Live From Island Princess, 7/9-7/21, Aft Facing Balcony

flourpot

It's now 2:00pm and we're still at the small island in Greece. The Red Cross came onboard, as well as the Greek Child Protective Services because there were apparently a number of minors included in the 117 refugees from Syria. They had to get clearance from the local authorities to remove the children from our ship and take them into Greece.*

The captain just came on the intercom and said that all of the refugees are safely on shore and we're free to go as soon as we put our lifeboats back up. He also said that instead of going to Istanbul (it's now too far away and we won't make it in time), we will be spending tomorrow in San Torini, Greece. I don't know anything about it, but people on board cheered when it was announced (if you know anything, please tell us!). The shore excursions desk asked for 2 hours to get tours ready for us (pretty spectacular to get that going in only 2 hours in my opinion) and they would have info sent to our cabin.

We just started moving again and the captain tells us we'll *be in San Torini tomorrow from 8:00am to 8:00pm.

What an amazing story you will have to tell about your cruise! I'm so glad that the Island was able to help, and I'm very happy that you will get a nice stop to replace the one you missed. Thank you for the live from - was following it to get tips on the ship as we'll be on her in February.... didn't expect a breaking news story of an amazing rescue!

Thank you so much for keeping us up to date on this amazing story. So sorry that you will miss Istanbul, but in my opinion, Santorini is one of the most beautiful places on earth!! It is a fabulous stop. Take the donkey ride up the mountain, have some fabulous Greek wine and food, take pictures of beautiful blue waters, blue sky and white buildings. Enjoy your day!

Edited by jkocpa

Thank you so much for keeping us up to date on this amazing story. So sorry that you will miss Istanbul, but in my opinion, Santorini is one of the most beautiful places on earth!! It is a fabulous stop. Take the donkey ride up the mountain, have some fabulous Greek wine and food, take pictures of beautiful blue waters, blue sky and white buildings. Enjoy your day!

220px-Imerovigli_02.jpg

Agree!!!!! :D

From Lonely Planet (trying to do research for you with my free internet at home so you don't have to)

Cable Car & Donkey

A cable car hums smoothly (every 20 minutes 6.30am to 10pm June to August) between Fira and the small port below, known as Fira Skala, from where volcanic island cruises leave. One-way cable car tickets cost €4/2 per adult/child and luggage is €2. Less frequent services operate outside the peak season. You can make a more leisurely, and aromatic, upward trip by donkey (about €5).

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/greece/cyclades/santorini-thira/transport/getting-around/local-transport#ixzz3fg7paikY

Checking Cruise Critic Ports board it seems taking a boat to Oia is the thing to do.

There is only one small Windstar ship in port with you, so that's good.

€8 was for the round trip. Boat to Oia dock, coach up the hill and a coach back to Thira. However, the latest departure from Oia was 1.00 pm. It certainly pays to go early too as Oia gets much more crowded as the morning goes on.

The company was called NSTravel.

This was my blog if you at interested.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho...from+rhapsody#

t Santorini, the boats to Oia are running.

Angie, they gave me a leaflet with that website address. boatmensunionsantorini.

You could check there but when we went the return buses were stopping at 13.00.

Or try emailing

boatmen@otenet.gr

The office staff on the dock spoke good English.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2223198

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=594

Last I heard, the boat company provided a bus that took you back to Fira and everyone took the cable car/mules/walk down from there. Someone reported that there was about an hour and a half in Oia before the bus left, although I'm not sure if there were buses before and after that time. I assume the buses run on a schedule of sorts.

Edited by chamima

Given the number of boats full of refugees in the Med, it is surprising that cruise liners don't get involved in more rescues like this.

As an aside, it would be interesting to know if the refugee crisis in the Med has been covered by US news media.

Thankyou so much for taking the trouble to keep us informed about the situation ,much appreciated.Been able to get in touch with our friends ,great news to hear the ship has been able to move on quickly. Enjoy the rest of your cruise in that beautiful blue sea in a lovely part of the world. Have fun in the sun !!!

Thank you for taking the time to post your update regarding the humanitarian aid afforded by Princess.

Santorini is gorgeous. Highly recommend taking the ferry to Oia and the bus back to Fira. Tickets are sold on the pier where there are many vendors offering tours.

What an amazing night/day you've had. We read so much about the refugees setting off in tiny poorly equipped boats, and you've experienced it firsthand.

Thank you for the detailed reports. This has been one of the most interesting and heartbreaking "live from" reports that I've ever read.

