Tunisia Safety

richarduk

After this afternoon's terrible news about multiple shootings of tourists on a beach in Tunisia, I hope HAL make the decision they should have made long long ago to cancel all visits to the country. I was on a cruise last year and our scheduled Tunis stop was cancelled due to security concerns. I think it's time to stop gambling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33287978

Edited by richarduk

I am on that cruise and yes, La Goulette has been replaced with Olbia a few weeks ago. We had not intended to get off the ship in Tunisia anyway as La Goulette is not an attractive place. Some pax were unhappy with the switch to Sardinia but not us. HAL quite obviously took the correct decision and sadly, I think it will be many years before the Tunisian tourist industry recovers. Which I suppose is what those inhuman terrorists want.

Anyone travelling through British or European airports in the next week or so should be aware that security screening will be on high alert. It will take much longer, so leave enough time. The multiple terrorist attacks today are worrying, but it will not stop me travelling. I will just be sensible and avoid some countries.

what I am angry about is that the October 2016 Transatlantic Rotterdam cruise was put out recently by HAL with Tunisia as one of its ports (switching from Tangier which is in my opinion no better) this after the first incident at the Bardo museum in March targeting cruise ship tourists..HAL is obviously on another planet.. sure they can eliminate the Tunisia port but why even consider going there.. it's a hotbed

we've been on that same Transatlantic cruise every year since 2011 on the Maasdam.. we are on it once again this October.. the first year there were reports of pirates in the area and security onboard was in a high state of alert as we headed just offshore from Casablanca.. why go to these 3rd world countries where security is lax..there are plenty of other ports to go to.. HAL needs to step up its security and port planning a lot better..

Edited by Stakeout

I'm very glad. Took too long, but I'm glad. Do you know if the ship is docking elsewhere or just going around in circles as we did?

We were on the Noordam in October, and it bypassed Tunisia, however we did stop at another lovely island. Sorry your ship did not make another stop.

what I am angry about is that the October 2016 Transatlantic Rotterdam cruise was put out recently by HAL with Tunisia as one of its ports (switching from Tangier which is in my opinion no better) this after the first incident at the Bardo museum in March targeting cruise ship tourists..HAL is obviously on another planet.. sure they can eliminate the Tunisia port but why even consider going there.. it's a hotbed

we've been on that same Transatlantic cruise every year since 2011 on the Maasdam.. we are on it once again this October.. the first year there were reports of pirates in the area and security onboard was in a high state of alert as we headed just offshore from Casablanca.. why go to these 3rd world countries where security is lax..there are plenty of other ports to go to.. HAL needs to step up its security and port planning a lot better..

The world can change in the blink of an eye -- for worse, but also for better.

How many times on these boards have we read of events happening in Israel that caused cancellations for a limited period, but then it became safe enough for calls to resume? Or Athens, for that matter. Or Istanbul.

Under more normal circumstances, Tunis is a nice port of call with great history (for those interested), a world-class museum and some good photo ops in the bazaar, at the Roman baths, at Sidi Bou Said, etc. I'm sure HAL is just being hopeful that things will change for the better, and I'm equally sure they will not hesitate to change the port if things remain unsafe.

(For the record, I recently booked a 2016 cruise with several stops (and two overnights) in Morocco.)

Edited by cruisemom42

Tunisia is a very popular vacation destination for Brits, and an hour ago I found out that a relative and his young family were in the resort next to the one that was attacked, and were on the beach. As both he and his wife are police officers, I gather they knew immediately that the sounds were gunshots and they gathered the kids and ran like hell. That brings it way too close to home. ISIS is a terrible threat, all over the world. But we cannot allow them to bring us all to submission and be afraid to travel or leave our "safe" shores. Is there such a thing now?

ISIS is a terrible threat, all over the world. But we cannot allow them to bring us all to submission and be afraid to travel or leave our "safe" shores. Is there such a thing now?

No. Not when one of the attacks today was in France.

Are the various travel options supposed to take France out of the line-up, too? Where next? It could be anyplace.

Exactly, Ruth. They have cells all over the world. When I was on cruise in January, a massive anti-terror raid held by police forces and national security against these guys, about an hour from where I live. I'm from Belgium, so in an hour you've almost crossed the entire country, but you get my point, I guess. People say there's barely anything happening in this country. And I'm glad for that. But the last year we had the shooting at the Jewish museum in Brussels, the raid and some small scattered incidents all linked to extremists. We are not used to this, but hiding is not an option.

If you will hide for these dogs, you give them what they want. I'm not saying you need to take pictures at the front line, but avoiding places because of them is pretty much impossible. Not in the Middle East nor Europe nor the US.

Edited by headhunterke

Ships still embark in Boston and we certainly had a catastrophic terrorist episode. Not ISIS but horrid nonetheless.

I heard today that though there has already been very strict security at the Hatch Shell on the Esplanade for the Boston Pops 4th of July Concert and Fireworks, after this week's events, security will be ramped up still more. So many thousands gather to enjoy the evening it is such a high risk. Prayers it goes off safely and everyone can enjoy the 4th Concert.

The world can change in the blink of an eye -- for worse, but also for better.

How many times on these boards have we read of events happening in Israel that caused cancellations for a limited period, but then it became safe enough for calls to resume? Or Athens, for that matter. Or Istanbul.

Under more normal circumstances, Tunis is a nice port of call with great history (for those interested), a world-class museum and some good photo ops in the bazaar, at the Roman baths, at Sidi Bou Said, etc. I'm sure HAL is just being hopeful that things will change for the better, and I'm equally sure they will not hesitate to change the port if things remain unsafe.

(For the record, I recently booked a 2016 cruise with several stops (and two overnights) in Morocco.)

you obviously like 'looking over your shoulder'... I do not and never will put us in a situation that my sixth sense tells me is not safe.. must be my non-trusting attitude I developed in my 20 year career

Ships still embark in Boston and we certainly had a catastrophic terrorist episode. Not ISIS but horrid nonetheless.

I heard today that though there has already been very strict security at the Hatch Shell on the Esplanade for the Boston Pops 4th of July Concert and Fireworks, after this week's events, security will be ramped up still more. So many thousands gather to enjoy the evening it is such a high risk. Prayers it goes off safely and everyone can enjoy the 4th Concert.

I'm hoping that Boston enjoys a peaceful celebration - with the recent wind-up of the Marathon trial, the Fourth may be seen as particularly symbolic -- needing enhanced security.

Unfortunately terrorism can happen anywhere. We were on a cruise around Norway, when the Oslo shooting happened. It was a very difficult time for the Norweigans. Our Bergen tour guide knew some of the victims and was very emotional about it as everyone well understood. Our captain had to make the call on whether or not to go to Oslo. Since it became clear there was a single gunman who had been apprehended, the captain made the call to go to Oslo. He told us that such calls are made with head office, local authorities/police, etc, and that the final call was his to make. We felt very safe in his hands. We also wanted to show support for the people of Oslo and so were supportive of the captain's decision.