Reaching next level mariner status

ehogan

We are doing a long voyage on the Noordam and will accrue enough days part way through the voyage to move us up to the next level of mariner status.

Does anyone know if they will apply this status to the beginning of the voyage.

I ask, because on a recent long voyage with Carnival they did give us a move up immediately even though we only accrued enough days near the end of the trip.

Thanks in advance.

... it is my understanding that you will be "upgraded" during the cruise, rather than after completing it ... but to be certain, I suggest that you contact the Mariner Society by phone or e-mail to get a definitive answer ... smooth sailinbg ...

From the HAL website ...

If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

Edited by taxmantoo

I can confirm that they won't upgrade status during a cruise. Just last month we hit the 4-star mark halfway through our voyage. HAL corporate said it will not be processed until the end of cruise...once the charges are posted & cruise is closed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can confirm that they won't upgrade status during a cruise. Just last month we hit the 4-star mark halfway through our voyage. HAL corporate said it will not be processed until the end of cruise...once the charges are posted & cruise is closed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Do note the exception if on a GV.

From the HAL website ...

If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

taxmantoo ... thanks for clarifying that only on Grand Voyages will HAL upgrade one's Mariner status ... I had assumed that OP was talking about a Grand Voyage but should've been clearer on that point ... thanks again ...

Sorry, no we are not on a grand voyage...I think it is called a Collector voyage.

Thanks all for your info.

If you are on a collectors' voyage and if you will reach your next star level before the end of your first segment, then I beg to differ with the rest.

I've been on several cruises where roll call members were going to get to the "magic level" (free laundry - LOL) on a collectors cruise (primarily Prinsendam) before the end of the first segment.

If that is the case with you -

They contacted the Mariner's society and were told, yes they would be eligible and to bring the printed email with them. They spoke to the front desk on day one and alerted them and on the second segment they had their new benefits.

This wasn't 100 years ago - 2013 was the last time I recall it.

So, if you will reach it before the end of the 1st segment, it might be worth an email to the Mariners' society. If it doesn't happen until the second segment then you will have to wait until the next cruise to reap the rewards.

hope this makes sense and sorry for disagreeing with the majority.

Sorry, no we are not on a grand voyage...I think it is called a Collector voyage.

If you had booked the legs of your cruise separately, I believe that you would have been promoted at the conclusion of the qualifying leg, but a single booking number Collector cruise is viewed as a single voyage.

Our very first cruise with HAL was a 21 day southern Caribbean Collector cruise on the Noordam. We thought that we would qualify as Mariners after the first leg and be able to attend the lunch on embarkation day for the second leg, but were told that we wouldn't gain Mariner status until the end of the entire cruise.

We are doing a long voyage on the Noordam and will accrue enough days part way through the voyage to move us up to the next level of mariner status.

Does anyone know if they will apply this status to the beginning of the voyage.

I ask, because on a recent long voyage with Carnival they did give us a move up immediately even though we only accrued enough days near the end of the trip.

Thanks in advance.

I was in a similar situation before we took our last cruise. It was under one booking number and consisted of 2 segments (1st was 14 days and 2nd was 22 days). The Mariner Society told me that if I required 14 or less days coming into the cruise that they would upgrade me to the next * level on the second segment. Spending days could not be counted in the days required. In other words they had to be only sea days.

I have a question for five star Mariners.

We just achieved five star status on our Bermuda cruise earlier this month so from now on we will be eligible for a free Pinnacle dinner.

We have always booked and paid in advance for Pinnacle dinners and then received the 50% 4 star credit once on the ship.

If I pre book several Pinnacles for our cruise next April will we be credited with the full amount for one of the dinners and 50% for the remainder, or does the free dinner have to be booked once on the ship?

It's just that if I wait until boarding then most of the preferred times will have been taken by the pre bookers.

I'm sure there are some five star cruisers out there with an answer to my question.

taxmantoo ... thanks for clarifying that only on Grand Voyages will HAL upgrade one's Mariner status ... I had assumed that OP was talking about a Grand Voyage but should've been clearer on that point ... thanks again ...

..... and World Cruise.

