We're plantinum, friends are not - can we board together in Ft Lauderdale?

metairiegal

What time is considered "later" when arriving in FLL? 1:00pm? 2:00pm? We don't mind arriving later to avoid longer lines, but we surely don't want to get to the pier too late! (We are only Gold level).

Typically after 1PM and definitely after 2PM.

Here's a thought- both couples arrive at the FLL Terminal together.

Each couple goes to their respective lines,get processed and wait for boarding in the respective waiting areas.

Make plans to meet up on the ship-perhaps the International Café or a similar spot.

Most likely ,you all will be spending much time together on the cruise.

A bit of time being separated at boarding should not impact your enjoyment of the cruise

What time is considered "later" when arriving in FLL? 1:00pm? 2:00pm? We don't mind arriving later to avoid longer lines, but we surely don't want to get to the pier too late! (We are only Gold level).

Typically after 1PM and definitely after 2PM.

And too late, for purposes of a safety margin, is planning less than ninety minutes before sailing.

Here's a thought- both couples arrive at the FLL Terminal together.

Each couple goes to their respective lines,get processed and wait for boarding in the respective waiting areas.

Make plans to meet up on the ship-perhaps the International Café or a similar spot.

Most likely ,you all will be spending much time together on the cruise.

A bit of time being separated at boarding should not impact your enjoyment of the cruise

Nice thought but to unreliable when you have new cruisers trying to work thru the checkin process. I always ask the people directing those checking in if it is OK to go with us. So far they have always said YES so in we go. With us helping our new to cruising friends it gives time for the staff to help others. If the people running things approve it then we will continue to do it.

Nice thought but to unreliable when you have new cruisers trying to work thru the checkin process. I always ask the people directing those checking in if it is OK to go with us. So far they have always said YES so in we go. With us helping our new to cruising friends it gives time for the staff to help others. If the people running things approve it then we will continue to do it.

There's nothing to "work thru [sic]" -- checking in for a cruise isn't exactly complicated. You stand in line, you show your passport, you hand over your credit card, you get handed a cruise card, you follow the crowd up the gangplank. If someone has checked into a hotel, they've pretty much done it. Hundreds of new cruisers manage to negotiate this complex procedure every day, and without crowding up the boarding lounges that have been earned by actual repeat cruisers.

There's nothing to "work thru [sic]" -- checking in for a cruise isn't exactly complicated. You stand in line, you show your passport, you hand over your credit card, you get handed a cruise card, you follow the crowd up the gangplank. If someone has checked into a hotel, they've pretty much done it. Hundreds of new cruisers manage to negotiate this complex procedure every day, and without crowding up the boarding lounges that have been earned by actual repeat cruisers.

I stand by my previous posting. Sorry.

Add in travelling by yourself; a totally new environment and you have both sight and mobility disabilities. It's quite a challenge, and that's why I'm more than a little OCD with my preplanning! A former work colleague is also sailing on the same cruise, but we are arriving separately-he's in Sydney now, and I'm staying with my cousins, so no meeting and embarking together. In a Suite, I'm in a different line to him, even though we're both Blue Card holders. A friend told me to get a Visually Impaired Person badge and wear it to alert people to my disability-the walker is evidence of mobility problems, sight's harder to pick up on. Will be able to action that in Adelaide before the cruise. S., my friend, has already asked for an extra day off so he can stay at the same hotel overnight and assist me in negotiating Tullamarine Airport-it's over 35 years since I last flew via Melbourne, so expecting lots of changes. I have discounted Taxi vouchers due to mobility issues, so he can travel with me to the airport. I should manage Check In ok by myself, have done it travelling to my State capital so confident, it's finding my way in the terminal/s that is the big challenge. He's trying to arrange to take a later flight back to Sydney, so he can be around to "help" me until I need to go to the aircraft for boarding. I'll have assistance then, and the airline staff are very experienced in managing disabled passengers safely-had 2 on I flight I was on, the other lady was in a wheelchair, so she was pushed out to the aircraft and I walked with her and the staff member warning him, "I'm not good on directions so watch me like a hawk please." He laughed and told me to, "Stay within the painted lines Miss, and you won't be in any danger." I've had the same crew several times, and we have the routine down pat now! Sydney is arrive; collect luggage; find a seat and text my cousin where to find me; then wait patiently until she arrives. Am going to check about what time to book the flight, she'll know what time she can meet me.

On our upcoming Alaska cruise we are taking my MIL and niece along to introduce them to cruising.

I am paying for their cruise, and my CC is the one on file. I booked two adjoining cabins, they are 1st time cruisers while we are platinum.

Should we plan to check-in together at the general check-in area or try to join the priority line?:confused:

If you're cruising out of Seattle, then you may join them in the general check-in if you'd like. But, no, they will not be able to join you in the Priority line. The pier is small and has limited space. However, if you arrive at the pier around 2:30, the lines are usually all gone and check-in is quickly accomplished.

Tom

The wording of the Platinum ad thus also Elite benefit:

Preferred Check-In

When you arrive at the port, don’t wait in line. You, along with your family or guests that are traveling with you in the same stateroom will be invited to use the Preferred Check-In desk to help expedite your embarkation.

Preferred Check-In

When you arrive at the port, don’t wait in line. You, along with your family or guests that are traveling with you in the same stateroom will be invited to use the Preferred Check-In desk to help expedite your embarkation.

Thanks! That is what I needed to know.

Thanks! That is what I needed to know.

If you read the wording on the benefit, you'll see that it allows your friends/family to check in with you. It says nothing about boarding with you. My experience in traveling with non status friends is that, at the check in desk we can bring them through the express line but they will be given general boarding cards with a number on them and we'll be given boarding cards with elite written on them. In FLL, there are often separate areas, one for elite/suite another for platinum and one for general boarding. One of the employees stands at the door to the elite lounge and stops anyone without an elite card, so I imagine the same thing happens in the platinum waiting area. You then board in that same order.

If you wish to usher your friends through check in and boarding, you can take them through the express check in but I'd recommend waiting and boarding with them in their boarding group as they likely won't be allowed in your waiting area, despite the few exceptions mentioned here that state otherwise. Each boarding day is different depending on the number of elite and platinum passengers. I have personally had platinum friends not be allowed with us in the elite waiting area due to the high numbers of elites on that cruise. So we waited with them in the platinum area and boarded when they were called.

If you read the wording on the benefit, you'll see that it allows your friends/family to check in with you. It says nothing about boarding with you. My experience in traveling with non status friends is that, at the check in desk we can bring them through the express line but they will be given general boarding cards with a number on them and we'll be given boarding cards with elite written on them. In FLL, there are often separate areas, one for elite/suite another for platinum and one for general boarding. One of the employees stands at the door to the elite lounge and stops anyone without an elite card, so I imagine the same thing happens in the platinum waiting area. You then board in that same order.

If you wish to usher your friends through check in and boarding, you can take them through the express check in but I'd recommend waiting and boarding with them in their boarding group as they likely won't be allowed in your waiting area, despite the few exceptions mentioned here that state otherwise. Each boarding day is different depending on the number of elite and platinum passengers. I have personally had platinum friends not be allowed with us in the elite waiting area due to the high numbers of elites on that cruise. So we waited with them in the platinum area and boarded when they were called.

Actually, if you read the statement you'll see that it says that those "that are traveling with you in the same stateroom." It says nothing about those who are not in the same stateroom!

Tom

Preferred Check-In

Preferred checkin does not mean preferred boarding. Non priority passengers are directed to the non-priority lounge after checkin

As others have posted, the benefit is "You, along with your family or guests that are traveling with you in the same stateroom will be invited to use the Preferred Check-In desk to help expedite your embarkation." Others in the same cabin can check-in and board with a Platinum or Elite member. This does not extend to family or guests in other cabins.

• 3 weeks later...
When you can have literally thousands of Platinum and Elite passengers on a cruise, imagine if even some of them brought two or four people each. Princess says you can bring friends in the Priority check-in line but the reality is that makes the lines for those who really do have priority twice as long.

Is it really that important to impress your friends that they can board "first" with you? That's a rhetorical question, btw. Relax. If you want to board early, do so. Otherwise, join your friends in general boarding. I guess I just get tired of all the packed-to-the-gills priority lounges with no where to sit because some feel the need to include their friends in a perk they haven't earned. :(

OP here. Turns out, it won't be an issue after all. Friends can't make the trip with us.

Hope you have a great cruise and your friends enjoy their first cruise.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

In our experience in Ft Lauderdale, checking in was not an issue for the non-platinum folks in our group who tagged along in the Priority line with us, but the Priority boarding and waiting in the lounge was not allowed.

They enforced the policy that non-platinum had to be in the same cabin as a platinum guest to get the priority boarding card and entrance to the lounge, so we waited in the general boarding lounge with them after checking in.

IMHO this was an OK compromise.

On our upcoming Alaska cruise we are taking my MIL and niece along to introduce them to cruising.

I am paying for their cruise, and my CC is the one on file. I booked two adjoining cabins, they are 1st time cruisers while we are platinum.

Should we plan to check-in together at the general check-in area or try to join the priority line?:confused:

There are no "adjoining" staterooms on the Ruby.

Do you mean they are next to each other?