Equinox 1A or 1B

Mango Mike

Just curious, is a 1A category stateroom really that much better than a 1B?

We are currently booked in stateroom 9194 (1A) which is on the forward "angle" so it will have a larger verandah (thus the 1A rating). There are a few 1B staterooms available "out" on the forward hump (not above the life boats) that would have the standard sized verandah (thus the 1B rating).

Since the staterooms themselves are the same size, is it really worth the extra cost (minimal) for a larger verandah keeping in mind that directly below 9194, we would be looking at the top of the life boats?

We had a 1A on the Silhouette on our last cruise in May in the Baltics and we enjoyed the bigger balcony on the slant. Keep in mind that as Captain's Club members we got the 1A for the price of the 1B. Not being able to see backwards was not a big deal for us. We enjoyed it so much that we booked a similar cabin for our Australia/New Zealand cruise this coming November. Again, we paid for the 1B and were upgraded to the 1A. On the Baltic cruise the difference was about $40 pp, on the AU/NZ trip is is about $300 pp...

The pricing is minimal - the difference between the 1A and 1B staterooms is only $40/person.

Being Diamond members on Royal, we apparently get Elite benefits on Celebrity so we are already getting the 1A stateroom for the cost of the 1B.

I just did a quick check, and the cost difference between a 1B and a 1C stateroom (if we were to change) is the same, $40/person. So if we were to change to a 1B stateroom cabin and get it for the cost of a 1C, the savings would only be $80, so the cost isn't an issue.

So as I'm rethinking my original question - now that I've taken cost out of the picture, let me ask this (from all you seasoned Celebrity experts) - which do you prefer, 1A (larger verandah, on the slant with a somewhat limited views) or 1B [on the hump] (smaller verandah, but with more open/panoramic views)?

The pricing is minimal - the difference between the 1A and 1B staterooms is only $40/person.

Being Diamond members on Royal, we apparently get Elite benefits on Celebrity so we are already getting the 1A stateroom for the cost of the 1B.

I just did a quick check, and the cost difference between a 1B and a 1C stateroom (if we were to change) is the same, $40/person. So if we were to change to a 1B stateroom cabin and get it for the cost of a 1C, the savings would only be $80, so the cost isn't an issue.

So as I'm rethinking my original question - now that I've taken cost out of the picture, let me ask this (from all you seasoned Celebrity experts) - which do you prefer, 1A (larger verandah, on the slant with a somewhat limited views) or 1B [on the hump] (smaller verandah, but with more open/panoramic views)?

I've had and enjoyed both, bit given our preference, would choose the view over square footage. We only need room for a couple of chairs and a table, as we don't entertain in our cabin, but we do love having a panoramic view.

Something mentioned in other threads is that the forward-angle verandah is windier when the boat is underway. Personally, we've not noticed it, or it certainly hasn't bothered us at all, but some CC members have spoken negatively about it.

So go with the 1B and use the savings for a nice dinner in a specialty restaurant!

Our Reflection cabin 9294 was the bomb. Balcony was so much larger than our buds Aqua cabin and right at the elevators/centrum...perfect location. Ours was on the rear "slant" and we could only see the aft, but we loved it: You have to lean out to see forward even on the hump straightaway anyway. The glass partition comes all the way to the rail.

10mpisy.jpg

2z9jok3.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo

We were in a 1A deck 8 on the Equinox last Nov and friends who were on the flat, even in Aqua, were always commenting about how cramped their balcony felt compared to ours. Keep the angle.

Edited by wallie5446

we have been in cabin 9292 on solstice which is a 1 A...it worked perfectly as we could see front and back. I am assuming the first hump cabin is not open? This was the first hump cabin so we could see front and back. It was a fabulous cabin with a large balcony like the other poster shared. loved it!!

we like the larger balcony. that's my vote.

We were in a 1A first slanted balcony last year on Silhouette. I talked up this cabin to my husband...sold him on the idea and the cost that went with it. What I haven't heard yet on these boards is that it was sort of noisy! And I checked the S class spreadsheet too. There was a large air return vent on our balcony. You really couldn't see it because it was set back above the sliding door. Constant white noise. I would take a cabin that is on the flat part of the hump just to avoid that air return sound. Great location and like others have said you can see forward and backward.