Your cruise is 21 days? While that is a nice length, that really doesn't qualify as 'long' cruise in comparison to HAL's really long cruises. Your next cruise, you will be elevated to the next star level.

I have a question for five star Mariners.

We just achieved five star status on our Bermuda cruise earlier this month so from now on we will be eligible for a free Pinnacle dinner.

We have always booked and paid in advance for Pinnacle dinners and then received the 50% 4 star credit once on the ship.

If I pre book several Pinnacles for our cruise next April will we be credited with the full amount for one of the dinners and 50% for the remainder, or does the free dinner have to be booked once on the ship?

It's just that if I wait until boarding then most of the preferred times will have been taken by the pre bookers.

I'm sure there are some five star cruisers out there with an answer to my question.

Congratulations on becoming Five Star. The benefits are nice. :)

Each of you will receive two complimentary Pinnacle Dinners. If you book them in advance of boarding, you will have to pay full amount on your credit card. The charge will be removed and put as a credit to your OBC when you actually dine.

I have never had to chase them for the credit. It has always been automatically applied.

(Hope I didn't make any typos but more often than not, likely I made at least one. :D)

As Sail said, you can book these in advance, and pay for them. But I would not hold it to chance that you are refunded properly. Sometimes I have not had a problem, and some times I have.

I now make it a point to confirm when my dinners are scheduled for, and which ones I want credited as the "free" dinners, and which ones should have the 50% discount applied.

I find it works better if I do this some time when they are not serving meals.

That is certainly a good plan as it getting a print out of your on board account. You can check to be sure you got the credits. Be sure to bring the receipt from when you booked and paid on line.

I have been a 5 Star Cruiser for over 3 years. I am cruising on the VOV July 2015 and will pass over 500 cruise sea days on the first leg of the cruise. Will I be eligible for my next medallion?

Bob

Congrats on the new medalliaon Bob :)

Yes, medallions work differently than the mariner status and they are normally awarded on the cruise where you are attaining that status. You should definitely receive your medallion on the cruise :)

Thank you to Ruth and Sail for answering the free Pinnacle credit question. I will most certainly book it in advance now that I know I can, and be properly credited later.

Since the Westerdam now has length of voyage unlimited internet packages, I am wondering how they will handle the 100 free internet minutes that are given to Five Star Mariners. It is the Westerdam that we will be sailing on and I will certainly want to take advantage of the unlimited package.

Thank you to Ruth and Sail for answering the free Pinnacle credit question. I will most certainly book it in advance now that I know I can, and be properly credited later.

Since the Westerdam now has length of voyage unlimited internet packages, I am wondering how they will handle the 100 free internet minutes that are given to Five Star Mariners. It is the Westerdam that we will be sailing on and I will certainly want to take advantage of the unlimited package.

I hope they still have the unlimited internet package for our cruise - I really liked it:)

I am curious how the internet deal for 5* will be handled as well.

Hopefully there will be unlimited internet and a minor discount? We can only hope :)

Sorry -- HAL will not do that.

You will have to wait until your next cruise to get the new benefits.

By the way -- are you on a Grand Voyage?

Krazy Kruizers is right! On our B2B wester/eastern Carribean Cruise we became 4 stars 5 days into our cruise, and knew it would be applied to our cruise on The Eurodam's med cruise Oct 2016.

Only Grand cruises will they apply your next level.

Denise:)

I hope they still have the unlimited internet package for our cruise - I really liked it:)

I am curious how the internet deal for 5* will be handled as well.

Hopefully there will be unlimited internet and a minor discount? We can only hope :)

We are 5 Star Mariners.

On the Zuiderdam we had a choice of buying the 100 minute Internet package for 50% off -- normally it is $55 so we would get it for $27.50 or buying the unlimited package.

No other deals.

I have been a 5 Star Cruiser for over 3 years. I am cruising on the VOV July 2015 and will pass over 500 cruise sea days on the first leg of the cruise. Will I be eligible for my next medallion?

Bob

Check at the front desk.

Sometimes they make mistakes and pass over people who are entitled to get a medallion on a cruise. We have seen it happen too often.