I hope the rest of your cruise goes smoothly and that you enjoy the new Greek port.

Originally Posted by NorbertsNiece View Post

The local tenders will give out leaflets for the local ferry to Oia; for just a few euros the ferry will take them to Oia which is absolutely stunning then catch the bus back (fare included). They can then either take the cable car down or walk the zig zag path (I will not recommend the donkeys)

This is what we did, worked out great. There will be an office for the boat tickets right near where the tender lets you off, it's clearly marked. The small ferry takes you down island where you pick up a bus (they will be lined up and ready) for the trip up the hill to Oia. Spend as much time as you like there, your ticket includes the bus back to Fira and I think these buses leave every hour. Once back in Fira, browse the shops or stop for a bite to eat at one of the ocean view cafes, then line up for the cable car down.

Your alternative plan is to get off the tender, wait in line for the cable car up to Fira (or take a donkey or walk, neither of which looked appealing at all.) Once in Fira, you have to take a bus or taxi to get to Oia, which is where you'll find the most impressive and famous views. Lines for the cable car were very long on our port day, up to 2 hours I heard standing in the hot sun.

Edited by chamima

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5530

I found this link as I tried to find new of this rescue on the internet. Unable to find anything so far.

PS: OP Santorini is beautiful! Beware the long long long line for the cable car down and allow time for it. And PLEASE get the ship to Barcelona on time for my boarding on the 21st.

Edited by hpeabody

It finally made the news somewhere:

A total of 117 migrants have been rescued off the western Greek island of Zante after their boat issued a mayday call.

Authorities launched a rescue operation Saturday night after receiving the distress call.

A military plane spotted the vessel west of the island in the Ionian Sea, the coastguard said. It is not clear what the emergency was.

A lifeboat transferred the passengers to a passing cruise ship, the Island Princess, which was expected to arrive in a port on the western Greek mainland later.

Tens of thousands of migrants have arrived in Greece so far this year, usually on Aegean islands from the nearby Turkish coast, overwhelming local authorities.

Aid groups say Greece urgently needs more help from the European Union to deal with the influx.

Edited by caribill

For those who might be interested in a fantastic meal in Santorini...

Have Gyros/Baklava at Taverna Sirtaki, its on the main pier. Only a few yards from where the tender drops off. Open air with beautiful views.

Right side of the main pier (facing the pier).

My friend, manager Nico will take good care of you.

I second Oia. At the other end of the island is Akrotiri (Greek ruins)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=akrotiri&biw=1223&bih=763&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=co6iVanpAc_ToATojqyoDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQsAQ&dpr=1

These are worth seeing.

The Bus Station does not look like a Bus Station. It is just a big parking area for the busses in Fira. It is just South of the main Square and on a one-way side street. Schedules are in English and posted to the right-hand side near where the benches are to sit on. Most routes are served every hour or half-hour from 7am to 11pm during the high season. You pay the conductor on board and prices range up to 3 Euros.

Destinations are:

• Akrotiri

• Athinios (ferry pier)

• Ia (or Oia)

• Kamari

• Monolithos (airport)

• Perissa (beach)

• Perivolas (beach)

• Vlihada

• Vourvoulos

The buses are modern and air-conditioned.

of course, you can also take a taxi.

Kudos to Princess and all the passengers on this cruise who are missing Istanbul. Santorini is a great substitute as it is beautiful.

If you opt for a ships tour, the tenders will set you off at Athinios port here. Note the road snaking up the side of the cliff in the second picture:

BG-6.jpg

BG-7.jpg

This is the old port, where the rest of you will get off the tenders. the largest white building is the tram station. Note the zig-zag trail used by pedestrians and donkeys:

BG-18.jpg

BG-14.jpg

Local tender

BG-17.jpg

BG-23.jpg

So sorry you're missing Istanbul (as I'm sure it was a main reason for booking this itinerary) but I hope everyone on board feels that they've been part of a very important life saving experience.

well said - and just think of the stories you can tell about this cruise later.

We are on this cruise in October, and even though I would feel sad about missing Istanbul, I realize that lives are much more important.

Thanks for doing the live thread and the details.

Vickie

I don't know anything about it, but people on board cheered when it was announced (if you know anything, please tell us!).

I'm not surprised they cheered! Santorini is one of my favorite ports. It is so gorgeous, it's hard to describe. The little shops sell beautiful stuff. There was one where all the clothes were white. I got my daughters some beautiful white linen dresses there. The view of the ship from the town is breathtaking. What a tale you will have to tell when you get home!