We're plantinum, friends are not - can we board together in Ft Lauderdale?

metairiegal

Dh and I are platinum, but this will be our friends (another couple) 1st Princess cruise. We will be driving to the port together. Questions about boarding in Fort Lauderdale:

1. Can they get into the priority line outside the terminal with us even though they won't have a priority boarding pass (but we will)?

2. If yes to above, once inside, should we go to the same agent to check-in? Or, should each couple go to a different agent?

3. Can we sit together and board together from the priority area inside the terminal?

My understanding is you can only bring non-priority boarders in the priority line if you are all sharing the same cabin.

The Priority line and seating area in the terminal is only for Platinum guests and their cabinmates, and the Elite and Suite boarding lounge is only for guests and cabinmates in those categories.

Boarding passes that do not indicate priority status are expected to get in the general boarding line and wait in the general boarding section of the terminal. Of course, passengers with Priority boarding passes can join them in that area if they opt to stay together.

Priority boarding is an earned privilege. (And, no, I am not being snobbish.)

Edited by flamomo

Bottom line is there will be people to direct you to the proper line. If there is no crowd, then you can go together. If there is a line and it is important to check in and board together, then you will need to go to the non-priority line with them

Have a nice lunch on shore with your friends and then board later.

Your friends, being first-time Princess cruisers, will avoid being disgusted with the crowded boarding process as there won't be any lines left.

Yes yes I know, some folks just can't wait to get on board and "start their vacation" or they have to "get the most value from their cruise." For us, vacation starts when we leave our driveway and as far as getting value, what's the value of waiting in long lines or sitting in a big hall with other frustrated folks? I'd rather quickly board the ship later being relaxed and happy (did I mention the two-drink lunch ;)) than get on an hour or two earlier being irritated about the wait.

Edited by beg3yrs

Ok, seems like we won't be able to do it, unless we board with them - not in the priority line. Of course, we will ask when we get there.

FYI - We live in the Fort Lauderdale area, so no big travelling prior to the cruise. Just driving to the port and hopping on the ship.

Edited by metairiegal

On our upcoming Alaska cruise we are taking my MIL and niece along to introduce them to cruising.

I am paying for their cruise, and my CC is the one on file. I booked two adjoining cabins, they are 1st time cruisers while we are platinum.

Should we plan to check-in together at the general check-in area or try to join the priority line?:confused:

Have a nice lunch on shore with your friends and then board later.

Your friends, being first-time Princess cruisers, will avoid being disgusted with the crowded boarding process as there won't be any lines left.

Yes yes I know, some folks just can't wait to get on board and "start their vacation" or they have to "get the most value from their cruise." For us, vacation starts when we leave our driveway and as far as getting value, what's the value of waiting in long lines or sitting in a big hall with other frustrated folks? I'd rather quickly board the ship later being relaxed and happy (did I mention the two-drink lunch ;)) than get on an hour or two earlier being irritated about the wait.

That's actually a great idea! Flamomo quoted the rules correctly, but as usual for cruise rules, they are not uniformally enforced so your results may vary depending on where you are. This perk is intended as a reward for frequent cruising, which your friends have not done. Do the right thing and follow this poster's advice--come later, join your friends in the non-priority line, or meet them on the ship. We've been elite for a while, but as our friends start to discover cruising, (now that we are hitting middle age), we find we often board in the non-priority line. But we are on vacation, we are visiting with friends, what's wrong with that? :)

When you can have literally thousands of Platinum and Elite passengers on a cruise, imagine if even some of them brought two or four people each. Princess says you can bring friends in the Priority check-in line but the reality is that makes the lines for those who really do have priority twice as long.

Is it really that important to impress your friends that they can board "first" with you? That's a rhetorical question, btw. Relax. If you want to board early, do so. Otherwise, join your friends in general boarding. I guess I just get tired of all the packed-to-the-gills priority lounges with no where to sit because some feel the need to include their friends in a perk they haven't earned. :(

On our upcoming Alaska cruise we are taking my MIL and niece along to introduce them to cruising.

I am paying for their cruise, and my CC is the one on file. I booked two adjoining cabins, they are 1st time cruisers while we are platinum.

Should we plan to check-in together at the general check-in area or try to join the priority line?:confused:

I'm sure you will have to wait in the general boarding line till you get to check in. I would ask when you get to check in. I'm guessing that since you are using your CC for all 4 people they might let you into priority check in. Of course depending on what time you arrive one of the other lines could be shorter.

We were able to check in with our friends in the priority line (in FLL), however, we were forced to sit in general boarding and wait til our group was able to board. Luckily, they were next door to us. Once our immediate belongings were dropped off, we hightailed it to the open DR for a nice, quiet lunch. We'll finally reach Platinum status once the Feb sailing is over!

That was my understanding also. Have to be sharing a cabin then its fine.

That seems to be the practice in San Pedro. I'm interested to see how my boarding in November will work. Baby granddaughter and I are sharing a cabin, but Mommy and Daddy have one next door. They aren't Platinum yet, so will they stand in the steerage (;)) line while baby and I go get goodies in the Elite lounge? Seriously, it makes no difference to me. I'm happy to sit with them wherever. We are going on a cruise! :D

I was in the general boarding line with my Mom, Sis, and BFF boarding pass in hand. One of the staff came by and told me I could go to the Priority Boarding line. I said no thanks we want to board together. He looked at all the boarding passes (me platinum & mom elite; sis & bff ruby) and told us all to go to the priority line. It was later and no lounge needed as we walked right onboard.

It may have been because the general line was long and the priority really had no line at all. It was probably after 1pm and it was in FLL.

When you can have literally thousands of Platinum and Elite passengers on a cruise, imagine if even some of them brought two or four people each. Princess says you can bring friends in the Priority check-in line but the reality is that makes the lines for those who really do have priority twice as long.

Is it really that important to impress your friends that they can board "first" with you? That's a rhetorical question, btw. Relax. If you want to board early, do so. Otherwise, join your friends in general boarding. I guess I just get tired of all the packed-to-the-gills priority lounges with no where to sit because some feel the need to include their friends in a perk they haven't earned. :(

I am relaxed. I just asked the question because I honestly did not know the answer. I've got it now.

We are Elite and sailed out of San Pedro in February with friends who are Platinum. I believe check-in started at the same time for both Platinum and Elite. DW and I received one Elite boarding pass and our friends received one Platinum boarding pass. Only Elites were allowed in the separate room with snacks and beverages. We went in the Platinum waiting area with them but I stepped out for a minute to check out the Elite area. When I came back, one of the Princess reps gave me a second Elite boarding card and told us to take our friends over to the Elite waiting area. We had not asked for this and it was a nice gesture [emoji5]️ With the two Elite boarding passes we were each able to bring one of our friends into the Elite waiting area and also to have them board with us. If that had not happened, we would have gladly waited with them in the Platinum waiting area and boarded when Platinum boarding was called.

A similar thing happened in FLL just after the new Terminal 2 opened. We were again sailing with friends who were Platinum. They were running late so we told them we would be in the Elite/Suite Lounge but that we would join them in the adjacent Platinum waiting area when they arrived. As we were walking out the door a Princess rep invited them in instead. One of our friends was in a wheelchair and that might have made a difference but it was still a nice gesture.

At least in Terminal 2 the Platinum and Elite/Suite waiting areas are upstairs and general boarding is downstairs so if you are traveling with Blue, Gold or Ruby you will probably end up needing to wait with them downstairs. The time that we boarded, Platinum, Elite and Suite boarded used one ramp and general boarding used a separate ramp. We were in the middle of the Elite/Suite boarding and General boarding had started before we got on the ship.

When we cruised this spring with my parents, we just told them to follow us and I just did not let them out my sight. Of course my parents are 80 and no one questioned why I did not want to be separated from them. They just went through the Platinum line with us. We did not arrive very early, so there were hardly any lines. I think we could have just walked up to any line without a wait. In January we went with some first time cruisers. Again we did not arrive early and they just followed us to Platinum line. I think just arrive later when the lines are much shorter and you should all be able to go together.

We're Platinum and have cruised twice with another couple who wasn't. I asked Princess in advance if they could board with us and was told yes. Our friends simply followed us and we were not questioned. It actually encouraged our friends to want to cruise with Princess again and become Platinum. One couple is Platinum now and the other couple is still working on it.

When we cruised this spring with my parents, we just told them to follow us and I just did not let them out my sight. Of course my parents are 80 and no one questioned why I did not want to be separated from them.

A wise choice by the embarkation staff. Much better to have your elderly loved ones watched by you. Probably a lot easier for the staff as well.

Edited by beg3yrs