Pensioner thrown off Royal Caribbean

babs135

True!

Still, the cruise line could probably have handled the situation better.... :(

LuLu

Nope. They did exactly what they should have done. I do know a little about this. This couple were chronic complainers, right down to the complaint about their clothing being smeared with the cabin's fresh pain. Tell me, what inside a cruise ship cabin is painted?

This was not just some casual comment about "jumping ship" at the next port. These complainers are severely minimizing what happened to the media.

Nope. They did exactly what they should have done. I do know a little about this. This couple were chronic complainers, right down to the complaint about their clothing being smeared with the cabin's fresh pain. Tell me, what inside a cruise ship cabin is painted?

This was not just some casual comment about "jumping ship" at the next port. These complainers are severely minimizing what happened to the media.

How little do you know, exactly? The linked article clearly states that the wet paint came off the balcony.

If the line threw passengers off the ship because they didn't know what "jump ship" means, it's wrong but understandable. If they threw them off because they made several complaints, one of which was about clothes being ruined by wet paint, then it's wildly unreasonable.

True!

Still, the cruise line could probably have handled the situation better.... :(

LuLu

Why???? I am sure the cruiseline consulted legals to follow a course of action to get the"PENSIONER" (a keyword for media sympathy) off their ship. Nothing else to fall back on but the media! Why handle it better? The cruiseline won't suffer but to let potential passengers know.....act like an a** and you are off!

These 2 were lucky...they were handed a one way ticket back to the cuckoo's nest.

Funny but the incident happened a year ago (in May 2014) and full refunds were given. This is all to do about nothing. The complainant got more than he should have and now wants an apology. What a joke.

How little do you know, exactly? The linked article clearly states that the wet paint came off the balcony.

If the line threw passengers off the ship because they didn't know what "jump ship" means, it's wrong but understandable. If they threw them off because they made several complaints, one of which was about clothes being ruined by wet paint, then it's wildly unreasonable.

People whine and cry, and do stupid things on cruise ships all the time, but these people took it to the level of getting kicked off. Common sense should tell anyone reading these articles that the account given by the perps are very, very minimized. The cruise line did nothing wrong here. Mr. Moran did and he paid the consequence.

I agree -- there is more to this story than is being released to the press.

Of course, the press likes to enhance the dramatic element by using the term "pensioner" rather than, say, "adult". What possible difference does it make if a person is a pensioner, a self-employed middle-aged entrepreneur, a very young independently wealthy member of the leisure class, or a minimum-wage unskilled worker of indeterminate age?

If a passenger is removed from a ship for a valid (or an invalid) reason, it is the fact of the removal and the reason for such removal that matters - unless it is assumed that pensioners deserve better treatment than everyone else.

The same, of course, applies to people who do not like paying service charges who post on threads covering that topic.

Sounds like at the airports. You don't make jokes about security or actions that would violated it.

So true, we bought a jacket in florida, and told husband to be

careful when referring to his new coat as it was the " bomber style"

not to say anything about his bomber jacket.lol

People whine and cry, and do stupid things on cruise ships all the time, but these people took it to the level of getting kicked off. Common sense should tell anyone reading these articles that the account given by the perps are very, very minimized. The cruise line did nothing wrong here. Mr. Moran did and he paid the consequence.

OH EM GEE!!!

I didn't catch it when I read the story. Moran...Moran? That sure is ironic ;):D

Edited by iheartbda

I find the word 'pensioner' in the title rather curious - it has nothing to do with what happened unless it's an attempt to gain more sympathy for the 'victim'.

No-one in the UK would find this at all curious. The media here are obsessed with people's ages!

The name "Moran" sounds like "mo-ran". I think you are confusing this with the correct spelling of moron which is the term for simpleton or fool. Moran is actually a rather common name and I imagine anyone who mixes it up with "moron" feels a bit foolish.

Just wondering if it is standard policy for cruise lines to issue refunds and pay peoples' return fares home if someone is thrown off a cruise ship? I assume it isn't as that would would not be a deterrent for bad behavior. I ask since I've never been thrown off a cruise ship - yet!:)

The name "Moran" sounds like "mo-ran". I think you are confusing this with the correct spelling of moron which is the term for simpleton or fool. Moran is actually a rather common name and I imagine anyone who mixes it up with "moron" feels a bit foolish.

