Sharp Objects/12-oz Bottles in Carry-Ons

Chunder Worthy

I'm leaving for my flight to Barcelona in a few hours and of course have no sharp objects or liquids of more than 3 ounces, etc. etc. for my carry-on item; everything of that ilk is in my checked baggage.

I'm wondering, would the same restrictions apply to carry-on items when I board my ship on Saturday? May I actually BRING a pair of long scissors or a swiss army knife and/or 12 oz bottle/can of liquid, etc. on board in my carry-on item? Just trying to make more room in my already fully-packed main luggage is all.

Thanks.

It is less hassle if you have the liquids in your carry on. If they question it you are right there to open and show that it is allowable. If it is in your checked luggage, then you would be called to the naughty room to open the bag. Just unneeded hassle

Be aware that they prohibit any knife with a blade over 7cm. Scissors should be okay, but they do reserve the right to confiscate any item deemed dangerous.

Have a great cruise! You should know EVERYTHING by now... :p

As paul929607 posted, there is no problems with bringing liquids in your carryon assuming the liquids are not hazardous or alcohol other than wine. It is probably better in your carryon because you can answer questions at screening and not risk having your checked luggage go to the "Naughty Room." I put my small Swiss Army in my checked bag when I fly and leave it there when I board. Don't know if Princess has a restriction on the size of a knife or scissors. Since both carryon and checked bags go through a similar screening it probably doesn't matter where you put such items.

Be aware that they prohibit any knife with a blade over 7cm. Scissors should be okay, but they do reserve the right to confiscate any item deemed dangerous.

Is that posted somewhere on the Princess site?

I found that on OneSource. As said, the Passage Contract basically reserves their right to deny any item deemed dangerous.

I should.....? Uh-oh, SOMEBODY's been surreptiously monitoring my 200 or so mostly innane (many chunder-worthy) posts over the last two months. Well, I'm LEAVING for the cruise today so you won't have Nixon to kick around anymore (haha).

But really, thanks. I only have small scissors for my moustache and a shaver; they're the only things I'm probably going to transfer over to my carry-on at boarding. I MIGHT purchase a liter of coke but I understand there's no harm in that.

My wife cuts material for quilting & has never had any problems putting 8" scissors in her checked bag.

I'm glad for her. They took my long scissors away at boarding and returned them the last night. Don't know what they think I could have done with them that a shorter pair wouldn't do also.:rolleyes:

Yes under the FAQs there is now a list of Prohibited Items

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

• Knives (with a blade over 7cm in length). (Unless specifically authorized for personnel who in the normal course of their duties on board the ship require to be in possession of a knife with a more substantial blade i.e. Galley Staff and Deck Ratings)
  • Diver’s knives, unless accompanied by other diving/snorkelling equipment and a valid diving ID Card/Licence
  • Flick knives, gravity knives, switchblades or lock knives regardless of blade size

Still no mention of kettles/coffee makers, irons/steamers and the like.

Edited by fishywood

It is not just Princess doing the screening. Port authorizes are also part of the screening process. I bought a small letter opener as a gift for a friend last year in Honolulu and it was confiscated coming back on the ship and I had to retrieve it when I disembarked.

Yes under the FAQs there is now a list of Prohibited Items

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

Still no mention of kettles/coffee makers, irons/steamers and the like.

This is primarily dealing with items that could be used as weapons. There is a note that "The above list is not exhaustive."

As paul929607 posted, there is no problems with bringing liquids in your carryon assuming the liquids are not hazardous or alcohol other than wine. It is probably better in your carryon because you can answer questions at screening and not risk having your checked luggage go to the "Naughty Room."

So, if you have liquor, and go to the naughty room, what happens?

Princess' policy says:

"*Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages removed and discarded by shoreside security staff.

Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement."

That is shoreside, but, what about on board security???

Now, people will have another thing to print, and bring to the

naughty room.

I always have a Swiss Army Knife in my checked bag. 15 cruises and never a question about the item.

I bought a knife at a port stop in Bar Harbor about 5-6 years ago and when going through security I was informed nicely to keep it in my cabin or it would be confiscated.

framer

I was advised by a friend to use the cutter on a packet of dental floss for cutting my crochet yarn if I needed to, on a plane. Dental floss is allowed in carry on luggage, scissors may be questioned. I am flying into Sydney 3 days before the cruise and staying with them and will be chauffeured to the Overseas Passenger Terminal on the Friday morning for embarkation.

I had planned to leave the Glen20 spray packed in my checked case until Melbourne, which was the original embarkation point, and transfer it over at the hotel where I stay overnight. I will have a change for the evening, toiletries, essential medication, all cruise paperwork, camera and sunscreen in my carry on case so it won't matter about my checked case being delayed.

Thank you for discreetly reminding me to be careful about the size of the pair of scissors in my crochet bag. I had forgotten the size limit. Thank goodness for other alert people who generously share their knowledge with the up-and-coming cruisers.

This is primarily dealing with items that could be used as weapons. There is a note that "The above list is not exhaustive."

Exactly. kettles/coffee makers, irons/steamers and the like are not possible weapons.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

My wife cuts material for quilting & has never had any problems putting 8" scissors in her checked bag.

I'm glad for her. They took my long scissors away at boarding and returned them the last night. Don't know what they think I could have done with them that a shorter pair wouldn't do also.:rolleyes:

Your problem is that you had them in your carry on luggage. If they had been packed in your checked luggage there is very little likelihood that they would have been confiscated.

Carry on luggage is closely inspected and the person doing the inspection has discretion in what is considered "contraband". Many of them don't seem all that bright...

Exactly. kettles/coffee makers, irons/steamers and the like are not possible weapons.

Well ... then there's the story going around regarding laundry rage. You know, the one where one passenger smacked the other over the head with an iron ... :eek:

Well ... then there's the story going around regarding laundry rage. You know, the one where one passenger smacked the other over the head with an iron ... :eek:

I figured someone would use that angle. :p

In that case so would the "sailing full" sign glued to the passenger services desk.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I should.....? Uh-oh, SOMEBODY's been surreptiously monitoring my 200 or so mostly innane (many chunder-worthy) posts over the last two months. Well, I'm LEAVING for the cruise today so you won't have Nixon to kick around anymore (haha).

But really, thanks. I only have small scissors for my moustache and a shaver; they're the only things I'm probably going to transfer over to my carry-on at boarding. I MIGHT purchase a liter of coke but I understand there's no harm in that.

Have a fantastic cruise! You have been most entertaining in your questions! Enjoy!!

Bon Voyage!! :D

On one cruise my wife brought scissors that exceeded the maximum size. She was up front declaring them as we reached security. They took them, and told her if she needed them to just go to the front desk. At some point during the cruise she needed them and went down. They gave them to her and said to bring them back when she was done. Didn't seem to be real secure to me.

Your problem is that you had them in your carry on luggage. If they had been packed in your checked luggage there is very little likelihood that they would have been confiscated.

Carry on luggage is closely inspected and the person doing the inspection has discretion in what is considered "contraband". Many of them don't seem all that bright...

Not my only problem, but definitely one that day.;)