Hot Spots and Headlines: A Mariner Mediterranean Joint Live Blog

Mr Rumor

We are late to the blog, but finally checking in. Had our first tour free day yesterday, taking the Regent shuttle to town for a look around Antalya. Very nice, and the mountains around town were beautiful. Back on board, took advantage of most folks being on tour for an excellent thai massage, followed by trivia, where our team tied for first. Stayed on for bingo, but due to insuffient number of players, we played for Regent points only, and of course, this was the time I got two Bingos. Dinner at Sette Mari for the fourth time, and on to the excellent show, in which Rachael G's George played a major role. Looking forward to exploring old town Rhodes this morning.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Z, I'll be happy to extend your and TB's greetings to Olga--glad you checked in!

Greetings from Rhodes, where the forecast today is for sunny skies and 81 degrees. Glad to see we're docked within easy walking distance of Old Town, which has been designated a World Heritage Site. Just picked up a walking map from the local rep, and will be taking off with our happy feet soon. We cancelled our "Rhodes and the Acropolis of Lindos" excursion for this a.m. as it seemed like a little too much exertion for today. We'll get another crack at that outing on October 1, as we're staying on for the next cruise.

Rachel provided a nice overview of our "Perge and the Antalya Archaological Museum" excursion yesterday in Antalya. The big surprise for me is how vast the Perge excavation site is, 10,000 square meters. Excavation will probably continue for decades to come. We drove past the ruins of the stadium, which held 35,000, and then did a walking tour, including the extensive South Baths, which included a dressing room; cold, warm and hot baths; excercise area; and rooms for "intellectual activities." We then motored on to the impressive museum, where we viewed dozens of sculptures that had populated Perge.

We enjoyed visiting with Rachel/George and Jackie/Dennis yesterday, first at the Pool Deck lunch (Rachel/George and Ginny and me), then in Jackie/Dennis' suite for wine and appetizers (all of us), and then at dinner (Jackie/Dennis and Ginny and me). The news of the amazing birthday coincidence came up in the context of my telling the story of how Ginny and I met aboard the Royal Viking Star in 1977. When I mentioned our joint birthday, Rachel went wide-eyed on us--"That's my birthday, too!!!" Later, George calculated the fantastic odds of the three of us sharing the same birthday. I forgot the number, so let's just stipulate it is 1 in gazillion!

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

I mentioned earlier on this thread that we were wait listed on excursions because we booked so late. Two of the wait lists cleared but the one we really wanted did not. The last time we were Rhodes we did the city tour followed by lunch at a Greek restaurant where they show you how a few dishes are made. We decided to go "stand-by" and were happy to be able to join the excursion.

I'm trying to remember the menu as my husband went upstairs with the recipes. I remember that we had Greek salad with the amazing Feta cheese that is used on the Pool Deck (maybe not exactly the same but it was purchased in Greece and is incredible). This was served with tziziki (misspelled) and delicious bread. Note: we were at the lucky table -- after the chef showed how to prepare the salad and tziziki, it was given to our table. After the salad was incredible Moussaka (probably misspelled) followed by the Greek version of meatballs and pasta. Everything so fresh and well-made. This is why we wanted to repeat this excursion. We have never had better Greek food. Almost forgot that wine was also served with lunch. The Chef is from Cypress and is absolutely delightful.

I'm debating whether I want to shop for gifts for friends here or in Ephesus tomorrow. It reminds me of what some of the crew go through in the afternoon........ do I go into town on take a nap??? In my case, reading and a nap is sounding quite good.

Really enjoyed our time with Ginny, Rich, Rachel and George last night.

I mentioned earlier on this thread that we were wait listed on excursions because we booked so late. Two of the wait lists cleared but the one we really wanted did not. The last time we were Rhodes we did the city tour followed by lunch at a Greek restaurant where they show you how a few dishes are made. We decided to go "stand-by" and were happy to be able to join the excursion.

I'm trying to remember the menu as my husband went upstairs with the recipes. I remember that we had Greek salad with the amazing Feta cheese that is used on the Pool Deck (maybe not exactly the same but it was purchased in Greece and is incredible). This was served with tziziki (misspelled) and delicious bread. Note: we were at the lucky table -- after the chef showed how to prepare the salad and tziziki, it was given to our table. After the salad was incredible Moussaka (probably misspelled) followed by the Greek version of meatballs and pasta. Everything so fresh and well-made. This is why we wanted to repeat this excursion. We have never had better Greek food. Almost forgot that wine was also served with lunch. The Chef is from Cypress and is absolutely delightful.

