how stressful would an 11am flight from MCO be from 6am Freedom arrival in Cape Canav

Russ Lomas

We are supposed to dock at Port Canaveral at 6am on the Freedom. Just saw a flight that leaves MCO at 11 am. What are your experiences getting off at Port Canaveral and making it to the Orlando airport for an 11 am flight (I know the drive is about an hour) if we get arrange for a shuttle to be waiting for us when we disembark?

I have posted this in the homeports thread as well, but thought previous Freedom cruisers could off their opinion on this as well.

We are supposed to dock at Port Canaveral at 6am on the Freedom. Just saw a flight that leaves MCO at 11 am. What are your experiences getting off at Port Canaveral and making it to the Orlando airport for an 11 am flight (I know the drive is about an hour) if we get arrange for a shuttle to be waiting for us when we disembark?

I have posted this in the homeports thread as well, but thought previous Freedom cruisers could off their opinion on this as well.

I don't know, but I have booked an 11:30, and think I should have no problem unless the ship is late. Have sailed out of PC about 9 times and I am confident we will be ok. I do have transportation arranged and we will walk off the ship. Good luck in whatever you do.

The new terminal is great. When we disembarked the Enchantment in March our luggage tag was called at 9:10 and at 9:30 we were out of the port area driving to Orlando.

We did make use of the porter who have their own dedicated customs line which saved us at least 1/2 an hour.

We have made an early flight with no issues but we were not flying to Canada. I would make sure to verify the check in requirements for the airline you are flying prior to booking anything. Some Canadian airlines require you and your luggage to be checked in two hours prior to the flight with no exceptions.

The ship may dock at 6 AM but my experience was security may not start allowing passengers off for 30-45 minutes. I did self carry off on a Freedom cruise but stood in line a long time before security allowed anyone off the ship.

Also keep in mind that the security lines at MCO are more often than not RIDICULOUSLY long and S-L-O-W. Even if you have the "express" pass for your airline.

I'm in the camp that goes for a later flight even if it means hanging out at the airport. I'd rather do that than be stressed and rushing on the last day of my vacation.

We have made an early flight with no issues but we were not flying to Canada. I would make sure to verify the check in requirements for the airline you are flying prior to booking anything. Some Canadian airlines require you and your luggage to be checked in two hours prior to the flight with no exceptions.

Thanks for the comment.

We fly domestic to an airport near the border and drive back into Canada. Flights out of Toronto are MUCH more expensive than flying out of Buffalo, Detroit, Flint, etc., so we would not have to worry about the longer time required to check in for an international flight since it would not apply to our situation.

Also keep in mind that the security lines at MCO are more often than not RIDICULOUSLY long and S-L-O-W. Even if you have the "express" pass for your airline.

I'm in the camp that goes for a later flight even if it means hanging out at the airport. I'd rather do that than be stressed and rushing on the last day of my vacation.

The difference in flights is about $600 per person times 6 people, so unless the later flight comes down a LOT, there is a huge price difference (more than the entire cost of the cruise for the 6 of us actually).

It may be doable on a Sunday but I fly out of MCO alot and it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2.5 hours to get through security.

We only flew out of MCO on JetBlue last March and they had prescreened everyone. From the time we got dropped off at the airport to the time we had dropped our bags, gone through security, and were sitting waiting to board our plane, it was a total of 30 minutes. Fastest I have ever done at a major airport. I would think this is not typical at MCO, but did not know.

The difference in flights is about $600 per person times 6 people, so unless the later flight comes down a LOT, there is a huge price difference (more than the entire cost of the cruise for the 6 of us actually).

I can understand that.

But I'd also caution that the much higher price could be a sign that that flight is nearly sold out. IF you miss your early flight, the odds that they can get all 6 of you on the next flight (or even the next few flights) is pretty slim - unless you're willing to split the party for flying, which since you've said you drive to the US to fly seems unlikely). (I know this is an extreme example, but a few years ago when the Christmas blizzard shut down the Northeast, I was flying back to NYC solo - scheduled out on December 27 or 28. They were able to get me in a seat on a flight back on New Year's Day only because a) I was solo and b) I had flexibility in which airport I could fly into - to the point I even offered to go to DC, Philly or Boston and grab a train. Families who wouldn't or couldn't split up were sometimes looking at two or more WEEKS before they could all be accommodated on a flight - I know that because there was a family of 4 refusing to split up even 2 and 2 at the podium next to me. The odds of something that extreme happening again are probably slim, but it definitely gave me pause.)

In this case, I personally would also look at the cost for a hotel room/rooms the night you disembark and the flight the next morning. But that's me - as I said earlier, I don't like feeling rushed and stressed the last day of my vacation. I'm looking at this option for my return flight from my Med/Venice cruise next summer as the afternoon flight is about $1000 more than the morning flights, which technically ARE in the safe zone per the cruiseline but to me seem to be a little close for my comfort, especially if Barcelona picks that day to go into one of their random "extra measures" security days. A hotel room would be MUCH less than $1000, and the whole situation would be much easier than trying to get on another flight after missing one. And I'm only one person traveling.