To whom are you responding?

I don't confuse Moran and moron but your post does have me TOTALLY confused.

Uh, no. You totally misinterpreted. No one said anything about "moron." If you don't recognize the name or know what we're talking about, it's probably for the better.

Poster was referring to Brenda MORAN

http://www.expertcruiser.com/advice/royal-caribbean-says-get-out-of-here-to-couple/

Am I supposed to feel sorry for this couple? They threatened to "jump ship" and the cruise line obliged them. Maybe next time they shouldn't say something they don't mean.

I see your point. They wanted off, and the cruise ship let them off.

I think people don't necessarily mean "jump ship" as in they want to jump off the balcony and fall into the sea. I think they say it as in "I am done with this cruise and can't wait to be on with my life doing something else." Poor choice of words.

Most likely, a misunderstanding. The old man got wet paint on his trousers, complained to somebody who's English is probably far from perfect, who couldn't tell the difference between the expression "jump the ship" and "jump off the ship" - and it's all escalated from there.

For me the links in the OP didn't work, I Googled this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3150077/Holidaymaker-said-wanted-jump-ship-cruise-held-room-security-crew-thought-threatening-suicide.html

Most likely, a misunderstanding. The old man got wet paint on his trousers, complained to somebody who's English is probably far from perfect, who couldn't tell the difference between the expression "jump the ship" and "jump off the ship" - and it's all escalated from there.

For me the links in the OP didn't work, I Googled this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3150077/Holidaymaker-said-wanted-jump-ship-cruise-held-room-security-crew-thought-threatening-suicide.html

I think there was far more to this than a "misunderstanding". Considering that the Security Officer and the Staff Captain interviewed the man when they returned to their cabin, I don't think there is a mariner afloat today, particularly a senior officer on a ship where the official language is English, that doesn't understand the nautical term "jumping ship". I suspect that they had complained to a large number of crew, who had reported the complaints to senior staff, and the couple may have made statements threatening to the crew, or that the crew found abusive, and the Captain decided to put them off. Since this was apparently referred to Corporate for guidance, I think it was a case of disturbance to other passengers.

I think there was far more to this than a "misunderstanding". Considering that the Security Officer and the Staff Captain interviewed the man when they returned to their cabin, I don't think there is a mariner afloat today, particularly a senior officer on a ship where the official language is English, that doesn't understand the nautical term "jumping ship". I suspect that they had complained to a large number of crew, who had reported the complaints to senior staff, and the couple may have made statements threatening to the crew, or that the crew found abusive, and the Captain decided to put them off. Since this was apparently referred to Corporate for guidance, I think it was a case of disturbance to other passengers.

Thank you. You (as always) make a lot of sense. The Voice of Reason.

This woman came to mind as I was going through this thread -- just couldn't think of her name, but Ohio and volunteer police officer, or something like that, and the words "black light" popped into my head.

She reminded me of a former co-worker of my hubby who would pull stunts to try to get freebies by coming up with complaints. I saw this in action while hubby and I were at a coffee shop diner and waiting forever for our meal. The waitress came over, visibly upset and apologizing to us for the delayed meal. She had been dealing with a customer who complained that the coffee pot was dirty and demanding a freebie meal. My hubby looked over and said, oh I know this guy, he pulls this stuff all the time and then boasts at work about getting something over on Sears, etc.

Besides the obvious aspect that many of us would never even think of this...it also adds to the costs for the rest of us if a company has to give something to placate these scammers.

So Aquahound, if he has heard about this man pulling similar complaints to get $, could be right on target. That would definitely be the third side. If he had hired a lawyer (maybe one of those maritime attorneys that often get quoted in articles that are negative about cruising, that could explain the settlement.

And probably erring on the side of caution too. Imagine if this couple went missing on the ship, and suspected of literally "jumping ship," the costs of the attempted rescue, the inconvenience to passengers for any aftermath as well as any emotional distress, and the negative press from losing passengers. And if this man was abusive while being interviewed, the security staff would have the right to remove the couple from the cruise at the earliest chance. And if abusive to the crew, he could be abusive to passengers too.

Yes, I would be willing to bet it was exactly this.