First time on Norwegian

WouldBeCruiser

We have cruised previously on HAL and Carnival. This is our first time on Norwegian. Some have suggested that we will find Norwegian very different, in the quality and services provided. But no-one is specific. I have been on-line, but already found that the NCL website is not as informative as I would like.

Will I still be able to get my early morning coffee delivered to my cabin?

We are doing the Hawaii circle tour. Pride of America. We are in port everyday - no sea days. will there still be any formal nights in the dining room?

Can any of you experience cruisers can answer my questions please.

Have you tried the NCL forum here?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

At the top there are topics listed by the name of the ship.

Yes, you can order coffee every morning via Room Service.

There are no formal nights on NCL. There is a "dress up or not night" where some people do dress up, usually the Captain is available for photos that night. OTH you can dress up every night if you want to. Hawaii in general is already very casual and for the guys dressing in a polo shirt/docker pants with a jacket is over doing it.

Edited by Philob

While taste is individual, I think you might find limiting yourself to NCL forums could result in hearing largely from fans of NCL.

NCL is different; you will not find formal nights (although the line says you can dress up if you want to). You will find the service different from that on HAL and Carnival - especially on the Hawaii itinerary, where the ship is manned in accordance with US labor laws.

I would suggest you look at the cruise reviews for Pride of America, and not just NCL forums.

Regarding the morning coffee - just fill out the form each night for the complimentary coffee. The free room service is from 7am to 10am. Otherwise, you're paying $7.95 plus 18% tips for room service any other than time or walking to the buffet for free.

For the Formal nights - there is no formal night, you can dress up or down as much as you like, no one will bat an eye. There's not even a set assigned dining schedule - so if you want something resembling that, you have to make reservations before or during the trip. Otherwise, go whenever you want, that's what Freestyle (Anytime dining on other ships) is.

I haven't done HAL but I have done Carnival - it pretty much the same service except you may not get the same waiter(s)/server(s) each night - that can seen as plus or minus side of Freestyle dining.

Hope this info helps and have a great trip!!

We have cruised previously on HAL and Carnival. This is our first time on Norwegian. Some have suggested that we will find Norwegian very different, in the quality and services provided. But no-one is specific. I have been on-line, but already found that the NCL website is not as informative as I would like.

We are doing the Hawaii circle tour. Pride of America. We are in port everyday - no sea days. will there still be any formal nights in the dining room?

Yes, you can still get free morning coffee delivered to your cabin on NCL.

NCL does not have any formal nights.

You can ask NCL questions on the NCL forum and they will be answered.

I recently sailed Norwegian it was my first cruise, so I cannot compare it to anything. The service and food was exceptional. Dressing up for dinner was optional. I sailed with my 12 and 2 year old there were days when they were "boared" my youngest was too young for the kids club and my son who turned 12 on the cruise was the oldest in his age group, he tall for his age and was shy about being grouped with the "little Kids". There were a few rainy days, and Norwegian didn't seem to have a Plan B other than board games and bingo, which you had to pay to play.

As this was my first cruise I thought we would be swept off our feet in awsomeness, that was not the case. From the moment I stepped on Board I felt pressured to purchase things.

The only thing I really liked was the fact that the ship was not crowded or rowdy. My kids and I found plenty of quiet space on the deck to watch the sun set.

Last year we sailed CCL, RCCL and NCL. Love all three and will sail any of them depending on price. (I'm cheap.)

We have been on Carnival 11 times and are kind of burned out. They need new production shows and need to get the live bands back. We're really tired of crappyokie and Comedy clubs.

Royal Caribbean was really nice with good food and the shows were decent. I was never a fan of Disco, but the Disco Party that they had on the Promenade Deck was a hoot.

Norwegian was a pleasant surprise. The servings were small in the MDR and we don't care for Anytime Dining because it isn't anytime, but we never went away hungry. The big thumbs up is for the shows. They were, by far, the best that we have seen in 15 cruises. The dress code is fairly relaxed. You dress as formal or as informal as you please short of bikinis in the MDR.