We only flew out of MCO on JetBlue last March and they had prescreened everyone. From the time we got dropped off at the airport to the time we had dropped our bags, gone through security, and were sitting waiting to board our plane, it was a total of 30 minutes. Fastest I have ever done at a major airport. I would think this is not typical at MCO, but did not know.

DEFINITELY not typical! One January after the WDW Marathon, I'd randomly been given PreCheck - you know, the special "speedy" line where you don't have to remove anything from your bags and can stay fully dressed - and even with that line I was at least 30 minutes before I cleared security.

It always amazes me how clueless people are in the MCO lines - more so than any other airport I've experienced. I mean, these people have OBVIOUSLY been on vacation (evidenced by the theme park bags stuffed with goodies they are carrying), but all I can figure is they must have driven and then decided "Oh, let's fly back home" because you would never know they'd been on an airplane or through airport security before from the cluelessness displayed.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

MCO with the TSA is the most disorganized system know to man.

When you arrive to the first area to check your ID and boarding pass they have 8 lines that merge to two.

Talk about no one wanting to give a guy a break to merge into the line to get screened and go thru the metal detectors and or x rays.

Two times it took over 90 min. (we were warned and DH set his stop watch from the time we got to the first area, till our shoes were back on).

Ok Once we made it thru in 30 min.

But remember, you will need reliable transportation from the port.

Takes about 45 min to get to airport

Then

Deal with the lines.

Good luck , would be close, but too many factors could mess you up.

Delayed port clearance.

Slow customs at port

Wreck on freeway holding up and delaying traffic.

Later

Edited by Lionesss

The later flight that is a higher price is because cruise passengers have to get home and find those flights safer to book, so they make them more expensive. We fly home at a much higher rate than we paid to fly to the cruise.

This time we got a very good rate flying from Kansas City to Houston - $128.00 for two of us. Flying home from Houston to Kansas City at 12:05, it is $546.00. There was an earlier flight that was a better price, but we dock at Galveston and have to get to Houston, which is similar to the situation you have.

The later flight that is a higher price is because cruise passengers have to get home and find those flights safer to book, so they make them more expensive. We fly home at a much higher rate than we paid to fly to the cruise.

This time we got a very good rate flying from Kansas City to Houston - $128.00 for two of us. Flying home from Houston to Kansas City at 12:05, it is $546.00. There was an earlier flight that was a better price, but we dock at Galveston and have to get to Houston, which is similar to the situation you have.

In response to the question, this morning my son got off Freedom at 7:30AM (thru Customs and out of the terminal). They started self assist debarkation at 7AM. Would have been no problem taking the specified flight particularly with prearranged transportation. We live near the port and even on this holiday weekend traffic was very light on the Beachline headed to Orlando.

Edited by Scotty G
clarify

You may make it, but is there a flight a bit later that you could take? If it were Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale I might say go for it, but you have a bit of travel time from the port, traffic to be considered.

Also like the other posters said, TSA out of MCO may be lengthy too.

Rule of thumb for me and my friends who fly home after a cruise is to try for a flight that leaves between 1 and 2PM.

Weekends are busy days for departures from Florida.

Edited by Jay Sam
addition

You may make it, but is there a flight a bit later that you could take? If it were Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale I might say go for it, but you have a bit of travel time from the port, traffic to be considered.

Also like the other posters said, TSA out of MCO may be lengthy too.

Rule of thumb for me and my friends who fly home after a cruise is to try for a flight that leaves between 1 and 2PM.

Weekends are busy days for departures from Florida.

Is Tampa an option if sailing from Port Canaveral?

Also, what is your transportation? A shared shuttle isn't going to floor it to the airport as soon as you get on, they have other passengers from other ships to pick up. Have you checked other airports, as well. Sometimes, Melbourne is about the same price for me , about the same driving time and much easier security. Last time I checked, they had a 1pm flight that worked out perfectly for me. :)

What is the express pass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a related question in that we will be arriving back in PC on Enchantment on a Mon in Nov. Original flight time was 2:00 but airline cancelled that flight and moved it to just after noon. Nothing in the afternoon until 6:30. My question is: if we (5 of us) do self disembark after scheduled 7 am arrival, what time could we expect Budget shuttle to pick us up. I have read somewhere that they do not like to come to the port until they can bring passengers to embark, which would not be too early, or that they may not have cars available right away in the morning--we reserve a minivan.

Does anyone have an estimation of time difference between going to car rental and driving vs CB shuttles to MCO.

We arrived on FOS this morning and had a 12:00 flight out of MCO. We did self carry with our luggage and used Cocoa Beach Shuttle for transport. We were at MCO at 9 AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk