Main Show Ratings

mcrcruiser

Depends on the show of course but I would go for a 6-7 out of 10 for the HAL cast performances and many entertainers. There are the stellar ones that one runs across now and again that rate a 10, which includes the crew shows and often local entertainers that come on board.

Edited by take us away

I enjoy many (if not most) of the headline entertainers; some are better than others, of course.

The cast production shows are more of a "meh". Usually too loud, belted out by people who don't understand the difference between "singing" and "screeching". Some of the male singers are excellent, but you have to get lucky.

I enjoy many (if not most) of the headline entertainers; some are better than others, of course.

The cast production shows are more of a "meh". Usually too loud, belted out by people who don't understand the difference between "singing" and "screeching". Some of the male singers are excellent, but you have to get lucky.

Completely agree with Ruth.. Most of the headline entertainers are enjoyable... But I've often had to remove my hearing aids when many of the female cast singers are on stage..:eek: We usually try to stay for the whole performance, but have on occasion walked out because of the "screeching"

in the last 6 sailings. Don't think we missed much. Hated Droom.

I think that was a pretty polarizing show. People either liked it or hated it. It did win a Magellan Award from Travel Weekly magazine.

I echo your sentiments exactly!

I really enjoy the HAL production shows. If you enjoy Broadway musicals you will probably enjoy them. But while the shows are enjoyable, they are not at the same level, but plenty good. Much depends on the size of the ship. Bigger ships have larger stages and the shows appear more grand....doing musicals on a small stage is never good as you tend to hear the dancers clomping around....as with any musical, the shows are loud. (so you can't hear the dancers) so suggest you sit in the back or bring foam ear plugs if that is a problem....

I probably end up walking out of more than half of them after 15 minutes...but every now and then you get a good one.

Unfortunately the ones I would say are good are far far outnumbered by the ones that I find to be truly awful.

It will truly depend on what YOU enjoy! I, for example, HATE "production" shows...they remind me of a high school variety show....

I enjoy comedians, and GOOD singers and bands...I enjoy watching good dancers...but not just hopping around to some soundtrack and calling it a "show".

It will truly depend on what YOU enjoy! I, for example, HATE "production" shows...they remind me of a high school variety show.

I think you nailed the description perfectly. My wife and I love cruising for two reasons: you unpack your bag once and your hotel goes with you and the evening's entertainment. Sadly, the entertainment worsened on each of our three HAL cruises. Most recently we were on the Oosterdam and were bitterly disappointed with the shows in the Vista Theatre.

The production numbers... weren't. Two shows were presented during our 7 day cruise. They were both collections of unrelated songs with no discernible themes. Costumes were minimal as were the sets. The dancers were average at best but they only had 4 women and 2 men. Music was prerecorded with a good portion of the show lip synced. Of the major lines we've sailed on, HAL is by far the worst for entertainment.

Our cruise also included a comedian who delivered the typical, time worn cruise jokes but with an engaging, warm personality. An illusionist couple were also on board and provided an OK show.... nothing special. One night was a movie and another was Dancing with the Stars. Watching other passengers dance is not good entertainment for us.

So, if entertainment is your wish, take another line. Many other posters will confirm that this is not a HAL strength.

I am not an experienced HAL cruiser but have just returned from Zuiderdam. Saw all three production shows which were entertaining but I could only describe them as average. Costumes were very disappointing. Didn't see any of the guest entertainers as they weren't to my taste, but many passengers thought that violinist, Jacqueline Dolan was excellent.