I'm debating whether I want to shop for gifts for friends here or in Ephesus tomorrow. It reminds me of what some of the crew go through in the afternoon........ do I go into town on take a nap??? In my case, reading and a nap is sounding quite good.

Really enjoyed our time with Ginny, Rich, Rachel and George last night.

TC2:

We also had the pleasure of participating on this tour a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved the lunch that was served. I especially enjoyed the fresh peach (allergic :mad:) and yoghurt dessert with honey. It was the best yoghurt I have ever had. We sat with a very nice Canadian couple who were undergoing the TC2 Clothes Shuffle. Her suitcases were lost by Air Canada and she was wearing clothes she was buying at the ports along with donations.

Unfortunately, we lost the recipe packet that was provided and also forgot the name of the restaurant (you don't have to say it; I'm a putz). If anyone would be kind enough to scan the recipes and post them, I would be much obliged. Otherwise, you can also email them to Zqueeze1atyahoodotcom. Regardless, it was a great day shared with new friends. I'll try to post a pic or two later on today displaying some of the food.

Z and TB

We were up early for our excursion to Lindos and Rhodes which left at 7:55. Just a note: boarding the buses seems to have been much more organized and easy that on many past cruises. Part of this I attribute to the fact that there are no tender ports, but it seems to be flowing very smoothly for the most part.

It was a 1 hour drive along the coast to Lindos. A bright sunny day, with a little breeze, warm but not too hot.

From the parking lot, we had to walk down a fairly steep path along the side of the road to the old town. From there, we climbed up and up along stairs to the Acropolis which is very impressive. We got there early, and it wasn't too crowded when we arrived, but by the time we were walking down, the place was packed. Good thing we came early.

Good views all around. We had the quiet vox system so we're able to wander all over and still hear the guide. The climb was quite a hike. There were donkeys that could be hired to take you part way if you did not want to walk or were unable to, but this would not be a tour for a person with any mobility issues or problems with stairs.

We then wandered back down to the new town on our own, stopping for some delicious and refreshing freshly squeezed orange juice, prepared right there for us.

Lunch was at a roadside taverna. The starters were quite good--good Greek salad with feta cheese, pita bread, eggplant salad, tzatziki (my spelling is off I think), dolmas, falafel. Unfortunately they should just have given us more of that because it was so good, and the main course was really lame-Tyson type boneless chicken breast, plain baked potato, rice with frozen peas and carrots. Hard to understand how the start was so good and the main so really mundane. And dessert was excellent--yogurt with this jam made from grapes and burnt sugar or molasses, not sure which.

We then drove back to Rhodes old town, where we walked all the way through. We had been here before, but this is on of my favorite places, and I was happy to return. An old walled city with a big castle, lots of little nooks and crannies, lots of pretty healthy looking cats, and a great archeological museum which is well organized with good signage.

We walked back to the ship because it was really close. There was an option to take the bus, but honestly, we were right by the ship when we got to where the bus was, and it was a pleasant walk.

"Z" - assuming that Dennis kept the copy, I'll make sure I either post it or scan it or ??? Also, sent regards to Olga - told her that you are still waiting for your coffee (she laughed) and she said that I could give her a hug from you on the last day (Monday). Sounds like she will receive more messages from you by others -- there could never be too many good wishes!

Am so bummed that we didn't go back into Old Town to find the fish spas. We have been here 3 times previously and thought we knew what was there. I'll definitely look in Kusadasi tomorrow to see what is going on.

Heard that the trivia team came in third today -- kudos!

Loving, loving ALL of your reports and adventures. Just came in from doing a yard sale (more tomorrow) and it was lovely to read about all the fun you're having!

Have a drink (or two!) for us in the OB lounge! Keep calm and sail on!

Linda and John

Missed trivia today due to tour getting back late, but had a wonderful dinner inP7. Love the new additions to the menu.

Film flashback --the show tonight- was above and beyond amazing, absolutely the bast show I have seen ever on any cruise ship. i can't even begin to describe. They were just outstanding.

Just a couple of things that we found interesting speaking with passengers and crew......... there is a lovely young couple on board that have sailed Celebrity exclusively. By the fourth day on Regent they booked three cruises (two on the Explorer). It is good to see some younger people appreciating what Regent has to offer (and they appreciate being on a ship without children).

The crew really enjoys both Rhodes (where they get great gyros with fresh homemade pita for a good price) and Kusadasi. Today many crew members will head out to a restaurant that has fresh fish that they select and have prepared the way they like it. Dennis (our server - not my DH) loves to cook. He gives them $5 and prepares his own fish in their kitchen using their equipment and spices. Looking forward to hearing about this experiences on shore.

Tonight is the big barbeque on the pool deck. Although we prefer dining inside, we love the sushi that is put out on the buffet. My plan is to pick up some sushi on my way from the Observation Lounge to Compass Rose and have it as our appetizer. The ship will be docked until 10:00 p.m. - tomorrow is a sea day and then the cruise ends. While we are typically sad at the end of a cruise, we know that we will be back onboard in approximately 6 weeks so we are fine with it.

Today is shopping for us -- need to pick up some small items before we head home.

P.S. "Z" - Dennis thought that I had the recipes and I thought he had it. The bottom line is that neither of us do. I wanted the recipe to take home. If I see anyone from the excursion, I'll ask if I can make a copy.

Have been enjoying a leisurely morning on the ship in Kusadasi. There are only a few of us onboard at the moment, as all of the tours except two left between 8 and 8:30. We're on the second departure of "Discover Ephesus with an Expert," along with Rachel and George. We will be taking off in just about an hour. We took this excursion in 2012, and still regard it as one of our several favorite Regent excursions, which is why we booked a repeat.

While out for a stroll on Deck 12 this morning, I had a nice chat with Captain Teo Srdelic, who enjoys his morning walks. He is breathing a little easier now that we've made it safely through the first ports--"I didn't get much sleep the first two, three nights," he said. For those of us on the Roll Call who questioned the wisdom of calling at the Egyptian ports at this time, the Captain mentioned that a Regent security team made an in-person trip to confirm they were safe for the Mariner to call at. Even at the last minute, Captain Teo--like any captain of any ship at any time--had the authority to cancel if developments warranted.

With Bigdogwon's two posts we are up to eight live posters on this cruise. This has to be a Regent Cruise Critic Message Board record. I hope the idea of joint live blogs will catch on. I already know I want to do one for the Explorer's Maiden Voyage.

I wholeheartedly agree with Rachel's raves for Jean Ann Ryan's production of "Film Flashback" last night. Songs from a great group of '80s films were performed, including "Top Gun," "Risky Business," "9 to 5," "Footloose," "Fame," "Flashdance" and "Blues Brothers." I think that a JAR star has been born in female vocalist Joanne Bacon, who can really belt, and has a great stage personality to match. Hard to believe this is not only her first Jean Ann Ryan contract but also, at 22, her first professional gig! Looking forward to watching all the JAR shows again next week.

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Just returned from out second outing in Kusadasi. After shopping we returned to the ship and had lunch. We saw Bigdogwon who asked if we had seen the "fish spa" in town. We had not and asked for directions. Despite being hot, we ventured out and found it - had a great "fish pedicure" for only 15 Euros for both of us (15 minutes). The fish were very happy as I don't think they had customers yet today:-)

I think that it is time for a rest and some reading -- perhaps some early packing. I will post from the Cape Town cruise mainly to report and post pictures of the pre-cruise safari (the camp, animals, etc.) It is doubtful that we can get people to post as a group as I do not see people from our Roll Call on the Regent board. On the other hand, the group that will be on the Explorer in a year and 2 months might set a new record for group blogging (hope so).

P.S. Had more amazing Feta cheese with foccacia (misspelled) bread, tomatoes, olive oil and vinegar...... amazingly yummy. They also had my favorite Regent cake in La Veranda - the "Opera" cake. No clue what it is except it has something like chocolate fudge, light mocha cream and cake - definitely high in calories but the one dessert that I cannot resist.

