Js a better deal than gs on oasis and harmony class??

zteamtwo

With the announcement of the Suite upgrades starting in May 2016, I was wondering what everyone thought about this: "perhaps a JS is a better deal than a GS". The biggest enhancement to JS is that you can eat dinner in Coastal Kitchen (we will be trying that this Nov on Allure in a GS). Everyone seems to say that the food in CK is superior to main dining room. That is big. We have stayed in a JS with a "hump" balcony and the room is great. Here is an example. Nov 29 2016 sailing on Allure in a GS for 2 seniors is $4566. The JS on the same sailing is $3336. That is a $1230 difference. With that $1230 you can buy 102 $12 drinks to make up for the free "happy hour" you lose. Or you can buy the Premium Bev package for 2 people for 7 days at $800. And then you can eat at several premium restaurants for the days you do not use CK. You will still be ahead, dollar wise. What do you think??

With the announcement of the Suite upgrades starting in May 2016, I was wondering what everyone thought about this: "perhaps a JS is a better deal than a GS". The biggest enhancement to JS is that you can eat dinner in Coastal Kitchen (we will be trying that this Nov on Allure in a GS). Everyone seems to say that the food in CK is superior to main dining room. That is big. We have stayed in a JS with a "hump" balcony and the room is great. Here is an example. Nov 29 2016 sailing on Allure in a GS for 2 seniors is $4566. The JS on the same sailing is $3336. That is a $1230 difference. With that $1230 you can buy 102 $12 drinks to make up for the free "happy hour" you lose. Or you can buy the Premium Bev package for 2 people for 7 days at $800. And then you can eat at several premium restaurants for the days you do not use CK. You will still be ahead, dollar wise. What do you think??

I'd go with the JS, but we tend to be frugal. The few times we've done suites, it's always been in a JS. You get the extra space and double points, but without the extra cost for the GS upgrade.

You could book a Q class interior for two people for $1997 and would save $1339 over the JS, Same logic applies.

It's all a matter of preferences. No one can tell you how spend your money or whether a JS or a GS is a better value.

I have not stayed in a GS but stayed in JS and CL. I think the GS tend to be overpriced, imo. I booked a CL on the Harmony 12/17/16 sailing during the 30 sale for only $4600.

I thought CK menus got a little monotonous by the end of the week, and the dinner menu want a wow. There was a menu changed mid week but it seemed more or less of the same. However, better than the MDR. The food during the day in the suite lounge was nothing special.

That being said, in a GS and above you have some other benefits not available to JS such as access to the suite only sun deck, reserved show seating, free VOOM internet, and private beach access.

I would stay in a JS or CL again but probably wouldn't bother with a GS.

When DW ad I sailed on Oasis in August we had a grand suite.

Besides the CL lounge and CK the advantage was the only reservation we needed was for the comedy show.

The concierge took care of Izumi Hibachi reservations for us, we didn't need any show reservations as we just showed our gold card and sat in reserved seating

We did do MTD and did not have any wait as they have a special hostess for you and are seated immediately.These are a few of the perks that came with the god card.

Cruisinthrough--I looked at CL with balcony on Harmony on 12/17/16 and saw price of $6905 for 2 seniors. You must have gotten a good deal.

I noticed the rates went up a lot. The 30 /30 sale was a great deal the first few days of June. There was a Harmony thread talking about the price drops from the initial Harmony pricing. I jumped on a CL then. At the time the 7 day Harmony sailing was $200 more than the 5 day Allure sailing on 12/18. [emoji15]

Where did you find out about the suite changes? I looked at the RCCL website and couldn't find anything. Getting ready to book so just curious. FYI, we are D+ and usually get a JS. Thanks!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/RoyalSuiteClass

How did I find that, from this page

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

When DW ad I sailed on Oasis in August we had a grand suite.

Besides the CL lounge and CK the advantage was the only reservation we needed was for the comedy show.