My best advise is to go with an open mind and have a good time. Then you can formulate your own opinion.

Edited by clackey

NCL charges for a wide variety of things that all of the other cruise lines don't charge for. It is almost astounding, in fact.

Plus, unless you go to the pay-extra restaurants, you won't get lobster or shrimp cocktail, which all of the cruise lines provide without an extra charge.

The only good thing about NCL is no formal nights.

Anytime dining is not "any time." It is when a table is ready, which sometimes is 45 minutes after you show up.

BTW: In general, if the portions are small, just order 2, or 3, or 4. You are not limited to just one main course serving, even on NCL.

I just returned from a NCL cruise on Dawn. I never would have expected I would sail them after sailing HAL over 80 cruises but there were circumstances which made it my choice for this cruise.

To sum up, the ship and her crew exceeded my expectations by a lot.

Yes, you can have your room service coffee delivered every morning. I had a fabulous coffee maker in my suite and they provided the coffee style of my choice.

I wrote a lengthy thread on the HAL board with comments and comparisons to HAL. If you wish to read it, here is a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2244691

Warning...... it's long. :o

NCL charges for a wide variety of things that all of the other cruise lines don't charge for. It is almost astounding, in fact.

Plus, unless you go to the pay-extra restaurants, you won't get lobster or shrimp cocktail, which all of the cruise lines provide without an extra charge.

The only good thing about NCL is no formal nights.

Anytime dining is not "any time." It is when a table is ready, which sometimes is 45 minutes after you show up.

BTW: In general, if the portions are small, just order 2, or 3, or 4. You are not limited to just one main course serving, even on NCL.

This was absolutely not my experience. We dined when and where we wished and were seated promptly every evening.

Portions were not small to my taste and no one ever accused me of being a tiny eater. :D

I understand we all have an experience unique to ourselves and same ship, same cruise, one can have a great cruise and someone else not.

This was absolutely not my experience. We dined when and where we wished and were seated promptly every evening.

Portions were not small to my taste and no one ever accused me of being a tiny eater. :D

I understand we all have an experience unique to ourselves and same ship, same cruise, one can have a great cruise and someone else not.

This has been my experience as well.

We were on the POA this past March and enjoyed her very much. NCL does an excellent job with the Hawaiian cruise. The ship is lively and has the best entertainment we have had on any of our cruises. The lack of formal nights totally makes sense. After all, you're in Hawaii, can't get any less formal than that. My only complaint was the food quality in the MDR. I didn't think it was very good but of course that's subjective. On the other hand, the specialty restaurants were all excellent, especially Cagney's (steak) and Bistro (french). Aloha!

Actually, many ships are now offering alternative restaurants that carry an upcharge. HAL has two such restaurants on their ships (three on their Signature Class Ships) and their new build will have more.

There is no requirement to dine there and food is fine in MDR and buffet.

Same for NCL. If you don't wish to spend a bit extra for the great variety of dining places, then don't.

In my case, my friends and I happened by coincidence to be booking while they had a great offer. We had Unlimited Beverage and Unlimited Dining Plans and paid nothing extra for all the restaurants though we chose to add tips above the automatic gratuities charge to all onboard accounts. It was our choice to thank the excellent service we received. Our Auto tips were also part of our booking benefit package. :)

To say extra fees for a dozen or so things is not exactly accurate. Most of the things you likely mean are optional. Don't pay if you don't wish.

Hawaii by nature is informal. That being said, their formal wear is nothing but spectacular... However, you won't find a tie or jacket on any of them. With 5 long land trips to Hawaii, and dinner and many fine restaurants I've never seen a tie or jacket worn.

If you don't mind paying extra fees for a dozen or so things the other cruise lines include, then NCL is definitely your choice.

This is rubbish. List me twelve things that NCL charge for, that other main stream cruise lines do not.

Your starter for one:

Room Service (except for morning coffee).

