Need suggestions

lbfluffy

We are frequent cruisers, usually once a year. Next June my husband and I will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. Not sure where to go. We have been to Mexican Riviera, various Caribbean islands and Alaska. Any suggestions? We have cruised Princess, Royal, Carnival and NCL. We liked Carnival the best. Thanks.

We have been crusing for years... on 9 different lines, we have done the Carribbean, Hawaii, Alaska, TAs, the Mediterrean, Eastern Mediterranean, the Baltics... so we have gotten very selective about picking future cruises...

When considering what we might book next, we think about what we would like to see or do.

You say you like Carnival the best... I would check out all their itineraries... for something that catches your imagination.

You might do a cruise you have done before but do it in a nicer cabin.

We cruise mostly Princess, Holland America, Cunard, Celebrity... did a NCL cruise a year or so ago because we found a great price on a cruise out of Rome to Israel, Egypt, Greece. The Mediterranean is amazing, we first went in l989... have returned may times, all ports are wonderful.

Planning to celebrate my birthday and my DH's... in 2017... just booked a California coastal, on the Grand Princess, booked a suite cabin vs a mini suite... easy trip for us can take a taxi to the ship in San Francisco. We have had this suite cabin once before, know we will enjoy it.

This September, we are on the Queen Mary 2, Cunard... doing a 14 day out of New York to Quebec City and back, because everyone say's the QM2 is a different experience. We have enjoyed cruises on the Queen Victoria... so decided to check out the QM2.

Figure out what will catch your fancy?? Go for it.

Absolutely the Med! There are so many fabulous itineraries whether you are seeking history, culture, beaches, romance.

I can almost guarantee that once you sail the Med, you will want to go back again and again.

Happy planning!

If you have about one week or so, then try a Bermuda cruise. Fantastic island and lots to do. Awesome beaches.

For a Med cruise, you really do need at least 2 weeks. It's great to explore an embarkation city like Rome, Venice, or Barcelona for 3-5 days before a cruise.

Besides, who really wants to travel that far for only one week?

Bermuda cruises are very relaxing. Med cruises on the other hand are very port intensive. You are go go most days. You'll need a rest after this vacation.

I am with many here....bermuda or the med....we are planning for the med next year ...I have some mobility challenges and wishing we had been able to do it way back near our 30th....if you have the budget go for it....if not,bermuda is a beautiful destination....because you stay docked several nights it is very relaxing and you could book a special dinner on the beach to celebrate.....enjoy planning!

We would like to go on our anniversary. Bermuda sounds interesting. Of course the Mediterranean sounds nice too. But I am wondering how expensive airfare would be from California especially during the summer. I just got an email from MSC cruises. I have never sailed them before. I have no idea what kind of cruise experience they would be. Hawaii sounds nice too. Wow so many options. Thanks for the tips.

Never done a river cruise. What is it like?

As with anything there is good and bad. Good: Smaller ships, less people (under 200 instead of 1000's), smaller ports, ship often pulls up right at the city center and you walk off into town. Bad: Water levels can be an issue which can cause alternate modes of transportation (but I read that is not a common problem). River cruises get you to places you will never see by a ship.

I haven't gone yet but am planning next year to do an Avalon Central Germany tour. Starting with a week in Prague, joining up with the cruise line there for some day tours. Then a bus to Nuremberg to meet up with the boat and cruise to Trier with stops along the way. At the end of that we will board a train for a few days in Paris.

There's a river cruise forum here with tons of great info and options to choose from.

Edited by Rebel54

I would definitely recommend a Med cruise if it's within your budget. The history, culture, and food are things I can't get enough of. I had never wanted to travel to Europe until I did - now I can't get there often enough.

Marianne

The Panama Canal cruises are lovely - nicely spaced sea days and ports in both the Caribbean and on the Mexican coast that are not always part of traditional cruises. We did a full transit on Celebrity Millennium - love Celebrity!!

Yes! I wholeheartedly agree!

I'd go with the Med. Although, then you have decide eastern or western. There's a lot to see. I agree that if you're going that far, you should stay a couple of days at your embarkation and disembarkation port. A couple of the ports like Rome( well not really, but fairly close) and Barcelona are definitely prime cities to stay in. I will say that the ship isn't as important in the Med, IMHO. There are so many ports where you'll be gone all day, and maybe tired in the evenings. Everything is fairly close too, so not many sea days. But, think about your anniversary in Monte Carlo, or maybe Santorini?