. This will be our 3rd cruise with the other couple.

We look forward to seeing if our experience is like both of yours.

EW