How rare are meats in the MDR?

Flo71

I would expect to be able to request a steak cooked to preference but what about meats carved from a larger joint. I am not a fan of bloody meat. :o

They usually one a like more . If you order a rare steak usually it's medium rare. Never order well done otherwise it will be as tough as shoe leather . This seems to be a common problem with many restaraunts over cooking the meat.

I would expect to be able to request a steak cooked to preference but what about meats carved from a larger joint. I am not a fan of bloody meat. :o

It sounds as if you are referring to such as from Prime Rib. As stated by others, you can ask for it how you like it. You specifically asked about MDR but Prime Rib is also available in the buffet and there will be a carver there who can cut your piece from whichever part of the joint you want so you can more personally control what you are served. They will, of course, serve you as much as you like. :)

Tell your waiter your want you prime rib more well done than rare. If it's not what you want, send it back. I find they do tend to cook steaks more than what you asked for. I ask for medium rare in order to get medium, usually. If you do traditional dining, your waiter will know what you want and make sure you get it on any beef night. That's one thing I like about traditional, no need to explain things over and over to new staff.

Edited by shredie

I always assume it has to do with resting. When you take a steak off of a very hot grill, it can move from one temp to the next just while resting. So if they cook it rare, just a couple of minutes waiting for pickup can carry cook it to medium rare.

Most restaurants have the same issue except for steakhouses, some of which know how to time the resting.

This question really is impossible to answer with any degree of certainty. We have been on ships long enough to rotate through three different grill cooks where each one presented meat ordered the same way at different temperatures. Only one of the three really prepared a true medium rare filet (and I worked my way through college working the grill at a steakhouse). It became a joke with our waiter as he'd tell when there had been a crew change and we knew to expect something different for a few days until we figured out his system and then ordered accordingly.

Tell your waiter your want you prime rib more well done than rare. If it's not what you want, send it back. I find they do tend to cook steaks more than what you asked for. I ask for medium rare in order to get medium, usually. If you do traditional dining, your waiter will know what you want and make sure you get it on any beef night. That's one thing I like about traditional, no need to explain things over and over to new staff.

My last 'Surf and Turf' was supposed to be fillet mignon(Fillet Steak).I am afraid to say :o on the third attempt in TRADITIONAL I got what I order'Blue'.I think they must have given up and got it from Crown Grill,only small but delicious worth waiting for.:D

Many cruises ago we stopped ordering steak in the MDR. Always thought it wasn't a quality steak. If we want a steak we go to one of the specialty restaurants. :)

I like the Prime rib. I agree that the steak isn't the best. It is my fall back meal.

Why pay $25 cover charge when you can get the same in dining room.If it is on the menu at Fillet Mignon that is what it should be not an imitation one.Otherwise put a cheaper cut on the menu.I know that cruising solo I pay a good price for my cabin and food so I am not going to pay an additional $25 for the privilege of having good steak;).

That is my personal opinion and I am sticking to it;);)

Just ask them, but the quality of meats in the MDR is not very good.

It isn't just Princess. I had a steak on Carnival that was so loaded with MSG (or something) that it was mushy and gray!:eek: