Independent fishing excursion - cruise line cook fish?

StaceyL24

Hi, was suggested to ask this question on the Princess Thread.

We are cruising with Princess to Alaska and want to book a salmon fishing excursion independently in Ketchikan. The ship fishing excursions say that the chefs on board will cook your catch for that evenings meal onboard, does anyone know if they will do this for fish caught on an independent tour or is it exclusive to those taking an excursion through Princess? Thanks in advance!

I can't say for sure, but I highly doubt that they will want to do this. They discourage any kind of promotion of independent excursions on board because they want you to do their shore excursions.

It's about the money trail and they are likely also concerned about food safe practices which I would hope they would be able to more closely monitor with their own tours. They would not want a guest to fall ill because of poor handling of fish on the way back to the ship. Nice thought! But probably a no go...

We are cruising with Princess to Alaska and want to book a salmon fishing excursion independently in Ketchikan. The ship fishing excursions say that the chefs on board will cook your catch for that evenings meal onboard, does anyone know if they will do this for fish caught on an independent tour or is it exclusive to those taking an excursion through Princess? Thanks in advance!

The answer is likely "No," but check with Princess to be sure.

Your only option may be to pay to have it processed and shipped home before you reboard the ship.

Edited by caribill

Welcome to CC! :)

As stated probably not, best to ask once onboard. ;)

This has come up before. The answer is generally No. For food sanitation (and related liability) reasons, only products from approved vendors are permitted in the galley.

(On a side note, I suspect on the sponsored excursions its not really 'your' fish, they probably do a switch dockside)

In this case, quite literally.. It's just too much risk to bring that type of catch aboard unless you have a quarantine area. Sport fishing boats are not as sanitary as most commercial ones. And if there is an issue with foodborne illness, its the cruise line at risk not the tour provider

Bait and switch?
Edited by Loonbeam

In this case, quite literally.. It's just too much risk to bring that type of catch aboard unless you have a quarantine area. Sport fishing boats are not as sanitary as most commercial ones. And if there is an issue with foodborne illness, its the cruise line at risk not the tour provider

I forgot the :p when I posted.

25 years ago the maitrd D caught a fish and had it cooked for all of us at his table. Was great. I have shipped fish home frozen and it was the best fish I ever ate including fresh from expensive fish markets. Ship it!!

Best to check with Princess but, we heard from others on a previous cruise that they did, in fact, cook one of the salmon they had caught. Didn't ask if it was from an independent excursion or a Princess one though. When are you going to Alaska? We are taking the Golden on September 9th and I have an independent fishing tour scheduled in Ketchikan with Experience One. Check it out on google. bob

In Mexico my resort hotel did cook our dorado.

IMHO no way for mass market kitchen would do it. Wonder if the specialty ones would, highly doubt it. Imagine the chaos and liability!

Bringing a bottle of wine is one thing, bring uncooked fish, meat, veggies, where would it stop. Could you imagine where they would have to draw the line. WHo'd know if caught on a tour, or picked up in the local market

We caught a big Mahi Mahi on a ship's excursion in Mexico. The chef cooked the fish we caught. Most people can taste the difference between a frozen fish and a fresh one that was caught and cooked on the same day. :rolleyes:

We caught a big Mahi Mahi on a ship's excursion in Mexico. The chef cooked the fish we caught. Most people can taste the difference between a frozen fish and a fresh one that was caught and cooked on the same day. :rolleyes:

Princess?

This was many, many cruises ago. (Alaska 1999) It must have been a Princess excursion, but the wife said that this was going to be the most expensive salmon dinner on record. The chef prepared his catch. Unfortunately, there were no salmon lovers. Everyone took a courtesy bite. The fish was left pretty much uneaten.

Edited by cr8tiv1

Honestly, this is done all the time when crewmembers and officers catch fish in ports, but it is prepared in the crew galley and not shared with passengers (unless you're very lucky). Apparently, if you're on a Princess excursion, it's done, too. It would certainly be worth asking if you could do it with a fish caught on your own.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Just to be sure, I contacted someone and asked.

No. Unapproved food product cannot be prepared in the Galley. Period.

This also applies to crew mess, but I am sure there could be some things overlooked there...

I just watched a program on paul gogan cruise line. The chef goes to market in each port and buys fresh fish,unlike Princess who never serves fresh. Maybe Silversea would do it but no large cruise line

I just watched a program on paul gogan cruise line. The chef goes to market in each port and buys fresh fish,unlike Princess who never serves fresh. Maybe Silversea would do it but no large cruise line

I can just see the Princess Chef heading to the market for 3500 or so.