I await the other eleven with interest.:D

Edited by SteveH2508

This is rubbish. List me twelve things that NCL charge for, that other main stream cruise lines do not.

Your starter for one:

Aww... You Brits - Always to the point! :eek:

But - I agree. :D

Now to see your humour (humor for US people) which nobody other than us Canucks, Ozys, and Kiwis totally understand.:rolleyes:

Aww... You Brits - Always to the point! :eek:

But - I agree. :D

Now to see your humour (humor for US people) which nobody other than us Canucks, Ozys, and Kiwis totally understand.:rolleyes:

I'm afraid my British Squaddie humour keeps getting modded on these forums - I am trying to tone it down a bit - not always successfully:D.

Your starter for one:

To be more correct.......

no charge for room service 24/7 if in a suite.

Hi. We have cruised Carnival and many others, but not HAL. Our first Norwegian cruise was in 2009 and I have been back many times. Even from our first NCL cruise, I can't say I found Norwegian all that different!

I have found it best to try out various cruise lines to form my own opinion. And I have not had a bad cruise yet! My suggestion is to try it out to see for yourself.

You can "dress up or not" as NCL calls it, and there are plenty of photo opps with nice backgrounds pretty much every night--which I love. You will still pay extra for the same things you do on other cruise lines, e.g. photos, drinks (unless you use NCL's promo to get the ultimate beverage package), souvenirs, bingo, etc. There are various other upcharge things on NCL like Carlo's cake, and they have more variety of upcharge restaurants, however, we usually are just fine with the included restaurant options. So our final bill on NCL is pretty much the same as any other cruise.

Edited by mizlorinj

We like NCL, but also cruise RCCL, Princess, HAL, Celebrity, and Carnival. We've even done a river cruise on Uniworld. The primary difference is the ability to go to different restaurants every night, if you want to, and not being seated with strangers in the MDR. My husband and I started cruising on the NCL Jade in the Med and at first, we loved the idea of not having to bring formalwear. Once we were on our cruise we were thrilled not to have to dress up because we were in port on tours all day long nearly every day and when we got back onboard the ship, we were tired and just wanted to be comfortable, have a nice dinner and hit the sack. It was so wonderful not to have to dress up ever!

There will be 2 dress up or not nights. Many people do dress up and the photographers will be available with backdrops to take portraits if that is what you want to do or you can dress down. Typically I just wear a maxi dress on those nights and we're not into all the photography stuff, so we skip that. That's what's really great about an NCL cruise - you can experience it however YOU want to experience it. You are not forced to do anything at any time. You just do what you want to you. You CAN make dining reservations on NCL for the specialty restaurants if you want or not. NCL has been offering a lot of all inclusive packages - especially dining packages, so reservations for specialty restaurants are a good idea - especially Teppanyaki, if you plan to eat there as it is small on this ship. I don't know who could think the portions are tiny in any of the venues. I struggled to eat even 1/2 of what was provided. I believe the smallest steak in the steakhouse was an 8oz fillet mignon, which is twice the size of a normal portion for a female diner. The other steaks were massive. The buffet is very extensive in terms of offerings. The food in the MDR is average to very good depending on what you get. I loved their curry dishes best!

I think you will like the staterooms on this ship - they are very brightly decorated in tropical colors and there is plenty of storage.

There are some internet trolls on here who make up stuff about NCL that is not true. They claim that NCL nickel and dimes you because they charge for stuff like soda pop, alcoholic beverages and specialty coffee - just like other cruise lines do. Some people pitch fits about different policies that NCL is trying. One is the $7.95 service fee for each room service order unless you are in a suite. This really doesn't affect us because we almost never order room service. So, just ignore those people. For the vast majority, NCL is a great cruise line.

In 2008, after five sailings on NCL, I had given up on them because of dissatisfaction with constant selling, unimpressive service, below par food and their annoying failure to live up to the "anytime" part of anytime dining: long waits if not eating very early or very late.

Your experience on NCL tempts me to give them another try.