If you're not booked on a Celebrity excursion, are you the last off the ship?

tmbhl_on_the_go

We're considering a Celebrity cruise and haven't sailed with them before. I'm a little concerned by the number 1 advantage of booking a shore excursion with them as listed on their website;

"1 - Guaranteed First Off Ship - Guests booked on our tours enjoy priority departure in port"

We much prefer to tour independently, not with ship excursions, but I dread the thought of having to cool our heels waiting for all the ship excursions to leave before we can, particularly in ports where we would tender such as Santorini, Mykonos and Split.

Can those of you who've sailed before tell me how strictly regulated this is? If we're up early can we just walk off/get an early tender, or will we really have to wait for ship tours to go first? Thanks.

In ports line up as soon as you can and you should get off pretty quickly. We have on occasions been ashore before the "organised Excursions". The issue comes with Tenders with Organised excursions Elite status and suite dwellers all having preference over anyone else. One needs to get to the Tender line early and hopefully one will get off within a couple of hours of tenders starting

In non-tendered ports, one is off very fast, never had an issue!

In tendered ports, the Celebrity tours..elite and above get priority as well..BUT on our British Isles cruise (still on it until Saturday) They didn't start handing out tender tickets for awhile, so as long as u lined up early, u were fine! We lined up at 0745 and they started tendering at 0800...... But that can vary...in our Med cruise in 2013, one had to get a ticket right from the start! I tend not to do tours on Tendered ports, as they can be a gaggle..but all 3 went fairly well on this cruise

In ports line up as soon as you can and you should get off pretty quickly. We have on occasions been ashore before the "organised Excursions". The issue comes with Tenders with Organised excursions Elite status and suite dwellers all having preference over anyone else. One needs to get to the Tender line early and hopefully one will get off within a couple of hours of tenders starting

Yikes, thanks Beanb. The situation in ports sounds fine, but lining up and then taking 2 hours to get off when tendered may be enough to put me off Celebrity...will have to keep pondering.

In Santorini if you use the ships tour you are not only first of but you get to the viewing areas before the real crowds appear.

If there are several ships tendering on the same day this is a bigger advantage still. Also because you are off quick you can do a tour and still have time to sit in a nice bar, people watch and enjoy.

Like you, we enjoy being independent, but in tendered ports, unless you are just going to have a stroll around there can be advantages to booking the ships tour.

In non-tendered ports, one is off very fast, never had an issue!

In tendered ports, the Celebrity tours..elite and above get priority as well..BUT on our British Isles cruise (still on it until Saturday) They didn't start handing out tender tickets for awhile, so as long as u lined up early, u were fine! We lined up at 0745 and they started tendering at 0800...... But that can vary...in our Med cruise in 2013, one had to get a ticket right from the start! I tend not to do tours on Tendered ports, as they can be a gaggle..but all 3 went fairly well on this cruise

Thanks Flames9, hope your British Isles cruise going well! I assume you've got an onboard wifi package - how are you finding it? Is the speed OK?

In the example you give where you lined up at 7.45, what time did you actually get on the tender? (or were you on the first one at 8am?)

In Santorini if you use the ships tour you are not only first of but you get to the viewing areas before the real crowds appear.

If there are several ships tendering on the same day this is a bigger advantage still. Also because you are off quick you can do a tour and still have time to sit in a nice bar, people watch and enjoy.

Like you, we enjoy being independent, but in tendered ports, unless you are just going to have a stroll around there can be advantages to booking the ships tour.

Wow, so many quick responses! Thanks Chemmo. Good point, yes perhaps if we book an early short tour (hopefully not as pricey) that will at least get us out early and still give us time to do our own thing.

Thanks Flames9, hope your British Isles cruise going well! I assume you've got an onboard wifi package - how are you finding it? Is the speed OK?

In the example you give where you lined up at 7.45, what time did you actually get on the tender? (or were you on the first one at 8am?)

We were on the 1st Tender.....I believe those that were on Celebrity tours..used the aft loading spot..where we got in at mid ships.....dont quote me on that though.....We had a private tour (Holyhead) and we got back well before the allotted time....It was originally suppose to be a docked port, then changed to a tendered port.

Yes we got the Unlimited package..full price was $299 for the 2 weeks..minus our 10% off as lowly select level cruisers,lol. It works well all throughout the ship, works great on the laptop, Iphone, Ipad and Amazon Fire tablet. Can only log on to 1 device at a time....I guess if my wife had paid for another pkg, we could have it on 2.....Speeds are ok, fine to surf the web, Wife did watch some TV shows online!!

In Guernsey, they also hired a local boat to help in the transfers.....but that was the only port they did that.....in all others just used their orange lifeboats!!

Edited by flames9

Sometimes you take a cruise to jut not worry bout things like this, let people rush off, get to where they have to, and you can basically get off any time you want do whatever you want to do in the hours you have at port.

To watch people run off is better than watching t he best Tv show ever, Lol that is what a vacation is about being relaxed!

We were on the 1st Tender.....I believe those that were on Celebrity tours..used the aft loading spot..where we got in at mid ships.....dont quote me on that though.....We had a private tour (Holyhead) and we got back well before the allotted time....It was originally suppose to be a docked port, then changed to a tendered port.

Yes we got the Unlimited package..full price was $299 for the 2 weeks..minus our 10% off as lowly select level cruisers,lol. It works well all throughout the ship, works great on the laptop, Iphone, Ipad and Amazon Fire tablet. Can only log on to 1 device at a time....I guess if my wife had paid for another pkg, we could have it on 2.....Speeds are ok, fine to surf the web, Wife did watch some TV shows online!!

