Enough time?

Sherry H

Arriving in Fort Lauderdale on the Nieuw Amsterdam at 7:00 AM. We will be taking our own luggage off. Flight leaves at 11:30 AM. What do you think?

All flights after that are considerably more expensive.

Would also be interested to know if anyone did miss their flight due to ship arriving late, imigration problems, etc..............what experience did you have with your airline?

Perhaps you can tell......I'm a "worry wart"

If you look on the Florida Departure board, where this topic is discussed daily, you will see you will be fine. Just carry off your bags, or if in a suite, be in the first group, and grab a cab. Have done it a couple of times, and am planning on it for our next cruise.

If you look on the Florida Departure board, where this topic is discussed daily, you will see you will be fine. Just carry off your bags, or if in a suite, be in the first group, and grab a cab. Have done it a couple of times, and am planning on it for our next cruise.

I would do it IF AND ONLY IF you can do self-disembarkation first thing. The last time I came through Fort Lauderdale, customs was delayed and even though my group was supposed be off the ship around 8:45, it was actually closer to 10 when we finally got off. My flight was at 2:30, so I had no problems, but I wouldn't risk such a tight time for the flights.

According to the local newspaper, they're allegedly adding extra ICE agents to Port Everglades this season. You *should* be able to make an 11:30 flight, but the Nieuw Amsterdam has a weekend schedule, so making that flight might be a little nerve wracking. Make sure you take a cab, as the airport is only a few minutes away from the port. Your delays, if any, will be courtesy of ICE and the TSA.

In February I came off the ship in Lauderdale.... not in a rush as I was flying out following day. Hotel booked over at Sawgrass. I came through the terminal at 9am.... waiting to be near the end. It took until about 90 minutes through Customs. A long time... not worried as I ws not in a rush.

Joined into the taxi line. I thought a few minutes to wait for the next taxi. Then I saw the line.... from around the building.... over and then on, and on, and on, and ON! We were a single line with THREE ships alongside! It was going to take two or three hours.

A few were trying to find a better way to get to the airport as they were late. I saw people were being called to come to a fleet on mini bus trying to get people away from the area. I immediately came out and shouted.... "AIRPORT!" At least six people in the van. So... I figured if I got to the airport I was at least on the way to Sawgrass. It took another hour to get to Lauderdale airport at there at Noon.

The reason? There was a cycle race ALL MORNING! Just some cyclists wanted to race there must have at least 20,000 people being completely inconvenienced! :mad:

That was not the end. As soon as I came into the airport I caught a taxi. Easy. Should have been an easy 15 minutes to Sawgrass. The IDIOT driver.... I even told him where to go and how to go.... turned off too late.... and we could not get off the highway.... more blocks and the race was still on. Unable to turn we had to follow and went all again over to the cruise port and circle again and back through the airport AGAIN.... then finally to Sawgrass. The fare was like $150 and in the hotel at 2.30afternoon.

So.... if you think it is an easy thing to go early and catch an early flight.... be warned! Never any guarantee. Good luck!

Edited by Topsham

Are the later flights more expensive than possibly having to stay overnight?

You could book a later flight and try to be at the airport in time for standby on the early one.

Edited by jtl513

In February I came off the ship in Lauderdale.... not in a rush as I was flying out following day. Hotel booked over at Sawgrass. I came through the terminal at 9am.... waiting to be near the end. It took until about 90 minutes through Customs. A long time... not worried as I ws not in a rush.

Joined into the taxi line. I thought a few minutes to wait for the next taxi. Then I saw the line.... from around the building.... over and then on, and on, and on, and ON! We were a single line with THREE ships alongside! It was going to take two or three hours.

A few were trying to find a better way to get to the airport as they were late. I saw people were being called to come to a fleet on mini bus trying to get people away from the area. I immediately came out and shouted.... "AIRPORT!" At least six people in the van. So... I figured if I got to the airport I was at least on the way to Sawgrass. It took another hour to get to Lauderdale airport at there at Noon.

The reason? There was a cycle race ALL MORNING! Just some cyclists wanted to race there must have at least 20,000 people being completely inconvenienced! :mad:

That was not the end. As soon as I came into the airport I caught a taxi. Easy. Should have been an easy 15 minutes to Sawgrass. The IDIOT driver.... I even told him where to go and how to go.... turned off too late.... and we could not get off the highway.... more blocks and the race was still on. Unable to turn we had to follow and went all again over to the cruise port and circle again and back through the airport AGAIN.... then finally to Sawgrass. The fare was like $150 and in the hotel at 2.30afternoon.

So.... if you think it is an easy thing to go early and catch an early flight.... be warned! Never any guarantee. Good luck!

I wonder if that was the same day we boarded the Regal Princess (Feb 8)? There was a lot of road closures in Ft. Lauderdale (even parts of I595 IIRC). We took early car service to the port and got through OK and it looked like they were starting to close streets off behind us. Others complained of delays getting to the port.

Back in 2010 we were boarding the Eurodam that was delayed getting in due to an anchor issue at Half Moon Cay the previous day; the ship docked around 12:30 PM. So, yes, there is always the possibility for a ship to arrive late and that day even people with later flights must have been inconvenienced.

I would do it IF AND ONLY IF you can do self-disembarkation first thing. The last time I came through Fort Lauderdale, customs was delayed and even though my group was supposed be off the ship around 8:45, it was actually closer to 10 when we finally got off. My flight was at 2:30, so I had no problems, but I wouldn't risk such a tight time for the flights.