The concierge took care of Izumi Hibachi reservations for us, we didn't need any show reservations as we just showed our gold card and sat in reserved seating

We did do MTD and did not have any wait as they have a special hostess for you and are seated immediately.These are a few of the perks that came with the god card.

Freudian typo! :D

We have stayed in full suites 4 times on oasis and multiple times on other class ships within the RC fleet. Here are the best parts of Oasis:

Coastal kitchen - made to order breakfast, nice lunch and dinner - better quality food than MDR.

Suite lounge- beer and wine 1130-11pm

Comedy tickets and other shows - we typically only go to the comedy show

Labadee - western

Tour invites (bridge etc)

Champagne and other treats delivered daily

Concierge

Spa discounts (yes suites get better deals)

Lots of Extra room

We like suites and have traveled them extensively across multiple lines. RC is not the best perks wise but it's enough for us. We like to escape the herd on vacation.

Edited by CaribSailor

You could book a Q class interior for two people for $1997 and would save $1339 over the JS, Same logic applies.

It's all a matter of preferences. No one can tell you how spend your money or whether a JS or a GS is a better value.

^^^ Best comment ever!!!

Look at what is important to you and decide. We feel like the Gold Card of the suites does make for a bit of a "ship in a ship" experience and it isn't about the drinks. One could also get a drink package for less that then cost of a suite upgrade. But now that we just hit diamond and have some access to a "get away area", reconsidering the whole thing.

We have stayed in full suites 4 times on oasis and multiple times on other class ships within the RC fleet. Here are the best parts of Oasis:

Coastal kitchen - made to order breakfast, nice lunch and dinner - better quality food than MDR.

Suite lounge- beer and wine 1130-11pm

Comedy tickets and other shows - we typically only go to the comedy show

Labadee - western

Tour invites (bridge etc)

Champagne and other treats delivered daily

Concierge

Spa discounts (yes suites get better deals)

Lots of Extra room

We like suites and have traveled them extensively across multiple lines. RC is not the best perks wise but it's enough for us. We like to escape the herd on vacation.

I'm curious about what kind of spa discounts you rec'd as a Suite guest on Oasis and how you knew about them.

Having stayed in a grandsuite on the Quantum, IMO if you can afford it why not do it- - love the perks. The suite lounge is great and the fact that you have priority service is also wonderful. We like the idea of being able to book a cabana at labadee or cocokey and if you aren't in a grand and above suite you cannot do it in advance. Also, being able to secure reservations for shows and specialty dinners should you like on board without any hassel is also a good perk. The extra room of course is really nice. We booked a GS on the Harmony of the sea the week the bookings came out and got a good rate for March 2017.

However, you must do what your budget allows you to- We have also had great RC cruises staying in a CPV cabin on the Allure and Oasis. So whatever works best- just do it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Cruise a holic

I have not stayed in a GS but stayed in JS and CL. I think the GS tend to be overpriced, imo. I booked a CL on the Harmony 12/17/16 sailing during the 30 sale for only $4600.

I thought CK menus got a little monotonous by the end of the week, and the dinner menu want a wow. There was a menu changed mid week but it seemed more or less of the same. However, better than the MDR. The food during the day in the suite lounge was nothing special.

That being said, in a GS and above you have some other benefits not available to JS such as access to the suite only sun deck, reserved show seating, free VOOM internet, and private beach access.

I would stay in a JS or CL again but probably wouldn't bother with a GS.

I have cruised enough to know many of the abbreviations:

GS refers to Grand Suite

JS refers to Junior Suite

CL refers to Concierge LOUNGE, not a type of cabin suite.

So I am confused as to what you are referring to.

We are booked on that exact cruise in a JS hump cabin. The price was very good! If we had CK privileges, it would have been even better, but that doesn't start until May. As you stated, we will be eating in the specialty restaurants for most of the cruise with the money we saved by not booking a GS.

Edited by kalliekae

• 2 weeks later...