Is it risky to take Maiden voyage?

We are booked on Ovation of the Seas B2B from Barcelona to Singapore.

We embark on day 19 of her maiden voyage...(if it is still called "maiden" at that point...)

We would like some insights on what to expect with a new ship and crew for those of you who have experience. Does RCI prepare its new crew well?

I may be a bit more concerned because this is the first time we are bringing guests with us. The group is fairly easy going, and we will just be glad to be together. but wondered if there is a steep learning curve early on in the sailing period.

I'm even a bit nervous that something can go wrong during the build and the cruise could be delayed. We have traveled and lived long enough to know anything can happen! I had a cruise canceled on me 36 hours before departure and had to jump on short notice to a different plan, so I'm looking for a back up cruise just in case.

I think it is exciting to be part of something rather new, although this will by far be the biggest ship I've ever sailed. We tend to go smaller and smaller with each booking, so this bigger ship will hopefully be as nice for the older ones of us. I know the younger ones will have a blast.

Anyway, thanks for any insights. I know a ship is a bit like a car, and needs a breaking in period. I guess I started worrying when I saw the Viking cruise stuck in Tallin, Estonia on her maiden voyage! It was so high tech it took a complicated part to get her going again.

Kmcspoon

So far, only on the Titanic
'

Okay, very funny. But I did think of that ship. When my older son was looking at the pictures of it online, he started to make some sort of comment about "nothing could sink that ship" but I hopefully stopped him in time!:eek:

I love cruising. Even on our last cruise, when some sort of large living creature got stuck on the front of the cruise ship, and the captain stopped ship completely for an hour or so to let it drop or swim away. We were at the half way point on a transatlantic at about 10 p.m. And, very unusual for me, I didn't even worry! I loved the stillness...the stars...everything.

But was thankful for no iceburgs!

Generally, when/if there are problems that actually affect the passengers, it's on the first voyage(s) of a new class, not a new ship. Ovulation, er, Ovation of the Seas is the third in its class.

I wouldn't worry about it.

:)

We were booked on the first cruise of the Oosterdam (HAL), but the building was delayed. We were very disapponted especially since they substituted an old ship that should have been retired and was finally retired 2 years later. The ship actually caught on fire while we were docked in Arhaus and we had to evacuate and be bussed to our next port. Luckily, Arhaus was the next to last port of call for that 12 day Baltic cruise. Anyway, that cured us from ever booking another inaugural cruise. We wait until they get the bugs worked out before we sail a new ship and we never sail on very old ships.

Ovulation, er, Ovation of the Seas is the third in its class.

LOL. I had to look back at my post to be sure I didn't type that name. My autotype function tries to suggest different variants of that, to my embarassment!:o

We were booked on the first cruise of the Oosterdam (HAL), but the building was delayed. We were very disapponted especially since they substituted an old ship that should have been retired and was finally retired 2 years later. The ship actually caught on fire while we were docked in Arhaus and we had to evacuate and be bussed to our next port. Luckily, Arhaus was the next to last port of call for that 12 day Baltic cruise. Anyway, that cured us from ever booking another inaugural cruise. We wait until they get the bugs worked out before we sail a new ship and we never sail on very old ships.

We got tossed off a sailing a few weeks after a scheduled drydock. I'll never book a ship fresh out of dry dock again.

Your post makes me wonder...what would they do if the build is delayed? Substitute a ship? How could they, one of this size?

I truly am not trying to borrow trouble. I realize there are no guarantees.

It is a unique experience and an unique itinerary. However, it helps to know as much as I can from others who have experience.

Thanks for the input!

We got tossed off a sailing a few weeks after a scheduled drydock. I'll never book a ship fresh out of dry dock again.

Your post makes me wonder...what would they do if the build is delayed? Substitute a ship? How could they, one of this size?

I truly am not trying to borrow trouble. I realize there are no guarantees.

It is a unique experience and an unique itinerary. However, it helps to know as much as I can from others who have experience.

Thanks for the input!

So far, RC ships are being finished EARLY, not late.

i wasn't on Legends first run but one of the first few and they still had French yard workers sorting out problems with all sorts of things, including the automatic doors. People had to keep forcing them open when they were locked in or out.

'

Okay, very funny. But I did think of that ship. When my older son was looking at the pictures of it online, he started to make some sort of comment about "nothing could sink that ship" but I hopefully stopped him in time!:eek:

I love cruising. Even on our last cruise, when some sort of large living creature got stuck on the front of the cruise ship, and the captain stopped ship completely for an hour or so to let it drop or swim away. We were at the half way point on a transatlantic at about 10 p.m. And, very unusual for me, I didn't even worry! I loved the stillness...the stars...everything.

But was thankful for no iceburgs!

Princess TA this year?

Throughout history many different ships, built in different yards, sailing for different lines have had delays or serious issues when put into service. The Titanic of course was a huge disaster but many other maiden voyages have had their share of issues. Personally I would not get on any new ship regardless of linen ship yard, or if it is first in its class or 20th, for 6 months after its first sailing. Let them work the problems out with other people's money first. Just my opinion on the subject

To travel issues. Yes there could be some small and bigger issues, but that can happen on any cruise. Travel anywhere is not rocket science so no matter how you travel, where you travel, and how much money you paid, there can be travel issues.

We consider ourselves world travelers and realize the worst problems might happen and most of the time we get the best travel experience.

I'm trying to find out what happened. I could only see they had a stop at Azores while something was sorted out.

Was it a mechanical problem?

No, it was a medical evacuation.

Biker, who had a wonderful time on the Quantum maiden TA.

We are booked on Ovation of the Seas B2B from Barcelona to Singapore.

We embark on day 19 of her maiden voyage...(if it is still called "maiden" at that point...)

We would like some insights on what to expect with a new ship and crew for those of you who have experience. Does RCI prepare its new crew well?

I may be a bit more concerned because this is the first time we are bringing guests with us. The group is fairly easy going, and we will just be glad to be together. but wondered if there is a steep learning curve early on in the sailing period.

Instead of worrying about the crew or the ship, think of all the pirates out there trying to get you once you leave Dubai.:cool:

Instead of worrying about the crew or the ship, think of all the pirates out there trying to get you once you leave Dubai.:cool:

Don't worry, I already have. Seriously. I can tell you a couple of different scenarios I've lived out in my head about that, but you don't want to hear it any more than the rest of my family. Razor wire, terrorist attack drills...:eek:

I'm traveling with a bunch of risk takers, while in this body beats the heart of a wimp!

I agree with the posts saying "let them work out their kinks with other peoples money"

Unless you are just super excited about being a on "the maiden voyage" of something....

For me.... as much as a maiden voyage sounds fun.

I would rather wait a month or two until they had made sure things were sorted out....