This was about the same issue with us on The Nieuw! Came back in March we were to be the first group off, and a lot of delays! People missed flights due to a problem with immergration. Our time 7:45 did not get off till 8:50 and then such a long line that took forever getting into the terminal! Customs the whole bit! Nerve racking!!while in line waiting my husband had to ca, and change flights for us! Such a headache! We will never do that again. We will spend the night and leave the next day.

Come to find out they were involved with DEA in regards to drugs!!! So I am sure this was an isolated incident but we will stay over nite!

POA1 lives there and I would learn from his amount of wealth and knowledge, and of course his WINES!!😀

Denise :)

Sorry.......I was looking at another cruise. We will be on the Oosterdam arriving in port Fri. Jan. 29th. at 7:00 AM

Not only are the flights after 12:00 PM a lot more but the Sat. flights are even worse.

We have always stayed over until the next day but this trip the hotel rates for Friday night are as high as I have ever seen them.

Bruce.......thanks for the tip on the Florida departure board.

Have made an 11:30 flight but we were one of only a few small ships in port that day: 1) got off with the 1st group of people carrying their luggage off (ok, we cheated) so our luggage was easy to find along with the huge bows, 2) breezed thru customs and immigration, 3) grabbed a cab to the airport, 4) printed our boarding passes on the ship (well worth the small fee), 5) checked our bags at the curb, 6) had upgraded to 1st class so the TSA line was much shorter for this perk.

The bicycle road race is one day each year, usually the weekend before Valentine's Day. Other than that one day, you probably won't experience any road closures between Port Everglades and the airport - especially now that the construction has been completed.

Sorry.......I was looking at another cruise. We will be on the Oosterdam arriving in port Fri. Jan. 29th. at 7:00 AM

You'll be in pretty good shape on a Friday. I thought you were on a weekend arrival. As long as your ship arrives on time, you should be fine.

I don't think you will have any problem at all. I've always been at FLL within an hour of first embarkation call. Ask for expedited disembarkation and just get off as soon as the ship clears if you are nervous, but be aware you'll probably be waiting at FLL for a while (which I realize is better than being nervous on the ship or worse, being in the crush of people disembarking and going through customs. Generally if you are in the first group to disembark it will go quite quickly. As someone already pointed out, FLL is only a few minutes drive from the ship. Relax and enjoy your cruise. You'll make the flight with no problem. (I believe in the power of positive thinking!)

Have made an 11:30 flight but we were one of only a few small ships in port that day: 1) got off with the 1st group of people carrying their luggage off (ok, we cheated) so our luggage was easy to find along with the huge bows, 2) breezed thru customs and immigration, 3) grabbed a cab to the airport, 4) printed our boarding passes on the ship (well worth the small fee), 5) checked our bags at the curb, 6) had upgraded to 1st class so the TSA line was much shorter for this perk.

I really do not recommend doing this. It makes it much harder for everyone else. No-one is really that special and everyone on the ship has places to get to when they get off.

Cheating the system can really mess it up for everyone in later groups. I have experienced disembarkation come to a complete halt because people were trying to cheat the system this way. It is really selfish and self-centered.

If you need to be off early, then take self-disembarkation. If you cannot handle your luggage alone, book later flights.

Arriving in Fort Lauderdale on the Nieuw Amsterdam at 7:00 AM. We will be taking our own luggage off. Flight leaves at 11:30 AM. What do you think?

All flights after that are considerably more expensive.

Would also be interested to know if anyone did miss their flight due to ship arriving late, imigration problems, etc..............what experience did you have with your airline?

Perhaps you can tell......I'm a "worry wart"

There is a reason the flights after 11:30 cost more money. So many cruisers unloading from all the ships want the security of some extra time to avoid stress. Paying more money for your flight allows more wiggle room. If you miss a flight these days, it is very hard to get a seat on the next flight as most planes go out full these days.

That being said, it is most usual you can make that flight but know it is not risk free.

We were once on Eurodam and arrived back to Port Everglades about 12 noon. Needless to say, lots of miss flights. We always stay overnight post cruise so we don't worry about a late arrival.

Check how many ships are disembarking the morning you are due to leave the ship. That is a clue as to how busy the airport will be, how long security lines will be and possibly how stretched thin CBP Officials will be clearing all the arriving cruisers.

Edited by sail7seas

We have made 11AM flights out of Ft. Lauderdale but all things have to go right. Ship arrives at 7AM , you self-disembark with your luggage in tow, there are enough Immigration Agents (and that is the biggest issue), and you get a taxi right away (which is usually the case), and there are not a lot of ships in that day. We have been at the gate by 8:30 AM when all these things fall into place and the TSA lines have been short. Having TSA Pre-Check or Global Entry also makes a big difference.

I really do not recommend doing this. It makes it much harder for everyone else. No-one is really that special and everyone on the ship has places to get to when they get off.

Cheating the system can really mess it up for everyone in later groups. I have experienced disembarkation come to a complete halt because people were trying to cheat the system this way. It is really selfish and self-centered.

If you need to be off early, then take self-disembarkation. If you cannot handle your luggage alone, book later flights.

We did have permission from the hotel director to get off with the 1st group.

I don't for a minute doubt what you say but wonder if he gave you permission why he didn't give you the proper tags and there would be no question?

I don't for a minute doubt what you say but wonder if he gave you permission why he didn't give you the proper tags and there would be no question?

I tend to agree that cheating the system is unfair, however the person who did this has priority disembarkation as a 5 star Mariner..

If they requested it, wouldn't HAL have automatically granted it?:confused:

I'm sure that any crew scanning them off would not question them when they see the 5 stars..

Edited by serendipity1499