Carry-On or Check-In for 7-Day Cruise...

romanroxy

I usually have over-packed for past cruises with a jumbo suitcase, etc...LOL!

Has anyone ever brought a carry-on and backpack for a 7-day cruise? I have chatted with a few people who have done this. Just curious if other Cruisers have done this...

Did carryon for my 1st cruise and all cruises going forward - its not as hard as one thinks, just use a big backpack to hold your toiletries especially hair products, a carryon duffel bag to hold all your clothes and a separate purse to hold your documents/ wallet / whatnot . 2nd cruise, I did checked-in; NEVER AGAIN - the wait was too long and when I got it back, the handle was broken....

Did carryon for my 1st cruise and all cruises going forward - its not as hard as one thinks, just use a big backpack to hold your toiletries especially hair products, a carryon duffel bag to hold all your clothes and a separate purse to hold your documents/ wallet / whatnot . 2nd cruise, I did checked-in; NEVER AGAIN - the wait was too long and when I got it back, the handle was broken....

Thanks for sharing your experience! I have also ended up with broken/damaged luggage when it was checked-in. I never liked lugging around that big monster of a suitcase either {in between checking it in!} LOL!

I'm thinking of packing extra light this time, many times I have taken so many things I never used or needed during the trip/cruise...

Good morning.:)....if you do a search on here and type in the topic

you are asking about, you will find lots of threads about it over the

years. I choose to bring one checked bag and my carry on bag BUT

you are going to find quite a few gals who never check a bag anymore.

I sailed with a couple last year and they only use carry on bags for

all their cruises. It works for them.

I don't consider my checked bag "Jumbo" though.......I think it is

24 or 25 inches and my carry on is 21. Both of these work for me:)

Edited by Lois R

DH, DS, and I did carry-ons and rather large personal items for our Spring Break cruise earlier this year. We flew in on embarkation day so we didn't want to risk lost luggage.

The challenges are shoes...especially for men's shoes...and the 3-1-1 bags for toiletries. I think it helps to have multiple 3-1-1 bags, especially if only one traveler is female!

You have to be brutally honest with what you actually will use on the cruise toiletry-wise and what you will wear. Surprisingly, you can typically pack quite a few clothes...especially if you use tools like packing cubes that will help you compress clothing that can be compressed without consequences...and leave more room for the things that you hope won't wrinkle.

We managed to pack everyone's sport coats, dress pants, dress shoes, my formals and everything that we really cared to bring...which I think is the key.

The ability to actually pack what you want when it is all said and done is what will bring you some happiness by having fewer things to unpack and deal with in your stateroom, and also repack to come home.

It's all about choices and mindset. My dresses are that poly jersey knit that packs so easily, so they aren't an issue. And the majority of my day wear are knits (tanks/tee) and technical fabrics that also pack well. Same with DH and DS. So the type of clothing you wear also helps to not have to check baggage.

Definitely a mindset.

Need to make some major decisions beforehand --

-willingness to do laundry (hand, laundry room or send it out)

-or use Febreeze

-or even rewear clothing, shoes, accessories

-rethink your beauty routine

-bring only enough lotions and potions for the length of your travels. Many can be bought or decanted into smaller sizes. Do a test run to see how much you need. At home I've trialed a recycled eye drop bottle- now I know that it holds 42 applications of Argan Oil.

-pack to the size of the chosen suitcase (not choosing a suitcase to fit all the stuff)

Arriving after the cabins open does avoid schlepping the stuff all over the place beforehand. (Princess has its cabins available upon boarding, Carnival's open between 1-1:30)

I did a carryon and a small tote for my Med Cruise last year and will do the same for the Med in 2016 as I do not relish planes, trains, and automobiles with big, heavy, luggage. I leave for Alaska in a week though and as much as I would like, I have to check a bag due to the amount of rain gear, base layers, fleece, cameras, hiking gear, etc that I need to take, rendering it impossible.[emoji17] Cruise Critic Member ducklite has an awesome list for just about every climate. She has some great ideas. Also you can do a search as others have suggested.

Carry on. Lots of luggage means more time waiting to deal with it - getting to the airport sooner, waiting for it to show up at the airport (only once has it been delayed, but several times has gone on an earlier flight and sat unattended until my flight arrived), figuring out what to do with it when a hotel room isn't ready when we arrive. And if we're travelling before the cruise, all the more reason to have a small bag that can be lifted into train baggage racks without too much effort.

Right now I have a 21" Ebags Motherlode Mini rolling duffel (it's not really a duffel since it has a lot of structure; I'd call it a suitcase) that I'm in love with. I'm planning on taking it on a 24 day trip to Europe along with a companion bag (another Ebags one but I can't recall the name). As long as our flights are on US carriers or British Airways, it'll be compliant even when full. If we go on a carrier with a 15 pound limit, then it'll have to be checked.

LMW1330, we did 10 nights on an Alaska cruise with carryon items only. I would have liked a second fleece, almost bought one in Alaska, but was fine with doing a lot of laundry (we were on Princess so it was complimentary for us as Elites, but I did a lot of hand washing, too). If you're on a land trip, that's a different story, of course. But for a cruise it can be done.:)

Edited by critterchick

I have not tried carry-on only and I won't :o - I'm an over packer (charter member of OPA - Over Packers Anonymous). One of the fun parts of cruising for me is looking my best and of course on Celebrity - that means formal nights. I've no desire to only travel with carry on BUT if you do - there are others that do and I'm sure that you will find plenty of support and ideas.

