Diamond plus member rudely treated by fraudulent onboard offer

As a first Time poster, I wanted to clarify that I am / was a very loyal cruiser to RCCL. they do have the best ships, and some of the nicest people. The Oasis is a beautiful ship, and I have had the pleasure to travel on it 3 times. However I wanted to share my recent on board experience and to alert other travelers of this situation so they are not affected by this issue.

I have been loyal to Royal for 17 years, and now I may never sail on royal again, all on a matter of principal. My son received a paper in his room stating word for word the following:

"Receive a $25 rebate when you purchase $50 in arcade credits. Credit will be applied after arcade purchase."

We purchased $50.00 of arcade credits on 8/18. We played a little over half of the credits that evening. We noticed that we were billed the full 50.00 amount for the arcade. We headed to the guest services, and waited for 30 minutes. When meeting with the front desk, they stated that the 25.00 rebate would show up only after the full 50.00 was used. We understood this, and used the remaining $50.00 of arcade over the rest of our cruise. On the last night, we noticed there was still no refund of 25.00 and we also looked at the card thinking maybe they gave us the money in arcade credits, and the balance was still 0.

We headed to the front desk again, waiting an hour in line this time. This time we spoke with Miriam Palomares. After explaining our situation to Miriam, she told us that they could not issue the credit, and that we needed to deal with the loyalty ambassador. She told us the loyalty ambassador would get back to us. When searching for the loyalty ambassador, we found out that they end their hours at 5pm on the last day at sea. We were promised someone contacting us back before the end of our trip. No one contacted us. No 25.00 refund to our account. I even checked the card on departure day seeing if we had 25.00 in arcade credits, and we did not.

This is fraudulent. We didn't get a 25 dollar rebate as stated, and nor did we get 25.00 in credit. No one seemed to care to address the issue. How does the loyalty ambassador not work past 5pm on the last day, nor do they reach back to a loyal member to address the situation. How does the technical process not either give the 25.00 rebate as stated, nor does it give a 25.00 credit in arcade credits if that is what it was supposed to do.

We also had "mini bar" charges for water when none of it was used. But they took care of this for us. Always check your bills.

Anyone have any similar experiences as I have outlined with the on board offers?

We are going to try to see if our credit card company can do a partial chargeback.

If you're D+ the first place you should have gone for help is the Concierge. That's for future reference obviously too late now). That would have at least save you the hours in line at Guest Services. Mistakes do happen so I wouldn't go so far as say it's fraudulent. Sorry they didn't help you...I would call the D+ desk now and see if they can give you some sort of refund or credit , etc

Seems a very trivial issue. Are you sure your son didn't play these credits ? As for the LA just how many hours a day do you expect them to work ? I think you need to step back and read your post.. Really..

Seems a very trivial issue. Are you sure your son didn't play these credits ? As for the LA just how many hours a day do you expect them to work ? I think you need to step back and read your post.. Really..

I was with my son swiping the card for the games, as he is only 8. As for the hours, I check my emails all hours of the day. They work and live on the ship. From 5pm and 8am the next morning they can't check email from the front desk?

I did go to the diamond member lounge and they said only the loyalty ambassador could work with me. I wasn't directed to the concierge club, but will keep that in mind.

Had RCLs system given us the rebate or the credit, there would have been no issue. It didn't, and when trying to get support , no one could help... And the person who could help leaves at 5pm on the last day with no way to reach them on a ship? It's a matter of principal. I have never had an issue with anything on board...and the first time I have an issue, I'm chased away by everyone. Yes 25 is trivial over the thousands, but where do you draw the line. 100, 250,1000?

I'm always amazed at the number of people who think the cruise lines never make mistakes. Did they on this? I don't know. What I do know is they handled it very badly. There is no excuse for not getting back to him, or at the very least, sitting down with him and fully going over the situation with him and explain why he did or didn't get the credit. There was a comment about $25 being a trivial amount for the cruiser. What about $25 being trivial to a multi billion dollar cruise line?

I'm always amazed at the number of people who think the cruise lines never make mistakes. Did they on this? I don't know. What I do know is they handled it very badly. There is no excuse for not getting back to him, or at the very least, sitting down with him and fully going over the situation with him and explain why he did or didn't get the credit. There was a comment about $25 being a trivial amount for the cruiser. What about $25 being trivial to a multi billion dollar cruise line?

There is no way to "Know" that............ All we have to go by is a poster who makes a ridiculous post title ("fraudulent"......really??).

A D+ member who will never cruise them again over a 25.00 error that may still be able to be corrected? Hard to believe.

Joewdial,

Your title seems to be incorrect….WHO TREATED YOU RUDELY??

People at Guest Services gave you direction as did the Diamond Concierge. Not even the Loyalty Ambassador treated you rudely.

From your post it seems that everyone treated you the way their position was required to do. In any job the mis-handling of money is a sticky situation.

As you are D+ and have probably been reading these boards since 2012 you should know that you can call the "Resolutions" desk to have this taken care of you. You may want to start by calling the "D+" desk and having them transfer you to the "Resolutions" desk.

I don't see that the offer was "fraudulent" but I do see the use of "rude" and "fraudulent" in your title to be so.

Edited by beachnative

I suspect lots of cheerleaders on this thread. Seriously like RCL never makes mistakes. They can do no wrong. Who are you all to say that the OP is not D+. Didn't know taking many many cruises required you to post frequently or at all. Maybe the OP never posted because anytime someone has a problem the cheerleaders appear. Who are you to know what is in their pocket and $25 is nothing . If that's the case then why don't YOU send the OP $25. If it's so trivial like the last poster said, then RCL should have refunded it to them since it's a trivial amount. I may not say that that I would leave the cruise line but that's me. I would surely be super pissed about it . I have been with Royal since my first cruise many years ago, but after several years with them if they make a mistake then that is plausible . No company is immune to fault. After all the people working for them is HUMAN. Go figure. I feel for the OP. My advice is to continue to call. I haven't been in this situation after a cruise has ended so dont know how to get it resolved. I DO know that years ago there was a similar offer for arcade credits or rebate, cannot remember which and my son had the same issue. Guest services was able to correct it . I gave them a day and after that went down and had it corrected . Do not give up and just ignore all the ignorance that plagues these boards. SMH

Edited by wild0826

If you are D+ and have been reading these boards since 2013 you should know that you can call the "Resolutions" desk to have this taken care of you. You may want to start by calling the "D+" desk and having them transfer you to the "Resolutions" desk.

The OP has a SeaPass Account Post Cruise problem so they would have to call Post Cruise Guest Relations at 1-800-256-6649. I believe you will find that Resolutions only handles pre-cruise accounting problems.

Sorry OP for the responses you got on your post.

To everyone else who thinks this is a troll, why would the poster join CC in 2012, save his log on and password for 3 years just to log on and make false claims today. Sometimes it's not necessarily $25 but the amount of effort the poster spent trying to rectify the issue just to be met with wasted time, promises for a call back never relieved, and frustration over something trivial that the front desk should have just remedied as good customer service.

As a first Time poster, I wanted to clarify that I am / was a very loyal cruiser to RCCL. they do have the best ships, and some of the nicest people. The Oasis is a beautiful ship, and I have had the pleasure to travel on it 3 times. However I wanted to share my recent on board experience and to alert other travelers of this situation so they are not affected by this issue.

I have been loyal to Royal for 17 years, and now I may never sail on royal again, all on a matter of principal. My son received a paper in his room stating word for word the following:

"Receive a $25 rebate when you purchase $50 in arcade credits. Credit will be applied after arcade purchase."

We purchased $50.00 of arcade credits on 8/18. We played a little over half of the credits that evening. We noticed that we were billed the full 50.00 amount for the arcade. We headed to the guest services, and waited for 30 minutes. When meeting with the front desk, they stated that the 25.00 rebate would show up only after the full 50.00 was used. We understood this, and used the remaining $50.00 of arcade over the rest of our cruise. On the last night, we noticed there was still no refund of 25.00 and we also looked at the card thinking maybe they gave us the money in arcade credits, and the balance was still 0.

We headed to the front desk again, waiting an hour in line this time. This time we spoke with Miriam Palomares. After explaining our situation to Miriam, she told us that they could not issue the credit, and that we needed to deal with the loyalty ambassador. She told us the loyalty ambassador would get back to us. When searching for the loyalty ambassador, we found out that they end their hours at 5pm on the last day at sea. We were promised someone contacting us back before the end of our trip. No one contacted us. No 25.00 refund to our account. I even checked the card on departure day seeing if we had 25.00 in arcade credits, and we did not.

This is fraudulent. We didn't get a 25 dollar rebate as stated, and nor did we get 25.00 in credit. No one seemed to care to address the issue. How does the loyalty ambassador not work past 5pm on the last day, nor do they reach back to a loyal member to address the situation. How does the technical process not either give the 25.00 rebate as stated, nor does it give a 25.00 credit in arcade credits if that is what it was supposed to do.

We also had "mini bar" charges for water when none of it was used. But they took care of this for us. Always check your bills.

Anyone have any similar experiences as I have outlined with the on board offers?

We are going to try to see if our credit card company can do a partial chargeback.

Would suggest you email Laly Rodriguez, the Director of Human Relations for RCI. She is in charge of Human relations for Azamara, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. If anyone can get the issue resolved for you, she would be the proper person to contact. Her email is ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com.

Why do people here always say you shouldn't waste your time over a trivial amount of money? See what happens if you try to disembark the ship when you owe RCI $25.00.

For me, $25 is a drop in the bucket when dealing with Royal Caribbean.

Over the years there have been many situations where Royal Caribbean gave me discounts, price drops, resolved situations and added unasked for OBC, sent wine to my cabin, treated me to dinner at speciality restaurants (totally for no reason) and many other things that add up to far, far more than $25 in value.

Some or all of these have probably been experienced by someone who has cruised enough times to be D+.

Edited by beachnative

In my opinion this is not a fraudulent act committed by a person on their own behalf or on that of RCI. Calling it Fraud goes beyond the pale!

This is definitely one of those tasks that the Diamond Concierge would have been able to handle and if not resolved would still have been available until 8PM for follow-up on the last evening.

We have had charges show up on our Super Bill last thing and we have had them resolved by using the post cruise email on the RCI website.

Reading this post and all the replies reminds of how we are so quick to blame the victim. I am not sure why so many people have this mentality.

I am not a seasoned cruiser but I sure do understand the frustration with trying to get an issue corrected with Royal. Our last cruise on the Splendour I spent more time at customer service than I did enjoying myself! It was quite frustrating and by the last day I was convinced that I would never cruise with Royal again. Between charges on my bill (I check daily because I am not rich) and many issues with my teens card (not working) and then the incompetence of the staff at the desk- Ugh! It was really frustrating! After 5 days into the cruise I actually dealt with a customer service rep that had a brain and we had no further issues.

I am sorry you had an issue-but I am sure if you talk to the right person (I have no idea who that person is :) ) then it will be resolved.

Many people have stated that they wouldn't waste their time over $25. I don't understand this- but I guess I am just too poor to understand this thinking.! I am looking forward to the time in my life when $25 is nothing!

I have no problem with the OP being frustrated by the situation and trying to get the rebate they were promised.

I do take exception to the use of the words "rudely" and "fraudulent" in the title. They seem to have been included out of anger and don't seem to be an accurate representation of the problem or the interactions with staff.

If a D+ member who has seemingly had no problems over many cruises wants to sever their relationship over the first glitch with on-board billing, then that's their business. It seems to me they are cutting off their nose to spite their face, but that's their decision.

FWIW, I'm not a cheerleader -- just a cruiser who's realistic enough to know that things can go wrong and sometimes you need an extra dose of patience to correct them.

Edited by Cindy

Would suggest you email Laly Rodriguez, the Director of Human Relations for RCI. She is in charge of Human relations for Azamara, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. If anyone can get the issue resolved for you, she would be the proper person to contact. Her email is ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com.

Excellent suggestion

We have been charged for mini bar items "After we get home Many times"!! It is a pain to have to call the Post Cruise # but they take care of it right away as well.

Good Luck!!!

Edited by CVU

I have never had an issue with anything on board...and the first time I have an issue, I'm chased away by everyone. Yes 25 is trivial over the thousands, but where do you draw the line. 100, 250,1000?

Sad that you will be run off this board for asking about not having an offer honored. If $25 is so trivial to these keyboard warriors maybe one of them wants to pay you out of pocket? Don't hold your breath.

For me, $25 is a drop in the bucket when dealing with Royal Caribbean.

Over the years there have been many situations where Royal Caribbean gave me discounts, price drops, resolved situations and added unasked for OBC, sent wine to my cabin, treated me to dinner at speciality restaurants (totally for no reason) and many other things that add up to far, far more than $25 in value.

Some or all of these have probably been experienced by someone who has cruised enough times to be D+.

Since it doesn't matter to YOU to be fleeced for $25 go ahead and send $25 to OP.