Just returned from out second outing in Kusadasi. After shopping we returned to the ship and had lunch. We saw Bigdogwon who asked if we had seen the "fish spa" in town. We had not and asked for directions. Despite being hot, we ventured out and found it - had a great "fish pedicure" for only 15 Euros for both of us (15 minutes). The fish were very happy as I don't think they had customers yet

P.S. Had more amazing Feta cheese with foccacia (misspelled) bread, tomatoes, olive oil and vinegar...... amazingly yummy. They also had my favorite Regent cake in La Veranda - the "Opera" cake. No clue what it is except it has something like chocolate fudge, light mocha cream and cake - definitely high in calories but the one dessert that I cannot resist.

Opera Cake is layers of almond sponge cake soaked in coffee or coffee syrup, layer of chocolate ganache, coffee buttercream and topped with chocolate glaze.

It has no calories.:D

I wholeheartedly agree with Rachel's raves for Jean Ann Ryan's production of "Film Flashback" last night. Songs from a great group of '80s films were performed, including "Top Gun," "Risky Business," "9 to 5," "Footloose," "Fame," "Flashdance" and "Blues Brothers." I think that a JAR star has been born in female vocalist Joanne Bacon, who can really belt, and has a great stage personality to match. Hard to believe this is not only her first Jean Ann Ryan contract but also, at 22, her first professional gig! Looking forward to watching all the JAR shows again next week.

Rich

Rich,

I totally agree about Joanne Bacon. We were mesmerized by her performances! A star is born. She was the highlight of our trip, well, AFTER meeting Z and TB:)

You guys are so funny! Yes - the fish tickle your feet a bit but it is relaxing and fun in a weird sort of way. You wash your feet before putting them in with the fish. The fish get excited and nibble away at your feet - particularly at the bottom part of your toenail. I know this sounds gross but we are generally up for anything and enjoy 99% of what we do.

Tonight's Grand BBQ was lovely but we decided to dine in CR. We learned an interesting thing in CR -- apparently most Brits do not like the BBQ and were in CR (over a 100 Brits by 6:45 p.m.). My dear husband went upstairs to LV and got me a plate of salmon sashimi which was a lovely appetizer for us. The BBQ had three cooked pigs that we saw (could be more) plus BBQ'd meats, etc. The weather was perfect for dining outside but we prefer dining in air conditioning (such as it is....... still too warm). After being raised in hot weather and intentionally moving to a cool climate, it takes a lot for us to appreciate the sun or heat.

orchestrapal: Thanks for the perfect description of an Opera cake!

After dinner we went up to the pool deck to mingle with friends and the crew. Tomorrow, our last day, is a sea day.

One more time, for us, in Kusadasi, Turkey. After Port Said and Alexandria is is nice to have civilization again. I think that is what they call it as you get off the ships and are greeted by a thousand leather coat salesmen and glittering windows of White Zirconia. We did have fun walking around the town and saying "no thank you" to all of the smokers. We did the unthinkable and had our "Foot Spa" pedicure. Feet are dunked into an small aquarium with tiny fish ready have their meal for the day. In fifteen minutes both feet come out looking like they had been in dry dock. Heartily recommended for of the trekkers that did the 11 hour excursions to the Pyramids.

Beautiful sunny day in Kusadasi, not too hot and with a nice breeze. We had a later start excursion as we were on "Ephesus with an Expert" where a retired archeologist who led the excavation here guides us around.

But first, we were taken to a delicious Turkish lunch with all sorts of vegetables, roasted peppers, delicious lamb sausage, good rice and this yummy thin bread sort of like naan. Desert was a poppy seed cake soaked in honey. All very good.

We then went to the museum to see the artifacts from the site then the site itself. We had been here 12 years ago, and they have done a lot of excavation in that time. The terrace houses are huge. It was so cool to think that I was walking on the same exact street as the apostles Paul and John, with the same paving stones. Our guide was really good and showed us all sorts of special things. Of course, nobody fusses if he touches the artifacts as he is the one who found them.

After our tour, we came back to the port. There was a totally optional no pressure visit to a carpet store. And yes, I, the person who said I was not going to buy another rug since I have seven already, bought another one. But it is really really beautiful. I love it.

Dinner was on deck with a big dance party to follow. I even got George to dance. Lorraine sang, and she is very good. Wish she would do that more often.