While I am trying to cut back for our next cruise (Alaska with 6 night post cruise) - carry on would never work for me. :D

This is what I am now doing! [emoji1]

So do you want to cut down more than that? You can bring one (neutral) dress and change out accessories - different scarf/bolero/jewelry or shoes. Or just wear the same thing because men do it and who really cares:p

Packing light is truly a MENTAL exercise. If you want to do it, it's possible and there are LOTS of helpful packing lists and tutorials available (here and everywhere else online) If you don't want to do it, you certainly don't have to and it shouldn't ever be a competition as some threads here turn into.

I try to get *better* with my packing, planning my outfits and only bringing what is necessary vs what might be nice, and can certainly travel carry-on only for most trips if I want or need to, but my "norm" these days for more than 5 days is checking a 22" bag and then carrying on a tote and possibly sharing a 19" or 20" rolling carry-on with my husband. This way I can pack a little more if needed, whatever liquids I want (all that sunscreen or box wine:p) but still manage my own bags on whatever transportation I'll need to deal with. I pretty much always do some laundry (in the sink/hanging in shower to dry).

Packing light also depends on the cruise line dress code and where the ship is going to - so, if its NCL going to the Caribbean, you can pretty much do it with just a carry-on with a tote/backpack /purse.

Personally, carry-on packing for Alaska / New England / Canada is more tough to do than packing for the Caribbean due to heavy fabic, footwear and weather involve; while Transatlantics and Europe are inbetween the too extremes. Its not that impossible to pack light for Alaska / New England / Canada, its just that one really has to plan out thier wardrobe well for that type of trip.

Also, one has to think about what kind of carry-on bag their taking with them- some ports (definitely NYC for sure) thinks a 30 inch wheeled duffel bag is a carry-on while a 26 inch 2-wheeled regular luggage instead.(Don't ask me why regarding that discrepancy - its a observation of what one can get away with a 'carry-on') Technically, a carry-on is any bag thats under 22 inches tall/ height - but for a cruise the length (wide) & width (depth) can be any size. If you're flying, of course, you have to follow the measurements to avoid paying check-in - but for cruise, it really is anything goes for carry-on size and/or type. Spinners, backpacks, totes, duffel bags with or without wheels, diaper bags, briefcases, weekender and garment bags make great carry-on bags.

Pick the carry-on that gives you the most room for your needs especially how you're getting to port (plane, train, car, walking, etc...) and whose carrying it (you, husband, etc) and plan your wardrobe according. Its as others have said - its a mental challenge because there's alot of decision-making, planning and test runs to figure out what best works for one and their unique situation. Yes, everyone has a unique situation - not everyone can do a 7 days in the Caribbean in a carry-on on certain lines, let alone 31 days there!

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

We did 21 days in Europe including a 10 day Med cruise with carry-ons. It was too much traveling to worry about hauling big pieces of luggage with us.

A 7 day is no problem with a carry on. I mix and match outfits, re-wear and hand wash if necessary. My dinner outfits are dresses from Lands End that roll up into almost nothing. My shoe problem is non-existent because I can't wear heels due to knee problems so I have flats and flip-flops in my bag which take up almost no room and wear my sneakers.

@hoyaheel, I meant to say that I took your suggestion and am now taking one pair of palazzo pants and two tops. @maywell-I completely agree, packing for Alaska has been very challenging for the reasons stated. I will not say that it is impossible, but I will definitely have to do carry-on and additional larger size tote.

Ironically, I find it MUCH easier to pack light when we travel to northern Europe in late fall (eg cool weather trips - much cooler than AK typically is) I'm wearing a coat all the time, so my accent is to bring a couple of warm & colorful scarves. A few underlayers I can wash in the sink, 1 merino, 1 cashmere sweater, a couple pairs of pants, maybe my merino dress. 2 pairs shoes (walking shoe, knee high boot) and I'm ready to go:D For warm weather - where all my clothing IS seen, and temps/humidity might require more changing of clothing (and laundry - I'm fine with some laundry) I find myself putting more stuff in the bag.

But I also have more experience with the cool weather packing - we aren't really beach people.

To pack smaller and lighter for cooler climates, get rid of the fleece. There are many lightweight down and down-synthetic jackets, hoodies, vests and pullovers out there. They weigh nothing and pack down to nothing. Fleece just hogs up space. You won't find them at WalMart or Target, but if you search places like Sierra Trading Post you'll frequently find good quality brands at discounted price points. Get one of these and a shell (or your rain jacket) and it'll get you through most cold situations (not talking about zero degree F here).

I am not totally sure, but I think I can. It is my goal to do my March Caribbean cruise with a carry on sized bag and a backpack. On our last cruise I was packing for me and my 10 month old in one suitcase, so we had a HUGE suitcase!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not totally sure, but I think I can. It is my goal to do my March Caribbean cruise with a carry on sized bag and a backpack. On our last cruise I was packing for me and my 10 month old in one suitcase, so we had a HUGE suitcase!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were successful to pack in carry-ons and extras (backpacks for the men and a large tote for me).

Your carry-on will make a big difference. I studied options for a while before purchasing the Motherlode Backpack for myself:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101

For myself, I didn't want a roller. I wanted something that would deal better with changing terrain (stairs, curbs, etc.), the extra packing space because of lack of rails for the handle and the wheels, and also the lighter bag weight to begin with for future European travel where I have heard carry ons can be weighed.

If you have a lot of days planned around water...bathing suits, etc. take up such little packing space...if you have a well planned mix and match scheme for the other days...and a well thought out evening plan...you can easily work a Caribbean cruise into carry ons.

The hardest thing is feeling like you pack enough sunscreen given the liquid limitations.