post cruise illness

bbkarls

celebrity silhouette cruise 6/9-6/21 and delta flt from amsterdam to atl 6/21-self and sps sick since-congestion, no energy, washed out-antibiotics,etc no help-anyone else with these problems? btw fabulous cruise-loved all the ports of call

These are common symptoms/ illnesses many get while and after cruising, hotel stays, airplane flights etc. Confined spaces makes for a great breeding ground for illnesses. What are you asking?

Follow your doctors orders. My last post cruise vacation including land stay, lasted a month. Doesn't happen every time. But we travel with antibiotics and medicines for anything that might hit.

Edited by eandj

On my Summit cruise last month I developed a very bad cold the second day or so after I got on the ship and I'm sure I caught it on the flight over. Has also happened to me several days after a flight, as the other poster said close quarters and sick people! I always bring meds with me.

celebrity silhouette cruise 6/9-6/21 and delta flt from amsterdam to atl 6/21-self and sps sick since-congestion, no energy, washed out-antibiotics,etc no help-anyone else with these problems? btw fabulous cruise-loved all the ports of call

We have friends recently back from Europe (some on a cruise, some not) that have a long lasting upper respiratory illness. DH and I had one after a TA and several weeks on land trip last year. Antibiotics did not help, but time, rest, and inhalers did.

Sorry you feel ill. Be glad you got it on the back end and not the front end, as we did. It's now 5 weeks and it's not totally gone yet.

DH and I got ill on the back end of our Allure TA in April and we had respiratory symptoms for 6 weeks. I am sure it was viral in nature and it just took time. Add jet lag to the virus and you can expect to feel ill for awhile. We had a great time and would do another TA in a heartbeat.

On our last Transatlantic, someone on our roll call suggested using Halo (A preventive medicated mouth spray) on the plane to Rome. We used this, as well as chewing Airborne gummies and cleaning all trays, etc. with Lysol wipes. I really felt these measures helped us to not get sick. I also had anti-bacterial masks available in case someone nearby was coughing or obviously sick. This sounds really over-reactive, but it was better than getting sick.

I have gotten bronchitis toward the end of a cruise. It's miserable - and I hope you feel better soon.

Nowadays before I leave home I get an emergency Z-pack from my doctor and bring along my codeine cough medicine plus other things I might need. I have a history of allergy/sinus problems and can tell when I need more than the over-the-counters. I won't take it unless I need it but from decades of this I can tell. Gives me a little reassurance that at least I can get on top of the situation before arriving home. Nothing worse than being sick in the middle of the ocean and quarantining yourself in the cabin because your cough is enough to wake the dead! Once my husband dozed part of the night in the Sky Lounge because I was keeping him awake. :o

On our last Transatlantic, someone on our roll call suggested using Halo (A preventive medicated mouth spray) on the plane to Rome. We used this, as well as chewing Airborne gummies and cleaning all trays, etc. with Lysol wipes. I really felt these measures helped us to not get sick. I also had anti-bacterial masks available in case someone nearby was coughing or obviously sick. This sounds really over-reactive, but it was better than getting sick.

Hi Honeybearhollow. We used it, too, on that cruise and we didn't get sick. Then I bought a new travel bag (Lug) and forgot to transfer it from the old one! Duh. It doesn't work when it's left home in the old bag!!

Edited by TeaBag

Very interesting. I was on the Silhoutte cruise before you. I started to feel sick on the second to last day of the cruise and it sounds like a similar illness to what you described. Only now am I starting to feel better and I have my energy back.

My hubby constantly caught colds from flights, often ruining his cruise and missing out on ports. I read about using Neosporin (discretely apply to the inside of nose with a q-tip on boarding the aircraft) to prevent colds on flights....I think I read it in Prevention Magazine many years ago. Anyway, worked like a charm because he never catches colds anymore on flights!

I feel sick after every cruise. My doctor told me to take two and call her when I get back. :p

You mean a b2b? I've heard that a b2b2b can cure anything. Then there are those who retire on cruises and they never get sick, they never get anything. In fact they just live on and on ................I want to be one of them.:D

Thanks for another laugh.

Edited by TeaBag

Thanks for so many helpful responses, lots of ideas for future travels. Halo and neosporin definitely on the next list. Dh sill not up to par and won't see doctor so maybe he just needs more time. Thanks again.

Hope your hubby feels better soon.

I wrote down Halo and Neosporin tips for our next cruise....90% of the time I come home with a bad upper respiratory illness that lasts for a week or so. ....Hope these tips work!

Never sick other than after our cruises!

Thanks