In Guernsey, they also hired a local boat to help in the transfers.....but that was the only port they did that.....in all others just used their orange lifeboats!!

Thanks again Flames. Wifi sounds good, last time I paid for wifi onboard it was so slow I didn't think it was worth the money. Enjoy the rest of your travels.

i forget which tender port it was (maybe Guernsey) the first few tender boats did not even fill up....as many had slept in....we got off at 0900 with no issues.....well I guess everyone woke up and wanted off at the same time, so around 10 or 1030, the lines were long, so was the wait!!

I wouldn't worry about the first off comment on ship shore excursions.

What I would do is have a plan in tender ports.

If you are a DIY traveler without status, either decide to be leisurely and get off after the crowd or get off very early.

If you plan to get off early, understand how/when/where tender tickets will be distributed either through asking staff at celebrity connection party or asking guest relations. Then line up for tender ticket 1 hour or so prior to the time stated. Bring a book or someone to chat with while waiting.

Sorry for hacking in but how many life boats are they using for tendering ?

If they deploy all the life boats then the tendering process should be minimal.

they sure have not used all the lifeboats in my very limited experience....1 port I think they had maybe 4, plus a local bigger boat....but the other 2 tendered port, maybe 4 or 5....but have not really paid attention to it....just noticed from my Starboard balcony, most of the boats were still in place onboard...

This was not our experience on the Equinox in 2012. We got on tender #2 and caught the public bus to Oia before the crowds (i.e. Celebrity tour groups) arrived. Don't be sucked in to the ship tours unless you want to take one.

Sorry for hacking in but how many life boats are they using for tendering ?

If they deploy all the life boats then the tendering process should be minimal.

Life boats are not used for tendering. They have tender boats. Take a walk along the deck and you will see the difference in the boats

WE've NEVER had to wait for 2 hours to get off at a tender port...ever! Only the very first ship excursions head out 1st...and the tenders hold a LOT of people. I really believe you're overthinking this!

Tenders run about every 15 mins or so....and in most cases, they are like ferries...upper and lower seating deck.

Edited by cb at sea

We're considering a Celebrity cruise and haven't sailed with them before. I'm a little concerned by the number 1 advantage of booking a shore excursion with them as listed on their website.

We've sailed on Celebrity, Costa, and Oceania and we've had family members who've sailed on Carnival and RC. I can say with full confidence that Celebrity has the best on and off boarding I've ever seen or heard of. It's quick and efficient. We were very disappointed with Oceania's process. It seemed more haphazard and did not extend the cruise experience and customer service to the onshore tender waiting areas. I wouldn't be concerned with booking a ship's tour just to get off the ship earlier. Barring weather complications you should have no issues.I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Also, private tour companies are well aware of tendering limitations and will adjust accordingly. Have fun!

On Santorini, Celebrity ship tours get off the ship first at a different place and are bused to Fira .

I had a private excursion and got off with the tender. The cable car was not working and we had to use the donkeys. It was not pleasant.

Then the ship moves to another spot where the tenders are used.

This was not our experience on the Equinox in 2012. We got on tender #2 and caught the public bus to Oia before the crowds (i.e. Celebrity tour groups) arrived. Don't be sucked in to the ship tours unless you want to take one.

but lining up and then taking 2 hours to get off when tendered may be enough to put me off Celebrity...will have to keep pondering.

Flip flop the situation, we are on our first sailing on one of the lines you sail all the time, and, well,:o

Loyalty perks, no matter how small, or seem meaning less, are due those who return to a Company.

Ok, the process on Celebrity will be a mirror of what you have experienced on the other lines you have sailed.

WE've NEVER had to wait for 2 hours to get off at a tender port...ever! Only the very first ship excursions head out 1st...and the tenders hold a LOT of people. I really believe you're overthinking this!

Tenders run about every 15 mins or so....and in most cases, they are like ferries...upper and lower seating deck.

Were not big cruisers, but on our Med cruise in 2013, due to weather, there were long waits to get off the boat, it was wel over 2 hours for us to get off...lot of stressed out people who had private tours lined up

On Santorini, Celebrity ship tours get off the ship first at a different place and are bused to Fira .

I had a private excursion and got off with the tender. The cable car was not working and we had to use the donkeys. It was not pleasant.

Then the ship moves to another spot where the tenders are used.

You could have walked up the hill. When we were there, we did not stop first to let off celebrity tours. Perhaps that's because it was 7am when we arrived. Early celebrity tours got the first tender and those of us on our own got on tender #2.

Length of tendering time does vary a lot depending on the port conditions, the weather/seas, the popularity of the port, the number of early ship excursions, whether only ships tender boats are used or whether the ports use larger land based tenders, and on and on, so it is really impossible to say for certain how long a tender may take for the average person not booking an excursion. I am not familiar with this particular port, but before we were Elite status, there were a couple ports in the Caribbean where it took us about 45 minutes to get off the ship (we were early, but not 'wait in line at the crack of dawn' early). Usually the wait was much shorter.

Gold1953,

In some ports lifeboats ARE used for tendering. In other ports tge towns you are visiting supply tenders, perhaps you have not seen a place where lifeboats are used but it is far more common that tge ships boats are used than that the port supplies the tenders

When tendering, those on Celebrity tours, those in suites, and those with high status in the loyalty program do get priority.

Other lines run their tender service much the same way, I doubt if you will find one that doesn't create some sort of ordering system for getting onto the tenders, just to manage the crowd control in the tender boarding area.