We were in a 1A first slanted balcony last year on Silhouette. I talked up this cabin to my husband...sold him on the idea and the cost that went with it. What I haven't heard yet on these boards is that it was sort of noisy! And I checked the S class spreadsheet too. There was a large air return vent on our balcony. You really couldn't see it because it was set back above the sliding door. Constant white noise. I would take a cabin that is on the flat part of the hump just to avoid that air return sound. Great location and like others have said you can see forward and backward.

Do you remember the room number? Maybe you could post it to the thread with the S Class information. This is exactly the type of thing that it is designed for. Then the next person would know it when they check the list.

The size of the slanted balconies looks great, but is there a "privacy" issue due to the way they face "indented" cabins?

Please don't slam me for this post.....Not planning to do any naughties on the balcony, but wouldn't feel comfortable having people looking at us when we're sitting out there. Nor would I want to be looking at others.

We are frugal folk. On our recent Eclipse cruise we were in 6222 which is a 2B on the jut-out. Great location for the elevators. We could see just a bit of the deck below. Very private.

For our upcoming cruise we've chosen 6240 which is a 2C with the triple-sized veranda but will have a lifeboat or davit below leaving us with a partially obstructed view. That cabin is next door to a 1A.

The size of the slanted balconies looks great, but is there a "privacy" issue due to the way they face "indented" cabins?

Please don't slam me for this post.....Not planning to do any naughties on the balcony, but wouldn't feel comfortable having people looking at us when we're sitting out there. Nor would I want to be looking at others.

Yes, if you don't want to be seen at all, there is a bit of a problem with that. But only if you're at the rail. The balcony is deep enough to protect you from that.

No privacy issue at all. Unless you are standing up at the rail, you can't be seen and you can't see anyone else. This is the balcony of C2 cabin 1231 on the Eclipse; same location as the 1As on the slant of the hump. We had a similar cabin on the Silhouette. We totally loved the location and the large balcony.

EclipseTA042_01.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Do you remember the room number? Maybe you could post it to the thread with the S Class information. This is exactly the type of thing that it is designed for. Then the next person would know it when they check the list.

I just did. Cabin 1610, 11th floor.

If you stood at the railing and looked back at the sliding door and looked up, you'd see the area leading to the intake.

It was a constant white noise, like the sound of being out to sea...only constantly...even when in port and not moving.

Edited by mickeysgal

Personally, I prefer the 1B's. The larger balcony is not as important as not having a restricted view in one direction, depending on whether the 1A is on the front or back of the hump.

But, others can't say enough about the added space -- thankfully there are both categories.

mac_tlc

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I had a question for Mickeysgal. I've never posted before, so here goes :) I was concerned about the air vent noise she referred to, but she doesn't say what cabin it was. If you would tell me what cabin you are in, I would really appreciate it. We are looking at a 1A on the Equinox. Thanks!! I am also a newbie at this, and wonder how you get to the threads, or sticky's, about the cabins. Thanks!

Edited by djwhj

Hi, I had a question for Mickeysgal. I've never posted before, so here goes :) I was concerned about the air vent noise she referred to, but she doesn't say what cabin it was. If you would tell me what cabin you are in, I would really appreciate it. We are looking at a 1A on the Equinox. Thanks!! I am also a newbie at this, and wonder how you get to the threads, or sticky's, about the cabins. Thanks!

Here is a link to the sticky

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=911018

For our upcoming cruise we've chosen 6240 which is a 2C with the triple-sized veranda but will have a lifeboat or davit below leaving us with a partially obstructed view. That cabin is next door to a 1A.

We had this cabin on our last trip, sitting on the Balcony

there is no obstruction, it's only when you stand at

the rail you can see the small craft below, not really an issue.

Great cabin,really ideal for the early morning visit to

Cafe Al Baccio for coffee and Danish👍🏻😎