Murano now $65. per person?

OkanaganRon

Fortunately, from my experiences on two different Celebrity Solstice cruises, I have never had that problem in either the MDR or the Speciality dining places from ordering a couple of different starter items. Maybe they awarded me more "pity".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 183,663 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I have also ordered a couple of appetizers on different occasions and never had so much as a glance. In fact, when I ask if it is ok, I have always been met with "Why not??" lol If I were told I can no longer get 2 apps on the rare occasion that I do, I'd just suck it up but not return.

I have also ordered a couple of appetizers on different occasions and never had so much as a glance. In fact, when I ask if it is ok, I have always been met with "Why not??" lol If I were told I can no longer get 2 apps on the rare occasion that I do, I'd just suck it up but not return.

I have never been refused more food on any ship, more often than not, they bring out too much. :eek:

e.g. I discuss with my wife that I cannot decide between two meals (appertisers or entrees), I order one of them and the waiter brings both anyway.

Great to hear that your experiences with such ordering "flexibility" matches what had worked for us on our two Celebrity Solstice cruises. Wonderful to hear. Go for "IT" when on such cruises. That's part of the fun!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 116,315 views for this posting.

I'm from Boston so I have access to the best lobsters in the world on a daily basis. I agree, Murano's lobster is not "real" lobster in the sense of what I can go out my door and get which originates in Maine and is night and day even to Canadian lobster let alone Caribbean. But, I still think the overall dish is good and there are some truly phenomenal menu choices at Murano. It's our favorite specialty and really the only one I personally think is worth $50 each. I would challenge anyone to go to a decent restaurant, order what you can get at Murano's and have a bill come in under $50. Now, if someone feels it isn't worth it because of near equitable quality in the included dining room, I'd disagree, but understand. I just don't understand how $50 can be overpriced for a meal there when I find it hard to believe you could get the same at a restaurant in our hometown for that price.

2 reasons: 1) You don't pay a $2000-10,000 admission charge (your cruise fare) to get into your local restaurant and 2) You don't throw away a perfectly acceptable free meal (what you would have had in the MDR) when you eat at your local restaurant.

So no, I don't think Murano is worth $100 extra for 2 and it is why we only dine in any Celebrity Specialty when the price is much, much better.

I'm from Boston so I have access to the best lobsters in the world on a daily basis. I agree, Murano's lobster is not "real" lobster in the sense of what I can go out my door and get which originates in Maine and is night and day even to Canadian lobster let alone Caribbean.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but we all know that a Canadian lobster beats the pants off those from Maine, :D

Everyone has their own tastes and preferences as to what they want to spend their money on. :D

But using that logic, Why cruise when you already have a perfectly suitable paid for accommodation and meals at home and you can watch travel documentaries to see far off places.:confused:

I don't think it's out of line....if you choose to go to a specialty restaurant the food is still in the MDR even if you are not.....and 100.00 for a couple out at a nice restaurant is very normal...maybe even on the inexpensive side depending where you live..

Agree and this is in addition to what you have already paid in your cruise fare.

Your lobster knows you are from Australia and doesnt want to be over dressed

Remember to try W.A Crayfish when you are Down Under - beats the pants off the Maine Offering !lol :D

Edited by hammo

Everyone has their own tastes and preferences as to what they want to spend their money on. :D

But using that logic, Why cruise when you already have a perfectly suitable paid for accommodation and meals at home and you can watch travel documentaries to see far off places.:confused:

"LIKE" ....ha ha!!:D

I just don't understand how $50 can be overpriced for a meal there when I find it hard to believe you could get the same at a restaurant in our hometown for that price.

Some people cannot understand why you would pay $50 for dinner at a restaurant when you have already paid a handsome sum for dinner at a different restaurant the same evening.

Ha Ha. Sorry, Kevin.

Fam=Family.

UDP=Ultimate Dining Plan.

The UDP is only offered at check in/onboard. It is very limited if it is even available. I believe it's about $30 a day but you can eat at all/any of the specialities whenever, every day of your cruise.

/QUOTE]

Do you really do it at check in or at the table the SR have set up on the ship?We're considering it and want to ask at the correct place.

Thanks,

Cynthia

Bolded statement, like.:)

The rest, not so much.:D

Some people cannot understand why you would pay $50 for dinner at a restaurant when you have already paid a handsome sum for dinner at a different restaurant the same evening.

That's fine although it has been said that only $15 a day of your cruise fare goes to food costs if I read that correctly not too long ago. All I'm saying is, if your reasoning is the reason why, fine. But to flat out say it is overpriced at $50 when you can not get that dinner for $50 at any other restaurant on land, is what I debate.

Ha Ha. Sorry, Kevin.

Fam=Family.

UDP=Ultimate Dining Plan.

The UDP is only offered at check in/onboard. It is very limited if it is even available. I believe it's about $30 a day but you can eat at all/any of the specialities whenever, every day of your cruise.

/QUOTE]

Do you really do it at check in or at the table the SR have set up on the ship?We're considering it and want to ask at the correct place.

Thanks,

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

I haven't tried to get it before so I'm new to this as well. I'm going to check in as soon as possible then hit the desk they have set up in the port before you start going up escalators etc to get onboard. If I can't score the UDP, I will tell you that I am simply taking my chances with booking specialties onboard because I have bought the packages a few times before and now I resent being told where to eat. lol I want the freedom to eat at the restaurant I feel like going to and to return if I enjoy it. Plus, there are ALWAYS desks outside of the Oceanview Cafe with reps trying to sign you up with deals. Good Luck!

Edited by purpletequila
spelling error

Hi Cynthia,

I haven't tried to get it before so I'm new to this as well. I'm going to check in as soon as possible then hit the desk they have set up in the port before you start going up escalators etc to get onboard. If I can't score the UDP, I will tell you that I am simply taking my chances with booking specialties onboard because I have bought the packages a few times before and now I resent being told where to eat. lol I want the freedom to eat at the restaurant I feel like going to and to return if I enjoy it. Plus, there are ALWAYS desks outside of the Oceanview Cafe with reps trying to sign you up with deals. Good Luck!

It was my understanding, from other posts on the UD package, you have to make your reservations for the entire cruise when you sign up for this -- it is not just walk up unless you eat at the Bistro at Five. Is this not true? It is the only reason I really considered not purchasing this package. If you can walk up any evening with a reasonable wait and not turned away, I would once again consider purchasing this.

It was my understanding, from other posts on the UD package, you have to make your reservations for the entire cruise when you sign up for this -- it is not just walk up unless you eat at the Bistro at Five. Is this not true? It is the only reason I really considered not purchasing this package. If you can walk up any evening with a reasonable wait and not turned away, I would once again consider purchasing this.

My understanding was that you needed to lock in times as well.