Unlimited laundry doesnt include pressing?

retiredkid

I just prepaid 133 dollars for unlimited laundry for my 19 day cruise (7 per day). She then asked if I wanted to add pressing for another 67 dollars. When I questioned, she advised that it is simply wash and fold. No ironing or pressing. And that I could simply have the pressing done per piece as needed. I don't want DH to have wrinkled shirts. What is your experience.... do you add the unlimited pressing or do it by the piece? sigh.... so much to learn. TIA

I have never heard of anyone who bought the unlimited laundry also having to pay for pressing.

Everything that is sent out to be washed whether it be by unlimited laundry or by the bag has had all their clothes ironed.

Some people even said that their underwear was pressed!!

And you do have a choice of whether you want items folded or hung on hangers.

My laundered linen pants and blouses always come back pressed. Some pressed better than others. My linen blouses always look great, while the pants - not so much.

I always thought that 'pressing' was for wrinkled items that didn't need washing.

Edited by socalcruisers2

We always purchase the unlimited laundry and never the ironing/pressing service. We always mark our sheets for items to be hung. When returned there are some items, underwear or pjs, that come back folded, wrapped in tissue and placed in a basket while everything else comes back on hangers and they are pressed or ironed. In some cases better than I would have done so at home. Even my husband's printed T-shirts are returned ironed.... trust me I don't do that at home. :o

I really think too many in Seattle just don't have a clue. Either that or it varies ship to ship.

I would suggest you do not buy the "pressing" in advance and if once on board you are not happy with the returned items then go ahead and order the service.

Edited by larsen

We always purchase the unlimited laundry and never the ironing/pressing service. We always mark our sheets for items to be hung. When returned there are some items, underwear or pjs, that come back folded, wrapped in tissue and placed in a basket while everything else comes back on hangers and they are pressed or ironed. In some cases better than I would have done so at home. Even my husband's printed T-shirts are returned ironed.... trust me I don't do that at home. :o

I really think too many in Seattle just don't have a clue. Either that or it varies ship to ship.

I would suggest you do not buy the "pressing" in advance and if once on board you are not happy with the returned items then go ahead and order the service.

I agree with your comment about it looking better than it does at home. I'm amazed at how wrinkle free my laundry comes back. I can't do it that well at home. That said, my iron rarely sees the light of day.

Thanks, everyone for the replies. I did tell her that I would call back for the pressing, that's when she mentioned the 'per piece' idea. It really did seem strange to me. Hope hubby doesn't get too used to the idea of pressed knickers.:eek::D

Edited by retiredkid

I agree with your comment about it looking better than it does at home. I'm amazed at how wrinkle free my laundry comes back. I can't do it that well at home. That said, my iron rarely sees the light of day.

Do I even HAVE an iron in my condo???

I suspect it was another of our favorite not well trained, inexperienced reps giving inaccurate information.

Perhaps she confused they may offer a package for 'pressing only' that costs $67.

Unlimited laundry will include having the clothes that were washed pressed and hung or folded (per your preference) unless they changed that policy in the last day or two. :D

When I purchased a 26 day unlimited laundry package from Ship's Services for an October 14th cruise, I was told that it includes washing, drying, and pressing. I had the option of folded or on hangers. I purchased it in advance because it's $7 per day ahead of your cruise and $9 per day purchased onboard.

An extra fee for pressing... that's nuts. Passengers would start smuggling travel irons onboard, which can start fires, or blow circuit breakers. When you call back, ask to speak with a supervisor, and then do it again if you get the same answer. When you do finally get your unlimited laundry package purchased, ask for a receipt to be faxed or e-mailed to you. It really comes in handy when the front desk says "we don't know anything about your laundry package".

Is there unlimited laundry available at every ship? When I asked HAL in the Netherlands, I was told this is not available on the Oosterdam ??

We have had unlimited laundry package on Eurodam, Zuiderdam and Westerdam, so I would expect that it is available on Oosterdam also. I don't think you can pre-book it through the HAL website, but you can call Ship Services in Seattle to arrange it. Anyway, normally there are details in the cabin on emabarkation day and if not, then a quick visit to the front desk sorts it out.

I believe sail7seas is right. There are separate packages, but the full unlimited package includes pressing, laundry and dry-cleaning.

On the cruise from which we just returned, the form you fill out for the unlimited package includes sections for laudry, pressing only, and dry-cleaning.

Never thought to pre-pay for the laundry but if it saves you some dough and helps cross off a 'to-do' list item, then sign me up!

What other sorts of things outside of the available add-ons on the HAL site (beverages, excursions, spa treatments, specialty restaurants) do you like to pre-arrange? Internet perhaps - although I've seen mixed messages on recent changes to these plans. Sounds like the Hydro-pool package has on-board embarkation day specials. What other sorts of things?

sends out a stuffed unlimited bag towards the end of our cruise. None of the easy stuff like underwear and socks - more of his pants and shirt's. They come back pressed so NICE! That is why he does it so he's ready to hit the ground running when we get home :-)

I am looking forward to that 4th tier benefit of free laundry and pressing - I spend days ironing prior to cruising :eek:

THANKS TO CC COMMENTSI had my on-line super TA add unlimited laundry to my 18 day cruise package. It appears with the rest of the details right on my cruise documents (the one that someday will say paid in full:D.

I have not been on HAL before but I have sent laundry on about 10 different lines and always I have been pleased. AND yes I iron -- a calming and fulfilling chore that brings me secret pleasure and allows my grown daughters a reason to roll their eyes and shake their heads:p I am excited about the laundry package. I always go to the laundry room if a ship has one but sometimes it is crowded and always there is the one nasty queen of the world having a bad day. I think I will make up a little form on my computer and have several sheets that I can tape to the closet and every time you put an item in the laundry bag you record it so don't have to handle the dirty stuff to make out the laundry slip.

My tip for you: Since most of my cabins are small (no suites and often oceanview) finding a place for laundry bag is a problem because of smell. I take a small roll of Glad garbage bags with Frebreeze scent. Powers down the smell wonderfully. Mr and I have separate bags in the closet and when they kick me off my lovely ship -- my bag goes in my suitcase and hubby's in his and you know your weight is close to the same as when you left home. If you cross pack well figure out at the start how you are doing the laundry bag since weighing by those handheld scales is REALLY NOT good -- very inaccurate is our experience. See I'll only need a couple to change out -- don't have to drag them to the laundry room! Don't buy the pressing -- if you have one or two items just pay per piece -- better yet leave that blouse at home:)

Edited by Bowie MeMe

We have used the unlimited laundry several times without problems. However, we have never had polyester/cotton slacks/pants washed. They appear to iron jeans and knitted slacks/pants flat, from inside seam to outside seam on the legs, which is ok for those items, but what about regular dressy slacks that have a crease in the front (like officer's pants). Can/must you specify an ironed crease on those items? Has anyone had a problem with the crease being ironed out? If so, were they able to re-press the crease back in?

Appreciate any info (hope my description is clear!)

Penny

What is not included is the pressing of garments that aren't being laundered.

So if you need to send your suit, or other gala night clothes for pressing, that would be an additional charge beyond laundry. But shirts will come back cleaned and pressed, either on hangers, or folded; starched or unstarched, as the case may be.

I believe sail7seas is right. There are separate packages, but the full unlimited package includes pressing, laundry and dry-cleaning.

On the cruise from which we just returned, the form you fill out for the unlimited package includes sections for laudry, pressing only, and dry-cleaning.

I think the unlimited laundry with dry-cleaning is only available to Suites and not sure if 4* Mariners also get the dry-cleaning.

We have used the unlimited laundry several times without problems. However, we have never had polyester/cotton slacks/pants washed. They appear to iron jeans and knitted slacks/pants flat, from inside seam to outside seam on the legs, which is ok for those items, but what about regular dressy slacks that have a crease in the front (like officer's pants). Can/must you specify an ironed crease on those items? Has anyone had a problem with the crease being ironed out? If so, were they able to re-press the crease back in?

Penny

I think I remember reading that someone ended up with a double crease which is not easy to remove once it's pressed. So, not totally risk free.

Penny

I have never specified a specific crease on either my or my husband's pants. We have also used drycleaning. Everything came back pressed just fine. No issues.

If I did have one, I would send it back to be corrected ;)